Posted in music on February 12, 2014

by Andrew Sacher

AMBDS

With a name like A Million Billion Dying Suns, this San Francisco band sounds like they could either be totally epic or a bit kitschy, and luckily for us it's the former. Hailing from one of the birthplaces of psychedelic rock, these guys pay more than a little tribute to their '60s foremothers and forefathers, but they're not one of the bands who try to make it sound like the '60s never ended, man. Their psychedelia is covered in the layers of noise and distortion that weren't as common for the genre until the punk rockers finally started taking acid. The band has a good resume too, with members who have performed and recorded with Chaka Khan, Richard Ashcroft, Lauryn Hill and others.

Late last year they released the Strawberry EP, and they're now following that with a new single, "Secret Tree," which makes its premiere in this post. You can check out the new song, along with a list of their upcoming dates (all in California), below...

A Million Billion Dying Suns - "Secret Tree"

A Million Billion Dying Suns -- 2014 Tour Dates
Feb 12 The Satellite Los Angeles, CA
Feb 18 The Knockout San Francisco, CA
Feb 27 Benders Bar & Grill San Francisco, CA

I can't quite pin it down. Why do Sacher posts inspire hatred and violent thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 11:40 AM

Because he's a total idiot (seriously, check out his facebook page. yikes.) who has the music taste & writing ability of a high school freshman.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 11:55 AM

^ Wow, I think you nailed it. He reminds me of when I was in seventh grade trying to write music reviews for the school newspaper.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 1:08 PM

1:08
The difference being that in a year or so Sacher will have this shit down and have a year of writing professionally on his resume while you will still be at your shitty dead-end temp job trolling anonymously on internet forums. Nice life.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 1:16 PM

^ sweet projection. Sorry that it's not true!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 1:21 PM

11:40 - it's the naivete and simple-mindedness of his writing. Worse, it feels like the writing is constantly regressing.

I can see this writing style working for a Bieber fan site, but not for a Brooklyn-based blog that caters to a slightly more advanced and cultivated audience.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 1:39 PM

1:21
It is 100% true and you know it. Sorry you have such a hard time facing reality.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 1:40 PM

LOL so much self referencing here
Yeah, you post at a different time, so of course we can't tell you're the same person by the style of writing.
It's OK, the world needs hole diggers and garbage men too.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 1:43 PM

1:16 - In reality, I have about 7 years freelance writing experience on my resume. I also have a great job - if I told you what it was, you wouldn't believe me anyway. In the meantime, Sacher seems to have had far longer than a year to hone his skills on BV. I was just asking a question and (several people now) have answered it.

Posted by 1:08 | February 12, 2014 2:05 PM

"In reality, I have about 7 years freelance writing experience on my resume."

I think you just described probably 75% of the American working force today. But keep thinking you have some special insight, it really is adorable.

"I also have a great job - if I told you what it was, you wouldn't believe me anyway."

Great, another phantom hedge fund manager. A great job, and yet you have all this time to come on BV and criticize some poor kid just starting out writing? Yeahno.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 2:17 PM

^ you're funny. No hedge funds here. Just a little free time this afternoon. Are you Andrew's mom or something? Calm down. As far as the writing goes, I actually got paid regularly - that puts me above most of the 75%, but 2:12 was right. The $$ sucks in writing. Always has.

Posted by 1:08 | February 12, 2014 2:21 PM

I followed an Twitter argument one night where one of the participants was a freelance writer with many years experience. I do not believe I have ever encountered a more egotistical, priggish, pedantic, and in the end wrong person in my life. Since then I pretty much equate "freelance writer with x years experience" to mean "I am obnoxious, overbearing, generally abrasive, and wholly incapable of working with other people".

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 2:25 PM

^yeah, they can be insufferable. But 98% of them will be done by the time they're in their early 30s. They'll with be writing ad copy or humping some tech writing gig. Or they'll wind up back where they came from, dreams dashed.

Again, kids, there is no $ in writing.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 2:29 PM

2:25 & 2:29 are both correct. All of this + my possible abrasiveness aside, I hope that Sacher reads this and improves, or not.

Posted by 1:08 | February 12, 2014 2:31 PM

Personally, I am pulling for Sacher. I am sure he has high hopes and I hope that he does not become discouraged from all the sirens on this post. Some folks stay at jobs that aren't going to make them millionaires because they actually like what they do, and some do a job for a time to allow for the seeds of innovation to germinate. I hope that Sacher one day opens up his own website, and makes good coin. But first, dude you need to get that shit right!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 2:53 PM

What? Good song

Posted by ACDT | February 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Ha Ha yeah 3:02, we should all be bitter and nasty like you, the world would run much more efficiently then. Thought I read about similar thinking before, in Germany around 1938.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 3:21 PM

^ holy shit are you wacky! Calm the fuck down. Hating sacher = nazism? Genius!!!!

Posted by 1:08 | February 12, 2014 3:23 PM

I'm calm as fuck. You and your bros are the ones hating on the poor kid, and equating supporting the kid's livelihood with ruining his life. Yeah, that's not wacky though. Whomp Whaaah.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 3:31 PM

Ha ha yeah it's irrational to wish the kid the best and support his dream of writing for a blog.

I bet you drown kittens for fun, you fuck. That's when you're not tripping old ladies in the snow.

There are some really cray cray people writing comments on here today.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 3:36 PM

I doubt anyone reads BV for quality writing. It is like the NY Post: 4th grade reading ability is required.

What is worse is that the photographers are worse than the writers.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 4:30 PM

The only kittens I've ever drowned deserved it because they meowed at a meowing level not worthy of their age and experience.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 4:35 PM

I have a trust fund. I don't have to work.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 4:39 PM

You fellows are funny

Posted by Andrew Sacher | February 12, 2014 4:45 PM

When I grow up, I want to be either a phantom hedge fund manager or whatever other career allows me a little free time in the afternoon to post anonymously in the BV comment section!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 6:21 PM

Uhhhhhh......the song is tite tho

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2014 6:42 PM