Posted in music on December 17, 2013

"Me, with my dog 'Cupid' (from Dev's Tumblr)
Blood Orange

Dev Hynes' stellar year (including releasing Blood Orange's acclaimed new album, Cupid Deluxe) apparently got struck a sad blow -- according to tweets on his official Twitter account, his apartment burned down last night. This morning he wrote:

Last night, the unthinkable happened. My entire apt burnt down while I was out. I've lost everything I own, including scores, hard drives, clothes, sentimental items. Everything from my life is gone. My dog died in the fire. I will love you forever Cupid. I miss you. I still don't own a phone. So email me if you need to get in touch. I might need some time. Thanks.
Dev, very sad about your dog, but glad you're okay.

UPDATE: The mother of Samantha Urbani (who is Dev's girlfriend and sings on the album) set up a GoFundMe page if you'd like to help out Dev.

Meanwhile, Blood Orange will tour in 2014, including NYC at February 6 at Webster Hall which is sold out.

does solange have an alibi for the night of the blaze???

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 11:40 AM

It will all work out.

Posted by ghost | December 17, 2013 11:51 AM

Reminds me to get renters insurance on my deathtrap

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 11:53 AM

good luck to him.

I saw Blood Orange own a crowd of 20 or 30 people at the middle east, opening for solo luke temple just before the monster hwgm tour a few years ago. relieved that he's gotten recognized b/c it was scary as hell to think you could be that good and not have people come out.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 11:56 AM

Dogs are helpless locked in an apartment as the building burns. So sad for Cupid.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 12:00 PM

i am not familiar with dev's music but man, this is the worst. this is actually one of those times i would donate a little cash to help out - and one of the only times i remember that the person in question isn't asking for anything. good luck dev - hope things improve soon.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 12:11 PM

wow BK Vegan, are you really fishing for vicious shitty fucking comments on this mess, hasn't this man been through enough today?

Posted by flapjack walpozoozeetar freetir glarglar borfnort | December 17, 2013 12:22 PM

BV, organize a holiday helping hand for the guy. Plenty of fans and readers willing to donate.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 12:33 PM

12:22 - So far no vicious comments...only sincere feelings of grief and well-wishing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 12:41 PM

Like 12:33 said, plenty of us would be willing to help him out, super nice and talented guy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 12:43 PM

Really sad. Some things are just out of our control. Happy to see all the respectful comments. Rest in peace Lil pup.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 12:47 PM

dev is a great guy and this is really terrible news. puts things into perspective.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 1:05 PM

The East Village is not in Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 1:42 PM

wasn't this in manhattan tho?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 1:50 PM

Sad news, especially with his dog dying.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 2:31 PM

"...it was scary as hell to think you could be that good and not have people come out."

Sounds too hyperbolic. And success is not directly intertwined with "how good you are". Unfortunately, that's just how it goes a lot of the time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 2:45 PM

You can donate here: http://www.gofundme.com/5sw3bw

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 3:09 PM

Dev is the best--really sorry to hear this. Hopefully he can reunite the Test Isicles

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 3:18 PM

why does he deserve donations? because he is a (relatively) affluent musician living in new york city? donate to the relief effort in the philippines or to battling wildfires. this resident prince-wannabe will be fine

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 3:41 PM

good luck dev, RIP your dog

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 3:44 PM

@3:41 have you ever known a non famous person to lose everything in a fire? i have, and guess what? people still donated money and clothes and housewares to them, even though they were a lowly common poor and not a hip musician. it's nice to help out, asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 3:56 PM

I don't follow this guy, but this is the fucking worst.

Strength to you, my man.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2013 4:21 PM

Shout out to hurtful BV comment threads

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2013 12:17 PM

I am very very sorry for his dog. but this is insulting. i hope they're ashamed of themselves.think of all the people every day that lose everything and have no insurance. they don't need those money! He wrote the album for florence, not for arab strap! that album sold a fortune! and what about insurance??!! I will never believe that he doesn't have any insurance. A waitress needs to work 15 month to get 20k.

Posted by mogwai | December 18, 2013 12:57 PM

You're not just a delusional idiot 12:57, but you're sad, pathetic and evil. He is not some wealthy musician, but like most people who suffer for the art, he's earning a living and that's about it. In one night, his pet, his home, and the entirety of his possessions were destroyed. And what happened, hundreds of people stepped up and contributed what they could and a gofundme that was started by his girlfriend's mother has raised not just the 5000 goal but 20K. Many if not MOST of those contributing were friends, acquaintances and fans. This is a time to celebrate people coming together, not to rant some misguided nonsense.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2013 1:19 PM

why would you read a music blog and comment if you think it's so outrageous that people would want to support musicians they like? it's a false equivalency to compare that to tragedies in the world. any community would rally around someone in them who had their house burned down.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2013 1:27 PM

1:19. middle class things that money can buy everything. even feelings. Actually, I am pretty sure that the guys don't know anything about it. And I hope they will give the money back. Do you think that 20k or 200k will bring his dog back? Regarding the "possesions", they are just material things and however there are insurance companies who will deal with it. My point is that raise this money is totally unecessary. Actually, I am pretty sure that the guys don't know anything about it. And I hope they will give the money back. I mean, if my house will burn tonight with my dog in, last thing I will need is someone raising money for me.

Posted by mogwai | December 18, 2013 1:48 PM

people are giving to them because they love them and that is probably also associated with the love that they have felt from dev, from near or afar. so to the people that are criticizing this, what would people donate if your place went up in flames?

Posted by MJ | December 18, 2013 2:20 PM

and furthermore, i'm sure that he would trade in an instant whatever amount of money that is raised for his home and dog back.

