Posted in music on May 4, 2014

Alberto Scott

A fan died at Rise Records-signed metalcore band Miss May I's show at the Studio at Webster Hall in NYC Saturday night (the same night Against Me! was playing the save venue in the Grand Ballroom), possibly after stage diving. Limited details have been released but the band posted the following message:

Hey everyone, we are aware of the incident that occurred at Webster Hall last night and will be posting a statement shortly. However, we are awaiting further information regarding the situation before we are able to make a full statement
In the comments of that post, one fellow fan wrote:
A kid stage dove and nobody caught him. He suffered a serious blow to the head and paramedics & doctors weren't able to save him. Club and show venues need to really enforce the "No stage Diving" rule so stuff like this won't happen. The stage is meant for the band to be on and the band only. R.I.P Alberto.
UPDATE Webster Hall says that despite what people are saying at Miss May I's Facebook, "the patron in question did not die while stage diving. The patron collapsed while exiting the venue, as video footage and the police corroborate."

Sinestra Studios reports that he was 21 year old Alberto Scott and they've collected testimonials from those from the scene who knew him:

"The first time I met Alberto was around Veil of Maya in 2013. He was doing his thing and my first impression was "man, I do not want to get in there with that guy. He's like the terminator Kevin Hart." Then I gave him a pat while I went and did my thing. We talked for a bit and after that, I knew He was one great mosher and a very cool f**king guy from start to finish and I'm gonna miss those kicks he does when he throw down. The scar on my lip from his kick during The Word Alive's set at Memphis May Fire was an honor. R.I.P Alberto, You were a good friend. Stay moshing in heaven man."

--Bryan Nieves--

The picture above was posted by a Jenise Ramos Sarraga who also wrote:
This is the young man that died last night. No one blames the venue or the band, he lived and breathed Miss May I and truth is he hadnt been feeling well before the show. He was my daughters best friend and came home after this picture crazy excited. He even hung a dollar bill signed by [Miss May I vocalist] Levi. Until autopsy results come in no one will know what happened. All I ask is for prayers for his friends and family and that God provide a way to be able for them to be able to cover funeral expenses. No one thinks that they will have to bury a 21yr old. Miss May I made him happy. Thanks.
Jenise has also started collecting money where she writes:
On 5/3/14 this vibrant 21 year old young man with a passion for Screamo music and big dreams went to his favorite band's concert and collapsed and died after dancing. His only family is his sister and her family who all live in Florida and are already struggling financially. Please consider donating to help this family say goodbye to a life gone way too soon. Any amount would help to ease this family's burden at this painful time. Thank you in advance.
Rest in peace Alberto, and people be careful out there.

At least he died doing what he loved.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:34 PM

this is awful. sorry to hear. i'm sure more will come out on the specifics, but i'm going to guess that shit like this is sadly inevitable with people stagediving and whatnot. i wonder if the venue can / will be sued for this (obviously secondary to what happened).

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:34 PM

That first testimonial made me think this was an Onion article, no way do people talk like that in real life. Heavy Metal Parking Lot 2014.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:35 PM

Who moshes to to this mall metal?

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:38 PM

8:38 you are a fucking asshole

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:41 PM

So.. what happened? Jumped off stage and hit his head?

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:41 PM

Come on kiddies, let's have a little respect here. Kid had a family who is mourning the loss of a 21 year old.

Have some respect as it's a very sad situation.

8.28 is a spineless pathetic piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:46 PM

If you read the whole post the headline is very misleading. He hadn't been feeling well before the show and collapsed "after dancing". It doesn't seem like a single traumatic incident (hitting head) but like someone who had some undiagnosed illness (heart defect, aneurysm, etc).
Regardless, this is a horrible tragedy and the need to blame someone shouldn't be the focus of this article.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 8:47 PM

"He hadn't been feeling well before the show and collapsed "after dancing"."

that's a description of what happened by a family friend who wasn't there and is trying to downplay the truth while collecting money

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 9:10 PM

Too bad he didn't land on Heath Miller.

