Posted in To Do | music on April 14, 2014

Summer Camp at Mercury Lounge in 2012 (more by Devan Council)
Summer Camp

You can browse our full NYC show calendar for all of tonight's shows, but here are some highlights...

Cloud Nothings, Ryley Walker @ Bowery Ballroom
Following 2012's drastically career changing Attack on Memory, Cloud Nothings have returned this year with a new album, Here and Nowhere Else, which like its predecessor pulls from punk, indie, post-hardcore and noise to unique and terrific results. Tonight their run with psych-folk guitarist Ryley Walker hits Bowery Ballroom for their second of two sold-out NYC shows this week.

Eli Whitney and The Sound Machine, Ma Jolie, The Weaks, Laura and Greg @ Cake Shop
Philly bands and Lame-O Records labelmates Ma Jolie and The Weaks bring their tour to Cake Shop tonight. The former's noodly post-hardcore is not far removed from Bear vs Shark (whose song "Ma Jolie" may have inspired their name), and the latter's punky power pop should appeal to early Weezer fans.

Outer Spaces, Air Waves, Christine Hoberg, Laughing Fingers @ Glasslands
Outer Spaces is the solo-project-turned-band of Cara Beth Satalino (ex-Witches), who makes an excellent blend of folk, indie rock, and punk. Her tour hits Glasslands tonight and locals Air Waves who open are worth catching too.

Flume, The Chainsmokers @ Highline Ballroom
This 'MTV Artists to Watch' show includes fast-rising Australian producer Flume. It's sold out, but Flume will be back in NYC to headline Terminal 5 on his summer tour.

Summer Camp, My Favourite Things @ Mercury Lounge
UK duo (and real-life married couple) Summer Camp are currently on a brief US tour in support of their 2013 self-titled LP which has a little more sparkle than the band's debut. For those who like the synthpop served with a smile.

LVL UP, Downies, Rivergazer, Elim Bolt, Gold Light @ Silent Barn
Local band LVL UP make crunchy indie rock, not dissimilar to '90s-era Built to Spill. They've been playing NYC a lot lately and tonight's another chance to catch them.

Kadavar, Sons of Huns @ Saint Vitus
Germany's Kadavar throw back to the early days of hard rock/metal (think Sabbath, Blue Cheer, etc), and though reviving that stuff is more and more common these days, Kadavar do it well. Tonight's the first of two NYC shows on their current North American tour.

Phil Lesh & Friends @ BAM
There's never a lack of chances to catch former Grateful Dead member Phil Lesh (and friends) at NYC-area venue Capitol Theatre (where he has an ongoing residency), but tonight the band will bring their sets of mostly Dead tunes to actual NYC. This is their first of two shows at BAM (they play again tomorrow), and the lineup for these shows is Phil Lesh, Warren Haynes, Jackie Greene, John Medeski, and Joe Russo.

Night Train w/ Wyatt Cenac @ Littlefield
Wyatt Cenac's Monday night comedy show 'Night Train' continues tonight at Littlefield with guests Dan St. Germain, Dave Hill, Maeve Higgins, Lance Weiss, Chris Locke, and more.

For all of tonight's shows, and tomorrow's, check out our NYC concert calendar.

For laughs, check out the NYC Comedy calendar too.

-------------

Follow @BrooklynVegan on Twitter.
Follow @bvChicago for just Chicago stuff.
Also follow @bvAustin for just Austin stuff.

Be our friend on Facebook too, and BV Austin's friend on Facebook and BV Chicago's friend on Facebook.

Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.

What else?

This just in: Mr. Foot Fetish is the Jersey burb's own Rex Ryan trolling.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2014 12:24 AM

if you bring a projector on stage with you it better be showing slides of your tits and open pussy. otherwise, keep that shit at home!

Posted by Mr. Twat Fetish | April 14, 2014 12:38 AM

The pictures pretty dope it looks like an Instagram picture of something I really like the way it looks as if a lot of great filters and colors and the stance that the person is doing is really amazing I really like it. but at the same time it gets me can of wondering if you're going to make pictures look like Instagram what's the point of hiring a photographer? because the image that you're projecting is that the photographer who took that picture didn't really need to be there anyone could have taken that picture even someone in the audience. I mean you have all these photographers wandering around going shows taking pictures you don't want to make money but did you just have people in the audience with cell phone cameras taking pictures of motherfuckers. we live in a new age and age of anybody can be a photographer anyone can be a president anyone can write for Brooklyn vegan. anyone can walk on the moon anyway can save he walked on the more thing we can do what ever they want because this is the way the wall works nowadays and that's just a waste can have to be my Phyllis.

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2014 1:05 AM

okay so I didn't really read the to the article the reason why I didn't read the article was that I just wasn't feeling the topic I wasn't feeling the information I was being provided I didn't because ranch thing I saw something about some bands playing at some show on some random place you know it didn't interest me at all I wasn't particularly interested in hearing about that and I didn't show the picture but the picture was great you know looks like it. I just wish that the next topic after the one that was posted for the last two that I post was about Coachella. because for me everything that's happening in the West Coast in Indio California is really a lot more interesting what's happening on the East Coast in New York I mean I just completely was Not rage said I'm sorry. The language that was used however was great I enjoyed the writing the effort that was put into making this an interesting story but unfortunately I just wasn't feeling me just wasn't feeling it all. maybe there should be some more things and article about maybe about New York some news about maybe some egg shatter something like that you know go to the show when you get a free iPod or something like that you know that me whenever an iPod me like a free iPhone or something you know something interesting key people move motivated not me. because at the end data so we need we need more stuff like that more interesting articles that are great that are bullshit you know I mean just more great stuff. we need more like articles about people you know I'm seeing making album that's great that snow no not like the stuff that I've been seeing recently which he just got a mediocre crap killing me a Jenna complain about it tortious that is whack sorry.

Posted by Ok I'll admit that | April 14, 2014 1:15 AM

an outing looks fun, it was fun to have an organization like this
New voices will be revealed and people mingle together
I like this

Posted by HOPY | April 14, 2014 1:29 AM

I think it's great way to combat league speak, altering the language change the way people think using the speaking it's typing I think that's the thing that I hope that this app can do. men let me start over most of the time people are typing more than they are speaking this app allows you to speak and once you're finished speaking the app will translate your words to something remotely intelligible. unfortunately if you have like a next or something like that it will sometimes create mumbo-jumbo. but that's fine I mean all languages essentially mumbo-jumbo I think that after while this app could change language you could HelpLink which improve it as well as change it so people are normally you know writing symbols still be speaking to each other instead of typing out text messages all day. that's thing that for example take this article here in Brooklyn vegan had the person I spoke the different events that were happening you could curators what is it would be like you're watching television show instead of reading a blog.

human voice that you get to hear you are the person's voice and you get to read it and you can you can see how they translate and how they form different ideas and their mind and then relate those thoughts to you can XTC it and I think that's were language and especially written language should should go that's the future I think.

Posted by okay so here we go | April 14, 2014 1:32 AM

personally that dig at summer camp was really not very cool at all, What exactly are you implying that their debut did not have any sparkle?

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2014 2:27 AM

Is the molecular compound of hummus at all similar to that of any element on the periodic table? I have a shovel handy and was hoping through alchemy it might be plausible to dig up some shale and turn it into a robust platter

Posted by Anonymous | April 14, 2014 3:30 PM

Damn, the first time I listened to this son

Posted by Pazz3r3lla | June 2, 2014 6:32 AM