Posted in music on June 11, 2014

Cassette

Cassette Store Day (because that's a thing now) returns this year on September 27:

Following on from last year's (unexpected) runaway success, the event will now be split between the US and UK/EU to ensure that audio cassette fans on both sides of the Atlantic get to snap up some great releases from musicians, new and old alike.

In the US, Burger Records in California will co-ordinate the day from their end and in the UK/EU Kissability and Suplex Cassettes will return to run things. Stores wishing to stock releases or put on an event will be able to sign up for free between June 30th and August 15th at cassettestoreday.com where there will be downloadable guides for how to get involved.

Labels wishing to release a cassette on the day can also sign up from June 30th - August 15th at the same place for a small admin fee of $10/£10. Anyone outside these territories is welcome to sign up using the UK site.

Burger Records said, "Burger Records loves tapes! We've built our foundation on the forgotten format and have been preaching the merits of warm analog cassette culture for years. We're honored to be ambassadors of Cassette Store Day 2014 in the good ol USA! We plan to bring some of our favorite labels to the table and invite everyone to the party and partake in the fun phenomena of releasing top shelf music on cassette tapes in pop culture today!"

Jen Long of Kissability said, "When planning this year we really tried to keep cassette labels and fans at the heart of the event. Last year grew far bigger than we had expected so we are thrilled to have Burger involved to help us cover the US side."

Stay tuned for details on events, participating labels, stores and more. Maybe Limp Bizkit will be involved.

Watch a video of kids trying to figure out what a walkman does below...

This is so dumb

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 5:52 PM

WTF is a cassette store?

Posted by Chris | June 11, 2014 6:02 PM

Any info on this for the East Bay, especially Berkeley? Amoeba had some great vinyl deals during Record Store day.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 6:18 PM

"We've built our foundation on the forgotten format and have been preaching the merits of warm analog cassette culture for years."

^ lol, holy shit! There's someone who actually said this with a straight face?!?

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 6:43 PM

I remember buying a eric clapton tape for the song "change the world" from that movie phenomena in a camelot back in 96 was the best shit ever ya feel me?

Posted by jimmy | June 11, 2014 6:57 PM

I love fast forwarding and rewinding to try to find the song I want to hear.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 9:16 PM

how is any dumber than vinyl? not that vinyl collectors aren't insufferable nerds. try-hards all around.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 9:49 PM

Vinyl is even stupider.

You can't walk, run, jog, bike, drive, or work out listening to a vinyl record - you can do all that listening to a cassette. I mean you could work out listening to a record but your workout better end before side 1 ends or you'll have to stop and flip over the record.

Cassettes are basically the same sound quality as vinyl and if it's less it's much better than CDs and certainly mp3s.

You can convert music from cassette to mp3 even easier than you can convert music from vinyl to mp3s as you can plug in a cassette player into your computer and boom - music in your computer able to be transferred into your mp3 player.

And that's just a few things.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 10:04 PM

^or you could just listen to shit on your phone like normal human being.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 10:11 PM

blah blah blah, as if people only listen to music while they're working out. Fuck off, 10:04. You do your thing (bitching about shit on the internet), and let other people do theirs. The existence of new factory cassettes in 2014 affects you in no way whatsoever.

9:49, you can fuck off, too. You're another one. "Oh, vinyl nerds, they're so ANNOYING! Their vinyl collections are really putting me out! I can't get a moment's peace with all the vinyl purchasing going on!" Eat a dick, haters.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 10:29 PM

^uh oh we pissed off the cassette community

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 10:36 PM

Hey 10:04, you should read the sleeve inside "New York" by Lou Reed. He says to listen to it all at once like a movie. Some of us like to listen to an entire album moron. 9:49, those of us who grew up without Daddy's wallet had to buy music on the cheapest available format as teens. Many of us found that used book stores had records you could by for a dollar. I hope a magnet gets close to your hard drives and erases all your Drake files.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 10:49 PM

^files? cloud nigga. get a clue old man.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2014 11:10 PM

lou reed is dead

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 12:22 AM

Hey dipshit 10:49pm

Fuck Lou Reed's "New York". He was yesterday's news by then.

I like to listen to an entire album, too, and check this "moron" - a cassette is a more portable, convenient way to do it. It's a full-length album, too.

I never said people listen to music only when they're working out, my point which you obviously missed was cassettes are high-quality recordings you can listen to while doing alot more things and in alot more places than if you played vinyl. Back in the day when I was out and went to a record store, I bought cassettes so I could listen to the music right away, sometimes. Of course I bought vinyl, too, but I always dubbed my vinyl onto cassette so I could take the music on the go and it also preserved my vinyl. Discmans were so heavy, clunky, and expensive Walkmans were the way to go.

Posted by D | June 12, 2014 5:50 AM

lol @ kids born in 1994 defending cassette tapes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 9:07 AM

Cassettes are super portable.

A cassette also warbles, degrades, and generally sounds like shit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 10:23 AM

There is a reason most people were more than happy when cassettes faded out. I don't mean a 20 year old hipster in 2014, I am talking about the people actually buying music back then.

Shitty and inconvenient format. That's it. Cassettes are in no way "basically the same sound quality as vinyl".

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 10:32 AM

I would pay serious $ to knock all of these asshats that go to this.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 11:34 AM

Can't understand why anyone would want to purchase a cassette or why a band would choose to release new music this way. The worst.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 1:16 PM

I just remember being a dumb shit kid taking all of the CDs I bought and transferring them to tape before I even listened to it. Basically I wanted to listen to the music in my car but it also sounded better to me on tape. I didn't give a shit about the politics of it all, it just came more naturally.

