Posted in music | pictures on May 12, 2014

photos by Ebru Yildiz

HAIM @ T5, 5/10/2014
Haim

About two years ago you played a small club in Williamsburg called Glasslands and a year and a half later you're on Saturday Night Live, and now two sold out shows at Terminal 5, it sounds like it's been a crazy ride. How are you holding up?

It's really crazy. I think mostly because when you're living in LA, playing in New York was kind of like this crazy, unattainable thing. "Oh, I hope we go to New York one day." But in the past two years, we've played New York more times than we've played LA. And we're always so surprised because comparing New York to LA crowds, LA crowds are very tame and in New York we're always thinking "It'll probably be a lot like LA." And every time we're in New York we always get reminded of how crazy and rowdy New York audiences are. It's just so much fun to play in New York. It's fun to play in LA also because it's my hometown, but it's crazy to come to New York and play these crazy shows. And my 21st birthday I played a show in New York, it was Santacon where everybody dresses up as Santa for a day, and so the craziest show I ever played was that 21st birthday. It was the best 21st birthday I could ask for. - [Gothamist]

HAIM's ascent continues, having just played their two biggest NYC shows yet -- back-to-back sold-out shows at Terminal 5 over the weekend. At Saturday's show (5/10) the band played everything from their debut album, Days Are Gone" except "Go Slow" and they did a couple covers too -- Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well" and Beyonce's "XO." They also had a version of the album's art set up so that fans could take their picture against it like they were on the cover.

Tennis is opening a few of the dates on the current tour (including the Sunday [5/11] T5 show) but on Saturday night the opener was Portland's Shy Girls (aka Portland musician Dan Vidmar) who also played Output's Panther Room the next night. (UPDATE: That Panther Room show got cancelled last-minute, actually.) His set included a cover of Brandy's "Sittin' Up In My Room." You can stream the studio version of that, and check out pics from his T5 set and more pics of HAIM, below...

Tags: HAIM, Shy Girls

This is guaranteed trollbait.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2014 9:34 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't get what's good about this band? The first time I heard them I thought they were mediocre at best; then suddenly critics are falling all over themselves praising this album. I find nothing unique about their music and there's nothing exciting or moving about it either. I'm not trying to be a snarky BV commenter, but I just don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2014 9:37 PM

^ I kid you not, friend, I have found myself dwelling upon the very same thread of confusion. Even more mystifying to me is how the one sister who plays guitar in the band made some list of greatest guitar players. And as I commented before, sure, I get that a list filled with the inevitable dinosaurs like Page, Hendrix, Richards, etc., is going to always want to keep in fresh with young ones, and also making sure to keep women in there too. But what the living fuck. No Annie Clark? No Sarah Lipstate? No Marnie Stern? I don't care how much haute couture they want to infuse into their soft-rock-LA-lifestyle, this is watered-down pop at best.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2014 10:10 PM

This band seems like a satire to me, as if they're playing a big joke on the rest of us. I just don't get the appeal. Then again, I'm just an old man.

Posted by Donnie Sterling | May 12, 2014 10:17 PM

How flaky and insincere does the following sound?

"every time we're in New York we always get reminded of how crazy and rowdy New York audiences are."

Posted by Hey | May 12, 2014 10:20 PM

Oh, those crazy and rowdy New York HAIM audiences, fiercely holding up those iPads and iPhones with abandon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2014 10:28 PM

Unless you're under 16 and have a vagina, this band should not appeal to you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2014 10:42 PM

^that does not describe anyone looking at this site. done & done.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2014 11:47 PM

Good band. Judge me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 1:28 AM

Horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 4:35 AM

If this music came out in the late-80s/early 90s, their audience would have been middle-aged, chubby, white soccer-moms from middle-America. I gotta hand it to whoever is handling their marketing/branding... amazing hat they were able to somehow convince people that this bland vanilla dreck is edgy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 6:13 AM

The same people that liked Richard Marx, Amy Grant, and yes... Wilson-Phillips (who I've heard them compared to, although I don't see the comparison) would have loved this band. This is white-mom music.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 6:17 AM

These pictures are funny. They're posing like rockstars, as if they're grinding out monster riffs. How cute.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 6:43 AM

I'll tell you... this is one trend I never saw coming.. LiteFM-ish music becoming trendy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 6:44 AM

^Really? This has been going on a couple of years already. New "hipster" music sounds like Top 40 from the eighties, back when it was still "white," without all the hooks, but with plenty of trendy clothing and tattoos.

