Posted in music on March 12, 2014
Sannhet last night @ Mohawk (via Invisible Oranges instagram)
Peter Matthew Bauer of the Walkmen @ Hotel Vegas (via BrooklynVegan instagram)
SXSW 2014 is underway. Lots of the BV team was in Austin before me (including some who live here), but last night I arrived around 11pm, got to my hotel and immediately ventured out towards Mohawk where the Show No Mercy showcase was happening. The first time I came to SXSW I described it as "music Disney World", and nothing has changed. Walking down Red River on my way to the show, I saw a big crowd gathering around Odd Future who were pretending not to notice as they talked among themselves. The Drowners were negotiating their way into Mohawk when I got there, and inside I waited for a beer behind a Vivian Girl while Indian blasted metal from the 'House of Vans' stage.
We're throwing six shows from Wednesday night through Saturday evening, so expect things to be a bit slower around here, but we're doing our best. If you're in Austin, we hope to see you at Red 7 tonight (3/12)! Harvey Sid Fisher warms up the crowd right at 7:30 and then it's a full night of punk till 2am. While you're there, look for our photo booth to create a free momento from the night courtesy of The Photo Booth Party.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday we're back at Red 7 from noon-6pm each day (make sure you RSVP for those day parties). Show up early for 2 bands each day right at noon, and complimentary Jameson. We'll also have a photo booth at the day parties courtesy of Marshall.
Thursday night is our Invisible Oranges metal showcase at Quantum Lounge. Not into metal? Consider stopping by the M For Montreal showcase that night at Maggie Mae's, or Merge Records at the Parish.
Into metal? Check our our complete guide to metal at SXSW 2014.
P.S. you'll also find us in the convention center Saturday afternoon with three bands playing as part of the Flatstock poster convention.
* Britpop is happening
* Jarvis Cocker DJ'd at Hype Hotel
* NPR will be streaming Damon Albarn, St Vincent & more live.
* Lady Gaga is the keynote speaker
* Justin Bieber made a surprise appearance...
* Third Man Records is doing a bunch of stuff
* Burger Records is too.
* There's a Lou Reed tribute.
* Blondie (Deborah Harry) became a Dum Dum Girl
* Edward Snowden spoke about stuff
* Kanye West and Jay Z are playing a show together
* Sailor Jerry hosts a venue full of shows and free tattoos all week.
* Pitchfork has a bunch of SXSW events.
* House of Vans is what they call Mohawk all this week.
* Neil Young talked about his new thing.
* young band Residual Kid are throwing a party
* Julian Casablancas has a new band in Austin
* Waterloo Records has day parties
* Soundgarden is performing Superunknown in full
* Red Bull has their own thing going on
* AND WAY MORE
What have you seen that is good? What are you looking forward to?