Posted in music on July 10, 2014

Ryuichi

Dear All,

In the end of June, I was diagnosed with throat cancer. After much though and consideration, I have decided to take time off of work in order to concentrate on treating it. I deeply regret causing so many people considerable inconvenience. However, the first wealth is health, and hence this biter decision.

I will not able to attend the fast approaching First Sapporo International Art Festival 2014, a project that I have spent the past two painstaking years in preparation for. I would like to express my sincerest apologies to Fumio Ueda, the Mayor of Sapporo, the citizens of the city, the managerial staff, contributing artists, and everyone who has helped realized this project. Although I will be absent, all of the programs will be of highest quality -- this I promise. I would like nothing more than for everyone to enjoy the festival in my place.

Furthermore, I had planned a performance on July 30th commemorating Park Hyatt Tokyo's 20th anniversary. I was looking forward to attending the anniversary along with all of the guests, and to present new material written for this occasion. Therefore, it deeply upsets me to have to cancel this concert during a time of celebration. I would like express my deepest apologies to those involved in putting this together, and to those who planned to attend the concert.

Lastly, I would like to apologize for all of the burden I will undoubtedly be casting upon everyone who has been working with me on various other projects.

Please bare with me while I regain my health. I promise to return after a full recovery. Thank you very much.

The upsetting above message was posted by Japanese composer Ryuichi Sakamoto to his website, explaining his recent diagnosis of throat cancer. Ryuichi was a member of the Yellow Magic Orchestra, who proved to be highly influential on many styles of electronic music. He's also scored many films, and has collaborated with David Byrne, Thomas Dolby, Iggy Pop, Arto Lindsay, Laurie Anderson, and countless others.

Get well soon Ryuichi!

Watch some videos of him, below...

Yellow Magic Orchestra - Firecracker (Soul Train 1980)

Ryuichi Sakamoto Trio 01-11-2011 London Royal Festival Hall

Dude is facing the barrel of a gun, and he is still gracious and classy. Something to learn here, hipsters and trolls.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 9:54 AM

Best of luck for a full recovery. This guy is amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 9:57 AM

Of course there's only 2 comments. Most hipsters don't even know who this guy is. Speedy recovery Sakamoto san!

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 10:19 AM

10:19 - you are such a fucking self-important asshole. Perhaps there aren't comments b/c people only use BV comment section to say negative things(?) If only Sakamoto could transfer his cancer to you...

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 10:30 AM

Get well soon Ryuichi Sakamoto (and 10:30).

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 10:50 AM

This guy has penned some revolutionary tracks in his day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 4:40 PM

No need to apologize, get well soon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2014 9:10 PM

You will conquer this demon. It is a trial and you will come out a winner. Trust, trust, trust. I have known others who have been healed of this as long as 35 years ago. With new healing in place and many spiritual healing energies, you will be whole. Take time for you. That is your lesson here. You have been giving you away and it is your time to bring you back to focus. Forgive yourself, love yourself, and go forward. I love you!

Posted by Frances Pullin | July 11, 2014 2:00 AM

Check out Left-Handed Dream, and the soundtrack to Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

BV tries really hard but misses the astonishing climax in between Sakamoto San and David Bowie in the above mentioned fantastic film.

Posted by ME | July 11, 2014 2:06 AM

Best wishes to Sakamoto san in healing. Reducing stress and strain is a great means of allowing the body to heal. Listening to beautiful music is a wonderful pleasure. Producing music professionally is tough. You can't hit bad notes. You have to play even if you feel I'll or down. I hope I do not offend anyone by saying my opinion that for an Asian man to reach the level of artistry in a white man's world you must be twice as good. Hard on the nervous system. Fully leave your old life and focus on healing. I believe that healing begins on the spiritual level and then filters into the physical. You have given so much joy and ease
to others. Now is your time to receive.

Posted by Dean Furukawa | July 11, 2014 12:20 PM