Posted in metal | music on May 23, 2014

by Ian Chainey

Agnostic at a packed Black N'Blue Bowl at The Well(via)
Black n blue bowl

Agnostic Front, who just played the Black N' Blue Bowl with their Cause For Alarm lineup (Vinnie Stigma, Alex Kinon, Rob Kabula & Louie Beato), have added Craig Silverman as their new guitarist. Silverman has spent time in Only Living Witness, Blood for Blood, and Slapshot. (So, yes, a one-time Slapshot player is in a NYHC band. In other news, the newlyweds next door are a cat and dog.) Agnostic Front posted the following to their Facebook:

Agnostic Front would like to welcome Craig Silverman, our new guitar player to the family. He is no stranger to the hardcore scene. A true veteran, Craig has played for Only Living Witness, Blood For Blood, Ramallah, Slapshot and many more! We are proud, excited and happy to have him with us on our upcoming tour in Europe this coming August!
The 2014 Black N Blue Bowl went down over two days outside at The Well in Bushwick last weekend (5/17 & 5/18). The jam packed lineup, in addition to Agnostic Front, included d-beat pioneers Discharge, Ludichrist (who are reissuing albums), Power Trip, Incendiary, 7 Seconds, All Out War, Beyond, Against the Grain, NYC punk vets Kraut, Sworn Enemy, Take Offense, Biohazard, Hatebreed and more. Rancid guitarist/vocalist Lars Frederiksen also showed up at the fest and posed with fans (as you can see below). Some pictures and video are in this post.

It was a big week for Black N Blue who succesfully packed out the Well for 2 days before saying goodbye forever to their East Village Radio show two days later (and 1 minute before Invisible Oranges aired their last show on the closing station). Listen to BNB's EVR archives.

Other upcoming hardcore and punk shows include Sheer Terror at Brooklyn Night Bazaar TONIGHT (5/23), The Rival Mob/Blacklisted/World War 4 at LPR in June, The Virus at Acheron in June, This is Hardcore fest (July 24-27 in Philly), Deathwish Fest in Boston in July, and Back to School Jam in NJ on August 23.

Videos and more pics from BNB Bowl below...

Hoya Madball selling a NYHC shirt @ Black N'Blue Bowl (via)
Black n blue bowl

Power Trip @ Black N'Blue Bowl (via)
Black n blue bowl

7 Seconds @ Black N'Blue Bowl (via)
Black n blue bowl

Discharge @ Black N'Blue Bowl (via)
Black n blue bowl

DISCHARGE & SKAMDUST @ Black N'Blue Bowl (via)
Black n blue bowl

Agnostic Front @ Black N'Blue Bowl (via)
Black n blue bowl

Lars Frederiksen w/ a fan at Black N' Blue Bowl (via)
Lars

Aug 15 Bannerman's Bar - Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Aug 16 Fibbers - York, United Kingdom
Aug 17 Forum - London, United Kingdom RSVP
Aug 22 Cieszanów Rock Festival - Cieszanow, Poland

looks like romance.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 2:10 PM

If you've got a tattoo across your forehead, well you might just be a dumbass

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 2:11 PM

trust that lars fredericksen has zero concern for looking like a dumbass, @2:11.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 2:41 PM

The only hardcore band I like is Asa Akira, Diamond Jackson and Kieran Lee.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 23, 2014 2:53 PM

Like that top 5 lol

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 3:01 PM

This was a really good weekend. Hatebreed setlist was perfect. Biohazard didnt seem to miss a beat without Evan. Power Trip and Incendiary were great on Sunday.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 3:23 PM

So I can smear doo doo all over my body and wave my dick at passers-by, and ao long as I have a lot of money I am not lewd or repulsive? So having money makes anything you do acceptable?

Now that is truly the spirit of hardcore

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 3:56 PM

I don't care who you are, if you have shit tattooed on your face you are a fucking moron

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 4:07 PM

^So true...