Posted by Milkycerealbaby | May 4, 2014 9:55 PM

there should've been a few douchebags filming with ipads to break his fall.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 10:17 PM

Miss May I SUCKS!

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2014 11:57 PM

Bryan Nieves testimonial seems fake.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 12:09 AM

you suck miss may I is awesome fucking metal

Posted by frank | May 5, 2014 12:19 AM

All whom partake in shows where such activities take place should be well-aware of the potentialities of safety hazards. When you go to a show of this genre (as well the majority of general admission shows), you should help people who fall while dancing, keep the crowd surfers afloat, and catch people who stage dive; it's part of the culture. Unfortunately, there seemed to have been inexperienced, uninformed, and unaware people who weren't familiar with the show-etiquette that many of us breathe naturally. The key thing here is to be aware of your surroundings, so that an incident such as this one never occurs.

This was a very tragic event in metal history, and for the band to deal with.
RIP Alberto, and my condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by UnderTheJRose | May 5, 2014 12:33 AM

Milkycerealbaby, the Heath Miller comment is hilarious. As for Alberto, horrible tragedy anyway you look at it. I was at the show. Had never seen Alberto before that night but he was truly an animal in the pit. Was like watching Bruce Lee destroying 10 guys at once in Enter The Dragon. My heart goes out to his family & friends. RIP Alberto

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 12:37 AM

He does not only have family in Florida he has well loved family in New York and other states yes we appreciate the donations it's well needed but wen looking for information makes sure it's FACTS!!! Not fiction!!!! If you guys don't know it all don't speak on it at all!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 12:37 AM

And for all u daggers with the negativity go suck a dick take that shit else fucking where this is family y'all are talking about this isn't no joke or anything for u fags to bring ur negativity to wen grief is in motion go fuck y'all selves assholes!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 12:41 AM

^ ???????

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 1:26 AM

he looked like an early 90s bro who grooved on blind mellon, doritos xtremes, and roller blading

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 2:01 AM

One less asshole kicking peope in the face while "dancing"? Sooooooo sad

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 9:34 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 10:22 AM

Crackhead.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 10:34 AM

10:22 of course the venue would say that

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 12:02 PM

Come on people, now is not the time to joke about this and if you don't like the band who cares! It's not about you its about the person who died and his family is mourning! Have respect for this!!!

Posted by j sites | May 5, 2014 1:29 PM

Posted by anon | May 5, 2014 1:42 PM

The owner of this website struggles with the ethics behind posting this kind of news. He has a city conscience but everyone in that touristy cuteness has a price. His price is clicks.

I see through all city swine.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 5, 2014 1:52 PM

"did not die stage diving"

But can not be ruled out as a contributing factor in his death.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 2:00 PM

"the guy did not die stage diving. he was asked to leave the mosh pit to take a breather because he was getting rowdy. security politely asked him to leave, there was no altercation between him and security, he agreed politely, and walked out. he then collapsed on the floor, mid-step, on the way out. not sure what happened before that, but nothing i heard about involved stage diving. kind of important not to misrepresent that. webster is pretty safe, have extremely tight security, too tight IMHO, and stay on top of their shit, often at the expense of fun. i doubt they did anything but try to help him."

^^^^^^^^
Worker at Webster Hall, it happened after stage diving and their security took too long to take him outside and they had no paramedics. It's a damn shame because no one is threatening to sue that they are lying.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 2:44 PM

Family of deceased: don't accept the venue's story. I'd wager the NYPD offered to plant a firearm and some pot on the poor guy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 3:10 PM

I was at the Against Me! show upstairs that night. I have no insight into what happened, but I'm shocked and saddened to hear of the death of this young man and fellow music lover. For those of Alberto's family and friends reading this - please hang in there in this challenging time, my sincere condolences. I hope idiots on the internet and any unappreciated press coverage don't make this harder than it is.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 3:12 PM

I guess he forgot to eat his collard greens and fried chicken before he went to mosh

