Posted in NYC | music | tour dates | venues on July 11, 2014

by Bill Pearis

IMAGE

My first apartment in NYC was on Third Ave between 27th and 28th, and at the time my friend Jason was in an alt-country band. Between the two, I spent a lot of time at the Rodeo Bar, one of the few places that consistently booked country music in Manhattan. (Rockabilly and folk too.) It was also the filming location of Lou Barlow's infamous interview on MTV's Sex in the '90s which some of you may remember. (You would think a clip of this would be online somewhere.) I haven't been there in a few years, but was sad to hear this:

Dear Rodeo Bar patrons and music lovers,

We are deeply saddened to announce that after 27 years in business, Rodeo Bar and Grill is closing its doors after July 27, 2014.

Here at New York's longest-running honky-tonk, we stayed open during some of the city's toughest times -- Hurricane Sandy, the 2003 blackout, 9/11 -- but recent rent increases, combined with a changing landscape, have made it impossible for us continue.

For the past three decades, Rodeo Bar has been home to thousands of bands, and we're proud to have helped define the country, Americana and rockabilly scene in New York City for all these years. But more than that, we were supported by an incredible community of people from New York and all over the world who helped make this bar great. We can't thank y'all enough.

For the rest of July, we're open every night, and the music schedule is killer -- and free, as it always has been. So come on down and join us for every show, every Shiner, and every moment with the horse trailer we call home. We're going out with our boots on.

Much Love, and Until the Buffalo Sings,

Rodeo Bar

The NYC Real Estate market is no joke these days. As the note mentions, The Rodeo Bar will be open until July 27 with free music every night. Tonight (7/11) it's guitarist Joe Taino. Sorry to see you go, Rodeo Bar. Its remaining live schedule below...

Rodeo Bar - JULY 2014 SCHEDULE
Fri, Jul 11 Joe Taino
One of the best guitar players in NYC.

Sat, Jul 12 Gene Casey and the Lonesharks
Rockabilly Saturday Night!

Sun, Jul 13 Dysfunctional Family Jazz Band
Jazz, swing and sultry female vocals

Mon, Jul 14 Live Band Kuntry Karaoke

Tue, Jul 15 Juliet and The Lonesome Romeos

Wed, Jul 16 Van Hayride
Countrified Van Halen, hard rock honky tonk and beyond.
Jack Grace Band
FAREWELL to The Rodeo bar show!

Thu, Jul 17 Todd Wolfe

Thu, Jul 17 7 to 9 - Hell or High Water

Fri, Jul 18 The Hangdogs

Sat, Jul 19 Roy Wilson and The Buzzards
Rockabilly Saturday Night!

Sun, Jul 20 Chris Berardo And The DesBerardos

Tue, Jul 22 Red June

Wed, Jul 23 Comic Tales of Tragic Heartbreak

Thu, Jul 24 Jan Bell and The Maybelles

Fri, Jul 25 Scott Sharrard
Guitar player for Gregg Allman

Sat, Jul 26 Eugene Chryslers Rockabilly Trio
CD Release Show/ Rockabilly Saturday Night

Sun, Jul 27 RODEO MUSIC PROGRAM ENDS JULY 26th.
Thanks for a great run NYC

havent been in a few years but what a great respite in that craphole area.

i remember going often to see susquehannah tool and die co.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:02 PM

loved this place; always stayed open later than everything else nearby. will be missed, along with the free peanuts.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:05 PM

not ONE hardcore show in this venue. Good riddance.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:05 PM

went to school around the corner from this place 10-12 years ago, use to frequent happy hour. not being a rockabilly fan, I appreciated the atmosphere and exposure to the (different) music (free and daily). Lets hope they pop up somewhere else.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:05 PM

stopped reading at "one of the few places that consistently booked country music".

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:10 PM

The Beer-rita's there are THE SHIT.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:13 PM

Bad Livers! Gonna miss this place (i too haven't been in ages).

