Posted in music on July 14, 2014

Hudson Project 2014 (via er_duh)
Hudson Project

Inaugural upstate NY music festival The Hudson Project went down this weekend (Friday, July 11 - Sunday, July 13) and seemed to get off to a good start with positive reviews of Kendrick Lamar, The Flaming Lips and more, but eventually things to a little sour. Daily Freeman reported that dozens were arrested on drug charges, and though the bit of rain on Saturday didn't put too much of a damper on the festival, the weather on Sunday caused the rest of that day to be cancelled. From a press release that went out yesterday afternoon:

Festival-goers were evacuated this afternoon (Sunday, July 13 at 4:45 PM, ET) from the event grounds and were directed by staff and New York State, Ulster County and Saugerties town officials to seek shelter in vehicles until the storm safely passed. "Our first priority is always the safety of our fans, artists and staff," said Jonathan Fordin, partner of MCP Presents, the promoter behind THE HUDSON PROJECT. "We regret having to cancel any performance, but safety always comes first."
This caused sets from Action Bronson, Cults, STRFKR, Bassnectar and more to be cancelled. Did you go to any of the three days? What was your experience like?

The first year of The Hudson Project was partially to "replace" MCP Presents' other festival, Camp Bisco, which took 2014 off. Bisco promises to be back in 2015 though.

Watch a video of The Flaming Lips at the festival, below...

I originally read the headline as "dozens attended."

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 10:02 AM

"• Ozzy D. Milligan, 23, of New Market, Tenn., for the felonies criminal possession of a controlled substance and criminal sale of a controlled substance (LSD).

• Maximillian Z. Vonfrangenberg, 21, of Groveland, Fla., for the felonies of criminal possession of a controlled substance (LSD) and criminal sale of a controlled substance (LSD)."

You. Cannot. Make. That. Up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 10:06 AM

The lineup was phenomenal.

Everything else was a bit bare, disorganized, and bland.

The sound could have been a lot better.

Security was hilarious. I walked in with 2 duffel bags and barely got pat down while the kid next to me was having his wallet searched thoroughly.

That said, the music was great.

Posted by Julian | July 14, 2014 10:18 AM

The security was damn near police state. Like a slow mo sting. WHY would K9 units be in the campgrounds througout? Outside front gates, sure, whatever but inside the fucking campgrounds? People at festival in other parts of the country would be stunned at the shit NYer's have to deal with. WHY are people still getting busted for pot? WHY can someone be searched because they smell like pot? All such bullshit. Oh and someone tell someone that matters that Winston Farm is a shit site for a festival. Complete shit. Rain or no rain. I feel like I've been ass fucked by a redwood.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 10:28 AM

10:28 put the bong down and take off the tin foil hat Smokey. I can only assume your YouTube history is all illuminati conspiracy videos? But I digress, you forget drugs are illegal whether or not you're behind a fence dumb ass.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:09 AM

11:09 is a douche canoe

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:44 AM

11:09 different festivals have different drug policies - though that may be a bit of a secret. Drug dogs in campgrounds are a whole other level and if Hudson Project is doing that people should be warned.

If your attitude is "there should be no drugs at festivals and I hate drugs and am happy they are illegal" um... haha. Maybe you should find a different hobby than listening to and attending live music, angry guy?

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:45 AM

I used to be a festival goer but its events like these that turned me off. Police dogs INSIDE the campgrounds? Don't think I'll be going to any festivals ever again after reading about this one.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:52 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 11:54 AM

I don't do drugs, but I still avoid festivals where they are all intimidating and searchy. Glad I avoided this one. I was only going to go for marco benevento and bassnectar. I went to electric forest for 4 years in a row and stopped because one year their searches caused me to miss 40+ minutes of music.
I dont need a bunch of cops breathing down my neck when I'm trying to relax, make frends, and have a good time. If you want to throw a festival, this is what not to do. I wont pay for it, and many others shouldn't either.

Vote with your dollars.