Poor dumb sot

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 4:42 PM

XMOSHXBROX DIES, WHOLE WORLD CRIES

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 8:11 PM

stupid nigg

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 8:25 PM

What happened nobody caught him cause he was black ? Real talk

Posted by eazy L | May 5, 2014 8:41 PM

I was there at the show that night, and yeah the dude was stage diving a lot but he was caught a lot but I believe at one point he dived into the pit with no one to catch him. He seemed like a great guy, rest in peace. He did go out with what he loved.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2014 10:19 PM

he would have died in prison anyway

at least now my tax dollars aren't affected

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2014 12:03 AM

Gorillas in the mosh

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2014 1:08 AM

It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2014 8:28 AM

Moshing and even worse, what appears to be a "culture" around it, is for fucking retards, fact. Moshing looks terrible and is just about male aggression, it should be deaded ASAP.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2014 12:10 PM

This young man was a student of mine. He was a wonderful person who never stopped dreaming. RIP, berto! Ms. G

Posted by Alexandra | May 6, 2014 2:07 PM

if security is asking you to leave and you're kicking people in their mouths maybe you're not a "great mosher" but a violent mosher who is a threat. maybe you should calm down before you hurt someone else or yourself. Regardless, the young man obviously didn't deserve to die and may he rest in peace.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2014 3:36 PM

stage divers and crowd surfers in general need to take stock of the audience and see if they are strong enough to support them. Alberto Scott does not look like a small dude. I doubt he jumped into the floor head first but instead thought the people could support him when they couldn't and got out of the way because they didn't want to get hurt by what they probably viewed as a projectile missile.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2014 3:39 PM

So sad, I think the safety would be increased at that time. The technology is updated day to day, and if they keep it in mind so the accident could be neglected.

Posted by cyrilkeiser | May 7, 2014 12:59 AM

Bryan Nieves testimonial is real fuck you look like saying is fake. That's my friend you talking about their. Miss May I is fucking awesome , you people is missing out. I might not know the guy that died but RIP dude , I was at the show I didn't know you was dying and I feel bad because I was mad due to the fact that they stopped the show. RIP I hope you show the people in heaven your moshing and crowd surfing skills.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2014 11:18 AM

sad the kid died, but the one guy says he has a scar from the kid (from getting kicked in the mouth), another says he looked like Bruce Lee fighting people, wtf is wrong with these people? Somewhere along the way moshing became kicking and punching each other?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2014 11:55 AM

I was there and he didn't die while stage diving! He died on a freak accident and that webster hall help also. They're security sucks ass because they're trying not o get sued which they will and I hope justice comes to serves tito. we called him tito and he was having too much fun and I loved miss may I but from what I saw that night he did stage dive and people caught him. Then he got on the floor and spoke to my best friend about hanging out later then security comes and tells hom to go over by the atm area which he did but while going he stumbled and almost fell. The security caught him and he fell again which they held on to him until they let him go which I don't know why but when they did let him go the last time hi s face smacks against the steps hard! And we were all shocked and we didn't know what to do so he each held him by arms and legs and carried him out of the venue then they laid him out sitting position outside we wanted to give him water but the emt of webster said no he might drown or something. Then I look at him and he isn't breathing and I told them this they told me that " he's unconscious and that he's okay but they never checked to see if he's okay. If that guy were really a emt why he didn't do the common procedures to save a life... he still would've been still with us if it wasn't for that fall he took on the steps. I'm sry but I do blame partially webster hall for not taking care of him. Also another note that is why NYPD kept asking us is he drunk? Is he on drugs? Why not just ask what happen who was he with? Where he lives... there was soo much questions about drugs ad liquor like really?.. I just lost a friend and I Saw when he was in the emt truck and they were pumping his chest trying to keep him alive that's the thing that'll never leave my mind is that he died loving his favorite band and no one knows the whole truth but me and my friends and we'll gonna make sure that justice is served! For tito and his family

Posted by wilson | May 9, 2014 12:21 PM

I love my uncle alberto scatt tha die May 3 20014 we miss him he is my faborite uncle we miss you tio you now you just to argu with sandy but she miss you a lot me too

Posted by Kiana Santos | June 2, 2014 2:27 PM