Posted in NYC on June 28, 2014

Lucky Cheng's in 1994 issue of 'NY Mag' (via Jeremiah's Vanishing New York)
Lucky Cheng'sLucky Cheng's

Jeremiah's Vanishing NY reports that Drag-themed club/restaurant Lucky Cheng's will close for good after tonight (6/28), coincidentally/appropriately during Pride Week. Originally opened in the East Village on First Ave in the space that formerly housed Club Baths, the first openly gay-owned bathhouse. With its servers in drag and "trans-Asian" menu, Cheng's was a huge hit in the '90s after Prince Albert of Monoco dined there in 1995.

After Sex & the City filmed their first-ever episode there, a whole new audience flocked to the space, and in 2011, Lucky Cheng's left the East Village for a fancy new Theatre District locale which opened in October 2012. Skyrocketting NYC rents and a decline in business were reasons given for the closure by an anonymous employee, though the death of owner Hayne Sutton earlier this month seems likely to be a factor.

RIP Lucky Cheng's.

^ With it's servers in drag

With its servers ...

Come on, BV!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 2:47 PM

All the places with flavor and grit are being replaced by chain stores and wanky cocktail lounges and sports bars with a dozen TV's.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 2:58 PM

"The east village, the lower east side (and most of Williamsburg) has become nothing but a large shopping mall.
The kids moving to NYC nowadays have zero idea what they missed and wander around staring at their iPhones dwelling in Facebook posts as they stroke their tiny dicks."

No shit. What you are saying has been said a hundred billion times by a hundred billion different people. NYC is over. What's the use in complaining? Money talks. Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bushwick, and now it's bleeding into Queens. Pissing and moaning about it won't stop the momentum, so get over it, move on, and accept it

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 3:07 PM

^ or start vandalizing condos, mugging rich folk, sabotaging trains, and try to scare em out. but the eye in the sky will probably get you

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 3:23 PM

It's also important to remember that ALL cities have this happen to them. In NYC, however, it tends to be more noticeable since it's on such a global scale. And while all the aforementioned neighborhoods have certainly changed over the last ten years, it's important to keep in mind the changes that took place in this city in the late 1800s as well as early part of the 1900s. Make sure to visit the Museum of the City of New York and/or the Lower East Side Tenement Museum to learn more. Knowledge is power, friends. And, while you're down on the LES, stop by Babycakes for some sweetass cupcakes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 3:34 PM

What is it with this assclown's fascination with "stroking tiny dicks"? Is this guy trying to subconsciously downplay is own below average manhood? Yes, I think it is a rather transparent diversionary tactic.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 3:53 PM

Is there anything funnier than the 'NYC is losing it's soul" crowd? They ALWAYS loose.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 4:00 PM

I personally find the "stroking tiny dicks" guy to be comical and would like to see it utilized in multiple threads if possible.

And as I type this, I'm watching some dudes at a cafe reading Facebook comments that will soon go home alone and stroke their tiny dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 4:21 PM

Whenever anyone starts in with 'flavor' or 'grit' you know they're full of shit.

NYC is losing it's soul roughly translates to: I'm getting old, and am not that successful.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 4:27 PM

^ and whenever somebody starts talking about "how successful" they are, they clearly spend most afternoons stroking their tiny dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 4:37 PM

"stroking tiny dicks" guy sounds like his life peaked around 1995.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 4:39 PM

^ It often sounds like people who choose to not entertain the concept of change. I've lived in the city since the late '90s, and I've witnessed an abundance of change in the EV. And while I don't always approve of it, it's just as much a part of NYC as everything else. Keep in mind, this city tore down the magnificent Penn Station. So every single time you bitch and complain about your favorite "dive bar" is now gone, you can think about what the city ended up loosing, and put that in your electronic pipe to smoke.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 5:00 PM

^I'm a step further than that. I hate complainers. Spend you're time pursuing things that you enjoy and make you happy. If you don't like what you perceive to be the changes in NYC, that's fine. Go find somewhere else to live that makes you happy. Unless "stroking tiny dicks" guy is working on a time machine, he's just another miserable loser running his mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 5:15 PM

It's pretty apparent that all the people who don't approve of what "stroking tiny dicks" guy has to say, clearly has a tiny dick that is often stroked.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 5:23 PM

Gosh people, finally, some actual solid & substantiated convo going on here. Sure, everyone who has posted above & hopefully below probably have tiny dick strokin's going on as they pecked away at their keyboard. Wait..where was I going with this...oh yeah..back to stroking my tiny dick or over sized clit..whichever you please.

Post Script:
I don't care what any one says about NYC, I've been here since '85 & have grown up all over the 5 boroughs. THIS PLACE IS STILL AWESOME !!!

Posted by Anonymoose | June 28, 2014 5:39 PM

This place hosted not ONE hardcore show. Good riddance.