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 4:39 PM

It's funny that the video of 7 Seconds is for "Not Just Boys Fun"..where it obviously is at this show

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 6:15 PM

Packed? That looked like 700-800 people tops to me which is shit for a BNB Bowl. Alot of empty space on that "dance floor" in some of those videos.

BNB is slipping. Judge saved their ass last year, Rancid the year before that, replicating the 1991 Superbowl Of Hardcore the year before that.

Who will save their ass next year?

Now THIS is a REAL superbowl of hardcore:

1/19/91 @ The Ritz. Sick Of It All and Agnostic Front in their prime.

AF needs to kick out Vinny, Mike, Pokey, and the newest hack they got on guitar and bring back Matt, Craig, and Will.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 6:56 PM

<3 Leeway shirt girl.

<3 x 10 the girl in black short shorts next to the stage (video still.)

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 6:59 PM

@6:56 You are wrong. The Well legit holds 2500 people. It's huge. I went on Sunday and there was probably 1200 people at one point. Midway through Discharge about half of the crowd left though. Saturday looked more crowded, maybe 1800? That's more than Webster Hall, which holds 1500.

BNB Works their ass off to put on a good show. The fact that people did not come out in droves for Discharge is their loss. They were great live.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 10:08 PM

10:08pm

1200 people my ass and GTFOH with that 1800 noise. I've been going to shows for over 20 years and those pictures do NOT look like 1200 or even 900. Admit each show did under 1000 which is impressive for a fest but crap for a superbowl of hardcore when you booked a ton of bands on each show and it's mostly NYC bands. 'Thing is NY is dead so it's not surprising the shows did ok which is all they did.

Discharge has been irrelevant for over three decades. They were a glam rock band at the real end.

BNB is overrated. All they do is book headliners who will 75% fill the room on their names alone then fill out the rest of the lineup e.g. Rancid in 2012 and Judge in 2013. Mark my words they will book Suicidal Tendencies and Bad Religion on next year's BNB Bowl because those bands are still sure bet draws and who else could they get? I could even see them getting Off! or Fucked Up if they wanted to pull in the hipster hardcore crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2014 11:05 PM

@11:05 I have been going to shows since 1987. Circle Jerks was my first show. I am great at estimating crowds and have promoted shows myself. You can't tell attendance from a few photos. I was there Saturday and at the height there was at least 1000. The place is HUGE. Way way bigger than Webster Hall.

How is NY dead!?

What's wrong with booking a great headliner? What is your beef with BNB? I just don't get it. I am not a fan of ST anymore, but Bad Religion would be awesome, as would OFF! or Flag.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 5:29 PM

It has been scientificaly proven that when you started to go to shows has no correlation to the ability to estimate crowd size. The two factors are unrelated. Asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 5:44 PM

You say "glam rock" like that is a bad thing. Alice Cooper is glam rock, so just relax there tough guy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 5:46 PM

These are some of the dumbest people on the planet.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 5:55 PM

@5:44 Well, I have also promoted shows for years and I know what I am talking about, asshole! And I disagree, when you are younger and you go to a big show, it seems like there are more people there. When you have been to 500+ shows like I have, you can estimate much easier and relate it to other shows you've been to. I really wish some of you keyboard warriors would talk face to face with the BNB guys and let them know your opinion. Fucking pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 6:30 PM

5:29/5:44 are both super old school and booked shows for years- how cool are those guys, huh??!

Next year BNB is doing a DC thing: Scream, GI, Soulside, Kingface, Dag Nasty and a Faith reunion.

If you know what's up, you'll be there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 7:06 PM

5:29pm At it's height 1000...yeah, weakass turnout for that lineup when past BNB Bowls 1500-2000 sold out. Biohazard with three local openers at L'Amour did at least that. I have been going to shows since '87, too, your point? It's not so much how long I've been going to shows, it's I've been to shows with over 1000 people and that first photo in this set isn't 1000 or more. Too much space in the middle and back, too narrow from side to side.

NY is dead cuz it's mostly oldass reunion bands and big shows.

Off! or Flag would be ridiculous considering both play to hipster crowds. ST is done as a viable band. BR would be the most realistic band to get, they'd do it for the right price.