Terrible stuff, and I hate that it's theoretically related to the underground, but it probably sounds sweet in your condo or at brunch.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 7:36 AM

my lord the bassist was beaten with the... eh never mind, if you cant say anythign nice, better to not say anything at all

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 7:57 AM

I love the hatred on BV HAIM threads, probably more than any other BV thread hatred, because it reminds me that relatively speaking, I'm a pretty happy person.

Shine on, you bitter diamonds.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 8:52 AM

HOLY SHIT someone just went on a BV thread and wrote "theoretically related to the underground."

!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:09 AM

So she's saying it's crazy? Crazy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:13 AM

Fuck this above ground shit.

The only band I listen to right now is . They don't even have a visible name, because that shit is MAINSTREAM. Their shows consist of them running around town in hoodies punching people in the face, which they record, too. When you order one of 's records from their webstites they steal your credit card info and buy White Power shit and bullets and vintage sex toys and send them to your grandmother's house. A member kills himself every month. They don't speak English.

UNDERGROUND 4 LIFE MOTHERFUCKERS

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:14 AM

^^Cool. Reminds me of my favorite band. I have a 2 minute cassette tape of their only show, which was 5 minutes long, in a friend's garage, after which they immediately broke up. You probably know them because Maximum RnR had them on the cover as the best punk band ever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:17 AM

there should be no confusion regarding the hype of a new band signed to a major label courting indie media...$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:26 AM

LAIM

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:26 AM

I don't begrudge any band trying to find an audience and creating whatever success they want to achieve. That being said, for the type of music they play, HAIM's audience should be soccer moms, not indie-rock snobs. That's why it's confusing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:29 AM

^^^is that pronounced lame or lime?

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:29 AM

Their album is pure pop, I agree. But I find them really good live. I wasn't turned on to their live stuff until this year's Coachella performance was on tv recently. Their music is much better live.

Posted by yeah? | May 13, 2014 9:31 AM

I have nothing against pop. Even bland, formulaic pop has its audience... but usually it's not the indie snob club.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:34 AM

Interesting how posts about bands with success get many more comments on this site than the indie bands everyone here claims are much better. Everytime U2, Coldplay, the National or some successful band is mentioned, the posts get lots of (mostly negative) comments but the posts that mention supopsedly "cool": bands have 1 comment.

At the end, that does not change the fact that every band wants to be successful like Haim and the National regardless of how much they say they love playing at Cake Shop.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 9:54 AM

"That is stuff David Lee Roth and Paul Stanley say from the stage when they're bored and drunk. So so so lame!"

Fuck you, you anti-semitic piece of shit. Stanley doesn't drink and it was common knowledge Roth's Jack Daniels was filled with iced tea. And the Haim girlls are Jews too, so you manage to insult all the way around, Sterling.

And yes, Haim, are bland, dull pop disguised and marketed as 'indie.' Shitheads seem to be eating eat up though, so the joke is on us.

Haim hasn't even been around very long yet their schtick already feels tired and cliched. Someone needs to punch the bass player in that stupid mug of hers, those fake faces are insulting to look at. Is anything about this band authentic?

