Posted in music on April 1, 2014

NY Mag

The easiest way to quickly describe this is to let Funny or Die do the talking!

Happy April Fool's Day,

As you've probably heard, The Flaming Lips recently released Flaming Side of the Moon: an immersive companion piece to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Listeners are encouraged to enjoy the albums simultaneously while watching The Wizard of Oz, as both sync up perfectly with the film:

Funny Or Die is excited to announce that we produced the album, as well as these accompanying videos starring Fred Armisen, Jon Daly, and many others that contextualize the creative process!

There's also this video of the studio session that spans the entire 43-minute album:

We're also excited to introduce Flaming Lips Cereal and Wayne Coyne's New York Magazine cover story:

Enjoy!

Happy April Fool's Day!

I don't get it. What is the elaborate stunt?

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 11:57 AM

Tricking people into listening to them

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:02 PM

I don't think this article headline deserves the "!"

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:03 PM

12:02 speaks truth

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:04 PM

Their elaborate stunt was peaking with Clouds Taste Metallic.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:09 PM

A good flaming lips April fools would be if they give up the shtick and lights and just played a flat out rock show and brought back older tracks off Transmission, Clouds etc

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:09 PM

so... where's the joke?

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:11 PM

You don't need to read past the headline to know that this isn't going to be funny.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:16 PM

Wayne, don't you have a duet to do with Miley or something?

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:19 PM

I think you're all the target of the joke and so far it seems to be working really well.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:20 PM

Every time I'm listening to Sirius XMU in the car and they're playing something that's so terrible that I make a point to see who it is, it's the Flaming Lips. True story, just ask my wife and mistress.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:37 PM

12:20 - are you saying that the joke is for people to ask what's funny about the lame joke? That's supremely funny. Good joke.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 12:44 PM

and in the middle of all of this, not one mention of wayne firing kliph scurlock for having the balls to call him out on his mid-life crisis bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 1:33 PM

You think people give a shit who plays drums?

Bob Pollard.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 1:39 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 2:01 PM

Apparently Chad Channing is now drumming with the Flaming Lips?

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 3:35 PM

I was wondering what happened to the drummer, did Wayne really fire his ass?

Drozd should really be the one behind the set anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 3:51 PM

The joke is that if you play "FSOTM" and "DSOTM" simultaneously (there is a full album on youtube), they are deliberately playing out of key the whole time, as if Radiohead covered it. They are trying to sound like a bunch of kids in the garage making noises to the record, in the wrong key.

Posted by Chasm | April 1, 2014 7:10 PM

1:33... Source?

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2014 9:04 PM

9:04- kliph was asked about it on his twitter and he admitted he was fired. A friend of his filled in some of the details om the slow nerve action message board.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 8:20 AM

^They pushed him off a Kliph. I liked Kliph

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 9:08 AM

Kliph wasn't fired for calling Wayne out on his midlife crisis b.s. (although if anyone in that band had the nuts to bring it up to Wayne, it would be Kliph!) He was fired for taking a stand against Wayne's new buddy - the daughter of OK's tea-bagging, homophobe governor Mary Fallin - when she donned a Native headdress for a racist publicity stunt. When Kliph called her out on social media for being a shithead to the Oklahoma Native community who complained about her headdress publicity stunt, she tattled on him to Wayne. Wayne actually told Kliph he was fired for insulting Fallin publicly. On a kinda-related note, word from Wayne's inner circle is that he was so geeked about getting an invite to Governor Teabagger's mansion for a party with a bunch of 20-something Republican hipster wannabes (friends of the Gov's daughter) that he was practically begging his band mates to go with, an invite that everyone else in the band felt was pretty lame and to which everyone else declined. Not Wayne tho. He and Fallin are pretty tight...he recently posted an even more offensive picture of his dog wearing an authentic looking Native headdress in response to the Oklahoma Native community's backlash against Fallin for her headdress stunt. No one in the band dares speak out on this one bc they have families to support and Wayne has bogarted all the Flaming Lips earnings and keeps them all on a pretty short financial leash. He is like the innocent little boy in Citizen Kane that just eventually went bad...it just happens to some people. He is now a full fledged, desperate-for-attention, shameless, tasteless fool. Who is smack dab in the midst of a midlife crisis...his glittery makeup is something his 20-year old girlfriend makes him do!! Hahahahaha!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 12:32 PM

too monotonously conceptual 4 my taste

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 3:06 PM

right, whatever happened to a good ol' handbuzzer or whoopi cushion. shit is so convoluted now

