Posted in music | pictures on February 27, 2014

photos by P Squared Photography, words by Bill Pearis

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks @ Bowery Ballroom 2/26/2014
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

"We don't normally play that one, but it's got 'Queens' in it, so...you know," shrugged Stephen Malkmus after he and The Jicks played "Vanessa from Queens" last night (2/26) at Bowery Ballroom, their first of two NYC shows. Nods to the hometown audience are always appreciated -- there was talk of Red Hook (the neighborhood and the beer) too, and no qualifications needed, I say.

Malkmus and the band seemed in a really good mood, and last night's show was terrific, even though they didn't play a single song from his first solo album, which remains my favorite of his post-Pavement records. They did, though, play most of this year's Wig Out at Jagbags which to me is the most entertaining record SM has made since, and he hit most of the highlights from his other records ("Tigers," "Baby, C'mon"), kept jamming to a minimum (a plus in my book), and even pulled out Pavement's "Father to a Sister of Thought" for the encore. Setlist and pics are in this post.

Disappears @ Bowery Ballroom 2/26/2014
Disappears

Opening the show were Chicago's Disappears who played a taught, terrific set. The band are on their third drummer (and fourth album) and while that position is certainly a key component to any band, that seat is especially important with a group whose descriptors frequently include "kraut" and "motorik." All respect to #2 drummer Steve Shelley (a pairing that just couldn't last, dude's too busy), but I think new man Noah Leger is a better fit for Disappears. He's an intense, hard-hitting performer and certainly amps up the tension in their music, which these days is less Stooges and more spacey/atmospheric ("Drill" era Wire comes to mind). Hang on to this one, guys.

The Bowery show was Disappears' last date with Stephen Malkmus. Tonight's (2/27) Jicks show at Music Hall of Williamsburg (sold-out) begins their run with Endless Boogie. More pics from Bowery are below...

SETLIST: Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks @ Bowery Ballroom 2/26/2014
J Smoov
Baby C'mon
Surreal Teenagers

Encore:
Father to a Sister of Thought
Kite In A Closet

Damn, this looked like a good show... I love "Father to a Sister of Thought."

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 12:03 PM

Malkhummus

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 12:14 PM

The Stratocaster is the most overrated guitar ever made

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 12:26 PM

Get there early, Endless boogie are really fun

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 12:35 PM

Endless Boogie = every 1970s AOR cliche thrown into a constant 65 BPM din

no thanks

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 12:41 PM

@12:41, no.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 12:57 PM

@12:41 yes, nail on head

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:03 PM

Malkmus has played strats forever.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:04 PM

Thought Mark Ibold was going to get on stage and lay down some grooves. Didn't happen. Bros in front of stage probably scared him off.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:12 PM

endless boogie, endlessly annoying

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:21 PM

Was Mark Ibold there?

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:31 PM

Love the crowd shots with the guy about to punch psquared and the girl saying 'are you fucking kidding me' with her expression.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:34 PM

Phish at their worst > Malkmus solo

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:34 PM

actually when i saw Malkmus in 2008 at the bowery, i think he was playing a Jazzmaster the whole time. And towards the end of Pavement, he was playing a Gibson. (wow, talk about some rather useless information i know).

But last night was a great show. It would have been great if he had done some more stuff off either "Face the Truth" or "Real Emotional Trash" but the new songs came off sounding really great live and the Jicks were in top form.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:36 PM

@1:31, affirmative.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:38 PM

P squared is such a dweeb. How old is that guy, seriously?

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:38 PM

isn't vanessa from queens off his first solo album?

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:39 PM

V From Q = Pig Lib, son.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:41 PM

E N D L E S S L O O G I E

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 1:56 PM

2:02 grew up in Westchester and moved to Brooklyn after community college.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 2:12 PM

The BC Rich Warlock is the most underrated bass.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 2:16 PM

As noted in a previous thread, Malkmus was very good, but Disappears was awesome. Powerhouse live band.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 2:23 PM

I recall seeing Endless Boogie somewhere, somehow. All I remember was that I had a terrible time.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 2:32 PM

Endless booger

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 3:24 PM

The BC Rich Warlock is the most understated bass.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 3:25 PM

That black Strat has been SM's main axe since the Pavement days. It's a hardtail so most of the more annoying sonic characteristics of Strats are absent.It is the cornerstone of the Jicks' sound.

