Posted in music | pictures on July 11, 2014

photos by Mimi Hong; words by Klaus Kinski

Gorilla Biscuits / Bouncing Souls / Turnstile @ HoV 7/10/2014
Bouncing Souls
Turnstile

On Thursday (7/10), The House of Vans became the foggiest and most humid locale on earth as they welcomed the Gorilla Biscuits, the Bouncing Souls, and Turnstile to their fourth free bash of the 2014 summer season. The show was very free and the RSVP list was so overbooked that the line to get in stretched from the venue to somewhere in Staten Island, leaving scores of people to be turned away at the door. It blows my mind that in this city and in this day and age I was able to see two of the most legendary hardcore/post-punk bands and double fist decent beer the entire time without ever opening my wallet (except to tip, of course). But that's what House of Vans does, and for that I am forever grateful.

I haven't been to a House of Vans show since the very first summer they started doing them, so I couldn't remember how soon the bands started playing after their 7:00pm doors. Therefore, by the time I got checked in, into the venue, and acquired my first coupla beers, the opener Turnstile had already finished their set. Did you see them? How were they? Pictures of their set -- and all the bands (our photographer was on time) -- are in this post.

The Bouncing Souls, who are currently celebrating their 25th anniversary, took the stage next at about 8:30 PM, and by this point the room was absolutely cram-packed and a sweltering, hot, foggy, humid mess. I've been into the Bouncing Souls since about 1995 but they are one of those bands whose albums I never really listen to in my spare time because it's nothing compared to the live show. I know that sounds stupid, but whatever. They tore through what felt like a somewhat extended setlist that had the crowd in a frenzy. Almost everyone in the room knew the words to all the songs so there was plenty of crowd participation, fist-pumping, and bro-y fellowship. Pits these days are simply pedestrian compared to how they used to be, but last night things definitely got a little bonkers throughout the Souls' set which was pretty awesome. Good to see people still have it in them to pummel the shit out of each other now and then in the name of hardcore.

Many, many, many, many beers and about an additional 20 degrees later, it was time for my main reason for being there: NYHC legends the Gorilla Biscuits. I got into the Biscuits in about 1993, but by that point they had since disbanded. My first attempt to see them live was when CBGB was about to close its doors for good. I waited in line for several hours, got completely drenched during what felt like a passing hurricane, yet never ended up getting into the show. I FINALLY had my chance to see them when they played BB Kings on September 2, 2006 and that show was so insane and kicked so much ass that I almost threw up. So last night was only my second time seeing them, and holy shitballs did they deliver. Their discography isn't that huge, so it's safe to say that they practically played everything last night (setlist below). "High Hopes," "No Reason Why," "Hold Your Ground," and "Start Today" were among the gems they unleashed on us. They even played a blistering rendition of "Do Something" which is from frontman Civ's other band Civ. A highlight of the evening for many people (except for me because shit like this doesn't really impress me) was when the Biscuits were joined by Judge frontman Mike Judge for a fantastic rendition of "New York Crew" (videos of that are below). Sick of it All front man Lou Koeller was seen watching the show from the audience and I hoped he'd hop up there for a song as well, but that didn't happen. The Gorilla Biscuits sounded absolutely incredible and I really think the world would be a better place if they took the time to tour a little more often. It really is a sight to behold.

And another takeaway from the evening is that, quite simply, Walter Schreifels is the man. I am speaking very generally here, but a lot of these old school hardcore guys never outgrew their safety-in-numbers, goonish, thuggish, and macho "crew" tough-guy ape mentality. And as they get older, it just looks so pathetic to me. After the Biscuits, Walter went on to amass a really eclectic CV of musical projects; from the post-hardcore icons Quicksand, to the more Brit-rock influenced Walking Concert, to his solo works, to post-hardcore outfit Rival Schools... the dude grew up, branched out. To see him step back into his hardcore roots, with his long hair and his lack of (visible) tattoos, and absolutely own it... that rules man.

More pictures from last night's mayhem, plus video and Gorilla Biscuits' setlist, below...

