Posted in metal | music | tour dates on January 21, 2014

By Doug Moore

Metallica at the Apollo Theater, 2013 (more by P Squared)

You may recall that Metallica's Kirk Hammett is holding a metal + monster movie-themed festival called Fear FestEvil (groan) at San Francisco's Regency Ballroom from February 6 - 8, where he'll play encores with Exodus and Death Angel. (Tix are on sale.) We caught up with Hammett over at Invisible Oranges for a chat about the festival:

How did your passion for horror films and heavy music evolve to the point where you are now?

I would say that now my collection has reached a certain point, and I've done my book Too Much Horror Business, and I've done the two Orion Festivals, which had Kirk's Crypt in it, and now I'm finally doing this convention. I really feel that I've finally been able to bring my two real passions together into one solid format. It's taken thirty or forty years of evolution to come to that point [laughs]. But, more importantly, it's taken me that long to come to that point and actually be serious about it and feel like I actually have something to offer and feel like I have something that's new and different and something to potentially be a very unique experience for anyone who wants to experience it. It's a huge victory, a huge triumph for me to be able to blend these two things together.

Other subjects of conversation include, his relationship with his former West Coast thrash peers, last year's 30th anniversary of Kill Em All, and Metallica's upcoming plans.

For instance, Metallica had previously announced that they'd debut a new song on their upcoming European and South American tours. Hammett waffles on the subject in this interview, though: "I don't know [laughs]. We know that we've gotta do something, and so whether or not that happens or not, we don't really know." Hammett has expressed tepid sentiments about Metallica's upcoming studio time elsewhere recently, telling Billboard that the band were "procrastinating greatly" on their new album and that they had "run out of excuses" for not starting it. Such enthusiasm!

Read our whole interview over at IO, and don't forget that Metallica will be performing at the Grammys on 1/26, alongside the likes of Paul McCartney, Daft Punk, Stevie Wonder, and more. With friends like those, who needs a new album?

Check out all of Metallica's upcoming international dates below...

Metallica South American Dates

July 6, 2014 - Sonisphere Knebworth - Stevenage, England
July 8, 2014 - Aerodrome Festival - Prague, Czech Republic
July 9, 2014 - Krieau Rocks - Vienna, Austria
July 11, 2014 - National Stadium, Sonisphere - Warsaw, Poland

I was in Metallica.

Posted by Dave Mustaine | January 21, 2014 12:08 PM

Full of shit millionaire rockstar decides to keep the Bay Area thrash metal scene alive.
Where has he been all this time? Getting a tan while surfing in Hawaii? Does he think all the bands are holding their breath waiting for him to save them?

Metallica is shit. Everybody is laughing at their music in the Bay Area while being jealous of their bank accounts.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 12:34 PM

I love when people hate on Metallica for se11ing out. I don't blame them one bit. I would se11 out in a heartbeat.
Ya know what? Their 80's catalog still holds up, and they are still one of the best live bands around.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 1:26 PM

^ I love when people use asinine phrases such as "hate on." It makes me feel much more intelligent than them.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 1:29 PM

I'm glad that my use of a street colloquial term gives you a superiority complex.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 1:44 PM

is "se ll out" blocked now? oh lawd

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 1:49 PM

Metallica ... I thought they were playing with penguins or something

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 2:34 PM

"a street colloquial term" - That is too funny! What streets are you from? I hope it wasn't too much of a hard-knock life.

Posted by 1:29 | January 21, 2014 2:40 PM

I ain't never heard Annie usin' the phrase "hating on". Shiiiit.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 2:48 PM

1:26 is so GANGSTA!

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 2:51 PM

No, the real gangsta is 1:29, who needs validation of his level of intelligence by belittling people who post on blogs.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 4:13 PM

P U S S Y F I G H T

Take it to Jay St, fellas

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 7:32 PM

MEHtallica 1st 3 are awesome by any standard
Then just a good one
Then the sellout cash grab
Then piles and piles of horseshit, and Lars still hasn't learned how to play in fucking time

if it ain't magic no mo at this point, it's gone daddy gone

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 8:55 PM

***FACT*** Load is an amazing metal album, i dont understand what others were hating on that album about. Sure it brought back all of the metal roots but sure people didnt understant it. UNtil it sleeps is one of metallicas darkest songs and it was a definite hit amongst metal fans of the era. Kids these days simply do not understand real rock, real metal!

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 9:19 PM

^ dude, you have no understanding of music whatsoever. please stop posting here, forever. really.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 9:40 PM

Clown shit.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 10:36 PM

9:40 : Sounds like a limp bizkit fam. AMIRIGHT???

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2014 11:15 PM

Everyone says that Metallica lost it after And Justice for All. But were they ever actually good? I mean Master of Puppets has good production and artwork, but the music is just chugga chugga power chords and corny hair metal solos with silly lyrics. To me they always sounded like high school kids trying to be Motorhead.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2014 12:31 AM

pussy riot >

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2014 1:52 AM

Metallica has TRUE fans and we true fans love and respect all of their music. I'm not a fair weathered fan like most rock poseurs. I was true since day on and I will be true til the end. You try recording n album like Black Album and we'll see who gets true metal respect.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2014 5:00 AM

***TRUTH*** Metallica fans are like a 10th grader on meth - both talk endless lines of shit that just seems sooo clear and true to them but is disjointed nonsense to literally everyone else on the planet

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2014 8:39 AM

Hating on ladder 2 seaming fair weathered fans.

Posted by 1:29 wins. | January 22, 2014 3:20 PM

Metallica is the DEFINITION of metal. All others simply followed in their footsteps. Name one other band who crushes and slaughters so damn hard every show? No other.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2014 5:18 PM

5:18 don't worry, you'll make Troll Varsity some day.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2014 5:21 PM

Kirk is probably the most real and down to earth guy in that band, but why try to convince you MicroKorg wielding nobodies that he's actually a solid guy? Trollfarts all over this corner of the Internet.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2014 8:55 PM

That...was...awesome.

Posted by Cromer | February 26, 2014 6:13 AM

Here ladies and gentlemen is succinct proof of the reason that Amerika is sliding down the shitter. Ppl like these posters do not have a clue how the government is fucking them in the ass. Worse yet its posters like these that vote for the party(democrats) that fucking them the hardest. These morons just do not know yet or put no effort to read about how their rights are being taken away and told what to do.

Posted by Jona | November 2, 2014 4:35 PM