Posted in comedy | music on June 6, 2014

Chris Gethard

Don Giovanni signed comedian Chris Gethard made a pilot of his show for Comedy Central, but sadly the channel decided to pass on a full series, as Chris pointed out on his Tumblr in May:

I got word about ten days ago that Comedy Central was going into high gear deciding if they wanted to air TCGS. This past weekend, I was in a sandwich shop in Toronto when I got a tough call - after much debate, Comedy Central have decided that TCGS is not for them.

Obviously this is a huge bummer, and there are a lot of feelings to sort out here. I'm sad it won't be going down. I feel like I let my friends down. I'm definitely a bit shell-shocked - it's been a crazy six months and I was pretty convinced for a moment there that it might actually happen.

Most of all though, I feel grateful.

Read the rest at his Tumblr, though he notes: "I still feel in my gut like we are going to find a new home."

Meanwhile, continue to watch new and old episodes on his website (Lemuria was his last musical guest), and go out and catch Chris live (at bigger and bigger venues). Tickets are now on sale for a 7/15 "Chris Gethard and Friends: show at NYC's Highline Ballroom, a pretty big room, but he can handle it.

Chris also plays the Slipper Room in NYC this Tuesday (6/10) at part of SWEET before opening some shows for his friend Mike Birbiglia including one in Atlantic City on 6/14. He also appears at an upcoming Night Train at Littlefield, at UCB for the upcoming Del Close Marathon, and at this year's Outside Lands festival. All dates are listed along with the last episode of the show (with Lemuria) below...

TCGS #129 - How Would You Fight Me? w/ Lemuria

Chris Gethard -- 2014 Tour Dates
06/10/14 Chris Gethard Solo NYC SWEET at The Slipper Room
06/11/14 The Chris Gethard Show New York, NY MNN Studios
06/14/14 Chris Gethard opening for Mike Birbiglia! Atlantic City The Borgata
06/16/14 Chris Gethard Solo Brooklyn NIGHT TRAIN at Littlefield
06/18/14 The Chris Gethard Show New York, NY MNN Studios
06/25/14 The Chris Gethard Show New York, NY MNN Studios
06/27/14 The Chris Gethard Show NYC DEL CLOSE MARATHON
06/28/14 Sagher and Gethard NYC DEL CLOSE MARATHON
07/15/14 CHRIS GETHARD AND FRIENDS NYC Highline Ballroom
07/17/14 Chris Gethard opening for Mike Birbiglia! Newport, RI Newport Yachting Center
07/19/14 Chris Gethard opening for Mike Birbiglia! Hyannis, MA Cape Cod Melody Tent
07/20/14 Chris Gethard opening for Mike Birbiglia! Hampton Beach, NH Hampton Beach Ballroom
08/08/14 The Chris Gethard Show San Francisco OUTSIDE LANDS FESTIVAL
11/17/14 Chris Gethard Solo Washington, DC, DC The Kennedy Center

Hey Chris, America already has their full allotment of annoying, smarmy, white hipster comedy with Portlandia and Whitest Kids U Know. That said try IFC - you should fit right in.

Posted by D | June 6, 2014 2:16 PM

Sorry dude. Comedy Central sucks anyway, definitely something better coming up on the horizon.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 3:05 PM

Hey 2:16 - thank you for the constructive criticism. Nothing does more good for the world than anonymous internet commentary. Also, thank you for pointing out that I am smarmy and white via a smarmy comment, and also my guess is you are white.

Also, Fred Armisen is half Venezuelan and a quarter Japanese, so I'm not sure if he qualifies as smarmy white hipster comedy.

And Whitest Kids' final season aired in 2011, so I don't know if they are currently filling America's desire for smarmy white hipster comedy.

It seems like you were wrong about everything.

That felt good.

Also, the show at the Highline Ballroom is gonna be fucking fun - anyone who wants should come by can grab tickets at

It's gonna be fun and I hope you'll come!