Bouncing Souls

Sitting 'round at Home
Hold Your Ground
Two Sides
Slut
Time Flies
Do Something (CIV)
Good Guys (Don't Wear White) (The Standells)
Competition
Cats and Dogs
Glue
Start Today

great show

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 5:13 PM

That was a great review.

I was in line at 5:45 and at 7:00 PM Vans people showed up and announced it was at capacity?!! Later found out that there is another line on the other side of the venue and all the bands that played combined had like 300 people on their guest list - smart.

But, I totally agree with you 100% regarding Walter, he is the fucking man.

Never going to try and get into that stupid shit again. Unless you're jobless and in line at 3-4PM, you're not getting in.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 5:32 PM

You're totally right about Walter, he's his own dude.

Tattoos are for jocks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 5:35 PM

I got on line at 5:30, got in with no issue by 7:30.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 5:50 PM

Not saying it would've worked last night but sometimes you can walk right into HOV hassle free after the first or send band has played.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 5:56 PM

get bent

Posted by blayne | July 11, 2014 5:58 PM

2005-2014 means GB has been a band longer now than they were the first time. Weird, huh?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 6:22 PM

More than Walter Janis Chakars is the man in hardcore. Hell he has band named after him in his homeland!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 6:26 PM

Fractured my ankle at this to GB. Great show other than that.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 6:57 PM

GB hasn't been a real band since 1991 when they sucked dick. Supertouch blew them off the stage at GB's then "last show" in early '92 which was also the most expensive non-superbowl show cuz GB was, is, and always will be about the money.

I love all you GB dickriders who make them out to be hardcore gods when they are not. Fuck them. They put out a so-so demo then exactly THREE records, and only one record after '89 (a lousy two-song 7" they made so limited it's going for big bucks on Ebay - ever heard of iTunes you dicks?) That's a "band" that's been around 2005-14 alright LOL.

On the surface it looks like they played this show for free and it's not about the money to them, right? WRONG. They'd have never played this show if the money wasn't right, don't ever think this band actually cares about the hardcore scene. They care about the hardcore green. This band will never, ever play a small NYC club for an entire weekend with current, active hardcore bands cuz it's not worth it to them financially. They should stop singing New Direction since that song is exactly about them and namely Walter who definitely sang coded messages to slowed down songs.

And that brings me to Walter. He's a phone. He does GB to make up for the lack of money he makes at all his crappy post-Quicksand bands and guess what? Quicksand wasn't all that either. Good 7", half good half bad first full-length, lackluster followup. Jane's Addiction vocals, Fugazi song structures, totally unoriginal. Quicksand had maybe eight good songs and three of them were on the 7" (everything save the wack horn song.)

These House Of Vans shows are a bunch of bullshit re: the admission process. Real simple: have two shows for bands as big as GB (cuz I'll admit they are big) and first come first served, fuck this RSVP bullshit. And stop with the free beer nonsense. It's about the music, not the beer, ok?

Posted by D | July 11, 2014 10:01 PM

Don't ever think GB is all about playing for the joy of playing which to me is what real bands play for money made or not. If GB isn't not making their money, it isn't happening, and who are they to have that attitude when yes, Sick Of It All plays for money. 'Thing is SOIA doesn't have this air of "pay us" like GB does and always had going back to that then last show in '92.

And for anyone who wants to run shit about how I don't think they care about the hardcore scene, hey, they sing about it in every other song so I can say that. Ask them why they are all fortysomethings singing about the scene.

Posted by D | July 11, 2014 10:06 PM

*Walter is a phonY. He could also be a phone as he phones it in.

Posted by D | July 11, 2014 10:07 PM

Steamed sausage

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:18 PM

BV!

Come on .. Charlie Haden passed away today and you have nothing?! Too busy with the latest on Speedy Oritz, Beyonce or Perfect Pussy? We're talking about one of the most iconic American musicians of the 20th century. His work with Ornette's Quartet will fuck you up ten ways from next week.

And ... zzz.