Posted by DJohnson | July 14, 2014 12:14 PM

Well, festivals are about the music for some people but I would say at >50% of your festival goer population is dumb college kids who just want to take a lot of drugs and pretend to be hippies for a weekend. I'm not a hard drug user but I think everyone can agree I don't deserve to have my campsite vehicle and human rights ripped apart by badges and dogs just because I like to smoke a bowl here and there at a festival.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 12:21 PM

The thing is the security is there so no one gets hurt, like the kid who almost died from OD. State police decides to come in and make all these arrests, management can't do anything about it, its the police's jurisdiction. At other festivals, like the big one in TN, they just either confiscated the drugs that were in bulk on people or left them alone if it was "personal use". They have drug dogs at almost all of the festivals, sometimes you just never know they were there. When you see "felony" arrest at this one, it could be from ONE hit of X, NY considers ONE pill, tab, hit, whatever you want to call it, a felony! that is what's crazy!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 12:49 PM

They are trying so hard to generate money in these depressed areas upstate but there is always buttfuck police bullshit at the events , like they are waiting to pounce when anybody shows up ,these events and festivals end up being one offs because of this reason and those areas will remain broke and depressed,The days of the resorts are long over there is no reason to go up there and why fork over money to go upstate and to think you are going to relax when you have to deal with these assholes.They can look forward to policing rednecks in a worthless environment in the future .

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 1:10 PM

Disorganized, fucking terrible festival in my opinion, in every aspect honestly want a little money back, hudson was a shit
Show

Posted by Dingus | July 14, 2014 1:20 PM

Those who are willing to trade liberty for security, deserve neither liberty nor security.

Watch out for your friends and neighbours to avoid ODs/Deaths. Harassment and intimidation will not save a dumb 18-year old from eating a bunch of who-knows-what powered/pilled drugs and end up dead in their tent the next morning. Common sense people.

Posted by DJohnson | July 14, 2014 1:22 PM

Festivals suck unless you're in the band playing them

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 1:46 PM

Haha those state trooper hats..."Don't you know that cowboy get up is strictly for fags!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 2:30 PM

this comment section smells like straight up NOOB. how about going to a different festival because this one was obviously going to be a shit show from the start?

"How about simply leaving the drugs at home? Festivals are about the music, right?"

"put the bong down and take off the tin foil hat Smokey. I can only assume your YouTube history is all illuminati conspiracy videos? But I digress, you forget drugs are illegal whether or not you're behind a fence dumb ass."

TBH, this festival seemed perfectly suited for all you noobs and posers. god please just stick to your conglomerate abomination music festivals and stay out of the circuit. please, anyone who knows what a music festival is supposed to be is begging you to do so.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 3:47 PM

This was an utter failure of a show. Expensive ticket, nickeled and dime'd style money grubbing, poorly organized, and in the end cut short by the state police on the pretext of a storm that ultimately just dropped a bunch of water and went on its way. Did I mention I spent well over $300 for entrance costs alone and DIDNT GET A THIRD DAY? I'm fine with police being at these types of events, so long as they're there to preserve safety and respect, not gold-dig pot users and grab my balls.

Also, those told they could arrive thursday night encountered a freakishly long wait for the woefully insufficient fleet of shuttles that ultimately took over 8 hours (arrived at 10pm, got to campsite by 7am) just to get to your campground.

When they did call the festival off, they got on the PA's and told everyone to "abandon your things and head for shelter in your cars." Trouble was, only a thousand or two cars were actually able to park on site (read: a 17 minute slog through a mud pit to make it to the campgrounds). Everyone else was parked a few miles away. So they think they fixed that little bug when they told us to "make friends with strangers and sit it out in their car!"

Some problems to highlight: they told everyone to evacuate to the insufficient automobile shelter with only about 20-30 minutes before the downpour actually began. That means that most people were stuck out in the elements when the first wave of the storm hit.

After the first wave, there was confusion and disorganization around what was happening with the weather, whether or not the shows would go on, and generally the relative level of the state of emergency that we experienced.

Nobody, of all the festival staff and local and state law enforcement, took the time to organize communication or even make announcements concerning the protocol for leaving. The police were too busy going fishing for felonies to be concerned with the ACTUAL SAFETY of PEOPLE, to whom they are sworn to serve and protect and whose ticket prices contributed to their paychecks.

Whatever your politics, make no mistake: festivals are hotbeds for drug use - not everyone uses irresponsibly, but there sure are plenty of folks who do act foolishly. By the time they suspended the festival on sunday, there was no mistaking the considerable percentage of attendees whose mental and physical faculties were impaired. By closing the show and telling everyone they needed to leave, they put thousands of drug-riddled minds with whatever they could carry on a dangerously washed-out path to their vehicles and ultimately the roads beyond. That was totally unreasonable.

I will never attend this festival again, if it even happens again. It was such a nightmare, punctuated by poor event coordination, terribly uniformed staff, and a ridiculous battery of law enforcement who ultimately shot the parade in the proverbial head rather than let some rain fall on it.