The vast majority of what I listen to now is on Spotify or iTunes/Soundcloud/BandCamp, but I wouldn't say it's my preferred format for hearing it the way I want to hear it. That would be vinyl or cassette. The others are just more convenient.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 1:23 PM

10:32am WRONG. A cassette is the same sound quality as vinyl minus the crackle of the vinyl, but let's say vinyl was superior to cassette. So what? That wasn't my point, my point which you missed is cassette is superior to cd, far superior to mp3s, and the best all-around format because you can play them anywhere (whereas you can't with a turntable.) You can transfer vinyl onto cassette, maybe even cd to cassette, cassette onto cd or mp3.

They're even cost-effective for bands, too, as you can put FAR MORE music on a cassette than you can on vinyl for alot less money than vinyl. Vinyl jackets alone cost more than a cassette if you want quality jackets. Vinyl is perfect for bands who a grand or more to spend on a release. Not everyone has a grand or more to spend on a physical release.

Posted by D | June 12, 2014 4:59 PM

Correction:

The mp3 is the most portable but worst sounding music format.

The cassette is the best portable music format.

Vinyl is the best but it is inconvenient. I can't listen to music at home only. I also can't just sit there and listen to a record all the time.

'Wanna fuck to record? Make sure you're done before the side is up haha. Or you could play a game where you try to last as long as the side is up, so that's a very cool thing about vinyl haha.

Posted by D | June 12, 2014 5:03 PM

^dumb as fuck right there

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2014 5:29 PM

Dear, Posted by D | June 12, 2014 4:59 PM

Vinyl is the most accurate representation of the audio spectrum. Period. Cassette does not provide "analog warmth" - one of the biggest reasons that the 80's sound is considered to be thin and light is because engineers typically mixed light in the bass range in the 70's because vinyl records could easily reproduce bass frequencies. When the 80's came around the engineers were mixing the same way, but since cassette tape could not produce bass the same way that vinyl could, everything had a super thin sound to it. Cassette is in no way a desirable format, it degrades over time and the frequency response is basically the same as a high quality mp3.
Also - WTF IS A CASSETTE STORE

Posted by Chris | June 12, 2014 10:10 PM

Chris -

Cassettes are merely dupes of vinyl. Both were made from the same TAPE, so back in the day records originated from TAPE. I will say cassettes made from DAT were lesser quality than cassettes from tape thus far lesser quality than vinyl.

You're yet another one who doesn't get my point that the cassette is the best sounding portable format and the second best format aesthetically. This isn't really about cassette vs. vinyl but you and the others can be little record nerds about it if you like, I only make you look dumber with every person who misses my point, you being the third.

Yes, vinyl is better than cassette, but cassette is better than cd and mp3 - I think that you, I, and others can agree on. And cassette is better than vinyl in terms of portability. More power to you if you listen to music only at home in front of your turntable. I like to listen to music mostly outside of the home an yes, I listen to music at home, on vinyl but not often. Alot of stuff I have is too old and precious for me to wear out the records.

What I did back in the day was buy the vinyl then dub it onto cassette so I had a copy of the music on the vinyl I could take AND play outside of my house. 'Cool thing about that was and still is it preserves vinyl and limits the handling of the record which makes it as mint as possible which is good when you want to resell stuff.

You obviously never heard Bad Brains ROIR tape and the best 1980s NYHC tape-only releases such as Cro-Mags The Age Of Quarrel demo, Breakdown and Raw Deal demos etc. Those recordings SMOKE the first Gorilla Biscuits or Sick Of It All 7"s. Hardcore punk bands put out the best independently released cassettes.

You also don't get that optimum quality doesn't necessarily mean anything to the average listener. You're a record nerd, an audiophile, I can tell by your language but you didn't get then, don't get now, and never will get that TAPE TRADING was vital in the '80s and to a lesser extent '70s and '90s underground. Most people didn't give a fuck that cassette was lesser quality than vinyl sonically. Vinyl was more expensive than tapes but blank cassettes were far cheaper than both.

Also cassettes are the closest to a live sound of ANY format when we talk about most independent bands who have put stuff on cassette only - what I call "demo bands".

As for 2014, again if you're a band with a limited budget but don't want to go the ultra-lame-o cdr or completely effortless, copout download only route the cassette is the way to go. It's far cheaper than putting out vinyl and much better than cd or mp3 sonically and aesthetically.

As for this "Cassette Day" I think it's a bunch of hipster nerds co-opting a format they never embraced until it was cool and it could make them money with this $10 fee for a record label to be part of this "day" bullshit and time they weren't part of. OH WAIT, that's the hipster in a nutshell. Celebrate what they never were part of and what they shit on in 2004 or a decade before they become culture co-opting shitheads whenever.

Posted by D | June 12, 2014 11:05 PM

Wow look at all the haters and dumasses on here going on about Vinly Vs Cassettes..A few years ago CD was king which I knew in 1996 CD's Sucked..But all the sheep kept paying the huge prices..Now New LPS cost a fortuane...Soon Cassettes will cost a fortune..Music business can kiss my ass..and these fucking nerds who know only what they are spoon fed...Whats next VHS making a comeback? Im still waiting on DAT

Posted by UPYOURS | June 21, 2014 2:05 AM