Nice. Going.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:28 PM

I just ate a foot long cheese steak sub
While I was on the toilet pooping

I feel like such a lousy human
Should I seek help?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:56 PM

I never really like gorilla biscuits
Civ always came off as a fag to me

There were also gay rumors back in the late 80s

Walter was always a look as well

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:59 PM

"On Thursday (7/24)", really?

Posted by ME | July 11, 2014 11:03 PM

10:28 wow, did not know this until now!
I'm so with you, this blog has changed into a metal / hiphop / american mainstream garbage dumpster.

Posted by ME | July 11, 2014 11:08 PM

^Yes, a garbage dumpster helped quickly along by stupid, inane and clueless comments from the likes of posters such as "D" and "ME"

So thanks for all the help you moron

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 1:26 AM

I knew D would have strong opinions about this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 3:20 AM

Shit happe

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 4:07 AM

Move on.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 6:38 AM

This RSVP system is bullshit. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode -

Here is a simple idea. Either guarantee an admission to the venue with the RSVP or start selling tickets. I would rather pay than waste a chance of not getting into the venue. What's the point of having a RSVP and you can't get in - what is the point? Morons.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 9:53 AM

The point is for HOV to get your email address for marketing purposes.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 10:36 AM

"Someone needs to go back in his shed at his grandmothers house. Still bitter DMS kicked his ass."

Someone loves shirtless, sweaty, homoeroticism.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 12:12 PM

Someone also needs to get a life cuz he's posting about me at 6:38am on a Saturday.

DMS didn't kick my ass but let's say that they did. DMS = more than one person, which means if they kicked my ass, they ganged up on me which means they're pussies who can't fight one on one or they do until their boys jump in - see Harley Flanagan being jumped by DMS at the Cro-Mags show at Websteer Hall just over two years ago (you know, the one where DMS pulled knives on Harley and Harley shoved one of them or his own he was right to bring up two members of DMS's ass.)

Re: Admission into HOV shows. What they could do but won't because it's too easy is charge a $1 refundable credit card fee the buyer receives back in cash upon entry into the show.

Posted by D | July 12, 2014 1:12 PM

Bands and music should be free, but we need to pay for beer. Got it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 2:27 PM

Good to see the real D is back. Have you seen that phone that has been posting as you?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 2:44 PM

^ 'Don't need to see it. I know people post as me and others know it as well.

Posted by D | July 12, 2014 2:58 PM

The hummus guy > Mr foot fetish > D

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 3:42 PM

Amended:

Hummus guy > Foot fetish > Fake D > Real D

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 3:44 PM

When the fuck is CityFest already?

Posted by I am a rock and roller and I like to rock | July 12, 2014 4:13 PM

2:58 lol, dude thinks he's famous on a anonymous website; willing to bet he's single, mid-40s and makes $35k a year.

Yeah, dude...clearly winning in life.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 7:28 PM

^Thanks for pointing that out Capt. Obvious. Do you really think anyone in their right mind, besides another troll, thinks that "D' is worth any more than the spit on a sidewalk.

Only that piece of crap thinks he is famous or has some worth.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 8:04 PM

D faults a band for wanting to make a living. Fuck him.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 8:09 PM

Actually, fuck you.

I have nothing against a band making a living e.g. Sick Of It All. SOIA have busted their ass for well over two decades to make a living and I'm glad they have made one for years. Gorilla Biscuits? What have they done after Start Today came out a quarter of a century ago besides play a cash-in tour in 2006 including a lackluster two-song 7" they made artificially rare (not even iTuns) and play fests and other sponsored events like Vans for the highest dollar? Again don't think for a second this "free" show was truly free. They got paid whatever for it.

I have something against five phonies (GB) who pop up every couple of years to play shows for a quick cash in and pretend to care about the hardcore scene when all they care about is the hardcore green.

Posted by D | July 13, 2014 6:59 PM

I bet 7:29pm is asexual, in his mid-late 20s, and making less than $35K.

Try I got a girlfriend who'd put all your girlfriends to shame (well, save you 7:29pm since you don't like anyone man or woman), income well over double that amount, and I can beat the ever loving shit out of every single one of you who run their mouths about my age.

