Posted in music | radio on May 14, 2014

by Bill Pearis

EVR

As we learned last night at a meeting for all their radio hosts (our metal blog Invisible Oranges has a show on the station), East Village Radio will be shutting down after 11 years of online programming. The online station signs off for good on Friday, May 23. EV Grieve broke the news publicly this morning. They write:

Popularity hasn't been an issue with East Village Radio, who counted more than 1 million listeners worldwide a month (this after starting as a short-lived 10-watt FM radio station in April 2003). However, under the Congressional Digital Music Copyright Act of 1998, Internet broadcasters must pay a digital performance royalty for every listener.

"We pay a higher rate for royalties and licensing than Pandora pays. We live in a world where these behemouth music-streaming services keep going in for more capital," said Peter Ferraro, the general manager/head of programming at East Village Radio. "It's almost like we are being penalized for our growth.

"It's very difficult for an independent medium music company to survive in a world where Apple is paying $3.2 billion for Beats by Dre."

I guest hosted more than a few times for DJ Pledge's show and there was something special about having the booth on right there on 1st Ave, having passers-by peering into the tiny room. Invisible Oranges' final show on EVR will be Tuesday, May 20 from 10 PM - Midnight (you can listen to archives now).

East Village Radio is/was founded and owned by restaurant owner Frank Prisinzano (Frank, Lil Frankie's, Supper & Sauce). Frank himself held the meeting where we found out last night, at Lil Frankie's right before our 2nd to last Invisible Oranges show.

East Village Radio, you'll be missed.

Sad sad news

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 9:39 AM

The only station worth mentioning in the same breath as WFMU. Really a shame (and Congress should be ashamed they set up this type of thing to happen).

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 9:40 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Chances with Wolves was too strange and beautiful for this world.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 9:48 AM

Well this fucking sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 10:02 AM

Horrible news!!! So much of what I know about music and has come from listening to the amazing shows on EVR :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 10:06 AM

And to think - it's these very people who support higher taxes!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 10:21 AM

Score another WIN for the Corporatist In Chief! YEAH! Mmmm mmmm mmmm.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 10:23 AM

Whatever keeps ASCAP happy...

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 10:27 AM

R...adio? Is that like Rdio?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 10:59 AM

Re: ASCAP & Bmi, stations pay an incredibly minimal rate. If this is why they are shutting down, they had no business at all. Their Entire business is playing music

Posted by Chris | May 14, 2014 11:31 AM

8=============D

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 11:44 AM

This is so sad. I love EVR & miss having my show there. I can't believe it's going to be gone :(

Posted by Colleen Crumbcake | May 14, 2014 11:44 AM

This is a sad day...We are really thankful to have been part of something so special, and to have shared the airwaves with so many amazing DJ's. EVR was truly both a local and global Radio Station at the exact same time, a rare feat. We are looking for another platform to keep the show going, but I can't quite imagine anything as beautiful as playing music on the street on 1st ave. End of an era for sure.

Posted by chances with wolves | May 14, 2014 11:47 AM

Go out blazing, show your post-NYC rebel spirit and blast that weird song by Jay Z and Alicia Keyes. "Concrete jungle where dreamz are made of..."

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 14, 2014 12:08 PM

Why not just get a few sponsors and keep the formatting? If the # of listeners is a problem, surely it could be helpful when seeking ad $.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 12:41 PM

I stumbled upon Chances With Wolves a few years ago and EVR soon after. Now I listen damn near all day erryday because there's nothing else like it and there seriously isn't a show I don't like. I can't even name any favorites because I don't want to think about not being able to listen to them anymore. The DJ's feel like friends to me (cube life is real lonely I guess). For real though I'm mad depressed. I would absolutely donate money every year (or month?) to keep it going. It's too important to disappear.

Posted by MooseKlaw | May 14, 2014 12:54 PM

re: 11:31 - All broadcasters, over-the-air and Internet, pay ASCAP, BMI and SESAC a flat rate (and they should; it compensates the songwriters.) Over-the-air radio doesn't have to pay the labels because years ago (the fifties), courts decided that a listener entertained was a listener advertised to - the promotional value of the play of a record was equal to the royalty due for the play of that recording. Problem is that congress passed the DMCA, making Internet broadcasters also pay per-listener royalties to Sound Exchange (the labels' collection agency) because the labels convinced congress that since digital copies are perfect copies (they aren't), digital broadcasters have to compensate "artists" (read: labels) for "lost sales". It's a scam, and broadcast radio was happy to go along with it because, in their eyes, less competition from the Internet is "good". Now the labels are looking at broadcast radio and saying "Internet broadcasters are paying us, why aren't you?" Eventually, radio will just be talk if this keeps up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 1:19 PM

I had a show, Penetration, on EVR for 4+ years from, Feb 2005 to May 2009. It was great, up until the programmers scheduled me into Siberia to make way for hipster DJs to appeal to their new Top Man sponsor. I refused the 5AM Monday mornings offer. In any case, it was great fun, but also good to have left the party when it was hot. You can see loads of photos of artists, album and guest at http://www.popularpublicity.com/dj-andy-reynolds.html

Posted by Andy Reynolds | May 14, 2014 1:38 PM

thats stinks

Posted by Laurie | May 14, 2014 3:14 PM

I am gonna miss Peer Pressure Radio. :-(

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 4:43 PM

Reading this really put a damper on my day. This seriously is/was one of the best curated internet music stations out there. My husband probably said it best in an email he earlier today when I broke the news to him:

------------------------------------------

"I'm super bummed.

EVR really opened the door to discovering new bands.

Some of my favourite EVR moments were:

- rediscovering Gary Numan's other songs
- the many playings of 'Roadrunner' by Jonathan Richman
- hearing 'Two Worlds Three Worlds' by A. Paul Ortega for the first time
- Jay Green reviewing Les Miz on Pizza Party
- Jay and J's reading the Johnny Depp Rolling Stone article on Cheapshots and making fun about how many scarves he wears
- the Halloween shows on Morricone Youth. They would play cuts from "The Shining"
- being sent to Zurich and having EVR post the postcard we sent on Instagram.
- if you search my last name on the EVR site, our names come up.
- stumbling across a really good "Delancey Music Service" show.
- Bird Dog."

------------------------------------------

EVR...we'll miss you.

Posted by waitforwalksignal | May 14, 2014 5:34 PM

another piece of nyc dies..

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 6:51 PM

^no one under 50 cares. Go cry in your beer and fart dust. Or better yet, be a real NY old guy and move to Miami.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 7:09 PM

When EVR closes it will probably become another Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 8:18 PM

or a Chinese Takeout!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 8:36 PM

7:09 You are SO clever little fella!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 8:59 PM

So pissed that you guys have to shut down. Damn it!
This really sucks. You'll be missed.

Posted by Todd McVey | May 15, 2014 10:17 AM