Posted by Youknowwho | June 28, 2014 6:07 PM

I'm fairly lost in this discourse. Who exactly is this "stroking tiny dicks" person, and what does that title mean? He enjoys stroking his own tiny dick? The dick that belongs to someone else? She enjoys stroking them? Friends, please do tell. For the amount of time that has been spent on trolls, inquiring minds would like to know.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 6:36 PM

Lucky cheng's sucked. Bachelorette parties and shitty food and "whacky" waitresses. Who cares? So lame. I hope it becomes a T-Mobile store.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 6:53 PM

There's already a spot to pick up your shitty T-Mobile trinkets on St. Mark's. I'm hoping for an addition to David Chang's dessert empire. I need my Milk Bar Christina Tosi fix, yo.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 6:58 PM

^dude, but flavor and grit...and tiny dicks, and facebook....and....and... brunch!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 7:00 PM

You know what had flavor and grit? That new Grimes joint.

Can you imagine if she just gave that shizzz to RiRi? Whoa...

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 7:20 PM

The invisible hand of the free market hates us all in New York City!

I'm so envious of Jersey Republican! He's lifted himself up by his boot straps and refused to move out of his parents' house. If only I'd worked harder, and stayed home, and had a silver spoon, I wouldn't have to be so jealous of those who didn't have to work, and have everything they want.

Please give me more guidance, Jersey Republican, in the form of multiple posts, each written from the same perspective, agreeing with yourself. YOU are the way. YOU are the truth. YOUR tiny dick will teach us all.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 7:32 PM

^bro: www.gawker.com

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 7:36 PM

5:15 has great advice for all the mass murderers out there

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 8:34 PM

One thing a narcissist can't stand is being ignored

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 8:42 PM

Hayne was a cool person, very sad to hear about her passing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 9:12 PM

Grimes has more grit than all these Chengs put together.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2014 11:25 PM

7:32 sounds hella crazy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 12:38 AM

7:32 seems like one if those "believers" in Obama that fell for the progressive nonsense and "hope and change". Lol
In reality Obama did nothing but push further the situations started by Bush. Lol
Left wing democrats are truly the sillyest most ignorant people around... And this is not coming from a republican, but an independent.
And if anyone thinks I stroke a tiny dick, they are sadly mistaken. I have a 7.5 incher, and it's definitely the biggest your girlfriend ever had.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 1:31 AM

^ whoa! That's very unfortunate... Bereket had a decent hummus platter. (Granted not nearly as robust as the mighty Mamouns, but still good)

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 2:16 AM

Many a time have I stopped into Bereket for a late night phytonutrient refill. Always kept my hip thrusts crisp and vigorous for a full night of rocking on the LES. Unlike this Lucky Cheng's foolishness, you will truly be missed.

I don't do goodbyes, so let's just say 'falafel.'

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 8:11 AM

Lucky Cheng turned his back on hardcore.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 8:28 AM

NYC is ameeezang. So many ameeezang places for brunch and cocktails. Ameezang.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 9:39 AM

^you're done. go stroke your tiny dick at gawker, cicus freak.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 9:47 AM

NYC loves juice bars and FroYo and brunch, but it hates you!

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 9:52 AM

If your parents aren't worth millions, get out of NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 11:03 AM

I would like the foot fetishist's perspective on this.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 12:27 PM

I'm tributing over all of these comments on my screen, you fucking cum buckets

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 12:32 PM

Sometimes we would also want to learn about those things that we sure do need to know about certain things like that.

Posted by Marla Ahlgrimm | June 29, 2014 12:37 PM

I'll no longer serve Mr. Foot Fetish. Mr. Jersey Republican is the one true way.

"May your parents always be rich, and may your apartment forever be market value."

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 3:11 PM

4:27 - So you don't consider Patti Smith or David Byrne successful?

Also, when I see someone supporting an NYC filled with chains and "luxury" housing by saying the other side is old and unsuccessful... I think of Patrick Bateman. Or just a really boring white guy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 6:58 PM

^I mean c'mon. They're entertainers man. Entertainers play to the crowd.

Separate what a guy like David Byrne DOES versus what he SAYS.

And there we are.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 7:12 PM

Tiny D > Fake D

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 7:33 PM

7:12 Thank you. David Byrne, is a limousine liberal, total phony, who knows his audience, and will say what they want to hear.

He is saying one thing and doing another.

If he were a REAL radical, like say Peter Missing, who even though I don't agree with him; I could at least respect him on that level.

Fuck the David Byrnes of the world.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 8:00 PM

^ Hmmm. K. No. How about you go take your self-righteousness ignorance and go kiss the F Train, sweetheart.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 8:25 PM

^thought so. Guys like DB have one set of rules that apply to them, and another set of rules that apply to everyone else.

I guess the heart of rock and roll is in Cleveland, and the 'soul' of NYC is in a $3.875 million pent house in Chelsea.