Posted by MJ | December 18, 2013 2:23 PM

1:48, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If your place burned down with all of the hard earned fruits of your irreplaceable creative labor inside of it and you think that the very last thing you would need is someone raising money for you, then I challenge you to do just that and see if the extra support doesn't help. This guy put everything into his career and not only were countless, unfathomable hours of his work destroyed along with his scores and hard drives, but also the physical manifestations of his memories that have helped him to create were burned to the ground. it's cool now to play the unmaterialistic card and say that possessions are just "things" but for an artist and a sentimental person, they are not just things. Clothes are the image that help to sell and shape the artist visually, and possessions of worth were purchased by money which was purchased by time. you can't get time back, and watching all of these things burn is like watching all of the years spent earning your earthly possessions go to waste. Time is what he lost and that is a tragedy for someone with so much to give and just one lifetime to get it all out. Additionally, musical equipment is not cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if the 20 grand didn't even completely cover replacing all of the technical equipment this man needs to earn his livelihood. It won't replace the time spent nurturing his scores that went up in flames. I hope he takes the money that we donated and spends it in whatever way makes him happy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2013 2:28 PM

2:28. If my house will burn tonight I will not need money. Money cannot help AT ALL the devastation and pain. All the material things will be sorted out by insurance. Of course the memories will go on flame. and that will hurt. But money cannot buy everything.
Musical equipment? There is insurance. No way that a musician of that level doesn't have insurances.
"Clothes are the image that help to sell and shape the artist visually". are you sure? what about pixies. pavement. mogwai. spacemen 3. my bloody valentine (I can carry on)? they never gave a fuck to clothes. and kim deal is the coolest person alive. and also for clothes there are insurances.
I am pretty sure he will not accept any money. Unless he doesnt have any insurances. But in that area I think none will rent you a house if you don't have an insurance. It's compulsory.
Anyway I am sad for what happened. It's not nice. And losing in that way the dog is horrible and I don't wish it to anyone.

Posted by mogwai | December 18, 2013 2:43 PM

mogwai, just don't donate and leave the situation be. don't use this space to impose your morals and views about how the world should be on everyone else. and if he accepts some/all of the money, then what? and if he didn't have insurance then what? your reality falls apart? what good are your views and principles then?

and sorry, but the "not caring about clothes" kind of outfit is a statement in itself, whether the wearer intends it or not, because certain people/fans come to identify with it. besides, people pay a lot to look like they don't care too. things and appearances do not hold so much intrinsic value in and of themselves...it's about their effects and the meanings others give to them.

Posted by kAA | December 18, 2013 3:08 PM

I'm not talking about pixies, pavement, or mogwai. I'm talking about Dev and he had a very distinct style that took time and effort to cultivate. it's not shallow for him to do that as an artist, it is another distinguishable facet of his creativity that he has to build now from the ground up. to assume that everyone has insurance is ignorant, and even if he does have insurance for some things, there are other things like photos and keepsakes from ones life and career that are irreplaceable. you are also failing to acknowledge the extensive work he lost. I hope some of it was backed up somewhere but I know that if I lost my own harddrive there would be years of work gone and also years of future work lost that depend on these archives that I took the time to create. as friends/fans/people who respect that he is a good person undeserving of this trauma, we are donating to help him through this time, something very awful happened to him and his dog, and the least we could do is pitch in via cash what we wish we could be there in person to give him- dinner, a new coffee table, a cool musical instrument, a drink, a jacket, a movie ticket, whatever. It wasn't his fault that these things were lost and if we could all come together to help him gain his peace of mind back as effortlessly as possible, that's what we're choosing to do as people whose lives have been impacted by him in whatever minute way. this isn't one person handing over 20 grand. this is over 800 people who like this guy and want him to continue to succeed and are offering what they can contribute in the moment to make his life a little less stressful. it is not dishonorable to take something that 800 people think you deserve. he doesn't need to burden of people judging him for receiving help. we gave because we want him to have. he has already lost his dog, if we can try to restore whatever is replaceable that is the least we can do as friends. mogwai please take your negativity elsewhere.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2013 3:35 PM

The ignorance of Americans always amaze me. If you do not want to contribute , shut your mouth 'cause no one is compelling you to donate. If you feel like it is the right cause then go for it. To others, keep your smartass comments to yourself. If you want to vent, go to the nearest toilet bowl. Do you have any idea how much it takes to create art ? You people are those who stream shitty spotify and think music is fundamentally free.

Posted by DByrne | December 18, 2013 5:43 PM

My advice to all of you naysayers is this... go to the gofundme page and see what's happening there. Fans, friends and relatives from all over the world are giving $5 or $50 or whatever they can afford to a talented man who lost everything he owned, including his sweet puppy. Most of these people are donating the price of a concert ticket, or less. Even better than the money is the collection of comments posted along with the donations from people who feel good about helping a fellow human who has been though a lot, despite that his last album has made all sorts of best of lists. Reading those comments reminds me of "It's a Wonderful Life". Go check it out and then maybe you'll understand.

Posted by ren | December 18, 2013 6:25 PM

5:43 isn't David Byrne because The Talking Heads discography is on spotify. so ya

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2013 6:53 PM

I think its safe to say that the majority of people who listen to Dev's music have illegally downloaded it.

Posted by Jinny | December 18, 2013 10:27 PM

I think dev hynes is embarassed from this pledge. he would have never done something like this. he doesn't need money. money cannot buy talent. and talent cannot go burn in flames. If fans want to show them respect, they should buy his MUSIC, and not stealing it from the internet. I really hope that ALL the 800 people who send money, never stole his music from the internet. Money cannot buy everything.

Posted by mogwai | December 19, 2013 6:50 PM

Mogwai shut up already. His new album fucking sucked so no one got it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2013 8:24 PM