Posted in metal | music on February 4, 2014

By Doug Moore

Steve Tucker('s finger)
warfather

You may remember that we debuted a song by Warfather, which features ex-Morbid Angel frontman Steve Tucker, a few weeks back. Tucker effectively vanished from music for eight years after appearing on Morbid Angel's 2003 album Heretic before turning up as the frontman for Nader Sadek's one-off death metal album in 2011.

Invisible Oranges spoke to Tucker about the Warfather album and about what he's been up to for most of the past decade. It turns out that Tucker has effectively become a doomsday prepper, which made for an unusual interview:

What are your survival skills?

Well, first of all, where I live, I don't need a grocery store. I don't live 100 percent off the land, but I would if I had to. I have tons of creeks full of fresh water, I have deer in my yard, and I have a pit bull who is trained to take down a large animal. I would not starve. Where I live does not flood, and wouldn't be touched by, say, a tidal wave, so my strategy would be to pretty much stay where I am at, and secure the place. A couple years back, we were hit by this big storm called a derecho. I'd never heard of one in my life, but the thing hit in five minutes. We had 85 mile-per-hour winds. It took out my power for 10 days, and when that happened I realized that having water in my garage was a good thing. I gave some of that water in my garage to my neighbors. So it's all about improvisation and just being ready.

The scarier thought is what do individual groups of people do after society breaks down.

It would become tribal. That's the first thing that happens. People will go be with their families, with people they know, trust and think will protect them. Personally I think people will realize they need to get out of cities. They will travel to places like where I live, and ask people like me to help, I think. So the question you need to answer is: who can you trust? It's the same scenario you come across every day ― can I do business with this person? Can I tell this person a secret? ― but survival would be the consequence.

The weirdest part of the interview is that Tucker actually comes off as kinda level-headed about the subject. You can read the whole thing here.

If you missed it the first time, you can stream that Warfather song below...

but who would do his photo shoots? host his music streams?

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:00 PM

at least we know the st. vitus glory hole will survive the apocalypse

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:03 PM

I wonder if this guy is into Augustines.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:04 PM

Who'd work in the donut shops? What is Micheal Jackson really like??

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:04 PM

lol@ dumbass doomsday preppers. So full of flyover white fear. Pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:09 PM

"lol@ dumbass doomsday preppers. So full of flyover white fear. Pathetic."

Look at what happened in Atlanta with 2 inches of snow. It does not take doomsday to wreck havoc.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:17 PM

You do realize all of these problems could have been solved quite simply if they had hired Paz as bassist to begin with. Oh, sheet, wait a second. I thought I was reading that article on Pitchfork. Ooops.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:32 PM

^ All that proves is how truly stupid the people of Atlanta are. They elected the idiots responsible for that bullshit. That wasn't the first time it ever snowed in Atlanta. It turn into what it did because the idiots who live there kept piling onto the problem. How exactly would have "prepping for doomsday" helped someone stuck in traffic on interstate 85 for 24 hours, dipshit?

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:33 PM

I work in government and we already have a well laid out doomsday plan: we'll take whatever we want whenever we want it. At the expense of your life if you insist. Please continue to stockpile weapons, goods, etc. We're pretty much tracking everything you're doing at all times.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:35 PM

It'll just be combining t a r g e t practice with going to the convenience store with as far as we're concerned.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:35 PM

3:03: Yet the Glasslands GBH can't even survive a virus that's easily preventable.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 3:49 PM

this sausage is just another scared uneducated piece of american white trash who thinks he can take advantage of what civilized society has to offer and if it collapses he'll just turn his back on it and hide in a hole like a frightened animal. "home of the brave" indeed

this is nothing more than psychological white flight. it's pure fantasy. sad how truly pathetic the average american has become in the last 30 years or so. you seem to all be terrified that your fellow countrymen are as rotten to the core and unforgiving as you are. lol which is probably true actually

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 4:02 PM

God, I actually just read that whole interview. Here's an example of some of the stupidity on display:

"I’m an Ohio boy" (shocking, amirite?)

"I think for most of America’s history, we’ve been prepared, and then in the last 50 years we’ve gotten to be lazy, television-watching, computer-screen-staring-at people, when we used to be people that went out and did things."

"Now, at 42, I think of metal as a legitimate form of art, and that a lot of intelligent things come out of it."

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 4:16 PM

Well, we finally found out who John Titor really is

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 4:18 PM

Stupid rednecks. Forever confused as to how the universe works.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 4:35 PM

"I feel most people in cities are probably empty heads following what everyone else is doing and wearing, following in line and making sure they blend in, but that’s not really something I want to do."

"I’m a person who has read a lot of books. When I was a kid, my mother was totally addicted to books, so I started reading when I was really young. I've read a lot of Stephen King books."

*wiping tears of laughter from my eyes*

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 4:40 PM

I want to hear him talk about sausage

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 6:38 PM

self-sufficient sausage

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 7:52 PM

Warfather?
Yes Son?
I want to kill you.
Good luck I haz survivalumism skillz

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 8:16 PM

^best post itt

eye luuuuuuuuuv eet

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2014 8:49 PM

Finally a video with proper sound or least not shitty sound. Great!

Posted by Tilton | February 11, 2014 2:49 AM