Posted in music | tour dates on April 24, 2014

Billie Joe filling in for & helping carry Paul @ Coachella
Billie Joe

After what was regarded as a lackluster first weekend set, the Replacements returned to Coachella's Outdoor Stage with a vengeance, recruiting Green Day singer Billie Joe Armstrong to fill in for ailing frontman Paul Westerberg, who was laid up on the couch -- literally. [Billboard]
The reunited Replacements now played Riot Fest in multiple cities and Coachella twice including the second week which was this past weekend when they were joined by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day (see above).

Their upcoming festival dates continue to get announced and include Shaky Knees in Atlanta, Forecastle in KY, Boston Calling, Osheaga in Montreal, and two weekends of Austin City Limits. They are being picky. The Boston Globe reports that, "Westerberg's manager, Darren Hill, said the band has been invited to play at every major festival, but is only playing a few."

Meanwhile still no NY, but the band today announced their "long-anticipated homecoming show at St. Paul's Midway Stadium on Saturday, September 13, 2014. Tickets for the show, taking place at the home of the Saint Paul Saints, go on sale Saturday, May 3 at 10 AM CDT." Opening acts TBA.

Get well soon Paul!. All dates are listed along with both of their Coachella setlists below....

The Replacements -- 2014 Tour Dates

Nowhere Is My Home
Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out
Achin' to Be
Androgynous
I'll Be You
Love You Till Friday
Maybellene (Chuck Berry cover)
Left of the Dial
Psychopharmacology (Paul Westerberg song)
Alex Chilton

Encore:
Can't Hardly Wait
Bastards of Young
The Replacements -- Coachella Weekend 2 setlist
I Will Dare
Nowhere Is My Home
Another Girl, Another Planet (The Only Ones cover)
I'm in Trouble (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Kiss Me on the Bus (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Achin' to Be (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Color Me Impressed (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
I'll Be You (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Bastards of Young (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
I Don't Know (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Psychopharmacology (Paul Westerberg song)
Left of the Dial (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
Alex Chilton (with Billie Joe Armstrong)

Encore:
Can't Hardly Wait (with Billie Joe Armstrong)
I.O.U. (with Billie Joe Armstrong)

They will play NYC this summer, just a matter of when/where. I'm thinking either a Williamsburg Kent St. show or headlining 4 Knots.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 11:45 AM

^ let's hope so

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 11:48 AM

4Knots is way too small for this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 11:50 AM

Replacements / Green Day (performing Dookie) double bill at the waterfront.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 11:56 AM

Celebrate Brooklyn?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 11:57 AM

Maybe at CityFest one can hope.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:02 PM

sad

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:04 PM

"05-07 SEPTEMBER - Boston Calling, Boston, MA"

This is incorrect. Do you guys proofread anything you write? Yesterday you said Bonnaroo was in the year 2104.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:13 PM

This must all be very confusing for you, 12:13. I can only imagine the trauma it caused when you thought they were talking about 2104.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:43 PM

No Unsatisfied?!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:49 PM

Weekend 2 set was incredible, even despite the fact that Billie Joe was there. Great setlist, good vibes, a complete blast.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 1:15 PM

It will be FOUR KNOTS!

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 1:19 PM

No it won't

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 1:38 PM

"Replacements / Green Day (performing Dookie) double bill at the waterfront"

No way that would even happen. Green Day sells out stadiums. It would be a mob scene and too many disappointed young Green Day fans who could not get in.

4 Knots actually sounds like the more realistic place for Replacements. The ones saying no are pretty clueless to their fan base now. The crowds at both Coachella sets for them were small.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 1:56 PM

The Mats would be a major 'get' for CityFest.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 2:01 PM

12:13, they are playing boston calling on sept 5-7 so whats the problem? how is that incorrect?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 2:06 PM

that looks like david minehan (the neighborhoods/paul solo) on the far left. what's up w/ that

Posted by Malembi | April 24, 2014 2:19 PM

That is Minehan. He has been playing with them since they reunited in 2013.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 2:38 PM

I wonder if they could fill radio city.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 2:45 PM

1:56 there's a difference between what small percentage of the frat-bro Coachella crowd wants to see The Replacements and what the band is asking in terms of money. ACL booking them over FFF suggests they are asking for serious $$, and I'm guessing that's more money than 4Knots can afford.

I agree they'll be in NYC this summer or fall, though. Here's hoping for a theater booking like the Beacon or Radio City over T5 or "50 Kent".

Their manager claiming they are being picky while they are scheduled to play generic fests like "Shaky Knees" and "Boston Calling" is a bit of a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 2:55 PM

Its gonna be T5, get ready for the suck.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 3:00 PM

Of course it would be great if they played 4 Knots, but think about what that smaller scale festival has been like in the past few years, and then picture a legendary, hall of fame-caliber band playing there after a 20+ year hiatus. It doesn't really add up. I don't know what to say about Coachella that hasn't already been mentioned on this site to justify why that show was such a bummer.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 3:06 PM

Why would anyone want them to play 4 Knots? Free shows sucks since you get tons of scenesters, lookie loos, and casual fans. They need to play a paid show for the real fans.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 3:13 PM

"lookie loos" 3:13--very nice term.

