Posted in metal | music on May 1, 2014

Inquisition @ Irving Plaza (more by Caroline Harrison)
Inquisition

Here's a sample of what Jason "Dagon" Weirbach of Inquisition says to Decibel in a new interview:

And yes, [my 88MM side project] is what people--to a certain degree--think, but it's not a white power, Nazi... nothing. I thought, "Well, shit." One day I was watching, I think it was a documentary or I was reading books, you know, on all kinds of old military weaponry, and thought, "Whoa, 88 millimeter. Yeah. That's, like, perfect. It's like Mz.412's kind of style of name." And it's a brutal name, you know? That's exactly what it was. I mean, yes, it did cross my mind [that the number 88 has gone onto have significance in the neo-Nazi community in terms of a code for a "Heil Hitler"]. I thought, "Oh shit," about the 88 thing and what are people gonna think. And I thought, when it comes... I'm a purist in art, man, and I thought, "Well, I'm not gonna just cancel the idea because a few people might think, 'Oh wait, that might be...'" No. Because it's 88 millimeter.
About working with Antichrist Kramer:
And I'll repeat it: He is not a white supremacist. He has worked with Nyogthaeblisz, which is a Mexican-American black metal somewhat noise project. They're not noise, but it's a very extreme black metal. He works with Black Witchery, where the singer is half-Colombian like myself. He's great friends with them. Uh, he was friends with Blasphemy. Blasphemy has an African-American, we all know about him, the guitar player, he's a great guy. And I mean, you know, he's not a white supremacist. What bothers me is that you can tell people all you want about Kramer not being white supremacist--they don't want to believe it. Because they think that some white supremacists have the ability to be friends with other racists, but still have their own beliefs. But that's not truly white supremacy, man. It is not.
Read the whole interview at Decibel which was a reaction to an article at Metal Injection which was inspired by a blog post at shamelessnavelgazing which included a slight criticism of an interview at our own metal blog Invisible Oranges where we do question Dagon about Inquisition's song "Crush the Jewish Prophet", but don't push him harder after he responded like this:
Jesus was Jewish according to the know-it-all people. How that is offensive? I don't know. Not too surprising that the word "Jewish" hits some nerves though, like "don't go there, go anywhere but there." "Crush the Black Prophet" would not have sat well, "Crush the White Prophet" would definitely be questionable. The original title makes sense.

What is ironic is that some argue that he was not a prophet at all, rather God himself. The followers can't even agree at times which of the two he was: God or a prophet. Confusion. Just like confusion in our scene: people want their music extreme with this vicious edge but they raise red flags if something seems to be going in a particular direction that may be hitting home.

In the future, making statements of any kind is always possible. I have been told that speaking your mind is respectable. When a band plays it safe all the time, you can't help but wonder if some people have forgotten what Metal is about.

Racist? In the closet racist? Not racist? Ex-racist that won't admit being racist? Just trying to be extreme? "Extreme" is no excuse for racism? What do you think?

Inquisition recently played Irving Plaza as part of the Metal Alliance tour, which also brought them to Brooklyn for an EASTER show at Saint Vitus with tourmates Goatwhore, 1349, Inquisition, & Black Crown Initiate. Behemoth are also on the tour with ends in Seattle this weekend, but only played Irving in NYC.

"We are the warriors of Satan's legion
We are the soldiers of infernal war
Knife in my hand, axe in the other
We are the killers in search of Christ

Crush, Crush, Crush... Jesus
Crush, Crush, Crush... Jesus

Prepare for battle weak lambs of God
Lord of destruction I summon thee
Grant us your powers of annihilation
Crush the Jewish prophet, death to Christian faith

Crush, Crush, Crush... Jesus
Crush, Crush, Crush... Jesus"

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 6:35 PM

What do I think?

Well, friend, since you asked ... I think that you want to have a comma after "tour" and before "which". Once you do that, you're golden.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 6:48 PM

Lol. Holy shit. Are those actual lyrics? That is so retarded I would grant just about anyone power of attorney over whoever wrote those lyrics based on their mindless stupidity alone alone.

Posted by sean | May 1, 2014 6:53 PM

Dude's solo project 88MM has a song called 14 Showerheads, 1 Gas Tight Door on a comp called Satanic Skinhead: Declaration of Anti-Semetic Terror and it seems lazy that any journalist would miss that as a topic in any interview about them being Nazis.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 7:08 PM

Hear thee my fellow nazolics
come join the Neotheofacists
keep the race pure practice eugenics
and swear to the holy swazafix

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 7:30 PM

I mean, is anyone shocked that these hillbillies are racist?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 8:15 PM

shut up and play your guitar

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 8:29 PM

He doesn't offend me as a jew, he offends me as a comedian.
And I'm pretty sure he's a rabid anti dentiant as well!