My beef with BNB? No beef. They're overrated. They do one big dumb weekend of shows and a handful of shows outside of that a year and I'm supposed to bow down to them? I don't think so.

5:46pm Glam rock sucks and so does Alice Cooper since the 80s minus his appearance in Wayne's World.

6:30pm Says someone who posts as "Anonymous". Eat a fucking dick. BNB is DMS who jumped people two or more on one for years so anyone who confronts them is just dumb to.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 7:27 PM

Ha ha, all these fuckin' guys are in their fifties and shit. GTFO

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 7:29 PM

BTW looking at first picture...the show looks like it happened next to a construction site with all those bricks to the right LOL.

Look at the very back from the guy with the Judge 2013-14 t-shirt to the back. 50 people tops and that's half the fucking floor in front of the skinny cheapass state fair stage. I count about 18 people in the lower left quadrant of the pic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 7:36 PM

You two geniuses are easier to hook than D

Trolled ... look it up

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 7:49 PM

retard convention

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 8:46 PM

@8:46 No, that's where your mom and dad met

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 8:48 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 8:50 PM

^ this guy will not rest until this other guy Anonymous admits that there were a big bunch of neck tat saggy old miscreants all in one place.

Here's to you, Mr. Can't let the shit die, gotta prove I'm right JV sausage man!

Great American Hero

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 9:31 PM

That isn't anywhere close to 1200 or 1800. 1000 tops. BTW why the touchiness re: attendance? This Bowl didn't do anywhere close to last year's, deal with it. How 'bout BNB goes back to doing one show? Two shows says you don't have the ability to put together ONE strong show anymore. It's not a "bowl" anymore, it's a fest now. Bowl = one show, not two shows. Rename it "Black 'N' Blue Fest".

The '91 Superbowl Of Hardcore lineup, Rancid, Judge, and Discharge/Hatebreed saved their asses the past four years. Next year Suicidial Tendencies and some other big old band will save their asses again. I could see them making it three days and still calling it a "bowl" when it'd be more a fest than it is now lol.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 9:37 PM

Haha, hilarious that retards on this site are trying to use their scientific logic eye skill as to how many people can fit an allotted space!?! Are you the serious!?! You're pro ably the same people that love to guess how many penny's are in that glass container at your weekend job at TJ Maxx.

What a bunch of clowns.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 10:35 PM

looks like 550 peple max

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2014 10:48 PM

I used a computer program to count heads in the picture. There are 628. Not 1000. Not 1600. Not 2000. 628.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2014 12:06 AM

10:35pm is the no-life idiot who feels the need to comment about these retards.

628? Hahaha. Whatever. Bottom line is there aren't 1200 or 1800 people there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2014 1:18 AM

628 people
18 females
10,000+ stupid tattoos
50,000 collective IQ points

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2014 2:02 AM

@ 7:36 nice one, Harley

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2014 3:52 AM

The only thing that will save Black n Blue next year would be a case of letting bygones be bygones with Integrity and Slapshot. I feel like those are way more realistic than seeing a proper Cro Mags reunion at this point.

One can hope for Leeway, Cause For Alarm, and current bands that aren't so Reaper Records-friendly (Stick Together, World War 4, the Rival Mob, Clear, Dead End Path, etc.)

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2014 3:54 AM

Leeway is never happening again and even if it did it would be a shadow of what they were 1985-95, so best they don't return. Cause For Alarm wouldn't draw anyone like thet didn't when they were really around. Slap Shot has seen better days but would draw some heads. If Integrity FINALLY played NYC it MUST be the classic lineup of Dwid, Aaron and Lenny Melnick with the drummer for the Dwid/Melnicks show in Baltimore. And have Ringworm share the bill as they are more than deserving.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2014 1:17 PM

Glooooory Dayz
They'll pass you bye

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 12:01 AM

628 dayz of summer

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 12:50 AM

I was at Wrestlemania III, and as much as Vince McMahon likes to claim that there were 93,173 people there, the number was really only about 91,526, TOPS. I got bored and left after Rowdy Roddy Piper beat Adrian Adonis.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 12:02 PM

All I said was there wasn't 1200 or 1800 people there per show and it's not hard to figure out that upon looking at the first photo in this set. Look at the crowd behind the guy in the red Judge shirt - nowhere close to 100 people in that area. ALOT of empty space back there.