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:01 AM

9:54, my gripe is not with bands that are successful. It's that somehow, I feel like the indie scene has been bought and now they are selling us formulaic generic crap and trying to convince us that it's the most profoundly amazing music out there. And it's more annoying that the lemmings have bought into it.
Bands want to make a living. I don't begrudge them that. And I don't blame HAIM. I blame BV, and Pitchfork, and everyone else who I feel like is playing a practical joke on us.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:06 AM

Went to the show with a few friends to check them out and I was pleased with their overall performance. The audience and band had a lot of energy (god I hate T5, so overbooked it hurt) and the girls from Haim rocked it pretty hard. Nothing groundbreaking, but they passed my sniff test

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:08 AM

10:08, I'm sure they are probably not bad live... And they deserve to have an audience. But for the type of music they play, their audience should be 16 year old girls and their moms.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:17 AM

^ I've often wondered if the girls from HAIM could pass my sniff test

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:18 AM

Totally looking for beaver shots in the photos.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:23 AM

7:36, I'm old. I remember the 80s. I just find it funny that these young bands are influenced by 80s pop, but they're influenced by the worst elements of it. There was so much great stuff in the 80s; I feel like they missed the point.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:23 AM

This all reminded me of a great guitarist.. Steve Vai

Posted by Guard Dogs | May 13, 2014 10:24 AM

To add to 10:23, if any of this stuff (not just HAIM, but also Sky Ferreria, Blood Orange, etc) was sold and marketed in the 80s, it would have either ended up in the 99 cent bin, or would've gotten airplay on the Adult Contemporary radio stations.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:27 AM

She's my little rock 'n roll ...

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:27 AM

Sky Ferreria and Blood Orange have no songs. They would never have gotten major label deals in the 80s. Radio would never have played them. No sense of melody or originality.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:35 AM

There needs to be an alternative to this site. Astoria Carnivore.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:38 AM

"...those crazy and rowdy New York audiences".
They know nothing about rowdy.
They should've been around in the early 80s when people used to break bottles over peoples' heads at hardcore shows, and when kids used to set off M-80s at metal big-arena concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 10:43 AM

The forced misogyny of post city boyz is wonderful to read. You're so frustrated. Just like I predicted. Those train rides are tough.

You're commenting on teen gals, post city boy style.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 13, 2014 11:17 AM

so sorry FartFace - Smashing Pumpkins fans are not allowed to comment on music posts any longer. Demz da rulez.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 11:26 AM

Puzzled by how such disposable dogshit continues to inspire and flourish.

Re: 10:27.... yup.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 11:40 AM

"early 80s when people used to break bottles over peoples' heads at hardcore shows, and when kids used to set off M-80s at metal big-arena concerts."

People used to drop M-80s from the rafters at MSG during Zeppelin concerts in the 70s. Nothing new there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 12:05 PM

wow that sounds awesome, having mini bombs dropped around me while trying to catch a concert

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 12:32 PM

Um, it's pop music folks. What's the big deal? I listened to their album and it's pretty good for pop music with catchy hooks, tight vocal harmonies, and a slick compressed sound. Not your thing? I hear ya. But the demonization and incredulity in the posts here are puerile at best. You have all established that you are way cooler than this, so you can stop now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 12:40 PM

I had a rather long talk with friends the other night about this past years coachella and how it's really such a far departure of what it once was, the last time we went 05. and how goldenvoice has succumbed to the demand for mediocre bands the are excessively stylized as most of the crowd is. celebs getting paid to go to the show and be seen. seeing some of the highlights this past years festival, filled with loads of bands that have names without even a hint of irony. I mean these kids suck and they are getting put on a stage. the worst case of this was a band called Group Love. they sound as bad as their name suggests.

saw some footage of this band here Haim and this band is a testament that if you apply yourself greatly at making mediocre music you can become a "cool" band these day. Still, nothing is classic or even particularly good about their sound. They do play this soft pop rock well after all.

I think at the end of the day it shows you what sells these days can be very little, as long as you are focused while doing it. That's essentially what all these tired as bands are doing and kids eat it up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 12:48 PM

A post city boy isn't happy until he's miserable. They drive themselves crazy in that big town.