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 3:07 PM

@ 12:32 April 2

I have known Wayne for about 20 years. We are not close by any means. When he was busted for cheating on Michelle, he changed. I ran into him and he went all rock star. He was never that guy. Now, he is that guy. He is not the Wayne he used to be. I have no doubt he is still rubbing elbows with the Gov even though she has revoked their song as the state song. He will do anything for attention now...see Miley duet. Sad that a band that was good at one time has turned into this. In a Priest Driven Ambulance is my fave and I wish they would play stuff from there. Too bad.

Posted by anon | April 2, 2014 3:34 PM

He wasn't exactly busted for cheating. Another Wayne semi-friend here who knows what he's turning into but not in a position to really talk about it openly bc too many nice people could be negatively affected. Case in point: Kliph (although KS spoke up himself and only about that Fallin idiot, but I don't think he ever thought Wayne would punish him for it!) Wayne wasn't busted for cheating though. Word among friends is that he just called his wife one day and said "Hey don't come home; I have a girlfriend I've been seeing for a while and I just want to hang out with her." I hear so much buzz amongst that circle that his gf Katy has a lot to do with his changes. People tried to tell Wayne's friends to warn him about her before she dug into him too far, but they were all like not concerned at all...and now are like, "shit." Apparently, Katy Weaver's own friends claim that before she started dating Wayne she set a goal to land either Wayne Coyne or one of the Thunder players, and it was just easier to get an audience with WC...she's just a local bimbo climber with nothing to offer the world except her semi-pretty face. It seems like a pretty sad situation that, since dating her, he has declined in all positive areas and skyrocketed in really embarrassing ones. I'm not surprised at all that the glitter is her doing. So sad. It's crazy that a guy like Wayne is letting the Christina Fallin types guide him in what is cool. Too bad Drozd has to be associated with this shit.

Posted by Chickenshit Anonymous Guy | April 2, 2014 4:44 PM

no Blues Clues, no Flaming Lips

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 4:56 PM

The silver lining for Kliph is that he doesn't have to be anymore!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 5:43 PM

People still care about Wayne Coyne? Wake up people. It's not 1998 anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2014 6:20 PM

Thanks for posting the story. It's definitely no secret that Wayne Coyne is not the same man he was a few years back. I remember the articles where Wayne was talking about how dick-ish Beck and the Arcade Fire were for their rock star antics. It seems as if Wayne is single handedly trying to top every dickhead rockstar that ever existed all at once.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 1:18 AM

One small thing, 4:44 p.m. Several of Wayne's friends did try to talk to him about the obvious gold digger he was starting to hang around with and he didn't want to hear about it. Everything else you and 12:32 p.m. posted is correct though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 1:37 AM

12:32 seems ya goin way outta way ta smear WC wit rum0rs cuz u don""t even have his gf's age right.Y ya even bring that up? what d0es her age have to do wit Ks bein fired? & Is dat how you smear wc? Say he likes bein round 20-somethins and gop? ???

not sayin w is perfct but hes been very generous in my experiences

&who would beliv kliph wuz fired for just 1 dissagreement? I"m surprised he wasnt fired years ago. wuz obvious 2me wc would only put up wit his drama for so long. wc was tooo generous imho. lips still create gr8 music w/ or w/o

6:20 who cared bout wc in 98?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 10:03 AM

kliph got to record an album with gruff rhys and has severed a toxic relationship. sounds like he won.

Posted by tanakabuster | April 3, 2014 11:09 AM

@10:03 Miley?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 12:21 PM

This has to be the most inside thread ever on BV. Kinda fascinating.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 12:41 PM

It is fascinating. More please.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 1:28 PM