Posted by ME | May 1, 2014 8:33 PM

edgy moron, period

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:50 PM

Never heard of them. Who cares? Look at the band name and you could have some idea what they think of Jews though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:24 PM

The definition of racism is using ones skin color as the means to use power to oppress people

Sounds like the modern day democrat party if you ask me
With white people as the victims of racism

Black people have it made these days
White people are the real victims of racism

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:24 PM

ban him from black metal for life.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:55 PM

Lets all just jump on the witch hunt for Big Bad Racists bandwagon and burn some of these people who have opinions we dont like at the fucking stake!! Kill All Racists!!! Murder them in their beds!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:14 PM

Bundy/Sterling for the GOP ticket in 2016

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 12:11 AM

Guy is hot

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 12:14 AM

Really cool Pic, yeah! I'd really like to see him live!

Posted by Tantramaus | May 2, 2014 3:50 AM

I don't care if they Nazi, I just want to watch them go to the bathroom. Im an african america, displaced by gentrification I live on the streets.

Posted by Elenidis the pig. | May 2, 2014 4:40 AM

makes you appreciate the subtlety of "rose clouds of holocaust".

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 8:19 AM

Aw shucks, looks like they just lost the race war for us...

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 8:37 AM

Who gives a fucking shit what this metal dick thinks?

Just because some irrelevant slob says something stupid and ignorant in an interview or writes a song that twelve people at most will hear doesn't make it an actual issue. Racism or not.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 9:00 AM

LANDO DIED ASSWIPES!

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 9:14 AM

Rose clouds of the holocoust is not a racist/nazi song.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 9:34 AM

Inquisition isn't a political band, but they are a very fucking good band. Attempts at politicizing artistic expression are for small-minded, linear thinkers. A musician should be judged by their musical output, regardless of what kind of person they are. This whole debate is of zero consequence and merit.

Posted by Owen | May 2, 2014 12:36 PM

In that big town if you don't brunch with your kids, you're an anti-semite.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 2, 2014 1:22 PM

Shit, all of you dickheads commenting are so ignorant and shallow.

Posted by The-Rustled-Jimmie | May 2, 2014 6:57 PM

Black metal is gay!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2014 9:54 PM

Here's your nazi guys, He seems full of hate towards his fellow Latino interviewer. Meet Jason Wierbach, take out all your "good" hate out on him if it makes you feel like a better person.

Entrevista INQUISITION Hellfest 2013: http://youtu.be/rTYsvGbYtQc

Posted by Jack | May 11, 2014 6:08 PM

nazis and hate and love and satan... dagon talks about the recent controversy among other topics.... two videos and a two hour interview, here: http://www.shanebugbee.com/?p=2242

Posted by shane bugbee | May 13, 2014 1:24 AM

I saw inquisition here in London last night, waited around till after the show to get my lp and shirt signed. All I can say is as a brown, bearded, Pakistani Muslim, who happened to have been fasting earlier in the day, Dagon and incubus were some of the nicest, most genuine, thoughtful and personable not to mention respectful individuals I've ever had the chance to meet. They had to get on the road, yet took the time to talk about the scene, try an arrange a show at no fees except the coat of travel to Pakistan and even showed me their new effects boxes and pedals while thanking me for buying merch that keeps them on the road. I am saying all this from personal fucking experience, and up to fucking date cuz it happened last fucking night. Accompanying me was an Argentine Jew who I met at the show and they were just as awesome to him. Reading articles and being the moral police of the net is all well and good, but you can take your righteous bs elsewhere and fuck off. Nothing to see here. If you have an issue with racism, have the balls to campaign against Fox News or something that matters. This Muslim Pakistani and the Jew he met yesterday not only survived our experience, but thoroughly enjoyed and were extremely inspired by it. They are now working on starting a band together, so put that in your armchair critic pipe and smoke it.

Posted by Gul | July 14, 2014 12:58 PM

What I have to say matters not, reread Gul's comment above. Sure, Inquisition might enot b fans of Judaism. But they're probably not fans of any Abrahamic religion. Religions also known as Semitic religions. Nope, not just Judaism; Islam and Christianity also fall under the Semitic umbrella (wiki it, after all: everything on wikipedia is true...). So yes, you could probably classify them as anti-semitic. But that does not equate to them being white-supremacist. They're proponents of Satan, artistically. Therefore rebelling against the oppressive Abrahamic religions. But I'm pretty sure Dagon has stated in an interview that he is an atheist (need citation). If true, he couldn't care less about any religion, and looking at the excerpts above: art comes first. Great art at that, in my incredibly biased opinion. Hail Satan! And I'm pretty sure nazis wouldn't even want to sell merch to Muslim Pakistanis and Argentine Jews... So fuckin racist, lets burn em.

Posted by Infidel666 | November 16, 2014 1:04 PM