Bottom line is this Bowl drew wayyyy less than last year's. Add to that this venue is nowhere close to being as good as Webster Hall and the BNB Bowl is played out. Again the '91 Superbowl Of Hardcore, Rancid, Judge, and Discharge/Hatebreed saved BNB's ass. All BNB does is land a big name like they did with Rancid then Judge (or two big names in this year's case with Discharge and Hatebreed) then fill out the lineup. I could see them booking Suicidal Tendencies both days and Gorilla Biscuits on one of them for 2015 to buy another year. Mark it down that ST will play next year's Bowl and if not them some other big band who could headline Irving Plaza.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 2:17 PM

Part of next year's BNB Bowl lineup:

- Suicidal Tendencies both nights
- Crumbsuckers (Ludichrist came back, why not them? It'd be their first play in nine years.)
- Take Offense for a FOURTH time
- Farenheit 451 (since they're back and BNB featured them recently)
- Turnstile and Angel Dust (ex-Trapped Under Ice bands)
- Obligatory 2-3 LIHC bands who formed in 2013/14/15 and have played 0-3 NYC shows between them
- Obligatory 2-3 Reaper Records bands

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 2:31 PM

6:56 & 11:05 marked the anonymous return of D! Why be anonymous, D?

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 8:09 PM

He did like to individually answer critics, but not enough acrimony. I say D Jr.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 8:43 PM

That's D. He is in 'appearing to be reasonable' mode. Welcome back champ.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 10:51 PM

8:09/8:13
Serious question:
Do you have a job? I was just wondering who has the kind of disposable time to not only identify an Anonymous poster by his writing style but also conclude that they have returned after an absence? You know that normal people have friends and family and even hobbies that they would devote that level of time to?

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 11:07 PM

Son, my boy D got opinions that destroy you like 42 decks... And his unwavering comment stamina is proof he be shooting up on that golden brown colored hummus with uncut Phyto-Nuttients. Don't f*ck with D, or you get the D in the B... Knameen?

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2014 11:24 PM

11:07pm apparently doesn't have a job because if he/she did he/she wouldn't be wondering how a BV comments poster can tell if it's me at 11:07pm at night before the start of a new workweek for most people. Seriously, what/why do you care if someone is saying it's me? Go to bed as don't you have work later today?

Yeah, those posts were me. I figured if I were to return it should be to comment on the most overrated event in the history of hardcore, and not even "return" as I just popped up to say my peace.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 12:47 AM

Actually, the second most overrated after This Is Hardcore.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 12:48 AM

11:07 can S all my D. Yo, shout out to the homie D. He's posting at 12:47 am and you know he is going to hold it down tomorrow at C-Town like a motherfucking BOSS.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 1:14 AM

11:07, because unlike yourself, D has a take. You may not agree with it, but you know it's him. I recognized his style from the two posts. Maybe your brain doesn't work on a high enough level to recognize writing styles? You spent a lot of disposable time responding to my seven words.

Posted by 8:09 | May 27, 2014 10:23 AM

1:14am Ahhhh the C-Town reference. I'm not really back until someone says I work there LOL.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 2:01 PM

Given the number of posts in response to 11:07 I'd say he was spot on

Not that it would be any surprise

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 2:07 PM

Post city stuff.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | May 27, 2014 2:09 PM

^ Suck my grammar, Nazi

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 2:13 PM

What, all done posting at Gawker, freak?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 2:15 PM

Grammar Fag had a big day over at Gawker. He had some mind blowing stuff to say about gun control, the #YesAllWomen hashtag, and even found the time to snark about Kimye. Super important, revelatory ideas.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 2:23 PM

What's up, D? Since you've been gone... actually only in the past 2 months, this site has become a 50/50 mix of neo-emo (some call it "Sachercore" for its main supporter) and PR from bands like Perfect Pussy. There's no point in really coming back.