It is really sad to hear about Kliph being betrayed by his favorite band. Having known the Lips dudes for a few years now, it is only kind of shocking it's at this point. Wayne has been off the rails for a while now. It was noticeable before he left Michelle. It so sad that because of his normal radical behavior people are not seeing it for what it is. He is in a bad place and few people have tried to intervene. The ones that have were shut down. It is incredibly sad to see Wayne, who was once a genuinely nice guy, be in such a bad place. It is even more disheartening to see the repercussions of Wayne involve Kliph. Although outspoken and crude, Kliph is genuinely one of the nicest souls on the planet. He has one of the biggest hearts and loyal spirits that you will ever meet. He has been faithful to the Lips since long before he was the drummer. It is sad to see his favorite band and a man he looked up to betray him and then kick him while on the ground by posting classless and racist photos. It's also sad to see the other guys involved with the Lips drug into this as well. Drozd is a good dude mind blowing musician. I hope Kliph, Drozd, and Michael distance themselves from Wayne ASAP and start their own projects. They would do amazing things without the parasite that Wayne has turned into. So sad to see a man we all loved turn into the person that we all dislike(d) (the type of person that Wayne used to despise.) Good things will come to Kliph through this. He is not only a brilliant person, he is a brilliant musician.

Posted by 405 | April 3, 2014 3:47 PM

Is Wayne just an acid casualty, or is he back with heroin?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 4:01 PM

I met Wayne a few times over the years and he's always been exceptionally nice. Sad to see this happen.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 4:18 PM

This really is an insider-heavy post, it seems! I heard about this on FB yesterday...crazy. I've heard personal stories from band members too, and I would LOOOVE to share, but I would feel REALLY bad if someone else got fired bc they shared personal disappointments about Wayne with their friends. I think maybe everyone who idolizes Wayne Coyne should know that he's not the nice guy that he pretends to be in public. And the reason I think that it's important for people to realize this is that Wayne will likely spiral out of control if his fans don't hold him accountable for turning into a fake asshole. He actually used to be thought of by everyone as a genuinely nice, nice guy!! One thing I can say is that WC controls everything himself now since he turned the Flips into a corp owned solely by him - now Warner Bros contracts only with the corp. WC is not exactly beyond firing even Drozd (the real brilliance behind FL). Wayne truly believes that he is the force all by himself...he actually prohibits new photos of the band being taken for professional and publicity purposes - demands that new photos be only of him. That's crazy. And 10:03, he most certainly would and did fire KS over the Fallin deal. Those guys are at his mercy in my opinion. Most of us won't say anything publicly bc the rest of the band is totally awesome and really nice people.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 5:05 PM

Hi, I'm -Ross.

Posted by -Ross | April 3, 2014 5:49 PM

All of this is very troubling. I know it shouldn't because it involves people I don't know and doesn't effect me, but the Flaming Lips are more than a band. Of course, the music is the most important thing and this era of the Lips is my favorite, but seeing Wayne turn into a typical drug addicted, dictatorial, egomaniac rock star dick cheapens it.

What happened to the guy who believed that psychedelic experiences don't need drugs, that being a freak doesn't come from engaging in stereotypical (and lame) freaky behaviour but in having wild ideas and following through with them?

The only positive of this is that Thurston Moore doesn't seem like such a dick any more (and being the child of a cheater, I know the pain that it causes, so I'll call my favorite musician a dick without reservation).

Maybe Wayne and Thurston should start an alt-rock midlife crisis support group.

Posted by Clint | April 3, 2014 7:36 PM

FUCK YOU ROSS

Posted by Hickey | April 3, 2014 7:44 PM

If you bad-mouthed your boss year after year how would expect it to end?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 8:36 PM

5:05 Obviously everyone who idolizes Wayne or anybody is foolish but that doesn't mean he was wrong to fire. Kliph ain't so nice either.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 8:56 PM

Actually, Kliph is pretty nice. So is almost everyone else associated with this band. There are a lot of people that have contributed to this legacy besides Wayne, and it's unfortunate that they're being dragged down too. He's out of control. His fans are the people he used to dislike, and the people that used to be his fans/friends dislike him now. He needs to be held accountable for his actions.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 10:34 PM

I'm sorry, but age isn't always just a number. A 53 year old man running around doing molly and boinking a 20something is creepy. His association with Mary and Christina Fallin undermines everything he's ever supposedly stood for. Wayne "Paris Hilton" Coyne has turned into a vapid pile of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 10:38 PM

@8:56 - by saying "Kliph ain't so nice either" you only prove that you have never met Kliph in your fucking life. Kliph is one of the coolest, most loyal people on earth. Anyone who has him as a friend has a friend for life. Seeing Wayne shit on him is truly hurtful to those of us that actually know Kliph, so please STFU.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 11:38 PM

