Posted in music on May 1, 2014

Warpaint in Austin in April (more by Tim Griffin)
Warpaint

In a recent interview with Q, Theresa Wayman of Warpaint said some pretty negative things about Beyonce and Rihanna...

"She [Rihanna] has an insane voice, she could've done something so much more stuble and artful," suggests the Warpaint's Theresa Wayman, who also was dismayed by Beyonce's recent adoption of twerking.

"It just gets worse," she adds. "Every song on Beyonce's last album has her basically looking like a slut and she does not need to do that. She's gorgeous and so fucking talented. And they all take it as women's liberation!"

Since then, she has taken to Facebook to apologize and explain. Theresa's note begins:
First and foremost, I want to apologize with regards to the Q article. There were many long conversations behind that statement and it's heartbreaking and painful to see it presented in such a hyperbolic and crude manner. We LOVE and ADORE Beyonce and Rihanna, genuinely, and that's what makes this all the more difficult.

A journalist came on our bus and casually asked us what we thought about women in music and we responded as fans and consumers and not as card carrying feminists. Not as anybody with power or influence either. We're not trying to start a war, no fucking way. We would be crushed like little lady flies.

Read the full letter below.

Beyonce recently announced a tour with Jay Z and the expensive ticket presale is underway.

That tour hits the NYC-area at MetLife Stadium where Rihanna also plays on her tour with Eminem.

Warpaint headlines a free Celebrate Brooklyn show in Prospect Park on June 26.

Read Theresa's full letter, plus a couple videos, below...

Warpaint - "Disco/Very" - "Keep It Healthy" Official Video

Beyonce - "Drunk In Love" Official Video

As we all know these days, sound bites and quotes are chosen not by their merit but by the level of sensationalism and that's exactly what happened here. Beyonce and Rihanna are the last two women on earth who I would ever want to disrespect or disregard. Ultimately I am a consumer too, and everybody expresses their opinions about the artistic climate they live in. What I was referring to, specifically, was my take on the video clip for "Superpower" where I felt her role in that clip undermined the song - which is one of my favorites. That's pretty much it. As a fan I was confused with her choice to sexualize herself in that particular moment. On the other hand "Drunk in Love", in my humble opinion, is so powerful in it's sexuality. I could watch that on a loop forever. Ultimately she can do whatever the fuck she wants. Anyone can. I'm a fan and like any other fan - I have my opinions which are no more or less important than anyone else's.

As far as Rihanna goes, if I had that voice I could die right now a happy woman. The journalist and I were discussing a hypothetical situation in which Rihanna was an artist active outside of the mainstream music scene. What would her music sound like? What would she wear? What decisions would she make? PURELY hypothetical.

There's not a shred of self-importance in these words. I'm not trying to cover my tracks but this is really upsetting to me. I apologize for being careless with my words. I apologize to fans of Beyonce and Rihanna, I fucking love them too. Me and and my big mouth.

Sorry,
Theresa

p.s. I never said shit about twerking...don't know how that got in there. By all means, twerk away.

Landon died when Warpaint blew Jabba the hut.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:07 AM

Michael Landon?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:12 AM

Do you think Leia actually did anything with Jabba?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:15 AM

Michael Landon travels the highway to heaven, helping those in need...

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:15 AM

The comments they made are valid. I think they mentioned huge commercial performers for a reason. Really did the Dum Dum Girls have to dress that way at Coachella? They are in the music business not the high fashion industry. Woman let your music speak for itself without resulting in hyper sexuality for shock value.

Posted by Carlos | May 1, 2014 9:16 AM

she's gotta twerk to pay for all that skin bleach and European hair. don't even get me started on the cost of nose jobs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:22 AM

Is Long Island considered "fly-over" country? How about Connecticut? Rye?