Posted by xTAINTx | May 27, 2014 2:52 PM

Hey XTAINTX how are you man?

The one person who had the fucking balls to email me at a Gmail address I shut down cuz none of you had the fucking balls to write me save him, and he will attest was totally cool with him, folks.

Yeah, Perfect Pussy, the Syracuse band who made me have a newfound appreciation for Earth Crisis. Seriously I will take EC over this fucking hipster hardcore shit Perfect Pussy anytime.

Tell me about it. Now there's some jerkoff babbling on about post-city blah blah blah.

I think it's time to wreck some entries, totally hijack them.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 3:11 PM

Now about these photos.

Discharge? Fuck off. You sold out to be a glam rock band back in the '80s.

Kevin Seconds was all on the "alternative rock" tip in the late '80s-early '90s. 7 Seconds came back only when punk broke big with Rancid, Offspring, Green Day, Pennywise, and NoFX the five biggest turds to ever come out of California (Green Day by way of Madison, WI cuz they thought they'd get more attention by being a Bay Area/California band. Warped Tour, too. Them and Suicidal Tendencies. Side 1 Dummy Records can eat a motherfucking dick.

Hoya looks like a fat old Dominican mama. His pal looks like a typical shavenheaded lout/DMS nutrider complete with flatbrim cap and oversized clothes.

Nice forehead tattoo, Lars LOL. When did you ever play a real hardcore show outside of one at ABC No Rio in '91 or some shit? Fronter. I do love the chick he's posing with. Cute girl.

Look at Skam Dust with his stupid "I have no idea who these people are" look on this face. Where'd you come from and I would love to see Harley Flanagan smack up you and your pal Lord Ezec separately and together.

A wannabe vato and a bloated mohawk bonding awwwww...PBBBTTTT!!!

BNB's shameless promotion. Who's next year's big band to save your ass, Good Charlotte? Suicidal Tendencies? Flag?

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 3:22 PM

Hey BNB why don't you take your bowl to Long Long Island along with your radio show? NYC would be better off.

Don't EVER complain or talk shit about hipsters again when your moved your bowl to Hipster Ground Zero (Williamsburg, Brooklyn.)

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 3:27 PM

Hey 3:22pm don't quit your day job. Typical Wikiwiseass.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 3:29 PM

hahahahahah D is back and just as sad as ever. god bless you, you angry little man.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 3:33 PM

^ Sad as ever? HAHAHAHAHA. Try AMUSED as ever. The only sad sack is you cuz ^^^^^ is all you got.

I'm amused that people still buy into this BNB Baloney, flock to it like flies to shit which is what their bowl is.

Every year since 2011 it's a new angle, gimmick, way to draw people. I GUARANTEE Suicidal Tendencies will play next year's. Unless they throw a complete curveball and book Integrity.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 3:40 PM

"Every year since 2011 it's a new angle, gimmick, way to draw people.Every year since 2011 it's a new angle, gimmick, way to draw people."

D, to be fair, that's true of pretty much the entirety of show business. You might go as far to say that IS show business.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 3:44 PM

Now the mods are moderating comments haha.

3:44pm hardcore is not "show business" even though BNB thinks it is.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 3:57 PM

^if they're selling tickets, or charging admission, make no mistake, it's show business.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2014 4:14 PM

^ No it's called paying people for the service they provide and the cost of it.

If it's "show business" to you you never got it, don't get it, and never will get it.

I do admire your attempt to troll me however feeble.

Posted by D | May 27, 2014 5:29 PM

"The only thing that will save Black n Blue next year would be a case of letting bygones be bygones with Integrity and Slapshot."

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 3, 2014 3:32 PM

Integrity will never get booked in nyc, and there was closer to 33 people there on Sunday, and 50 by the time discharge went on. Don't get it twisted. The only smart thing written in this thread is that discharge has been irrelevant for 3 decades, they were influential to some of the worst bands in the history of punk(d-beat and crust bands).

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2014 1:24 PM