@8:36: Bad-mouthed his boss? WTF are you talking about? Kliph was fired because he publicly called out the racist daughter of the Governor of Oklahoma, and Wayne apparently values his "friendship" with her over that of the guy who has played drums for him for ten years, and before that served as a loyal roadie. Kliph has never said anything publicly to disparage Wayne. He's never even said anything disparaging in private (to me anyway) even AFTER he was fired - and yes, I've communicated with him since he was fired. I'm not sure people fully understand just how fucked up this is - Kliph was expressing his political views, and yes, they're very strong and he's very outspoken. But since when are The Flaming Lips *against* free speech? Is that the band we've all known and loved all these years? What fucking planet are we on now?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2014 11:46 PM

I think 11:38 is pointing out something pretty obvious to everyone on here who actually knows these guys - 8:56 clearly does not know Kliph at all. 11:38 is describing him pretty well, actually...wonder if I know you?? well, KS has a million friends so I suppose I would necessarily! Haha!

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2014 1:46 AM

1:46 here again...I forgot to agree with 11:46! I've spoken with KS since he got fired as well and I haven't heard him say anything bad about his boss even with regard to the reason he was fired. Disappointment maybe, but shit talking? Not at all. I have heard him express sheer disappointment in the situation because the Lips were/are his favorite band and playing with them seemed to have him perpetually and absolutely thrilled. And that is heartbreaking, but I agree with the Twitterers - KS will go on to better things. He's a great guy and a great drummer and he just has fucking great taste in music. The Lips were only his beginning.

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2014 1:57 AM

Hi Ross, I remember you!

Posted by Wayne | April 4, 2014 11:32 AM

This was posted in the Slow Nerve Action forum. :( This whole ordeal really makes me sad! I wish someone from the band would talk about this. Kliph, what really happened? FLips, is Wayne really turning into a butthole? WHAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

by KMoon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:56 am

The Brooklyn Vegan article is 100% true and accurate, unfortunately. And so are the reports of Wayne's megalomania, midlife crisis, and hyperdriven ego. I have kept quiet through this but the cereal box was the last fucking straw.
You'll not hear an announcement of Kliph's firing as Wayne is so wrapped in delusion that he believes himself impervious to the opinion of anyone else. I wish you all could hear how he speaks about you when he's not poised for the photo op, playing the role of messianic rock artist. He is a broken human, and that is sad. I once had compassion for that but that is impossible to maintain now in the face of the racism, callousness, and blatant disregard he has exhibited in an ever escalating fashion. He fired Kliph via text after 12 years of dedicated service, commitment to the music, and love of the fans.
You'll not hear from Kliph on this, as his esteem for Steven and others in the organization is high and he's too big a person to be lowered by the likes of Wayne Coyne. My condolences to Steven, the true artist and talent (always has been, always will be) the soul of the band, and I hope he gets out alive and intact.

I'm going to enjoy watching the Illuminati hounds of Hell devour Wayne and his ever-expanding ego, and that's a goddamn shame.

Posted by Starlette | April 4, 2014 1:12 PM

This whole ordeal makes my heart hurt. The Flaming Lips have helped me deal with some major shit over the years. They have inspired me to be a better person and have allowed me to meet amazing individuals along the way. That being said, I cannot help but be disgusted by Wayne and whatever bullshit he's going through right now. True, this could all be heresay and untrue speculations from outsiders but regardless, I can tell he's changing for the worse. In times where I've met and spoke with him in the past he has radiated positivity and warmth. Now he seems purely arrogant and pompous. I hope this isn't true about firing Kliph via text message and dumping Michelle out of the blue. Hopefully he found the love of his life with Katy (which I doubt-she seems like a leech) but I hope it was worth leaving Michelle, a truly beautiful human,for. As for Kliph, I wish him all the best because he deserves it. Sure he can be outspoken but what the fuck? Christina Fallin is tasteless and so was Wayne's Instagram photos with the headdress. Why risk hurting your fans feelings or being racially insensitive? To get attention because you are so attention hungry? Was it worth it? Wayne is turning into a total attention whore and it's just depressing to watch. All he stood for is crumbling beneath his actions. I hope Steven breaks away and starts his own project. That would surely be something to love and pay attention to.

