Posted in music | pictures on July 11, 2014

photos by Gretchen Robinette, words by Andrew Sacher

Justin Timberlake

Justin Timberlake brought his massive ongoing tour in support of last year's The 20/20 Experience back to NYC last night (7/10) for his sixth show here since its release. While the past five shows were all in stadiums and arenas, last night's was at the significantly smaller Hammerstein Ballroom, making for a rare intimate show for the megastar. It was presented by MasterCard, and you needed a Citi / AAdvantage / MasterCard to get in.

Showing off his interest in classic pop, the show began with Frank Sinatra's "My Way" playing through the PA, but once JT hit the stage the mood shifted into the dark distorted pop of "Only When I Walk Away" with a laser light show and a sorta-trippy image of Justin's head blown up on the screen behind him. JT shifted moods like that plenty of other times throughout the night too which, with three very different albums, is inevitable but he and his ace 15-piece band actually made all those different sounds flow together really well. They segued the vocal intro of the spacey "Don't Hold The Wall" into the dancefloor banger "FutureSex/LoveSound." And right after that took the Spanish-sounding "Like I Love You" seamlessly into the jittery "My Love" interlude.

It wasn't all masterful transitions like that though. It was a pop show, so JT of course did tons of crowd hyping like slowing "My Love" into a ballad and milking that a bit before bringing the beat back in. Or starting "Summer Love" with a choppy a cappella before getting the whole crowd screaming "and tell me how they got that pretty little face on that pretty little frame girl" and then bringing the band in.

No guests showed up (well except Joey Fatone dancing on stage for about a minute towards the end), but Justin did play his intro to Jay Z's "Holy Grail," and instead of going into Jay's verse, took it directly into "Cry Me A River." He ended up rapping part of Jay's "Tom Ford" during "Cry Me A River," and later did the same with "Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit" during "SexyBack." He also honored Frank Sinatra once again later in the set with a cover of "New York, New York" (like he did at Yankee Stadium with Jay Z in 2013).

Setlist-wise, it would have been nice to actually hear some of the better deep cuts off The 20/20 Experience like the full "Don't Hold the Wall" or "Strawberry Bubblegum" (which the DJ who opened played), especially in place of the country pop-leaning "Not A Bad Thing" or the acoustic Ray LaMontagne cover he played after it, which both seemed a little out of place and unnecessary. That aside, when JT and the band were on, they were on, and it was a really fun show.

Justin's tour hits NYC again on December 14 at Barclays Center (tickets). Pictures from Hammerstein are in this post. More, with the setlist, below...

Justin Timberlake @ Hammerstein Ballroom - 7/10/14 Setlist:
LoveStoned
Until The End of Time
Holy Grail / Cry Me A River
Senorita
Shake Your Body
Not A Bad Thing
Jolene (Ray LaMontagne cover)
What Goes Around
New York, New York
Suit & Tie
SexyBack
Mirrors

was it highline or hammerstein

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:45 AM

The acoustic cover was Ray LaMontagne's "Jolene"

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:46 AM

lol @ "Highline Ballroom"

How does an "editor" not proof his own work?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 10:49 AM

@10:45, added thanks!

Posted by as | July 11, 2014 11:03 AM

OMG y'all - what if GRIMES gave that song to JT instead of RiRi?!??

A M A Z E B A L L Z

Posted by Tiny Carlos D | July 11, 2014 11:16 AM

So wait... you actually had to own one of these credit cards to attend this show?

UNreal.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 2:04 PM

2:04, no that's not true. You needed to own a Citi card or a MasterCard to BUY the tickets from TicketMaster. You didn't need one to actually attend.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 2:37 PM

nonono. you had to own one of those cards to buy tickets and resell them on stubhub for $300 to anyone without one of those cards. #priceless

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 2:39 PM

You think a guy who rakes in millions would have a haircut that doesn't look like he got it at a fuckin' $15 haircut joint. And he needs shaving lessons.

'Love the polyester outfit, too.

What's with the hat?

He sucks dick. He is everything that was and still is wrong with pop music since the '90s: bland, shallow, prepackaged, and unoriginal.

Posted by D | July 11, 2014 10:14 PM

^If you dislike this dude so much, why did you take the time to read the blog, look at the pictures, and comment? Are you a latent homosexual?

Posted by Owner of Supercuts | July 12, 2014 12:54 PM

Hey fu ckstick, I'm not what you're not and wished I was, so "no" to answer your first question.

I commented because I fu cking feel like it, too bad if you don't like it. Yeah, I glanced at the pics and see JT still has his $15 haircut when he's worth at least $150M and doesn't know how to maintain a beard after all these years. I also see he's dressing like some moke from Brighton Beach.

Because BV has an entry about JT I shouldn't be reading the blog, you make alot of sense.

Posted by D | July 12, 2014 1:26 PM

"He is everything that was and still is wrong with pop music since the '90s: bland, shallow, prepackaged, and unoriginal."

And yet, you're commenting on his hair stylings and clothing. How is that not shallow?

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 4:22 PM

^ Because he's more about that than music.

Like NSYNC was all about that more than music.

In case you've been living under a fucking rock since New Kids On The Block started this shit and prompted shit like JT to follow suit.

I'm not shallow, JT and 99.9% of his fans are, and you are more than welcome to give me the "I'm the other 0.01%" comeback.

It's ok for JT and his fans to perpetuate fashion and image over music and substance but damn me to hell for noting that? Up yours.

Posted by D | July 12, 2014 7:14 PM

*0.1%

Posted by D | July 12, 2014 7:15 PM

There is some horrific pop out there and I can't say JT is one of them. I'm totally not a fan but at least the dude writes, produces and can sing live. If you think little indie bands aren't concerned with their images as well you gotta be somewhat of a moron.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 1:12 PM