Posted in music | pictures on February 10, 2014

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin, words by Andrew Sacher

Arctic Monkeys @ MSG - 2/8/14
Arctic Monkeys

As recently as 2011, surrounding the release of Arctic Monkeys' last album, Suck It and See, it didn't seem possible for the band to sell out an arena (at least in America). Despite moving forward artistically, it felt like they were waning in popularity, at risk of remaining remembered only for their early hits, like the bulk of the '00s garage rock/post punk revival breakout bands. But with the deservedly successful AM under their belts, they proved those feelings to be very wrong, taking the stage for a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden Saturday night (2/8), and coming off as anything but a band nostalgic for their breakout period. In fact, they only played two songs from the first album, the massive "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" and non-hit "Dancing Shoes," and the former actually felt out of place, rather than a highlight of the show. Arctic Monkeys have fully made the transition into the uniquely dark, diverse rockers they showed us they could be on Humbug, and it was that which actually made this huge arena show one of the best times I've seen them.

They played almost the entirety of AM, kicking off with the sludge hop of "Do I Wanna Know?," like they've been doing this tour, and hitting everything else but the two ballads and "I Want It All." When they did revisit the previous three albums, they mostly stuck to darker cuts ("Pretty Visitors," "Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair," "Brianstorm") which blended right in with the AM material. They paid tribute to one of the obvious big influences on their new sound, Black Sabbath, working in a snippet of "War Pigs" before the guitar solo on "Arabella." And in honor of the 50th anniversary of The Beatles coming to the US, they covered "All My Loving" as the first song of their encore (which they've done at other tour stops too). For that cover, and pre-encore song "505," the band were joined by friend/collaborator Miles Kane of The Rascals and also of The Last Shadow Puppets with AM frontman Alex Turner. Not a dull moment the whole set.

Deerhunter

Making the show doubly great, it was opened by Deerhunter, who also opened the Boston show on their tour two days earlier. Since openers sometimes get the shaft at MSG, I was worried about how their set would go over, but they still pulled it off. Like at their own shows, the stage was clouded by fog machines and neon lights, and they were pretty loud for an opener at MSG too. Of course, being that their set was only 9 songs, there was no way to get as absorbed in it as a headlining show, but Deerhunter still gave you moments to get lost in, like the krauty jam of "Desire Lines" and the noisy ending to set-closer "Monomania."

Pictures of the show are in this post. They continue, along with the setlists of both bands, videos of Arctic Monkeys (including the "All My Loving" cover and "Arabella-meets-War-Pigs"), and audio of their full set, below...

Arctic Monkeys - "All My Loving" (Beatles Cover) at MSG - 2/8/14

Arctic Monkeys - "Arabella" (w/ snippet of "War Pigs") at MSG - 2/8/14

Arctic Monkeys - "Do I Wanna Know?" at MSG - 2/8/14

Arctic Monkeys at MSG - 2/8/14 (full set audio)

Deerhunter at MSG - 2/8/14 Setlist:

Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair
Snap Out of It
Crying Lightning
Old Yellow Bricks
Fireside
Knee Socks
Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
Arabella
Dancing Shoes
Pretty Visitors
I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Cornerstone
I Wanna Be Yours
Fluorescent Adolescent
505

Encore:
All My Loving (The Beatles cover)
One for the Road
R U Mine?

What a god awful setlist. It's like they are deliberately avoiding the material that actually once made them a fun, decent band.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 9:46 AM

It's weird that deerhunter played this show. I'd do it if someone asked met to play at msg

Posted by Original Fuzz | February 10, 2014 9:53 AM

Suck it Haters......this was such a great show

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:00 AM

Only good stuff this band ever did is the first album and a few songs from the second. Glad to see that's almost entirely ignored in favor of the dull drivel from the last few albums.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:01 AM

I don't listen to Arctic Monkeys or care to really but these guys actually filled MSG when I wasn't expecting it. Touche gentlemen, touche.

Was Lockett there for the Deerhunter set? I didn't see any pictures of him.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:08 AM

9:46 - I totally agree! The set list wasn't great at all. They definitely played for the new fans. Still a great show, though.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:12 AM

lot of young girls at this show. young kids in general.

nothing wrong that, but noone in GA wanted to party. Most of the kids were filming and Alex had to ask for people to put their phones before one song

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:25 AM

The only old stuff they played felt out of place. They have grown so much since the first album and all of the new stuff they played was incredible live. I almost didn't want to hear old songs and I've always believed the old stuff was better. My mind was changed after this show. Deerhunter also is probably the most under rated live band, they killed it even with the singer having the flu.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:27 AM

^^^^^ I actually agree with this guy, thought they put on a great show

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:31 AM

10:25 nailed it. Show was good but GA was dead. iPhone generation high schoolers took up 60% of the arena.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:31 AM

what was the scene like in the men's room?

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:49 AM

i go to much less shows than i used to because too many people not only film but raise their phones as high as possible blocking the view of everyone behind. not just young people either, EVERYONE does it. very inconsiderate

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 10:57 AM

I go to plenty of shows and cell phones aren't really much of an issue. Stop going to see kids bands like the Arctic Monkeys.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 11:04 AM

wow almost everyone has a phone out in the front during that "all my loving" video. that's ridiculous

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 11:13 AM

14 comments and no hummus or iPods joke? Progress!!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 12:11 PM

OK, Rockin Daddy - show your face

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 12:19 PM

I went for the hell of it and they were good but not one of the better shows that I've seen there out of 50 or so over the years. Actually probably one of the weakest. They just don't have the tunes or the chops. They are pretty much a one trick pony. It all sounds the same by the 4th song. Anyone who thought they were great needs to get out more.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 1:14 PM

Bit like black keys, the music´╗┐

Posted by Scarbrough | February 10, 2014 1:18 PM

Kind of this generations Muse right? Not too familiar with them I must say

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 1:28 PM

Sad I missed this just for Deerhunter

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 2:15 PM

Bros and cells. Boring.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 2:59 PM

smh at these sausages. just smdh.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 3:55 PM

Let me be clear... Nobody here ever makes "hummus jokes".
The Hummus Underground that resides here on Brooklyn Vegan utilizes the comment section to discuss the wondrous tan paste which we all know and love. Occasionally a new member may crack a joke or two, but we seasoned members understand.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 5:04 PM

AM have always sucked

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 5:37 PM

1027 If you are going to play MSG you gotta rock the house and play some hits. They did neither. As for the crowd, awful. I will never go see this band again.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2014 11:46 PM

504 Give it up you sad idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2014 1:37 AM

rockin daddy missed out. can only hope they swing back over the summer ;(

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2014 9:53 AM

I thought they were better when they opened for Black Keys at the Garden

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2014 10:52 AM

Mercury Lounge show was way better

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2014 11:38 AM

1052 Shorter set. They really only need to play 30 min. After that it's kind of redundant.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2014 1:39 PM

I'm 17 years old, however I've loved AM along with my whole family since their debut came out in 2006. The last time I saw them was during the Suck it and See tour and that was the greatest gig of my whole life. I was in GA at MSG however and there was a completely different vibe from 2011. The crowd was mostly girls my age who didn't give a shit about the band or the music or anything, just how much they want Alex Turner's dick. Everybody got into the songs off AM, but it seemed as if most people in the crowd were clueless when it came to anything pre-AM. Also, I came into it expecting to at least get a little beaten up in a moshpit. I don't think I was even bumped into the entire time, people were too busy filming it on their phones. I'm not too sure how in the span of 4 years their fans changed from normal people to bandwagon-hopping, Brandy Melville-clad Tumblr girls.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2014 6:23 PM