Posted in music on April 24, 2014

IMAGE

Paul Weller was among the artists who released RSD14 exclusives, his being a 7" of new single "Brand New Toy," which will be included on his new best-of compilation, More Modern Classics. There were 750 copies released worldwide and Weller was dismayed to see so many turn up immediately on Ebay. (His were not the only ones.) He won't be participating in Record Store Day again. From his website:

This is a message to all the fans who couldn't get the new vinyl single on Record Store Day and/or paid a lot of money for a copy on eBay.

I agree with all of you who have sent messages expressing your anger and disappointment at the exploitation of these "limited editions" by touts.

Apart from making the record, the rest has very little to do with me but I am disheartened by the whole thing and unfortunately I won't be taking part in Record Store Day again.

It's such a shame because as you know I am a big supporter of independent record stores but the greedy touts making a fast buck off genuine fans is disgusting and goes against the whole philosophy of RSD.

There were copies of my single on eBay the day before Record Store Day and I've heard stories of people queuing outside their local record shop only to be told there were none left at opening time!

It only takes a few to spoil a wonderful concept for everyone else. Shame on those touts.

Don't support their trade and don't let them use Record Store Day to ruin the very thing it's designed to support.

Onwards. PW

PS. I'd like to say thank you for all the positive, supportive comments on our privacy case recently. Bless ya.

One of the copies of the 7" that turned up on eBay was linked to an account run by UK shop Townsend Records. Weller's wife, Hannah, discovered this herself. The store says "this matter is under investigation."

On the more positive, "Brand New Toy" is a nice little piece of Small Faces/Kinks style Britpop. More Modern Classics is out in June and you can check out the kaleidoscopic video for "Brand New Toy" below...

Paul Weller - Brand New Toy

yeah a 500 edition run is probably the start of the problem

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 5:50 PM

Record Store Day blows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:04 PM

Year after year, people still fall for RSD.

If the goal is for me to support my local indie record store, shouldn't they have something for me to buy? How can I support a store that has nothing to sell me?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:05 PM

I don't agree limited editions is the problem. Limited editions create the lines and excitement in the first place.

I feel the complaint here is very narrow (and fair). If the record stores owners and/or their employees are keeping limited editions for themselves, it sort of ruins the spirit (if not also the function) of the idea. The record stores need to realize that this is about getting customers in their shops, not about giving them exclusive limited editions to resell on eBay - and I can understand any artist or fan's response to records stores doing this being... Fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:47 PM

I don't feel bad at all. Over compressed plastic disks are only good for tossing like frisbees.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 7:46 PM

Do we really need record stores? People want the music and they're basically stuck supporting an obsolete middleman. Buy directly from artists if you truly want to support a worthy cause.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 8:23 PM

Let's face it, record stores are going to become as scarce as video rental stores and cyber cafes. RSD isn't going to save them and neither is the microscopic number of people who actually buy vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 9:03 PM

well, what if that little independent records store made 10 times more selling it on eBay than directly to a customer? I don't like it either, but if he's really all about supporting them why is he mad? a fan's still gonna get it somehow!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 9:11 PM

I wonder how many people buy these limited edition records just to sell on eBay. Why don't artists who make limited edition albums put them on eBay themselves? Seems like a good way to weed out the resellers from the real fans. Real fans shouldn't have to pay any extra to support those who are only trying to make money.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 9:35 PM

Who's Paul Weller?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 10:29 PM

Paul Weller obviously doesn't know how Record Store Day works

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 11:41 PM

Damn Capitalists! Always trying to make money!

Posted by Stalin | April 25, 2014 4:30 AM

Record store day ? Fuck this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 5:05 AM

This reminds me of the pre-internet days, when you would wait in line at a record store or a video store to buy tickets to a concert, and the pimply-faced kid pulling the tickets wouldn't open the store until 5 minutes after a concert went onsale, because he was pulling all of the good seats for scalpers and his buddies.
I don't see any way to stop record stores from holding back a few copies of limited edition vinyl for themselves, unless the RSD people want to randomly spot-check various record stores, which I doubt they'll do.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 8:14 AM

This demonstrates why record stores are on the way out. Store owmers have determined that the most efficient way to increase their revenue is to sell these limited editions on the internet. Duh. So unless artists believe that record store owners are somehow deserving of windfall profits based on their music (i.e., the most deserving charity), why bother?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 9:50 AM

Record stores are pointless and really don't serve any purpose in 2014.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 10:54 AM

10:54 - Record stores obviously serve a purpose, if they are continuing to make profits.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 1:42 PM

Still not am efficient way to purchase hummus over the internet :(

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 3:02 PM

1:42 that purpose is to prop-up an obsolete middleman and let them profit off of fans? I can understand needing a space for used records, but there's no reason to buy a new record from a store anymore. Buy from the artists off their website or at their shows. Second best option is to buy direct from the label if you can't buy from the artist.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 5:51 PM

Hey dumbasses, have you seen the cost of shipping lately? It's through the roof. I'm all for being artist friendly and supporting at shows, but at the very least, record stores buy in bulk and can still price competitively. At least then, you don't get stuck paying $10 to ship a $14 LP.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2014 11:52 AM

That small faces influence is coming out again

Posted by Manson | May 6, 2014 4:19 AM