Posted by Rance | April 24, 2014 3:22 PM

The Replacements, brought to you by Chase Bank! And here's "Customer" brought to you by Subway's new Ranch Footlong. You can't hardly wait for one!

I hope they don't come anywhere near New York, or play at any of these dumb overcrowded festivals

Posted by Paul | April 24, 2014 4:01 PM

Yeah 4Knots will never happen. Their previous headliners have been nowhere near the level of the Replacements.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 4:02 PM

"The crowds at both Coachella sets for them were small."

The crowds for any guitar-based band (not on the main stage) were small at Coachella. I was able to get closer to most bands at Coachella than if I was seeing them at a club. It was just not the Replacements. Besides, their older fan base tends to shy away from Coachella.

They can easily fill up a couple of nights at the Beacon or T5 (please not that shithole) or perhaps even RCMH.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 4:11 PM

Where's Axl?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 4:22 PM

play the Cap

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 5:08 PM

Did Billie Joe join them on stage for those songs or actually sing them? That seems like a bust, I saw them at riotfest TO and they were awesome

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:01 PM

Billie Joe sang lead starting from I'm in Trouble. After a few songs, he didn't know the lyrics, so Paul came alive and started singing from the couch.

I don't care for Green Day, but having BJ sing was a very punk/Replacements thing to do. It actually was great. Paul played the solo to Kiss Me On The Bus while lying down on the couch. Great great set.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:12 PM

Riotfest Toronto was awesome. But, Coachella was a mistake booking... though it was genius enrolling BJA after failing to impress or even engage the hipster fashion show crowd on the first weekend. Love the Mats and always will, but it's hard not to knock them like the Pixies for these obvious big payday grab slots. Festivals fucking suck for Replacements fans.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:34 PM

they'd be able to fill Radio City no problem.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 6:44 PM

Very sparse crowd at second weekend Coachella. Maybe 700 to 900 max people. But those few people were entertained.

Four Knots was never a possibility but.... look for a mid-May "last second, just added" ad blitz for 'mats at Governors Ball. It will help push sales for governors ball. Middle-age Caucasian media types will promo it via appropriate outlets. Win win.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 7:47 PM

Maybe 700 to 900 max people. But those few people were entertained.
^^
I was there..it was more like 2500-3000 people.. 700-900 in that giant field would be a very small amount & it wasn't like that..
My guess for NYC is two or more Central Parks.. Celebrate Brooklyn doesn't go into September and they will probably work around Boston Calling
Otherwise a week at The Beacon would be nice.. same place I saw them in 1987.. yes I'm old..
4Knots ??.. give me some of what you're smoking..

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 10:56 PM

Which one is Izzy?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 12:09 AM

I'm surprised Billie Joel is fan

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 1:45 AM

Get the false hope for Four Knots out of your troll head. Better chance for Slash and Izzy to rejoin bloated corn row man than The Mats playing small fry 4K

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 5:15 AM

The Mats will collectively hoist Skrillex and his little machine off of the stage before kicking into "Left of the Dial" at GovBall.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 10:11 AM

"it was genius enrolling BJA after failing to impress or even engage the hipster fashion show crowd on the first weekend."

BJA was not added because they failed to impress the first weekend, but because Paul hurt his back and couldn't perform standing up. He came out on stage with a cane.

When Paul decided to finally get back up for Left of the Dial and Alex Chilton, it felt like the Phoenix rising from the ashes. The audience loved it. It has been a week now since the set, and I am still loving it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 1:28 PM

Westerberg should have made Billie Joe sing that "I don't care who gets elected" song.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 2:45 PM

Performing for a crowd that's 95% work-obsessed yuppie, 1% cute city boy, 2% lone white wolf, and 18% city parent is not The Replacements style.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | April 25, 2014 2:58 PM

Is Slim getting any of this money?

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 3:23 PM

I think 2:58 needs to repeat 10th grade math, I don't care who he copied off of for the Reagents.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 4:01 PM

Regents, idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | April 25, 2014 4:20 PM

I don't care where they play in NYC as long as they play here. I'd just prefer they stay away from T5. I could see them playing almost anywhere whether it be Radio City, Central Park, band shell, beacon, Hammerstein ,waterfront or even barclays for that matter although that would be a bit of stretch. I just hope it's not t5 or a festival!

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2014 11:57 PM

Anywhere with seating would be incredibly lame.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2014 9:00 AM

I first heard this band on my trip from Florida to Illinois... Listened the entirety of the trip haha

Posted by TartTooth | May 27, 2014 3:20 AM