I sympathize.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 13, 2014 12:48 PM

LAIM

Posted by LAIMSTREAM MEDIA | May 13, 2014 12:58 PM

So, if it's pop, let's let pop hang where it's most comfortable...Rolling Stone, EW, Billboard, etc. Remember the days when heading to Pitchfork meant escaping this "good pop"? Ha, how the chickens have come home to roost. I wonder, what's next to clean this slate?

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 1:17 PM

LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM LAIM

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 1:18 PM

12:40, it's not about HAIM itself. I have no problem with pop music. If people enjoy it, that's great.
It's about the fact that they've been marketed as this hip, edgy, "best thing since sliced bread" type of band. Sites like Pitchfork and BV who have a 'holier than thou' attitude about music will completely trash a band for putting out a pop record (or ignore them for that matter), but somehow love this band...
I don't get the criteria for what is considered cool by these sites anymore. My only guess is to assume that record labels are paying them off in some way.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 1:23 PM

1:17, amen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 1:28 PM

It's a little thing called P.A.Y.O.L.A

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 1:43 PM

The iPods

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 2:13 PM

Oh, c'mon and tell me that this does not have ROCKSTAR written all over it ...

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 2:20 PM

HAIM is considered "indie," or some semblance of that in certain quarters, so everything discussed here is legit. It's basic Top 40 pop, and it's mentioned in the same breath as all the punk and metal covered here. Because they dress like they live in Bushwick?

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 2:25 PM

If the girls from Saved By The Bell formed a band, it would sound like this.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 3:50 PM

HAIM RULES. YOU'RE PASTY CITY BOYS.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 4:09 PM

HAIM sucks, and it's just shitty Top 40 pop. It sounds like Wilson Phillips. And it's bad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 4:20 PM

Their album is pop. Their live performances are not. So shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 4:35 PM

HAIM reminds me of when Tina Yothers put a band together, and Skippy wanted to manage them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 4:51 PM

Their live performances are METAL \m/

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 4:58 PM

how about people stop commenting and hating on bands. people have different music tastes, get over it and shut up. they have real talent unlike all of the musicians out there today. that's all there is too it. now, please keep your rude comments to yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2014 8:32 PM

So excited to see them in Chicago with Tennis this Saturday!!

Posted by morgan | May 14, 2014 12:28 AM

Spice Girls with guitars.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 12:58 AM

HAIM reminds me of when Tina Yothers sharted, and her sharts started a band, and Skippy wanted to manage them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 1:06 AM

10:38 : Flushing Carnivore

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 8:44 PM

"they have real talent unlike all of the musicians out there today."

Oh THERE's a real gem of a quote.

Truly outrageous.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 8:46 PM

12:40 - pop music is all fine and good, but it has its place. Pitchfork, BV, etc should not be that place.
Imagine if it were 1997, and all of a sudden your favorite music magazine, who you rely on to find out about cool new bands, started publishing articles about how great the Backstreet Boys are. You'd feel cheated. Here in 2014, that's how I feel as a music fan, reading these so-called "indie" blogs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 9:33 PM

All of the highschool girls posting in this thread only found BV by googling for Haim articles.

Take a bottle of Poland Springs at the door, girls... and cool off.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2014 9:38 PM

I was at the first night showing. Mind you, I attended because my brother bought tickets and salivates for these sisters. I cannot say I feel the same about them. Their album was very boring and just, not for me whatsoever. It was lacking a whole lot. Our 21st century generation is really caught up in aesthetics, shit fucking sucks.

But, regardless of all this, they entertain well. They play their instruments pretty well, too. Are they Annie Clark level? No. Annie is UNTOUCHABLE.

But, it was a good show. I went back and gave their album a second listen, still shit. I guess this is just a band you go to see if you have nothing better to do on a Friday or Saturday night and want to fend off sixteen year old girls with fake ID cards and bad shitty attitudes.

P.S.
SHY GIRLS WAS HORRIBLE. WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2014 12:29 AM

21st century kids are ok with mediocrity because they don't know any better.

Posted by Anonymous | May 16, 2014 7:18 AM