Posted in music on February 28, 2014

by Bill Pearis

MozMoz

Morrissey is currently in France recording his tenth album, which should be out later this year. It's his first in five years and his first for EMI imprint Harvest. Hopefully it will be out in time for his upcoming North American tour that includes big shows in LA with Tom Jones (at the LA Sports Arena which is sold out) and Brooklyn's Barclays Center on June 21 with Cliff Richard (still tickets available).

Billboard just talked with the Moz about the new record and tour and other topics and, surprisingly, he's got some strong opinions. Asked about The Beatles 50th Anniversary, he quips:

I thought four of their songs were magnificent, and if a band can give you four magnificent songs then that's good enough for me. But was I ever influenced by the Beatles? No.
Billboard did not follow up and ask which four Beatles songs he found magnificent. And on the possibility of a Smiths reunion (it's the 30th anniversary of their first album), he says:
I don't know a single person who wants a Smiths reunion! But, no, there aren't any bands I like to see again because your memory of them is how they were in their prime or at their best or at their most desperate, and you look to them to be someone that they no longer are.
You can read the whole thing over at Billboard.

Tags: Morrissey

Psst...I'm one who would love a Smiths reunion

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:24 PM

He doesn't know you though, does he?

Anyway, this guy wrote a scathing review of the Ramones, his opinion is invalid.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:26 PM

I have a purple douche bag I'd like him to autograph.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:34 PM

It sounds like he's being sarcastic. I hate his music and 99% of the things that come out of his mouth, but this really does sum up how I feel about all of these current reunion tours:

"your memory of them is how they were in their prime or at their best or at their most desperate, and you look to them to be someone that they no longer are."

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:36 PM

His new album is titled "Douche Bag".

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:43 PM

guy's some kinda assed whole

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:43 PM

I just stepped in a pile of morrissey.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:51 PM

Who are the Smiths?

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:52 PM

To be fair, he's right about this:

"Your memory of them is how they were in their prime or at their best or at their most desperate, and you look to them to be someone that they no longer are."

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 2:57 PM

I thought four of their songs were magnificent, and if a band can give you four magnificent songs then that's good enough for me. But was I ever influenced by The Smiths? No.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:01 PM

I'd love to tie him up, gag him with a huge kielbasa, and lash him with strips of crispy bacon

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:07 PM

I don't know a single person who wants a Morrissey arena show.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:10 PM

I don't know a single person who wants a Morrissey solo album in 2014

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:13 PM

Philip Seymour Hoffman wanted a smiths reunion, but he's dead now.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:21 PM

To be fair, he's right about this:

A blanket statement, but not true. Lots of bands have had reunions
and are still great: Blondie, PIL, Buzzocks, Wire, Damned, Mott the Hoople, Television, to name a few. Great music isn't less great because of the passing of time.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:27 PM

327 Not one of those bands are as good as they were back in the day.

310 Tell that to all of those who recently bought tix to see him at Barclays.

313 Not too predictable. Just saw same comment on Rolling Stone.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:42 PM

^^^^assed whole

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:42 PM

^^^ the Eagles

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:42 PM

I got tickets to see him and I'm totally stoked. His shows are epic. And, unlike you tools, I have good taste in music.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:47 PM

The only reunion I'm really concerned with is reuniting this pita triangle back into this robust hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:49 PM

It's important to Morrissey that you post only Morrissey approved photos of him from over 15 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:53 PM

I love Morrissey, but his shows nowadays are far from epic. I've never seen him play long than an hour and 15 minutes, which is pathetic considering how much he charges for tickets and how big his back catalog is.

Also, the way he re-works certain Smiths songs is awful. The rocked-up version of This Charming Man he played a few years ago was embarrassing. I know his guitarists are no Johnny Marr, but come on.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:54 PM

"A Day in the Life"
"Let it Be"
" Rocky Raccoon"
"How Soon is Now"

I think those are the four. They're all Beatles songs, right?

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:54 PM

I eat meat.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 3:55 PM

347 Entertaining yes, but epic? Ha ha, hardly. I've seen him 5 or 6 times and nothing close to "epic".(whatever that means)
354 Got it right. He always seems to be just going through the motions, just playing long enough so people will not be pissed off.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 4:15 PM

3:55 - Hey are you also into fitness? Howz bout fitness meat in yo mouf son?

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 4:26 PM

just googled "robust hummus platter" and now i'm just really concerned about that poor dog

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 4:33 PM

Best Thing About Morrissey : was in The Smiths

Worst Thing About Morrissey : everything else

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 4:38 PM

I enjoyed seeing Johnny Marr recently more than any Morrissey show that I've seen.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 4:38 PM

@ 3:42

Moz's statement was about about memory and expectations- his, not anyone else's. All those bands I mentioned can still rock it and put on a great show. PIL and Wire, and NY Dolls, are as good if not better than they have ever been.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 5:32 PM

Wire in 2002 was awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 6:15 PM

532 PIL & Wire still decent live but not at all what they once were. I saw both bands last year and in the 70's/80's. Dolls may be entertaining but they are NOT The NY Dolls. Their comeback albums are weak and no Johnny Thunders. David Jo would be better off mixing classic Dolls with tunes off his 1st 2 solo lp's.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 6:15 PM

this guy is, and has always been, insufferable

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 6:25 PM

@ 615

You're clueless. PIL, Wire, and the Dolls have all gotten rave reviews. PIL hasn't played in the US since 2012 so don't know which show you're talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 6:43 PM

643 Sure, by people who never saw them back in the day. PIL did play in London last Oct at Shepherds Bush. They were great but now they are pretty much an oldies act. Back in the day they were fresh, new and exciting. At least Wire still puts out decent new music but they seemed like old men at The Bowery last year. Not sure who would give The Dolls a "rave" review.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 8:00 PM

933 Your dopey joke wasn't funny the 1st time.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 9:44 PM

Hey 9:33 it's too close to home and too near the bone, more than you'll ever know

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 10:04 PM

>>I saw The Smiths a couple of times. At The Beacon they were great, at The Pier they were not. Great band back in the 80's but way too much time has passed. Too bad today's newer bands suck so people clamor to hear old music.

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

'80s. NO NOT NEVER 80's.

fuckers.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2014 11:44 AM

^ Just SMH @ people who get angry over grammer and spelling. You have to be a pretty pathetic little bunny to take a spelling mistake so personally, especially if it's meant ironically and said little bunny thinks its funny (wink)

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2014 12:42 PM

Agreed that Wire were fantastic in 2002 but it's been diminished returns ever since. The last few times I've seen them they were dull and borderline insufferable. They lost it somewhere in the last decade.
Morrissey on the other hand has been intolerable far longer than he was ever relevant.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2014 1:32 PM

So how does he explain the New York Dolls reunion he backed some years ago? Funny regarding his Beatles comment, feel similarly regarding the Smiths. Maybe 4 or 5 okay songs. This guy is an overrated ass clown.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2014 5:22 PM

can't believe how good this is

Posted by Weidner | March 18, 2014 6:22 AM