Posted in music on April 22, 2014

by Andrew Sacher

Pony Bones

We recently mentioned that Speedy Ortiz drummer Mike Falcone also plays in a side project, Dead Wives, and it's since come to our attention that guitarist Matt Robidoux has one too, Pony Bones. While Matt has been known to make some noise in Speedy Ortiz, he really goes all out with it here. Their new EP, Pony Bones II, due out next week (4/29) via Speedy's old label Exploding In Sound (pre-order), bangs and crashes through lo-fi dissonance and percussive attack. A full stream of the EP makes its premiere in this post, and you can listen below. That's the artwork (designed by Matt) above.

You can catch Matt with Speedy Ortiz in the NYC-area when they play SUNY Purchase's Culture Shock this Saturday (4/26) with Modern Baseball, Lil B, Cakes Da Killa and more.

EP stream below...

Pony Bones II

8=====D~~~

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:22 PM

There are literally 0 people in the world who give a fuck about this

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:27 PM

The bass player also has a side project, he will be selling t-shirts in the parking lot of phish shows this summer.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:30 PM

I care about it.

Go ask your dad for more money.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:35 PM

this is really really awesome. robidoux is the best.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:41 PM

Nice one, 12:35. I don't make enough money to support myself because I don't think anyone cares about the side project of a band that has maybe 1,000 fans.

Good conclusion, brah.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:44 PM

12:41 the best at what? Please elaborate.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:47 PM

A new Speedy side project this spring AND new bootleg Phish T-shirts this summer? 2014 is gonna be awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 12:53 PM

y'all hatin cuz you wish you could go on tour with Stephen Malkmus or the Breeders, or tour Europe, or play in towns across America and have hundreds of people come out instead of like, 13. Jealousy don't look good, even on the internet, Speedy Ortiz 4EVA, lemme ride off on my pony bones now. PEACE BETCH

Posted by matt | April 22, 2014 1:06 PM

Speedy Ortiz 4EVA?

you should be castrated.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 1:23 PM

the people who post on here creamed so hard for animal collective until other people did too

Posted by 4EVA LTD | April 22, 2014 1:37 PM

hey c'mon guys, lets play nice. I mean, we're obviously ALL jealous of the success Speedy Ortiz has had. I mean, right? And castration is such a messy process.

Posted by Steve | April 22, 2014 1:48 PM

Speedy Ortiz sucks so bad they need fifty side-projects to keep tour money flowing in.

At least they are friends with the editors of Brokeland Vegan and don't have to pay to be featured on here like 99% of the artists on here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 1:49 PM

Yeah, I'm sure this noisy little EP is really bringing in the cash. Y'all suck.

Posted by steve | April 22, 2014 1:51 PM

no, you should ask your dad for money so you can eat this week. @ 12:44

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 4:07 PM

1:49 - do you know how the internet works? no one is paying for shit. you think courtney love just paid BV to post about her shitty new single?

get a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 4:19 PM

Steve: Fidelity and fiduciarity (I chose this word because it forces the reader to say "douche") aside, shouldn't a band have to establish themselves beyond a couple of (not-so-hard-earned) tour cycles and contrived promotional campaigns to warrant a side project to begin with? I troll BV for kicks and don't know what speedy ortiz sound like. Unfortunately, I can imagine (were I bored/deluded enough) the deriviativty of Speedy Ortiz's music and stupidity of their fans (think fanboys walking down Bedford Ave. in a D

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 6:34 PM

Full disclosure, I am also trolling just for kicks and fuller disclosure my name isn't actually Steve and yes, I'm friends with Speedy Ortiz. But to answer your question with another question, why should there be any sort of criteria for engaging in another of creative project? What if Matt, the guitarist, was interested in painting? Would he say, "Ok, Speedy Ortiz will compete 4 national tours, 3 LPs, and a network television appearance, and then and ONLY then will I indulge my curiosity in painting". Clearly, that is absurd and stupid and the exact same principle applies to him having another music project. I know for a fact that Ponybones actually PRE-dates Speedy Ortiz, so in noway is this his way of trying to cash in on Speedy's moderate success, or anything dumb like that. He is a creative, extremely nice and down to earth guy, and the man behind Exploding in Sound records, another extremely nice and down to earth guy, saw fit to give a humble release to this new EP. It's really nothing more or less than that. Would it be on Brookllyn Vegan without Speedy's successs? Probably not, but guess what? That's how things work. Nothing vile or stupid going on behind the scene's here, just nice people passionate about music being written about on a website that writes about people who are passionate about music. Can I get an AMEN?

Posted by Steve | April 22, 2014 7:42 PM

Bad 90s indie rock still sounds bad in 2014.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 8:41 PM

Sorry but I'm more interested in the bootleg Phish shirts.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 8:54 PM

A band has to matter first to warrant a side project. Their motive isn't tour funding. It's a lame attempt to diversify a "brand" which isn't anything to begin with, and more likely is the result of infighting and jealousy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 11:01 PM

It could be worse, if it was 1993 a major label would've handed Speedy Ortiz a $300,000 advance (before dropping them 18 months later).

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2014 11:43 PM

The first Pony Bones EP came out way before Speedy Ortiz. If anything, Speedy Ortiz is a Matt Robidoux side project.

Also, don't joke about Darl's bootleg Phish shirts. They are legit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 1:23 PM

I think 11:01 called it right. Matt Robidoux has now left the band, around the same time his new ep comes out.

This band is too young to let their egos destroy them. Shame.

Posted by Anon | May 6, 2014 10:26 PM

Bland, repetitive, and boring.

Posted by KFuzze | May 27, 2014 4:25 AM