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:15 PM

Loved those giant sugary margaritas and free peanuts. Another one bites the dust in NYC :(

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:19 PM

NYC is 4 froots.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 4:46 PM

Only time I was there was for a lousy second OK Cupid date. Let the place rot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 5:53 PM

Just saw a GREAT rockabilly s

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 6:11 PM

Anyone who has left a negative comment about this place is a piece of shit. Rodeo, you will be severely missed.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 7:34 PM

Saw amazing sets by Jimbo Mathus and the Down Hill Strugglers there. Rodeo Bar will be missed, along with that country gravy on their chicken fried chicken.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2014 8:29 PM

4:05pm is still asshurt that I said what he parroted about some metal bar in Brooklyn that closed recently.

Keep surfing my nuts, bitch.

Posted by D | July 11, 2014 10:09 PM

My 2nd nyc apt was right there. Their 24 once rodeo steak for $14.95 was one of the best deals ever. But then, instead of jacking up the price, they began to serve crap meat and I had stop going there.

Posted by ME | July 11, 2014 11:13 PM

They had a tex mex hummus dish there that was a true masterpiece of mashed chickpea.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 12:56 AM

Best chimichanga in the city, bar none

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 1:29 AM

RIP I've spent dozens of nights there over many years. Saw some great shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 1:40 AM

In four years NYC will be just as bland as the rest of the country. Rent will fall because there will be nothing interesting enough to keep people here. Online delivery services will kill the need for brick and mortar Duane Reeds on every other corner. The shitty bank branches on every other other corner will eventually disappear because who the fuck actually goes inside a bank, and in 20 years New York will be interesting again. It's allna cycle.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 2:31 AM

Sweet, I hope they open a Chase bank there. I can only fun their ATMs, never an actual location, so this would be an awesome location. Woohoo banks!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 11:52 AM

Is 10:09 some BV celebrity? 'Jocking my nuts!?' Does this person realize it's an anonymous website? Lol, what a kook!

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 11:55 AM

231 People have been saying that since the 80s.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 12:03 PM

The real D don't surf.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 2:48 PM

You'll grow up someday, 4:10.

Or maybe not. What do I know? I'm just a Tiny Carlos D!

Posted by Tiny Carlos D | July 12, 2014 4:15 PM

2.31.... This couldn't happen soon enough! I no longer recognize the city I grew up in. This place is the pits.

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2014 6:44 PM

Wow get some new material 2:48pm.

I'm giving you attention only because no one else is. I pity you.

Posted by D | July 12, 2014 7:25 PM

i fucking hate that toe Rodeo is no more....

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2014 7:17 PM

I am so sad about the Rodeo bar closing. i was away in july with my mom in North carolina. I was looking forward to hearing some great music and having some ttex- mex food. I have seen so many great bands and it was the only place i could listen to honky -tonk, country and rocka billy at any given night. Where can I go now? i found this place because of a band called the Tar Box Ramblers and then i saw a list of musicians that I wanted to see. I have seen Hugh Pool, Demolition String Band and Zane Campbell. So so good. I will miss this place. Thanks for all the great musical moments.

Posted by Elizabeth | October 4, 2014 4:39 PM

I am very upset about the closing of The Rodeo Bar. I found out about this place because of the Lincoln Center Out of doors festival during their salute to Roots of American Music. I heard some of the finest blue- grass and Americana music, rickskaggs, and hazel Dickens and The Tar box Ramblers. I wanted to hear that kind of music all of the time. i followed a little band called The Demolition String Band. They were so good that i found myself dancing at the front of the stage. from then on, it became a regular place to go. I have heard some awesome groups from around the country. I would have never been able to enjoy the freedom and pure joy of listening and dancing to The jack grace Band, ZaneCampbell, Hugh pool, and Barbercue Bob. I feel very cheated that i missed the closing, but I will alwayshave my memories and they were very good. I hope someone else will have vision to open up another place that honored this style of music and their fans. sorry to see you go. where do I go now/ Where do we go to here this music again/ too bad. i guess it' back to festivals and traveling around the country. Too sad. Signed Olga Elizabeth

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2014 4:52 PM