Posted by Axelrod | February 27, 2014 3:52 PM

Yeah, PSquared is so obnoxious. I was next to him last night and at Factory Floor at 285 Kent and wanted to punch him both times. He behaves like he has a right to the entire floor and shoots during the entire show raising his camera over his head incessantly without regard to other people around him. Also dreading having to see Endless Boogie tonight, they're the worst band I've seen in NYC since Kreisor

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 3:57 PM

Hummus

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 4:22 PM

Wow, what a nice Guild S-300 he pulled out there.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 4:30 PM

Hey guys,

PSquared here. While I just about never respond to trolls on here and have been steadfastly ignoring my incessant pathetic comment stalker, I feel the need to step in and defend against his most recent lie that he made in his futile attempt to pretend he was more than one person

At last night's show, I was in 3 places shooting and never next to you. For most of the show I was between the girl you see in the picture and 2 cool dudes who were big Malkmus fans. As well as the guy and his gf you see in the other crowd photo. Contrary to your comment earlier, the guy not only did not want to punch me but was loving the photo and could not wait to see it. The girl on the other side was equally happy and someone I conversed with the whole show and in fact got her the set list. The 2 other guys I chilled with a bit after the show.

The other 2 places I stood was next to a guy I have been friendly with at shows for a while now. We seem to end up at all the same shows and talk all the time. On the other side I was between a man and his wife who were so gracious and invited me to shoot between them and have asked me to contact them and send them photos which I will happily do.

So you were never in fact next to me at all. Yes I do move around at times to get some different angles but I am extremely polite when doing it and always gracious and thankful to those that allow me in. I may have held a camera above my head to shoot once or twice if that at all. As for shooting the whole show. I do shoot when I feel a great shot is happening at places where there is no photo restriction. I'm working and striving for the best I can get. Sorry if that seems too much for you. I try to be as least intrusive as possible.

I obviously disturbed you at a show and I'm sorry for that. It was never my intention no matter how nasty and angry you seem to be now.

You are free to call me whatever names you like or whatever other crap you do. It's a futile attempt but I will give you credit in your persistence.

I will not bother to respond on here again but felt the need to this time as you presented such a blatant lie it could not go unchecked

As always if you want to discuss the matter privately you can click on the link above or email me at psquaredallmedia@gmail.com. Or you can feel free to come up to me at a show and in person deal with this problem you have. That goes for anyone else. I'm always happy to engage in discussion good or bad and frankly everyone who has come up to me at shows have been wonderful people

Also, and no disrespect intended, but to answer your earlier comment about how old I am. Well I'm young enough to easily deal with someone the likes of you.

Thanks again for all the comments good and bad

Great fucking show last night. Both Bands

Posted by PSquared Photography | February 27, 2014 5:02 PM

great show. However, they truncated most of their songs. That bummed me out. Some of the songs were cut down to one verse, bridge and chorus. Nice they fit so many songs in, but I actually prefer the more jammy Jicks. 1% of One is one of my favorites.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 5:32 PM

Phish writes the same god dammed song every chance they get. No way, on any planet, Phish is better than SM. What a ridiculous claim.

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 5:33 PM

5:33 needs to read the fucking book

Posted by Anonymous | February 27, 2014 10:11 PM

*taut

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 10:03 AM

PSquared just took you all to school.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 10:28 AM

Seriously, whoever is comment stalking Psquared must be crying under a blanket right now. Love it when liars get called out on here.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2014 11:49 AM

Terrific show. Loved getting Vanessa from Queens. Ennui kept to a minimum.

Posted by Trog Lodite | February 28, 2014 5:15 PM

Sounds like it was a great show. Glad people are finally coming around to the Jicks. Malkmus owns you.

Now where are the MHoW photos?

Posted by Herbie | February 28, 2014 8:51 PM

nigga got psquared

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2014 12:36 AM

Camera guys are always getting in the way of shows.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2014 11:03 AM