Posted by E.L. Fudge | May 1, 2014 9:23 AM

Just shut your fucking pie hole, twat.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:27 AM

Man. I thought the original quote was totally valid. Bummer that she tried to walk it back.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:34 AM

i would totally watch a rihanna sex tape if one ever surfaced. i'm sure she nasty.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:36 AM

I agree w/ what she said (although slut is kinda harsh). But this band is just bad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:46 AM

Warpaint's bass player is friggin hot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:47 AM

Kind of shameful she would retract what could have been a very relevant statement. Why? Because they were scared it might be bad for business or that they just are kind of full of shit. Either way, here is to more naked photos of Rhianna and more twerking by Beyonce - hey, she has a huge ass, what man or woman, wouldn't want a side order of that with their 'music'. Maybe Warpaint can sexualize themselves up a bit more now to make up for this half-assed attempt to make a meaningful statement - might win back some fans.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:52 AM

First of all, who gives a shit about garbage like Beyonce and Rihanna? Come on already with that crap. And yeah, the bass player in Warpaint is seriously slamming.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:17 AM

warpaint? who's that? a black metal band?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:18 AM

I agreed with her. Too bad she walked back.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:21 AM

Why are they only slutshaming black women?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:41 AM

Her initial comments were pretty spot on. That's a valid opinion to have, she should own it and back it up. Someone in management or PR at the label must've told her to apologize, afraid of losing crossover fans.

Apologies and backpedaling are way too common. I'm not sure what the point of interviews are anymore if everything is so censored and retractions are almost immediate.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:43 AM

Theresa was right the first time. Btw I have no problem with girls/ women/ bitches acting or dressing "slutty" - whatever that is. In this case it's just a marketing ploy to get attention and sell shit. Next time stand your ground. Fuck PCness.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:52 AM

someone post a link to the topless pics of the Warpaint chick

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:52 AM

So they don't play off their look, or what they perceive as their sex appeal or whatever? How come everyone in the band, past and present, has basically looked the same. There are no fat musicians, no musicians of color they are simpatico with?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:53 AM

The only English I could translate this whiner's statement to is "Pay attention to me!!!".

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:54 AM

This is too bad. Warpaint's album is actually very good. People should pay attention to the music more and we'd have better music being made (and less fashion bands).

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:20 AM

more offended by the apology... and drunk in love is a horrible unsexy song with horrible unsexy lyrics. i cannot remember the last song such that i have to run to the radio to change the channel every time it comes on. i can put up with a lot of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:42 AM

Beyonce and Rihanna are like, "who is Warpaint?"

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:44 AM

White people.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 11:59 AM

1017 First of all, who gives a shit about garbage like Warpaint? (what a dopey name)card carrying feminists? Hahahahahahahahahah!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 12:59 PM

Nothing in this world worse than the "public apology". How lame. If you said it, own it!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 1:11 PM

i've always guessed that leia didn't blow jabba, because she didn't really look THAT upset by the whole deal

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 1:16 PM

jay-z likely threatened to burn them with some jiggaliscious word play: "warpaint. whore's taint. whatchu white girls think u important? you aint."

9.2/10 pitchfork best new topical hip-hop diss

...but seriously, why else would they back off? did their moms criticize them for criticizing their new "faves"?

ps-i'm of the opinion leia wanted it, but couldn't find it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 9:21 PM

Great that a band with the name "Warpaint" is railing on some P.C. quest. War's totally cool but sex is just terrible. Good one, genius.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2014 10:30 PM

What is it? Were the comments made as merely fans and consumers or were they taken out of context? Sounds chock full of excuses to me...and I know it's not cool on BV but I've been a fan of Warpaint.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2014 12:43 AM

jenny lee, the "hot" bass player in warpaint has topless photos of her online...yeah, they don't sexualize at all! and she's the most touchy feely one in the band...always
hanging on everyone in warpaint photoshoots that they do ever week it seems like. that band does more photoshoots than deserved.

warpaint, rhianna and Beyoncé all are lame

Posted by anonknows | May 2, 2014 1:12 AM