Posted in music | pictures on April 23, 2014

photos by Amanda Hatfield; words by Pink Baby

Woods / Cassie Ramone / Weyes Blood / Woolen Men
The Woolen Men

It had been a while since I'd seen Woods, a few years probably. The last time, whenever that was, was when the band still had Kevin Morby and that guy who spent most of his time on all-fours messing with a cassette deck and yelling into an old pair of headphones repurposed as a mic.  The Woods that played Baby's All Right last night (4/22) as part of our latest BrooklynVegan-curated installment of the Red Bull Sound Select series was a much different creature, a more "proper" band and all the better for it.

The was the record release show for Woods' new album, With Light and Love, which is a good example of how Woods operate these days: song-focused, poppy, tight, and when they do stretch things out, there is purpose and direction (and serious chops) to the jams. The whole band is accomplished, but singer/guitars Jeremy Earl and guitarist/producer Jarvis Taveniere's interplay in the instrumental portions was seriously impressive. The band also have enough records at this point where the set pretty full of "hits." If you had prviously decided that Woods were not your thing, maybe it's time to revisit.

Portland, OR's The Woolen Men flew in special for this show and I was pretty taken by their set too, though as a big fan of last year's debut which came out on Woodsist, I was expecting to. The trio make no-nonsense, semi-sludgy, hook-filled indie rock indebted to '80s Flying Nun (The Bats, The Clean), certain strains of UK postpunk (The Fall, Wire), and Pacific Northwest foreathers (Wipers, Beat Happening). All three members write and sing -- there was some instrument switching at the end -- which keeps things interesting. Good set!

Weyes Blood, the project of former Jackie-O Motherfucker member Natalie Mering, played a short but sweet 5-song set including a cover of Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin'." She switched between acoustic guitar-led psychedelic folk songs and piano ballads (with the piano coming through her sampler as she just sang), and though her songs can be spacey and trippy, her voice is huge. She delivers like a trained, classic pop star and certainly captivates the crowd like someone who could be on a much bigger stage than Baby's All Right. She started her set with a warning that she was about to take it down a notch, but we'd say she did just the opposite.

A line at the door when we opened ensured that Cassie Ramone would play to a full room despite being first of four on the bill (congrats to the first 100 people there who got one of the black light ink posters). After an introduction by our host Shirley Braha (with instagram doglebrity Marnie the Dog in hand), Cassie walked on stage quietly (with just her guitar in hand). She asked the room to sit and like people did when she opened for Mac Demarco in the same venue recently, everyone standing in the floor area complied. Cassie, who also plays in The Babies, proceeded to play a solid and seated 20 minute solo set on the same Baby's All Right stage she recently played as a Vivian Girl for the last time. Her set of mostly originals included her cover of "Do You Wanna Dance." With minimal pauses, almost no stage banter, pedals to fill the silence with reverb and looping effects, and a super focused and monotone delivery, Cassie successfully put us in a lo-fi trance.

In between sets (or all night if you were in the outer portions of Baby's) BV editor Bill Pearis spun a set of psych pop. If you came we hope you had a good time. NYC Red Bull Sound Select shows happen almost every month and this year are curated by either BrooklynVegan, Afropunk, or Giant Step. The same happens in other cities, like the upcoming Mr. Little Jeans, Avid Dancer and Breakfast show in Los Angeles. Stay tuned for our next BV one which is coming in September.

Woods is about to head out on a tour with Quilt that brings them back to NYC for a show with Frankie Cosmos at Bowery Ballroom. More pictures from the Baby's show below...

flyer

Our hosts Shirley Braha and Marnie the Dog

Cassie Ramone

Exciting! Thanks for posting this!

Posted by poserfeg | April 23, 2014 6:48 PM

Black people smell
They also have AIDs

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 7:23 PM

I'm an aids donkey

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 7:28 PM

i wish they would revive more old songs like they did with be all be easy. maybe "time fading lines"? or "the number"? or "don't pass on me"?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 7:29 PM

Is it true Barack Obama is a gay man ?

I hope he come out of the closet and renounces Michelle Obama

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 7:31 PM

Cool picture! Cool brands! Cool people!

Posted by sarcasm the sarcastic | April 23, 2014 8:42 PM

Friends. This is very, very interesting. I'm quite a fan of Jackie-O Motherfucker. However, it's been a while since I've spent time with their recordings. And interestingly enough, I was just thinking about them last week. Lo and behold ... BV presents us an article on the ever-so-lovely Ms. Natalie Mering's Weyes Blood project. Did I tell you about the last time I saw Jackie? It was at Tonic on the LES. For you kids in the flyover states playing games in the basement, I'll tell you it was one of the most exciting clubs in the city. Bat shit motherfucking crazy shows. The Sun City Girls' (proper use of possessive plural, friends) Sir Richard Bishop opened for Jackie, and it was an epic night of music. I'm looking forward to seeing Blood live.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 9:58 PM

^I'm looking forward to fucking you in the ass

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 11:41 PM

"That guy... on all fours" was G. Lucas Crane, one of the most consistently adventurous and exciting artists on the BK experimental scene for many many years now - he was in the game when this so called "journalist" was begging Mom for a ride to Warped Tour in Cincinatti or some fuckin shit - good research, BV :-|

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2014 11:49 PM

Woods is the core of Jarvis/Jeremy, no doubt, but I didn't know Morby was out. The Jarvis/Jeremy/Kevin/G. Lucas quartet was the most powerful Woods lineup IMO.

But real talk, how shitty was this show?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:10 AM

Honestly I just want to know when the Strange Boys are going to quit being shitty and play a show

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:16 AM

Dear 11:41PM,

Friend. I don't usually bring myself to violent behavior. I would like that known. However, should you ever see me out at a show and attempt the declared behavior, I'm afraid it will result in me kicking your pasty, white ass from one side of Manhattan to the other. I'll send you back to your parents basement on Staten Island with your balls in your hand, crying for mom to heat up your favorite flavor of potpie and a glass of RC Cola.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 12:23 AM

Vivian Girls (w/Frankie I-Pose-Nude-For-Interest Rose). Coachella 2015. I call it right now.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 1:05 AM

PLEASE BE QUIET. ARTIST AT WORK.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 8:26 AM

GRZYMKOWSKI NEED KICKS

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 8:38 AM

Am I the only one that thinks Cassie Ramone is oddly hot?

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 9:18 AM

I want to punt kick that dog ala Jack Black in Anchor Man.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 9:33 AM

"She asked the room to sit and like people did when she opened for Mac Demarco in the same venue recently, everyone standing in the floor area complied. "
--You people are fucking idiots. You paid to see this...person. They should do what YOU want and say. It ain't the other way around. Grow many many pairs. Fuckin' wimps.

Posted by E.L. Fudge | April 24, 2014 10:17 AM

>>Cassie successfully put us in a lo-fi trance.

Really? That thing put you in a "lo-fi trance"? Interesting. Do us a favor and stay in your flyover state. Do not, permanently move to NYC. Kthxbye, Us

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2014 10:46 AM

so dont knock down my door

Posted by WarriorkingNL | May 27, 2014 3:29 AM