Sincerely -

Chris G

Posted by Gethard | June 6, 2014 4:01 PM

Although an easy way to mainstream audiences, Comedy Central has become annoyingly ordinary and unfunny. I'd much rather watch your show as-is on Youtube than a commercialized CC version of it. IFC or HBO would probably be a much better fit, but you'll need a step in between before you get there. I might be wrong, but your show is COOL dude, so just hold on until karma comes back around (and it will).

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 4:25 PM

Chris, don't fret. Comedy Central apparently needs more room in the schedule for the 400th airing of European Vacation to actually air a quality product.

You'll find a home for the show that will far surpass CC.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 4:51 PM

Chris you're a great fruit!

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 5:09 PM

4:25 thanks for taking time out from reading Tom Scharpling's tweets to write that.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 5:13 PM

I saw him host a show at Whiplash two years ago. Embarrassing. Although it seemed like Joe Mande put up a good fight for that title that night. Thank God Colin Quinn was there to wreck these alt jerkoffs. And yes, I think vying for a CC audience is a bit misguided, considering your fanbase is "too hip for the room" twinks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 6:10 PM

HAHAHAHA Chris Gethard himself has replied to me, D. I've finally made it! Unless Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam really replied to me when I tore him a new one for complaining about "the 1%" at PJ's show at BARCLAYS CENTER which is as 1% as it's gonna get (besides that BC was built with non-union labor in true 1% fashion.)

I could care less what ethnicity Fred Armisen the biggest hardcore punk scene rooted putz to ever blow up famous (second Dave Grohl) is. His show definitely qualifies as smarmy white hipster comedy because he caters/panders to smarmy white hipsters. The comedy is rooted in white hipster culture. Reggie Watts a black man does the same thing. Fred's show is so white i.e. lacking of cultural/racial/ethnic diversity it's ridiculous. One would think Portland had no non-white people from watching Portlandia It's Friends or Seinfeld for Hipsters in that both shows had little to no non-white people.

Second, you are wrong about everything. The name alone "Whitest Kids You Know". As opposed to the "Blackest Kids You Know"? So not only is it some ridiculous self-deprecating bullshit cuz they're so white, they're the "Whitest Kids You Know", like that's good or bad or what (???) they're racist also. And they've been smarmy white hipster comedy since 2011.

Last I am white and thanks for proving my point that you are part of that whole whites only culture only because you want to know if I'm white like you, in a roundabout way to ask. Actually, it's pretty presumptous. I mean, I am white yes, but it's curious that you think/guess/assume I'm white as if a non-white couldn't call you/your comedy/Portlandia/WKYK smarmy. 'Guess only white people can be smarmy and detect smarmiess huh? Thanks!

BTW why are you so bent out of shape over my comment? Truth hurts I guess. BTW let me know when your pals at SNL, IFC, and CC have a comedy show that isn't made up of and doesn't cater/pander to hipster dorks.

Posted by D | June 6, 2014 6:37 PM

My god we have found he one person less funny than Armisen, and his name is Chris Gethard. This guys is real nerd's nerd. Barf.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:01 PM

Woah D IS back, welcome back.

Dude cc wishes to cater to hipster dorks. Instead it's rooted in the white middle class mainstream. My fat, middle aged co_workers from nj watch cc (and love it). You won't believe the most mundane jokes they quote which are painfully unfunny.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:03 PM

I've never heard of this Chris Gethard guy, but he really comes off like a guy who needs to be punched in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:06 PM

^ nah, fake D and Mr Ferret Face are both quantum leaps less funny than both of them

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:06 PM

I watched five minutes of the video. Comedy Central mad the right choice.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:08 PM

D > pudgy beta male dork 'comedian'

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:09 PM

My neighbor's retard daughter > D

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 7:16 PM

'Blasting HL&TN all night in honor of fake(?) D. Welcome home, buddy. You were missed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 6, 2014 8:33 PM

Good 7:06pm Tell me about it. The REAL funny thing is Chris Gethard is the second famous to whatever degree person who has replied to me in BV comments. The first one was Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam. Basically what happened was I ran across an entry about Pearl Jam namely Eddie calling out "the 1%" i.e. the ultra-rich 1% who control most of the wealth in the United States from the Barclays Center stage. I called him a hypocrite because Barclays is part of the 1% and the arena was built with non-union labor, and Eddie got all bent out of shape over it enough to get into it with me. It had to be him cuz he was talking about the inner workings of the arena e.g. workers being paid overtime etc. and what fake EV would do that? I will say I think it's cool Pearl Jam has kept writing new music and playing it live unlike alot of bands who milk their back catalog for all its worth, and at least Eddie is saying something. I just think he has to stop biting the hand that feeds him. You can't rail against the 1% when you play arenas owned or in Barclays Center's case named after 1% companies.

