Posted in TV | comedy | music on March 9, 2014

SNL

Last night (3/8) was a very Brooklyn episode of Saturday Night Live with Girls' star/creator Lena Dunham hosting, and The National as musical guest. The National performed "Graceless" and "I Need My Girl," both of which are from the band's 2013 album, Trouble Will Find Me and you can watch video of both below.

To up last night's starpower, the episode also featured a bevy of cameos: Liam Neeson, John Hamm, and former SNL castmember Fred Armisen. The next new episode of SNL is March 29 with Louis CK as host. No musical guest has been announced, unless Louis is gonna pull a Drake.

The National will play two Celebrate Brooklyn! shows in Prospect Park in June as part of the band's continuing world tour. Watch their SNL performances below...

The National - "Graceless"

The National - "I Need My Girl"

dear god, so boring.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 1:58 PM

^ooh, burn!

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 2:10 PM

I can't stand all the dumb jokes on BV such as hummus, the ipods, etc. but dear God, the National were boring. Almost embarrassing. They tried to rock it out at the end of the first song, but fell flat.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 2:44 PM

The Worst

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 3:33 PM

extreme mediocrity

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 3:34 PM

Brunchcore

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 5:01 PM

The National on SNL + loosing an hour of sleep = no net change

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 5:24 PM

Late at night, I don't want to be blasted with the annoying sounds of musicians trying to rock out. I was gently lulled to a peaceful enjoyment of the chilled vibe that the National put out. Very appropriate on a mild Saturday night. Well done.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 5:36 PM

SNL has never been worse than it is today. Pointless sketches, bad cast...and shot bands. I'd rather play games on my iphone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 6:16 PM

Really? You think they were boring? You've listened to the band and seen them before live, right? I've been a fan since the second album, and honestly, I thought they sounded great. I mean, The National don't exactly thrash around on stage. We all know this, correct? Granted, they used to scream and rock out live a bit more, but come on, seriously, how are you all bitching so much? Besides, it's fucking SNL. Bands play two songs in 1.5 hours. Most performances on that show are slightly more tame than how the band/artist is usually live. OK, maybe Pearl Jam performing when 'Ten' was released is an exception because they rocked the fucking stage off that place. Look it up. Anyway, the apathy on this site is sickening. Between rehashing jokes for years after their expiration date to the hating on women, most of you should go back home to wherever you came. Or, get the balls to have these discussions in person and not behind an Anonymous post.

Posted by Ted Holbert | March 9, 2014 7:24 PM

^ you have no life, and if I were you I wouldn't be going around telling anyone you actually think those things. That's just crazy talk

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 7:34 PM

I wonder what 7:24's favorite brand of hummus is.

Oh fine. (S)he's actually trying to say something productive. I'm not a National fan and I thought they were somewhat boring (and the lead singer totally looks like a child molester) but they were solid and way better than most bands they've had this season like Imagine Dragons. More like Imagine Dragons Not Sucking.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 7:43 PM

Ted Holbert, you're a slow-witted, shit-music-loving dullard.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 7:43 PM

The National and Lena Dunham were on SNL the same night. Every hipster in Brooklyn must have cum all over their tvs.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 9:04 PM

Cool city stuff. How

Posted by Mr. FoootFetish | March 9, 2014 9:17 PM

snoozy

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 9:29 PM

5:24 wins

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 10:39 PM

The day things got real at BV.

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2014 11:02 PM

i keep trying to fart but there's something plugging my anus
#fart #fashion #2015 #lamborghini #progeria #groin

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 12:31 AM

I imagine "Mistaken for Strangers" the movie to look exactly like this.

Posted by Nemeth | March 10, 2014 5:11 AM

I don't get this band. Never have.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 5:18 AM

Liam Neeson... coooool...

Posted by ralph lauren | March 10, 2014 5:59 AM

Mumble rock..

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 7:28 AM

Since when are there 7 guys in this band?

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 9:02 AM

this band used to be great. started to lose interest with the very uneven and kinda boring High Violet and they totally lost me with their most recent album, which is unlistenable and I don't even remember the name of. Which really surprises me cause I loved Alligator and Boxer, listened to them over and over and still play them from time to time. but they really fell off a cliff.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 9:52 AM

9:52

Nah, pretty much been pumping out the same shit for 4 albums. To dismiss the new stuff is to deny the same stuff you like.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 9:56 AM

no way man, I can't speak for their earlier stuff but Alligator and Boxer had melodies, hooks, choruses, good lyrics, but most importantly, DYNAMICS. Now it's just washed out with synths and strings, just one wall of boring sound, plus his lyrics have really taken a nose dive. I mean they were always kind of mopey but last two albums have been insufferably so. Nothing even approaching the high energy of Mr November or Lit Up or Mistaken for Strangers or the dynamics of Geese of Beverly Road. The drumming on those two albums is incredible and he's been totally neutered on the last two. I can't defend them these days (maybe they just got old? is that what happens when you get successful and move to Park Slope?) but those two albums I will probably love forever.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 10:08 AM

The National sucked, Fred Armisen sucked (as always), and losing an hour of sleep sucked.
All in all a good night.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 10:37 AM

yeah if nothing else we can all agree that Fred Armisen sucks

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 11:06 AM

Armisen sucks. Never funny.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 11:15 AM

I know Fred Armisen is a bit of a womanizer, but it's crazy that he literally fucked all of your girlfriends.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 11:41 AM

'Abel' was pretty rockin, and I enjoy 'all the wine', I don't claim to be an expert on the National though, the first time I heard of them was when Clap Your Hands opened for them and people were leaving before the National even played, also I did not know there were 7 gentlemen in this band

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 11:42 AM

You see, this is why I am really so sad for the kids coming up in this era. If I was a kid, and I tuned into SNL and saw The National, and I based my idea of what "rocking" is on them .... I would be one sorry ass fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 12:17 PM

^ yeah i don't think anyone ever has tuned into the musical guests on SNL to inform their idea of "rockin"

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 12:27 PM

To everyone wasting their time posting negative or positive things about The National: The National don't care what any of you think of them.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 12:30 PM

To the guy asking about the extra members - they're just touring members that play horns and keys and stuff. Been touring with them since Boxer, at least.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 12:57 PM

"but Alligator and Boxer had melodies, hooks, choruses, good lyrics, but most importantly, DYNAMICS."

Exactly. Those two albums were great. The singer actually tried to sing instead of just mumbling.

But they found their niche and they are exploiting it. I wouldn't be surprised if they hated their own music. "Our last album sucked but it sold well. We should write more of the same stuff."

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 1:22 PM

12:27 does not understand the difference between cause and effect versus intent. Maybe if he wasn't so angry he might not make that leap of logic and act the fool.

Posted by Anonymous | March 10, 2014 1:35 PM

Fuck, thanks 5:01. I just sprayed coffee all over the desk.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2014 4:48 AM

can they just go away?

Posted by recovering hipster | March 12, 2014 5:25 PM

Yea, also I did not know there were 7 gentlemen in this band, thanks for sharing!

Posted by MassagemPeniana | March 17, 2014 12:51 PM

I am totally surprised that there are still bands like this one, I never knew The Nationals until now.

Posted by Lindsay Rosenwald | March 18, 2014 10:23 AM