Posted in music on April 7, 2014

Courtney Love at The Paramount in 2013 (more by Greg Cristman)
Courtney Love

Last week, Courtney Love said in a Quietus interview that she'd be reuniting the mid-'90s Hole lineup of her, Melissa Auf Der Maur, Eric Erlandson and Patty Schemel. However, over the weekend she told The Telegraph that the other band members "are all flipping out with [her]" about the comments. From the article:

She complains she has already been in trouble this week for implying there would be a reunion of the classic line-up of her original band Hole next year. "We may have made out but there is no talk of marriage," she says of tentative meetings with former band mates. "It's very frail, nothing might happen, and now the band are all flipping out with me."
She also talks about the upcoming Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, which happens this Thursday (4/10) at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, and which Nirvana will be inducted at. Her ongoing dispute with Dave Grohl was brought up, and she took a little swipe at his band:
As you probably know, this past Saturday (4/5) was also the 20th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. In honor of that, watch the "Endless, Nameless" portion of Live! Tonight! Sold Out!!, along with a Hole video, below...

Why is John Pinette dead but Courtney Love is still alive?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:03 AM

I really care about this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:10 AM

She just used the anniversary of Kurt's death for shameless self promotion. She's a selfish c*^t.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:14 AM

Fuck Courtney Love but she's pretty dead on about Foo Fighters.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:14 AM

I think she's just pissed off because not matter what she does with music, she'll always be "that wannabe 'artist' wife of Kurt Cobain".

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:18 AM

Why do so many of these washed up 90s bands think anyone wants a reunion? There's a reason Hole is no more. Aside from a few radio hits in the 90s, the band was not good enough to keep people interested or dedicated. So what would be the point of getting back together? New material? Nobody wants that. Fans of the original band want to hear the songs they liked twenty years ago. Playing live shows? Fans of the original band aren't likely going to come out in droves for that. They're too old and now have young kids to take care of.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:30 AM

Honestly, I can't understand the "I can't just do a really good rock record and that's the end of it. I can't be Nickelback. And not to be a bitch, I can't be the Foo Fighters." 11:14 - can you explain what you think she means?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:40 AM

The Generation X Yoko Ono.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 11:40 AM

potential revamped Hole lineup:

Courtney Love--vocals, guitar, pills
Zach from DIIV--guitar, skin-flute, decks
Ben from the Men--bass, judgemental stares
Fat White Family--drums, frotting

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 12:06 PM

"Not to be a bitch, but..." translates to "If I can be a raging cunt for one moment..."

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 12:29 PM

@11:40, Courtney Love can't do a really good record and that's why she dropped out of music for a while. Minus a few catchy "hits", Hole wasn't that big of a deal or very influential. She'll never be the Foo Fighters and is super jealous of Dave Grohl. Whether you like his music or not, you can't deny he managed to move on past Nirvana and built a pretty successful/respected career in the past 20 years.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 12:58 PM

^ ok - that's how I read it, so why are people calling it a dig? Is she only saying that Nickelback sounds like Foo Fighters? I guess that's a pretty bad insult.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 1:31 PM

^ I think she's saying something like: "Despite 20 years of trying, I've proven I can't make a really good rock record. At 50 years old (this June), I have to admit that my chances of making a good record are at an end. I'm also admitting I'm never going to be as commercially successful as Nickelback or Foo Fighters. Yeah... I am jealous of Dave, but I'll never admit THAT because the press only cares about me when I am being a 'bitch'."

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:02 PM

^ turning 50 in July.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:18 PM

Then it seems the 'dig' part of it is just BV & Pitchfork trying to make something out of nothing. What's weird is that both sites said the same thing about it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:20 PM

I think she may be implying that she can't/won't just do a rock record designed to be commercially successful but that lacks artistic merit, is bland, produced on an assembly-line for mass-consumption - if she's gonna do a new album, it's gonna be "good"

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:25 PM

I think it really depends on how she said it. Pitchfork prefaced the 'dig' with, "While saying she has to hold her music to a high standard, she took a swipe at Cobain's Nirvana bandmate Dave Grohl.". It sounds to me like she wants to be known for making music that a lot of people, but admits she can't. Also sounds like she is jealous of Dave for moving beyond Nirvana & Kurt Cobain's legacy and doing exactly that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:33 PM

^edit: It sounds to me like she wants to be known for making music that a lot of people consume,

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:34 PM

Foos like Nickelback are middle-of-the-road-dad-rock. She can't ever be that. But I think she's also admitting she can't write songs, and she doesn't have Cobain and Billy Corgan to write them for her anymore. She burned all the bridges she had and no one will write songs for her anymore. Wump wump.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 2:43 PM

Much like Courtney Love, Billy Corgan hasn't made any successful music since the 90s. No matter how many incarnations of Smashing Pumpkins he tries to put together, all people want to hear from him are songs that are about 20 years old.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 3:09 PM

Has anyone ever dug a hole in a hummus platter by shaping a pita triangle into a shovel?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 3:59 PM

She's digging into Grohl for selling out, yet she'd probably give her left boob to have his career. Not for nothing, but 'Celebrity Skin' was just as slickly produced (if not more so) as any Foo record.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 4:30 PM

I love this women and her music.

Let's get this straight once and for all, Live Through This is one of the best albums in the last 25 years. The tunes are timeless and have had much more staying power than some of the shite y'all get hards on over--including Surfer Rosa,Tromp le Monde, Crooked Rain, Dirty, and anything/everything Foo related-regardless of who wrote what.

Celebrity Skin is killer with no filler and Nobody's Daughter has some fine tunes on it as well although none of you have ever given it a listen.

She never had to move past Nirvana cause she was never part of it. She has always done her own thing. Hope to soon see her brain one of you a-wipes with her '65 Jazzmaster at your local Bowery Presents venue.

Posted by Smack | April 7, 2014 5:27 PM

^ Nice opinion, but too bad enough of the US doesn't agree. In the 90s, a band's popularity was determined by album/ticket sales & radio chart position. Hole did have a few undeniable hits, but the numbers prove they were never as big or legendary as you wish they were. Too bad we couldn't see how Hole's career would've gone if Courtney and Kurt never got together. I'd bet not very far.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 6:22 PM

@5:27 unless I somehow accidentally found myself at the wrong show, there's no way I'd be in a position where Courtney Love could brain me.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 6:30 PM

527 Live Through This is one of the best albums in the last 25 years? Dream on. Celebrity Skin is killer with no filler? Get off the pipe. One decent album and one sellout does not make a career. What about the last 20 years?

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2014 1:01 AM

courtney love kicks ass. the rest of you are fat.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2014 8:12 AM

Courtney Love might "kick ass", but she still sucks as a person and a musician.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2014 9:30 AM

6:22, using record sales as proof of your opinion about "best" I'm guessing makes you a big Nickelback fan? I mean they have great sales, right?

As for Courtney & Hole... It's true her two best albums were made on the backs of other, stronger creatives (Cobain for live through this & billy corgan on celebrity skin) but... I like her. I do like the idea of her hitting a few of you over the head with her guitar or mic stand. And I bet you'd all sue like little bitches like the last guy she did that to.

I'd skip on a hole reunion unless I was at a festival with nothing else to do....

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2014 9:30 AM

9:30, nope...I hate Nickelback's music. I do respect the fact that they have managed to be successful and have done so much longer and more so than Courtney Love ever will.

Not sure why you wish violence on someone over an opinion, but I can guess that any fan of Courtney Love is probably crazy too.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2014 12:22 PM

heroin is expensive but a fernando guitar is not...cool cool I will replay this vid

Posted by Samuelson | May 8, 2014 5:35 AM