L U L Z

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 8:30 PM

Not to mention that David Byrne likes to stroke his tiny dick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 8:46 PM

Awww, a Huey Lewis fan. 8:30PM, that's so adorable. Howzzz about I go all Patrick Bateman all over your sorry flyoverfuckingstate ass.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 10:46 PM

^ Fuck off Josh, before I call your mother and she cuts off your allowance. Fucking herb.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 10:50 PM

Madame Wong's > Lucky Cheng's

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 10:51 PM

Ok peoples, lets try to stay on track with what's going on here. Please continue to hate or love what is happening to NYC & leave your petty bickering on specific issues aside for another BV post.

& at the very least you can do, please stop strokin' it & put your tiny dick(s) away !!

Bunch of punk ass, mark bitches !! Internet gangstas!!

Posted by Anonymoose | June 29, 2014 11:26 PM

I said they were small, I didn't say they didn't work

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 11:40 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 11:46 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 11:46 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2014 11:51 PM

Which hummus guy? There are at least 3 different hummus guys. And that shtick is as fresh as week old bread now. No, hummus guy is not above Lee Ving.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 7:12 AM

STD. Stroking tiny dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 8:57 AM

I never went here, did I miss out on a NY institution?

If only I graduated HS one year earlier like I wanted to, then I would have been at NYU in time >:0

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 9:40 AM

LOL yeah, NYU makes you a New Yorker
SMH

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 10:25 AM

"that shtick is as fresh as week old bread now" Look out literary world - major player stepping up with serious metaphoric prowess.

Posted by brent hummusberger | June 30, 2014 10:26 AM

^ hummus guy #4

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 10:45 AM

The post city is great for talkative post city galz, but I'm a man baby. The post city is no place for a man, unless you love sweetcakez and pain in the ass broadz.

CITYFEST 2014 - DON'T BRING THE DESSERT!

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | June 30, 2014 11:16 AM

Oh, not this shit again. Go away.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 12:18 PM

Thinking about the actual person behind the foot fetish persona makes me really sad, to be honest.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 12:56 PM

"Market rate apartments are great, if you like saxophones."

-Jersey Republican

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 1:10 PM

CityFest 2014 will cheer you up Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 12:56 PM.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | June 30, 2014 1:19 PM

Foot Fetish / Fake D / Grammar Fag / Mr. "Jersey Republican" / Buckeye Shrimper / etc. etc.

This guy seriously got no attention growing up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 1:34 PM

12:56 I kind of hope he is a paraplegic or something.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 1:34 PM

When Mr. Jersey Republican sees a host of enemies, he imagines them to be all one, so he can focus he battles thusly.

"Only one opinion counts, as long as you scream it."

Posted by DISCIPLE | June 30, 2014 1:46 PM

^ foot fetish

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 1:48 PM

Mr. Foot Fetish is the enemy. I serve you and only you, Jersey Republican.

"The air conditioning is running high in My Parents' House today."

Posted by DISCIPLE | June 30, 2014 1:56 PM

Whoever you're referencing/beefing with, i'm not that guy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 2:02 PM

You are saying that someone who feels the need to hide behind multiple internet personalities would be arguing with an actual person? Personally, I think he often has long, animated conversations with imaginary objects. That seems to me to better fit with his pathology.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 2:08 PM

lolol

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 2:10 PM

He's the same guy who got his panties all in a bunch over Tom Gabel not being recognized as Laura Jane Grace now that he has *decided* that he's really female? This guy, I'm sure he never gets confused about who he is talking with.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 2:16 PM

If there's one thing a narcissist really hates it's being ignored.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 2:25 PM

Max Horwich (wesleyan alum, gay) > Hummus Guy > Lee Ving > Gene Simmons > 2014 era Thurston > Patrick Stickles > D > Grimes > David Byrne > Mayor Big Bird > Adolf Hitler > Crazy Eyes Lefty > Fake D / Foot Fetish / etc.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 2:42 PM

Are any BV commenters older than 15?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 3:06 PM

I'm hiring some of the Lucky Cheng's to help out with CityFest 2014. They have pizazz!

The post city has the worst waitstaff in history. A bunch of dirty hooples and mixologists lacking authentiCITY.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | June 30, 2014 3:07 PM

^ not funny.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 3:18 PM

"Soon, your favorite business will be juice bar too. It's destiny, as driven by the invisible hand of the free market."

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 3:25 PM

i remember the time i walked into lucky cheng's with a bit of a buzz and flirted with a girl there who i really thought was a girl. smoking hot. she asked me to meet her in the bathroom. we played around a little in the basement bathroom (no insertion, just manual), and it was pretty fun!

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 3:25 PM

Still trying to figure out if I missed out on a NYC institution, and if so, what other ones I can check out.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2014 3:26 PM