Posted in music | tour dates on July 31, 2014

By Ian Chainey

Anvil
anvil

Famously down-on-their-luck Canadian heavy metallers Anvil will be playing select dates in October. The band featured in the feel-good redemption documentary Anvil: The Story Of Anvil -- I'm not crying, my computer is dusty -- have three shows lined up: two in Canada and one at NYC's the Bowery Electric on October 19. There they'll be joined by Lords of Mercy, Sweet Magma, and Danse De Sade. Tickets are available now. All three of Anvil's dates appear below.

Metal Pistol
IMAGE

Speaking of bands that could use a boost, the Bowery Electric has quite theĀ eclectic calendar of upcoming shows. One band that stands out is Metal Pistol, who are playing a few dates in around NYC in the coming months, including Bowery Electric on August 3. The drum-machine aided trio categorize themselves as "hard rock/metal" which is accurate, but doesn't really come close to capturing their oddball magnificence. However, I'm going to try using the multitude of examples at my disposal. Ready?

Example 1: They're named Metal Pistol.

Example 2: Vocalist Sunny Lee also wields a keytar.

Example 3: The picture above.

Example 4: Per their Facebook bio, "Singer-song writer Sunny Lee forges driving acidic melodic lyrics over the heavy metal thunder of Steven Stanley's magnum force." Sure.

Example 5: Guitarist Steven Stanley has one mode: Steve "Magnum Force" Vai.

Example 6: They've been confusingly booked with death metal bands.

Example 7: Just check out their "performance video live" below. Your initial reaction is a raised brow. However, after a bit, it kind of charms the hell out of you. Seriously. I don't know, there's just something about those acidic melodic lyrics.

All of the dates are listed, along with a live video of Anvil and Metal Pistol's performance video appear below.

Anvil -- Upcoming 2014 Shows
Oct 4 - Rockpile East - Toronto, Canada
Oct 11 - Eastside Bar & Grill - London, Cananda
Oct 19 - The Bowery Electric - New York, NY

Metal Pistol -- Upcoming 2014 Shows
Aug 3 - The Bowery Electric - New York, NY
Sep 19 - Heavy Fest at Lit Lounge - New York, NY
Oct 3 - Connolly's - New York, NY
Dec 12 - Alphabet Lounge - New York, NY

Always loved the "heavy metal fanny pack"

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2014 10:33 AM

I don't know why but I find Metal Pistols very funny and cute although they play metal.

Posted by jdeg | July 31, 2014 10:52 AM

Metal Pistol is awful.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2014 3:08 PM

my next band is going to be called heavy metal fanny pack

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2014 4:10 PM

Anvil wins. Forever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2014 12:13 AM

Metal Pistol is a great band, wow...saw them live and they really blew me away. glad to see they're getting more recognition. one of the most original bands i've heard in a long time!!

Posted by kaley | August 2, 2014 10:05 PM

Seriously?

Please guys, he reason no one who is anyone wants to label or manage you is because it does not work. Crap lyrics, crap songs, crap vocals. There is no hook, no presentation. Anvil: nice try but stop trying. Today.

And Metal Pistol? Really? Stick to garages and hope the neighbours don't call 9/11.

Posted by EMI | August 24, 2014 11:17 AM

EMI, you are obviously filled with jealousy, anger and hate. Don't hate, it's not good for you. The whole band feels sorry for people like you who distort reality and live with their mind in the gutter. We will light a candle for your soul.

Posted by Metal Pistol | September 20, 2014 3:17 PM

I'd like to thank all my fans for coming out to the Lit lounge last night and many thanks to our new management company who also came to hear and support us. If you didn't make it to the show, eat your heart out guys, you missed a great show. Come see us at Connolly's on the Oct 3rd at 11pm. NYC we love you and thank you for the incredible support.

Posted by Sunny | September 20, 2014 3:26 PM

Look Joe, just because my band doesn't want to keep paying you money for nothing doesn't mean you have to spread vicious slanderous lies about us. No wonder you have so many law suits pending. Ego driven narcissists like you have really hurt the music industry. I notified my music attorney, Gene, as to your underhanded terror tactics.

Posted by Steven | September 20, 2014 7:50 PM