Posted in metal | music on January 20, 2014

videos by unARTig

Deafheaven at 285 Kent - 1/18/14 (via FADER)
Deafheaven

Brooklyn DIY venue 285 Kent is now closed for good, but it went out with a bang: four final shows with killer lineups and special guests. One of those special guests was Deafheaven on Saturday (1/18), who joined the previously announced lineup of Wolf Eyes, Noveller, Alberich, MV Carbon, Lussuria and Sugarm. unARTig was on the scene and got full set videos of Deafheaven and Wolf Eyes, which you can watch below.

Deafheaven will be back in NYC in June for Governors Ball.

If you missed it, we also wrote about 285's Laurel Halo/Autre Ne Veut/etc show and the Fucked Up/DIIV/White Lung/etc show.

Videos below...

Deafheaven at 285 Kent 2014

Wolf Eyes at 285 Kent 2014

285 Kent's green room (via @whoahbloackbetty)
Deafheaven

I didn't go to this show, but I heard this bands name at least 40-50 times in passing conversation throughout the weekend. I have yet to figure out why THIS album by THIS band is the metal album that everyone went crazy for. Impressive I guess, I don't know if it was their marketing, pitchfork's endorsement or what...

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 11:50 AM

^probably right time right place, but hype or not, this IS a very good album.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 11:53 AM

Yeah, the album is fantastic. Its not dummy black metal album written for people that steal copper wire.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 11:55 AM

boring as fuck album, really sucks that people compare it to loveless, theyre more of a shitty screamo band playing bm - what a travesty

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 11:58 AM

The album is fucking terrible, you dorks just like what Pitchfork and BV spoon-feed to you.

Also, can we stop acting like we're losing some great venue? 285 was an awful, DIY shithole that was open for year and hosted literally 0 memorable shows. The CBGB toilet is more important than this place.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 11:59 AM

Keep swallowing NWN prod garbage and calling yourself a freethinker buddy

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:01 PM

never heard deafheaven but i watched the first 3 minutes of that video and i was laughing so hard i woke up my girl

the singer alone is hilarious!!! i bet these guys were all playing in a pop punk band 5 years ago. no one over 18 gets a pass for liking this.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Nothing spells taste better than ROUGH TRADE. FYI talking about taste on BV is similar to talking about the proper etiquette of eating pizza, but at the end of the day you are still a dandy.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Holy moly that Deafheaven video is hilarious. So wild what the kids are convincing themselves to like these days.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:09 PM

artisan hand-made hipster sausage is still sausage. Didn't Shakespeare say that?

ZING!

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:11 PM

The music itself isn't bad, but I just cannot get past the horrible screaming vocals

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:19 PM

Wow, you all are so smart!

If it's not one complaint about a band, it's another.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:20 PM

holy fuck they're horrible! shoegaze nothing! its ridiculous vocals sung by some theatrical tool over cliche post rock

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:22 PM

any women in the crowd?

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:31 PM

deafheaven sounds decent on record. music doesn't quite work unless the live mix is done well with the vox buried.

the fact that the rest of the band looks like they're bored at band practice doesn't help.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:33 PM

they went on around 3 and at that point more than half of the crowd had left

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:35 PM

Holy shit Deafheaven is a million times worse than I thought, and I already thought they sucked. Sounds like mid-tier shoegaze with a 3 year old having a brat attack. Garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:41 PM

Couldn't the booker find a better surprise band? Hope they didnt fly those clowns out there...

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 12:59 PM

can we start a paypal fund so the dude who plays guitar in Deafhaven cuts his rat's tail? or what is it? a mini-mullet?

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 1:05 PM

Watching that video for Deafheaven and wow the bar has been officially lowered. Is this dick just repeatedly screaming, "die! die! die!"?

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 1:15 PM

Sweet di6 shirt. This band should seriously be killed.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 2:41 PM

whoa. deafheaven sounds real silly.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 2:57 PM

can't sing for shit, but I'd touch cocks with him any day of the week.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 5:47 PM

Some of this hate has that "when I was your age..." vibe which always makes me a little sad for the guy typing the comment. Sure, whatever the music that was loved when you were socializing in your late teens to early twenties was the best music and nothing else can compare. Whatever venues you spent in your late teens and early twenties were the best venues and nothing else can compare. Sure. Keep telling yourself that at the keyboard...

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 7:04 PM

I'm pretty sure the Deafheaven hate is really only one or two guys who have shitty bands that can't even get on a bill at Saint Vitus.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 7:41 PM

Agree with 7:04 on Deafheaven. My kid got me into them. My first reaction was, "No thanks, bud." But it grew on me pretty quickly. That's what happens: you reject everything new in your thirties, then you have kids. They catch you up with the times.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 8:30 PM

hmm… let's see what is so amazing about Deaf Heaven?

Not sure really. If you are into black metal, they are not doing anything new or better than anyone. I am not saying they suck or anything.
They are incorporating a couple of other forms songwriting pretty popular for a number of years and the combination is not new.

Maybe non black metal guys and gals relate to them more? They are like magnets to this Pelican like portion? They hear that parts of black metal are melancholic and beautifully sorrowful and think it's Deaf Heaven?
They are hyped big time, so they are buying hook , line & sinker?

Does not really matter.

I think the best new bands close to what they do are:
Agrimonia
Vattnet Viskar
Portal

By the way, they are tons of bad black metal bands and they are not one of them.

Done.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 9:21 PM

No Wolf Eyes comments?

That says to me, all are wasting their time.

oops, so am I right now.

Damn it.

Bye.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 9:24 PM

Def Heavy's singer is about as scary as Morrisey on a crippled pony and do not kid yourself, that is some scary shit.

I bet he eats pigeons.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 9:28 PM

Black Metal?

Racist and blind to boot!

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2014 9:32 PM

hey 7:04, no dude, deafheaven literally is bad music that gets hyped by people with sus taste and 285 was always a terrible venue and is no big loss...glasslands is better and thats why its still there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 12:50 AM

0% Black Metal, 100% Screamo.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 10:27 AM

Plenty of other metal(-like) bands that are hitting up NY and have already hit up NY recently that are much less boring than Deafheaven.

(I'm not) sorry to be another one of those that thinks this band is annoyingly overrated.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 11:03 AM

Portal is so fucking boring and not better than deafheaven. The only reason why deafheaven is cool is because the member don't look like they collect copper wire for a living. Metal bros hate bands that look like normal member of society.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 12:11 PM

so nice to see so many sharing the same opinion of this shit band.
worst record of 2013.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 2:49 PM

ultimately, whether deafheaven's music is black metal (or incorporates stylistic elements of the genre) or not is beside the point. what matters is that however you want to categorize their music genre-wise, deafheaven is corny as hell.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 3:58 PM

deafheaven sounds like my joke band from high school...maybe we should've moved to brooklyn & taken ourselves a bit more seriously

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 4:13 PM

Seriously Deafheaven... brand new Death In June shirt? I have to think that anyone who has gone far back enough to revisit early genre influences would also AT MINIMUM be partially aware of the political ramifications of such a fashion statement. These guys are young; I am hoping it is just a juvenile grab for some black metal kvlt cred. But I gots a problem with it. And too bad cuz I actually fuckin LIKE Deafheaven!

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 5:28 PM

I wish I could listen this album

Posted by Ballinger | February 26, 2014 6:35 AM

Personally I'd say that singer looks kinda like one of the bigger assholes I have ever seen in my life...

Posted by Soli | November 2, 2014 3:35 PM