Posted in NYC | music on April 30, 2014

by Ian Chainey

Beefcake the Mighty using a vaporizer/Link's recorder
IMAGE

Today, metal spewers of juices GWAR have announced a collaboration with Mount Baker Vapors to supply the world with GWAR Fluids, a set of custom flavored e-cigarette/vaporizer liquid. Starting May 1, you'll be able to take a deep pull of Jizmoglobin -- "a creamy blueberry blend with notes of nut and custard" -- at your favorite New York bar... hold up.

Actually, no. No, you won't.

In a stroke of bad luck for Mount Baker Vapors, New York City has amended the 2002 Smoke-Free Air Act to ban e-cigarettes from offices, restaurants, parks, bars, and beaches. The change goes in effect today (4/30). So, in public spaces, e-cigarettes are now, well, cigarettes. And, yep, if you're caught sucking on Spew -- "a primarily melon flavor with hints of mixed fruits and berries" -- you'll be tagged with a fine of $100, with the owner of the establishment your smelling-up getting slapped with a $200 to $400 punishment for a first time offense.

Ouch, Mount Baker Vapors. Not even German Chocolate Beefcake -- "a sweet cake flavor with the perfect combination of chocolate, coconut, and caramel" -- is likely to alleviate that headache.

Of course, the NYC ban isn't the only instance of unfortunate/questionable timing in this case, with the sponsorship deal coming a little more than a month after the passing of Dave Murray Brockie, better known as Oderus Urungus. If you missed it, we ran a fitting tribute to the man at Invisible Oranges and here on BV. In addition, you can check out information on the Dave Brockie Foundation, set up in his honor, here. R.I.P.

God, I really hope that they find out this is an insane carcinogen or something down the line. Literally the doofiest things I've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 4:30 PM

^^^

Real nice of ya.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 4:36 PM

NYC continues down it's road of the suckiest most pansy place to live.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:01 PM

5:01 does that mean you aren't going to move here from Dayton Ohio?

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:26 PM

NYC hasn't been cool for years now. It's kind of a boring refuge for post grads that like to complain.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:34 PM

best news i've heard all day, even if this writeup was a bunch of nonsense

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:37 PM

E-cigs are probably the least cool thing imaginable. If anything, this is a step in the right direction.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:47 PM

E cigs are great for people trying to kick the habit. People that are against e cigs are pretty much congratulating Philip Morris on their win. E cigs popularity is a gigantic leap in public health since banning smoking inside.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:51 PM

I like a nice rich e-cigarette to go along with my Zima after a long hard day at the ol' internship.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:51 PM

You do realize e-cigs are harmful too, right? Or have you conveniently ignored these details?

Smoke your e-cigs in private. As little is still known about their safety, I'd prefer to not have to be subjected to your dumb habit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 5:57 PM

Take back your freedom douchebags, e cigarette make you look cool.

Posted by Stephen dorff | April 30, 2014 5:59 PM

5:57 how can you be so sure that e-cigs are harmful too when you just admitted "little is still known about their safety"

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 6:13 PM

@5:57 there is actually no creditably evidence that it is safe or harmful out side the fact that nicotine is addictive.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 6:13 PM

I always light up my REAL cigs at every concert I attend. And I love it when some little pussy tells me to put it out... I usually take a big puff and then blow it in their faces to their dismay. And then they walk away to MY dismay. This city is all pussies.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 6:28 PM

Just smoke weed. It's so much better.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 6:40 PM

I really enjoy it when in at a Rock concert and some hipster yuppy tells me "excuse me you can't smoke here" and I simply chuckle, then also do what 6:28 does and blow a solid plume of smoke directly into their face. It's comical how they ALL simply walk away thinking "well I guess that did nothing"

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 7:06 PM

Thanks again liberalism

And fuck your gay black president!

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 7:46 PM

e-cigs with cannabis oil are p cool. Anything else is for turbonerds.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 7:59 PM

6:40 amen

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 9:34 PM

I like that people are complaining about e-cigs possibly harming their health in NYC, because, you know, there's no pollution there or anything.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 10:38 PM

this ban is retarded. I will continue to vape hash oil on trains, planes ,restaurants, venues, etc.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2014 10:59 PM

Long as I can still get wasted and throw up in most fine establishments I'm cool.

Posted by Doc | April 30, 2014 11:50 PM

Hummus is such a good snack. I just ate an entire tub of Sabra and feel amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 2:17 AM

@ 5:26 Have you ever been to Ohio? What makes one city better than another? How "tough" everyone is? How crime ridden a city is? If that's the case, I'll put mother fucking Youngstown, OH up against any borough in NYC any day. Less people but far more dangerous. That is what makes NYC the best, right? Danger? You suck. A lot.

Posted by E.L. Fudge | May 1, 2014 9:07 AM

This ban on e cigarettes is another attempt by NYC gov to control our lives. Comparing electronic cigarettes to regular tobacco cigs is comparing apples to oranges. See more at http://www.dc4wd.com

Posted by Rich | May 1, 2014 9:23 AM

6:28 - you've never done that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:38 AM

6:28 once did that to me at the Jay Street Station and I beat the living fuck out of him.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:51 AM

rule of thumb: if an anonymous internet commenter tells a story about how they confronted someone, it didn't happen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:55 AM

e-cigs are lame as shit and anyone who smokes them is a fucking tool. and no, they are not any healthier than real cigarettes and will not help anyone "kick the habit" -- they just morph that habit into something more douchey and lame. but the real people whom this will affect are the people who vape weed in bars and restaurants.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:15 AM

^ spoken like someone who has never smoked or made the switch. I'm so much healthier after trading smokes for an e-cig. my skin is clearer, I don't get winded going up five flights of stairs in my walk up, I can actually ride my bike and jog extended distances. Nobody is saying they are "healthy" - but they are certainly healthiER.

and guess what, nobody gives a fuck if you think they look like a douche. your opinion is important to one person only - YOU. so fuck off

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:41 AM

^ agree. it's helped me a lot, too. I'd be glad to beat the fuck out of 11:15 as well.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:44 AM

All the debate about whether they should be allowed indoors is stupid. You smokers are already going outside, just have to still go outside.

Why do smokers think they are entitled to make everyone participate in their weakness?

Why does banning it make the city "lame?"

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 12:43 PM

Vaping is healthier than smoking. 11:15 is another self-important Nazi douche-bag who thinks they speak for the majority of people.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 12:43 PM

i smoke e-cigs and I don't think it's unreasonable to ban them indoors. i mean who cares

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 1:01 PM