8:04pm obviously thinks I'm something more than spit on a sidewalk or he wouldn't be writing about me.

I never said I was famous, numbnuts, but it's safe to say I am the most well-known and imitated, talked about, and infamous BV poster. I do have worth. I draw no-life fuckheads like you into whining about me in comments like a hurt little bitch I trounced in a back and forth with in the past.

Posted by D | July 13, 2014 7:07 PM

What's up, D?

Posted by xTAINTx | July 13, 2014 7:46 PM

D = CT1v from livewire

Miss me old pale

With love Bart ....

Skip was a crack whore

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2014 7:54 PM

civ is gay dude was a total flamer onstage in the early
90s

Big hoop earrings , white tennis outfit , shaking his fat ass around stage
We all remember

Walter was and is a kook. I don't care how many nyhc records he has ghost written

Posted by E | July 13, 2014 7:58 PM

7:07 lives in his grandmothers basement in queens, works at the local a&p and trying to get his GED at 42.

Being talked about on a anonymous board is something he's proud of.

Hardcore man.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2014 9:00 PM

Lol - D is a livewire fan. Right on 7:54.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2014 9:03 PM

Was this show good? I was at a mall in NJ.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2014 9:07 PM

Read Idiot D's 7:07 rant and clearly see he showed 8:04's comment about him to be 100000% right on

Thank you, you fucking twit D for making it all so clear.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 12:14 AM

D = Bart from the Livewire

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 12:46 AM

I want to make it clear that I'm the infamous and world renounced Bart edge from the livewire message board

I'm not D . d was my arch enemy and I see he's up to his old tricks again

D = CT1v

I'm not him

I am the legend known as bartedge

now kneel ...

Posted by Bartedge | July 14, 2014 3:22 AM

Viva Bartedge! Going to make D's life a living hell.

This will be so entertaining.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:11 AM

Is that Ted Leo playing guitar at left in the photo?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:48 AM

"Is that Ted Leo playing guitar at left in the photo?"

You mean the bass player? That should be Smilios.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 2:02 PM

Arthur smilios needs to get a good meal

Poor guy looks like a god damn Ethiopian

Posted by Bart edge | July 14, 2014 2:54 PM

Bartedge = D, CTIV & 11:11pm

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 7:42 PM

^ Definitely. Now he's spinning it like he's replying to D.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 7:46 PM

It's Bart else why is he replying until now? Very sly Bart, very sly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 7:48 PM

Bartedge lives

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:07 PM

If you all are nice I'll tell you the story if bartedge and his history

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:12 PM

D= CT1V the tro from livewire records message board

Notice how he has gone into hiding

He used to say he wanted to fight me but is a pussy

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:14 PM

D = vagina face

Posted by Bartedge | July 14, 2014 9:18 PM

D & CTIV = Bartedge

From Bartedge to CTIV to "D".

Nutcase calling himself "vagina face"

You even have the toughguy persona calling someone a "pussy"

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:37 PM

D has revealed himself to be Bartedge and why not? It's not like anyone is gonna find out who is he is kick his ass

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:44 PM

I'm the real bartedge I've come out of retirement
To bless this message board

I will return to livewire

Posted by BE | July 14, 2014 9:44 PM

I'm the real deal...

I finally tracked down CT1V and he is posting here and causing trouble under the name D

Posted by Bartedge | July 14, 2014 9:46 PM

One day I will reveal myself to the jedi
One day I'll have my revenge

Posted by Bartedge | July 14, 2014 9:48 PM

Bartedge = christ

One day you will all pay for your sins

Posted by Bartedge | July 14, 2014 9:50 PM

Look at this fucking nut. A post every two minutes SMH. If you were who you were you wouldn't be so insistent. Everyone is on to your game, lame.

D is you are Bartedge is CTIV is D.

You're not returning to shit. What no one on here knows which I know is you have to join or rejoin the Livewiree via moderator approval which you, Bartedge/D/CTIV, will never get.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:54 PM

You've tracked down yourself lolcopter

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 9:54 PM

Monday night eddie ...

What more proof do you need

I'm back baby ...