Posted in movies | music on January 9, 2014

Lee "Scratch" Perry @ LPR during RBMA 2013 (more by Greg Cristman)
Lee Scratch Perry

Remember when the Red Bull Music Academy "took over" New York City for most of May 2013, bringing in such luminaries as Brian Eno, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Giorgio Moroder, Kim Gordon, James Murphy, and many more to play and talk about music? You can relive that month -- or get a taste of what you missed -- in a new documentary, What Difference Does It Make? A Film About Making Music:

What Difference Does It Make? A Film About Making Music explores the challenges that a life in music can bring. Shot with hand-held cameras in a cinema verité style at the 2013 Red Bull Music Academy in New York by award-winning director Ralf Schmerberg, the film seeks to go beyond music, and ask questions about life itself.
The film will screen in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Detroit on February 17 and then be released on the internet for free on February 18. Trailer for the documentary is below.

Additionally, there is a coffee table book too titled For the Record: Conversations with People Who Have Shaped the Way We Listen to Music which pairs artists with journalists and music industry types and lets the discourse flow. Nile Rodgers, Sly & Robbie, Erykah Badu, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Modeselektor and more are featured and all the pairings are listed, along with the book art, below.

What Difference Does It Make? A Film About Making Music (Trailer)

IMAGE

Visualizing Music--The Design of "For The Record"

'For the Record' Conversations
DJ Harvey x Ben UFO
Cosey Fanni Tutti x Nik Void
Modeselektor x Mykki Blanco
Erykah Badu x The Underachievers
Just Blaze x Paul Riser
Robert Henke x Tom Oberheim

Red Bull's marketing team must of been high on Meth when they came up with this ridiculous, self indulgent idea!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 10:24 AM

lol, red bull is trying so, so hard.

you're a shitty energy drink. stop trying to be something more.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 10:38 AM

Red Bull is still more legit than Speedy Ortiz

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 11:13 AM

So very, very stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 11:15 AM

"Red Bull Music Academy... the film seeks to go beyond music, and ask questions about life itself"

haha, really?!? Asking the questions about life?!!!

Oh, how sad.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 11:17 AM

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. This is free, first of all, and second of all, it's primary purpose is to document a month of events that they put a tremendous amount of effort into hosting that a lot of you idiots probably patronized. I was at a number of the shows and talks. Some of them were half-baked, sure, but others were great (Pantha du Prince, Eno's talk, Four Tet, etc)...

Red Bull is a brand more than it's an energy drink company, didn't you watch the X-Games when you were 12? Or is this news to you?

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 11:52 AM

Why would I have ever watched the X-Games?

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 12:02 PM

11:52 is fully embracing his intern-status at RedBull HQ.

And, seriously ... the sort of people that watched the X-Games are probably the same dorks that would buy this book and go see this movie.

Extreme, bro!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 12:34 PM

11:52 (ie Red Bull PR rep), you have an uphill battle if your trying to establish some credibility for this entire project.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 12:36 PM

RedBull Marketing Head: "Ok, guys, here's the deal. We need to establish Red Bull as the go-to drink to trendsetters, hipsters, you know...the ones that suggest music to people and those people listen!...I'm open to suggestions"

11:52 "Oh, Oh, Oh...I know, I know, I know - there is a site I go to that totally hits that billyburg, hipster, chill demographic...let me prove to you that: I.GOT.THIS"

11:52 walks out of room double-fisting redbulls.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 12:54 PM

Hi, it's 11:52. I'm not a red bull rep or intern. And what I am actually going to do is watch this for free on the internet if I remember to in February. I just wanted to chime and offer some support for the project because I had a good time at the events. What do you think? I went to a red bull sponsored show and am now walking around Brooklyn in a RB t-shirt and drinking energy drinks all day? Please. I couldn't care less which company sponsors my shows, but I'm sure not going to shit on them (and their staff) for putting in the time and effort.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 1:02 PM

^^Intern.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 2:16 PM

Redbull has been doing the music academy for years. You idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 2:22 PM

^ Who said anything to suggest we didn't know that, you idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 4:02 PM

2:22 loves his redbull and vodka!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 5:03 PM

Haters on here are so retarded. Basically RedBull is throwing a bunch of money into this project so people can enjoy more exposure to actual good music, real artists, and huge innovators. So dudes are crying about it? Honestly..

I can't stand that swill but I have to give huge props to the company for putting this together so that I can actually enjoy it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 6:42 PM

With coffee, you oppress Juan Valdez. With red bull, you oppress hipsters and extreme sports bros, and their respective fan bases.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 11:56 PM

red bull is not just an energy drink. its what we in the biz call a "lifestyle brand"!

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2014 12:25 AM

This is so stupid. It doesn't seem real.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2014 1:31 AM

6:42 and 11:52 are the same PR swine. And all of these artists dancing like monkeys for a few dollars, only to be permanently shamed in a ridiculous Red Bull Book an Red Bull the Movie, you are truly diseased prostitutes.

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2014 4:41 AM