Posted in music | tour dates on April 30, 2014

by Ian Chainey

Split Image album art
Excel

Venice, California crossover thrashers Excel will be playing a one-off show with fellow SoCal-ians Strife on June 17 at Saint Vitus in Brooklyn. Tickets are on sale now.

The show is yet another neat development in a flurry of recent activity for Excel, who reformed in 2012 after a 17 year break. Earlier this week, it was announced Southern Lord would repress the outfit's debut LP, Split Image. Released in 1987, Split Image was a landmark recording in the then-burgeoning Venice scene that counted bands like Suicidal Tendencies, No Mercy, and Beow├╝lf within its ranks. The album matched the quick push of thrash with the pull of chunky core strums, all delivered with a snottiness befitting its punk roots. The re-release will include heaping helpings of bonus material (demos, collected comp tracks), new art, and a book of photos. Keep your eyes peeled for pre-orders, as those will be fulfilled with a gift: a limited single collecting two tracks from the group's early demo days.

Of course, the more hardcore-aligned Strife are no slouches themselves, also hitting the Boston date of the Chain of Strength reunion tour.

To get you ready for the show, take a gander at both bands playing live and a Split Image video below...

Tags: Excel, Strife

Vato core.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:13 PM

genre-spanning covers are commonplace these days, which is great, but 15 years ago excel's version of "message in a bottle" was kind of a rarity, and it accentuated a nascent aspect of the song and of the connection between, say, the human condition and the post-Reagan-era inner-city condition. glad to see these guys getting another chapter.

Posted by scooper | April 30, 2014 5:23 PM

"Strife are no edgers themselves"

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:38 PM

I was using the 2006 version of Excel at work up until a few days ago. Now I'm using the 2013 version. I much prefer 2006. It's cleaner and the tool bar seems more intuitive.

Posted by E.L. Fudge | May 1, 2014 9:02 AM

Holy Shit -- this is a blast from the past! I used to play the shit out of this record!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:09 AM

9:02 needs to be punched in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:29 AM

Ha ha! I do. I really do. And I think you're the man to do it.

Posted by E.L. Fudge | May 1, 2014 9:37 AM

Excel really weren't good. A pointless re-issue aside from the little bit of money Southern Lord might make from it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:38 AM

Southern Lord have, lately, been all-stars in the field of pointless re-issues lately. But that's just my opinion, which I'm entitled to have and disseminate on any forum that will have me.

Posted by E.L. Fudge | May 1, 2014 9:44 AM

well, when you have the money to have a label, i suppose you can reissue any of the albums you enjoyed years ago.

strife on the other hand...that brings me back to a lame place in 1996.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:02 AM

You think SL's recent Excel, Offenders, and Blast re-issues are "pointless"? Sure, you're entitled to your opinion. And I'm entitled to my opinion that you have your head up your ass, which has clearly clogged your ear canals with your own shit. Have a nice day!

Posted by Dan Is The Bastard | May 1, 2014 11:41 AM

Thank u Dan is the bastard!!!! Excel kicks ass!!!! Why post anything if its gonna be such a shifty negative comment...:)

Posted by damiana | May 1, 2014 2:31 PM