Bad 7:06pm has no sense of humor.

7:16pm molests retarded women.

8:33pm Thanks!

Posted by D | June 7, 2014 11:28 AM

Pretentius mother fucker

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2014 11:42 AM

This fake D is a lot less entertaining than the original. He tries so hard, but end up pretty boring, really.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2014 11:49 AM

Fake D is so excited and happy. It's kinda cute if you block out the rest of the shit he's typing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2014 11:54 AM

Sure this D is real. And Tom Gabel really is a woman, and that dude in Oregon that wanted to marry his computer is totally normal.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2014 12:25 PM

And yet 11:49am replies to me. If I'm "pretty boring" why reply?

It's kind of pathetic that you read everything I write considering you are so "bored" with it and thinks it's "shit" which makes you the real boring pile of BV comments shit.

Yeah I'm so boring that's why people mention me in comments I don't post in and occasionally post as me. They even post with single letter usernames in response to me.

Eddie Vedder and now Chris Gethard replied to me - and you are??? A dickhead who goes on about how I'm "Fake D".

It's kind of sad actually, no, PATHETIC you have rambled on with your "Fake D" nonsense for days now. No one believes you except the fake people you pose as.

Go outside like I did and will do again.

Posted by D | June 7, 2014 3:20 PM

This fake D makes a lot of assumptions. But makes sense since he's an ass to u and me.

He probably thinks i'm talking to him now too. Poor little try-too-hard. Sad, really.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2014 3:38 PM

Speak for yourself jagoff.

Posted by D | June 7, 2014 7:48 PM

See what I mean, kids? Poor schmuck.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2014 9:08 PM

^ No-life herb.

Posted by D | June 7, 2014 11:18 PM

^ nice hyphen. yet one more thing the actual D would never do.

it's ok to admit that you need help, we all need help sometimes. if you can't live in reality you should get help. reality > fantasyland

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2014 9:58 AM

Fake D is still more amusing than Chris Gethard

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2014 11:03 AM

Whatever, herb.

Posted by Peaches | June 8, 2014 12:13 PM

Hey idiot insisting it isn't me it is me, deal with it.

'Love how you dog me at every turn, now you're using words I use (herb.)

The well has run dry and your fifteen minutes as the newest D-Rider are up.

Posted by D | June 8, 2014 12:44 PM

D never insisted he was who he was. D doesn't give a fuck. Seems like all this clown does is insist that he's really D. Methinks the lady protests too much.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2014 3:06 PM

I'm not insisting I'm who I am.

You are going on and on and on in multiple comment sections about how I'm not who I am thinking if you run your mouth enough people will believe you when in fact they don't.

Get a fucking life.

Posted by D | June 8, 2014 5:41 PM

I don't know who this D or Fake D person is, but he's clearly angry. I can't say that I understand why he is so angry.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2014 8:01 PM

^ you haven't been paying attention. He's mad that this comedian turned his back on hardcore.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2014 8:37 PM

Thanks 8:37, but isn't "turning your back on hardcore" called "growing up" to normal people?

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2014 9:19 PM

8:37pm Wrong. Not angry at all. Get some new material.

8:37pm = 9:19pm. Now he's talking to himself.

Posted by D | June 8, 2014 10:54 PM

Fake D flapping those yams, whomp whomp whomp like Charlie Brown's teacher

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2014 2:32 PM

^ No-life dickhead posting the same comment across three comments sections. Get some new material.

Posted by D | June 10, 2014 12:16 AM