Posted by E | April 4, 2014 4:32 PM

Fuck Kliph Scurlock. That dude is a straight up dick anyway. Deliberately fucked over a fair number of fans for shits and giggles to impress his friends. Not anyone anybody should ever bother shedding a tear for.

And Wayne Coyne has been a ridiculous caricature of himself for so long now who gives a shit. His band hasn't put out a good record in over a decade.

Posted by Pilot CAN | April 4, 2014 5:52 PM

How many of these anti-Wayne comments were posted by Kliph?

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2014 8:44 PM

There is only one truth, and the things people post on here or speculate about will never change that truth. I suspect that Kliph didn't deserve what happened. It's kinda obvious that WC is going nutballs. We all have opinions...but they don't really make a shit. I swore off the lips after the Kesha collab, and glad I did when I heard they were working with Miley Cyrus. Ouch. I'll bet Kliph Scurlock goes on to better things.

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2014 9:30 PM

Kliph is a real prick himself. No real sympathy here. Wayne's been a phony for a long time, I'm surprised anyone is shocked about that. Kliph being defended as a sweetheart is quite funny though.

Posted by Forsomething | April 5, 2014 11:06 AM

WC has been changing for the last 4-5 years....and not for the better. Firing Kliph, is and was uncalled for. Don't worry internets, I am sure the young pups will still worship WC. He does no wrong don't you know....just uses people then dumps them. Kliph, was just the next one...Why no fuss when he dumped Michelle for a 20 something year old whore? Who is only with him cause he is WC. out with the old in with the new....no one notices or cares! Hold people accountable!!!!!! Not to worry WC,I'm sure people will still cry their multi colored fucking rainbows for you....Cause they don't fucking care!!!! FL fans have became laughable!!!!! The Flaming Lips have became LAUGHABLE!!!!!!!!

Posted by TimingISeverything | April 5, 2014 11:18 AM

what makes kliph a prick? any examples?

Posted by george wendt | April 5, 2014 11:50 AM

I have to say being a much younger (Im 15) and newer Flaming Lips fan, I totally idolized Wayne. I've never gotten to experience this genuinely kind and well spirited man most of you have all talked about, and it's sad and heartbreaking that I don't think I ever will. Hearing from here and from others who have been in his life while this was happening, it really makes me regret trying to reach out to him and show him my artwork and ideas all this time. I am a fool for the image he has deliberately made for himself, and I truly hope all of us new and old fans can reel him back off this self righteous fucking planet he's on....back to you guys who know who he was before and aren't going to put up with his self destructive bullshit. Truly sad that he has turned FL into something that they've never wanted to represent. My eyes have been opened to the depressing truth and I hope as fans there is something we can do to help him and not hate him even after he's put on this disturbing charade for everyone. I'm so sorry to all the people who have had to watch this unfold, and I hope we as fans can come together and not spread apart to support each other and Wayne.

Posted by Alex | April 5, 2014 12:28 PM

Shut up alex

Posted by eazy L | April 5, 2014 12:53 PM

This was my response, I have to say being a much younger and newer Flaming Lips fan, I totally idolized Wayne. I've never gotten to experience this genuinely kind and well spirited man most of you have all talked about, and it's sad and heartbreaking that I don't think I ever will. Hearing from here and from others who have been in his life while this was happening, it really makes me regret trying to reach out to him and show him my artwork and ideas all this time. I am a fool for the image he has deliberately made for himself, and I truly hope all of us new and old fans can reel him back off this self righteous fucking planet he's on....back to you guys who know who he was before and aren't going to put up with this self destructive path he's on. Truly sad that he has taken so much control over FL and turned it into a battle for power, music tries to accomplish the opposite. My eyes have been opened to the depressing truth and I hope as fans there is something we can do to help him and not hate him even after he's put on this disturbing charade for everyone. I'm so sorry to all the people who have had to watch this unfold, and I hope we as fans can come together and not spread apart to support each other and Wayne.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2014 12:59 PM

Very sorry eazy L. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I know my answer is naive but I don't need your negative insults

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2014 1:04 PM

Steven Drozd needs to run for his life, away from Wayne. People would be lining up to work with him and he wouldn't have to put up with Wayne's bullshit. Wayne's voice sounds like shit and is bringing Steven down. When Wayne left Michelle for the mediocre looking, air headed Katy, he left the old Wayne, as well. Katy and WC look ridiculous. Kliph & Michelle are the lucky ones. I've heard that Katy has to take drugs 24/7 just to even have sex with him. He's a joke, desperately trying to stay relevant.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2014 3:23 PM

whats the news on what the dum dum girls have been up to this week?

