Posted in metal | music | tour dates on February 3, 2014

Mastodon at Roseland Ballroom in 2012 (more by Rebecca Reed)
Mastodon

Georgia sludge bashers Mastodon have announced that they'll follow 2011's hard rock-oriented The Hunter with their sixth full length at some point this year. It's being produced by Nick Raskulinecz, who also did the upcoming Hold Steady LP, and has worked with Ghost, Foo Fighters, and others. Release date and title still TBA, but stay tuned.

They're also going on a US tour this spring, and they've got some pretty great support coming from French death metal greats Gojira and Norwegian rock 'n' roll devils Kvelertak. The tour hits NYC on May 15 at Terminal 5. Tickets for that show are not on sale yet, but you can check Ticketmaster for updates.

The tour also brings all three bands to Columbus, OH's Rock on the Range festival (5/16 - 5/18), which also includes Guns N Roses, Motorhead, Slayer, Wolfmother, Suicidal Tendencies, Down, Exodus and lots of bands that may steer you away from going like Avenged Sevenfold, Kid Rock, Stained, Seether, Chevelle, Fuel and more.

Full Rock on the Range lineup, along with the list of Mastodon's tour dates, below...

Mastodon -- 2014 Tour Dates

Twelve Foot Ninja
WERM
Monster Truck
Wilson
Crobot
Truckfighters

Honest question: I'm not into any of these bands but I like doom/sludge and 70's metal. Would this be a fun show for me to attend? I know a lot of people like Mastodon but I've also heard that their newer albums don't compare to their earlier works. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 10:20 AM

Kveltertak are really fun live

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 10:41 AM

you should go to the sword/big business in brooklyn based on what you like

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 10:45 AM

10:20 you didn't mention if you wear cargo shorts or not, that makes a big difference.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 11:46 AM

I'd love to see a Kverletak headlining show. Not sure I want to endure T5 just to see them as a first opener.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 11:54 AM

@1020 Mastodon aren't really sludge IMO.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 12:47 PM

10:20: Actually, you kind of answered your own question, right there. I think you will enjoy it for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, Mastodon's last good/great album was Blood Mountain. Wasn't crazy about the last 2 at all.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 3:03 PM

Hopefully Terminal 5 burns down before the show and they pick a better venue.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 3:25 PM

***Stay away from these shows*** I love metal but Mastadon is self parody at this point—with albums about Moby Dick, swords and sorcery mystical nonsense lyrics. Just silly and awful all around.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 3:40 PM

Mastobore

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 8:11 PM

Only neckbeards hate on Mastodon because of the complexity of the guitarists. I can't accept that a sludge/doom band, that isn't swedish 70's ripoff, knows how to play their instruments.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 9:14 PM

"you didn't mention if you wear cargo shorts or not, that makes a big difference."

Not as much of a difference as if you were wearing a scarf and waved your wrists as if they were broken in an accident determining if you FEEL The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, though.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 10:37 PM

Only dumbass scarves play the self-parody card.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2014 11:16 PM

Mastadon is a G-rated Today is the Day. Total Pozer crap! Truly metal sludge for the neckbeard cargo short crowd, a bunch af crap. Eight beers in typin on my phot. Total horns up. We are t

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 12:43 AM

If you're into 70s Doom/Sludge, check out Electric Wizard. They don't tour much in the states due to the lead singer/guitarist's criminal record. Masto is now really proggy and up-tempo. If you're open to a variety of types of metal, I'd check out this show. If sludge and doom is it, this is not the show for you.

No neckbeard or cargos. Scarves when it is cold. Outdoors. Wrists also still going strong.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 12:03 PM

I went on the internet to see if i could get a leviathan t-shirt... they are no longer available.

Posted by Bordelon | February 13, 2014 4:58 AM

I met my boyfriend at this show. We were both there alone. We had caught each other's eyes before the show started. He didn't come up to me until after the show was over. I was surprised that he even remembered to look for me. This concert will forever hold a special place in my heart as it was the night I met the love of my life.

Posted by Alexandra | November 4, 2014 9:43 AM