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2014 8:07 PM

And suddenly, everything has changed....

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2014 8:47 PM

Wayne also steals A LOT of young artists songs and claims them as his own ideas. He doesn't give them credit either. I hear he brings artists in, records them, then apparently tells them they suck (apparently even harsher language than that), strips their music down to the bare minimum, then either steals it or "forces" them to put that music out as he saw it being the best that way. Fucking prick. He claims to support people doing whatever the fuck they want to express themselves but he really he just wants people to express his ideas. He's fucked over TONS of people then just leave them when he's done. He screws that one guy in New Fumes a lot apparently. Steals his songs and such. I heard stories of him screwing over that younger engineer Mac he had over at Pink Floor/Ceiling/Vagina/(()(())))((())/whatever the fuck he calls that studio. Never got to meet the man, but Kliph seems like an incredible guy. I wish him the best.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2014 9:36 PM

Wayne had Depth & Current from Norman contribute to the Stone Roses cover album and didn't even give them credit for their contribution...he credited them on the album as Blobs Descending from Heaven. I think he just did that bc he feels threatened by anyone on the local scene who has the potential to get attention on a large scale...that was an extremely dick move and a real shitty thing to do to a local band who could have benefited from being credited on a Lips album. He's a complete and total jackass.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2014 12:13 AM

^^^ seriously?!?! I tried looking up Blobs, now I know why I couldn't find anything from them. Man. What a shame.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2014 12:32 AM

Yeah, the guy from D&C posted about it on FB...he was pretty offended and annoyed when the album was released and they were left off the credits. And, he apparently didn't get an apology or an offer to fix the situation. I had already lost respect for Wayne bc I heard about the prohibition of band photos before that...that guy earlier, who said he has seen new promo photos of the band, knows absolutely nothing. I'd bet my life that he/she does not know the band personally. I am from OKC and can say I know the band members enough to say I heard this firsthand - publications can choose from any stock photos of Michelle's that already exist, many of which have never been seen by fans. New photos of the band are not allowed...only Wayne. And he won't allow the rest of the band to be on the cover of magazines. Only him. Yay! I googled "Flaming Lips magazine cover photos" just to see...sure enough. Megalomaniac. I hear Wayne apologists say, "He's only a human being." Yeah, and tons of human beings aren't assholes...that is why there are special words for those kinds: asshole, dick, prick, jerk, shithead.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2014 4:00 AM

SPIN Magazine wanted the entire band on the cover...never you mind SPIN fuckers! Wayne said, "Go to hell!"

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2014 4:06 AM

Sounds like Spinal Tap

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2014 10:19 AM

axl rose made gnr into a corp back in the day

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2014 3:10 PM

Wayne Coyne is a cocaine addict. Enough said.

The Flaming Lips need to split up NOW before they tarnish the legacy even further.

Posted by anonymous | April 9, 2014 10:55 PM

Wayne Coyne here. Just read about this on Gawker. Lando definitely never made it out of McCarren after the last Sonic Youth show. He's currently encased in carbonite under that concrete beach area. So he's technically not dead, but you know.....

Posted by Wayne Coyne | May 1, 2014 4:54 PM

I'm currently in a K-hole and have no idea what is happening here.

Posted by FatDudeintheMidwest | May 1, 2014 5:27 PM

I hate posting here, on this, about this.
Takes a lot to do the rock thing. Thick skin.
Wayne's got it. Now he's got a thick skull.
Dude, man. it's all fun and games until it
just isn't. Get behind the people that have
gotten behind you before you end up all
alone. Get help from people you trust with
your life and care about you that don't give
two shits if your band ever was a big deal.
Slow down. Take some time. Get your head
on straight. Stop surrounding youself with
ass kissers. Signed, a guy that has known
you for a long time. Good luck.

Posted by unidentified okie | May 3, 2014 12:06 AM

This is why I love music!

Posted by Turtle Reed | May 9, 2014 5:44 AM