I want a refund.

Posted by anonymous | July 14, 2014 3:47 PM

I say all unhappy should get together and FILE A CLASS ACTION SUIT against the promoter. Really a judge on site this reeks of entrapment. Also people still there 14 hrs later because of the mud they could not get their cars out and no security around to help. They had to have food brought in for these people. If you issue the permit to have these festivals you understand the consequences of the event. This was a money grabbing event and all that attended need to scream loudly for their money back. This venue sucked in all aspects.

Posted by Pat | July 14, 2014 4:01 PM

Saturday night was a good time though...

Posted by Jordan | July 14, 2014 4:09 PM

Modest Mouse were terrible

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 4:31 PM

I was one of those dozens. The whole things was pretty awful. Then they sent everybody home totally wacked out in the middle of the afternoon. Weird times, bad times.

Posted by Alex | July 14, 2014 5:03 PM

i was so excited to see Cults and STRFKR on Sunday. I was even looking forward to seeing a lesser known band, Sunflower Bean, play new york stage. been waiting for them to go on tour. hudson project was the worst festival i have ever attended. the festival made me embarrassaed to be from upstate NY.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2014 10:37 PM

That bitch walking around with the bunny rabbit stripper outfit, would totally smash 10/10. Big ups to the guys who had the bloodsport - jean-claude van damme cardboard cutout blowups. Much respect to those dudes with the fanta leafs, very smooth, fuck dutchmasters I am a believer. Much respect to that guy in the zoot suit with the crazy chains around his neck for sale, that guy was fucking COOL.

Posted by Das Like Ma Favorite 1 | July 14, 2014 11:17 PM

Leave the damn decks at home, kids!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2014 1:09 AM

3:47

I was there too and 100% agree with every last thing you had to say. We are getting money back for Sunday (whenever that will actually get to us) but I truly hope someone gets a lawsuit going for damages and the items people were forced to leave behind and/or were damaged because the organizers evacuation plan was made up on the spot and a complete mess.

I really need to stop reading articles about this (although brooklynvegan wasn't offensive, especially compared to the garbage posted about it on Gothamist) because clearly unless you were there you really have no clue of what it was like.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2014 3:08 PM

I seldom post comments, but this time, too many haters with too much time on their hands seem to be taking advantage here. I was there all weekend. And when mother natures drenches us, there's nothing any promoter can do to stop it. The fact that they evacuated us with safety as a #1 concern should be commended. And when you have tens of thousands of people combined with torrential rain, how do help everyone who's car is in mud. Unrealistic. Maybe these complainers are spoiled rich kids. Regardless, my friends (3) and I had a great time. Food onsite was excellent with lots of choices. Healthy stuff basically, a nice plus. Flaming Lips were insanely great. Wow, the lights alone. Saturday was a hands down blast. Matt & Kim by far stole the crown for best act of the weekend. Holy shit. They blew everyone away. - Jeff Bown

Posted by Jeff Bown | July 16, 2014 9:18 AM

^ works for The Hudson Project

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2014 9:34 AM

^ unemployed

Posted by D | July 16, 2014 9:39 AM

^ employed by Pizza Hut

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2014 10:39 AM

Yeah, I have to agree that guy is an idiot. Sure there was decent food available, IF YOU COULD GET TO IT, and afford it. Due to vendors having to pay 35% (!) of their profits to the promoters it was insanely overpriced and not convenient to the show area. As for the evacuation during the Thunderstorm of Doom; I was part of a security company contracted by the promoters from another state. None of our people were provided with maps of the town or festival area, told how people were to be evacuated, through which exit or where to until well after the rain was falling and everyone who'd taken all their psychedelics before Bassnectar had had plenty of time for them to kick in. Result: crowds of drenched, disappointed people who are insanely high trying to get to some kind of shelter asking drenched, uninformed, security people how to get there. Too bad we didn't know where "There" was because the promoters didn't tell us unti too late.
I want to say thanks to all the festival goers for NOT going totally apeshit and being decent to us and each other. Personally I nearly flipped out and I was being paid to be there. If I had paid $300 or more to be there and been treated like that I would have lost it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2014 3:54 AM

Was at Woodstock 94 (same site) actually lived ½ mile away from the show at the time... Complete chaos from $-chit transactions to out right extorsion from locals who had driver (based on where u lived) passes offering rides thru town to the site...
I loaded my truck up each time I had to leave my house I never asked** I was going that way as it was regardless** people offered gas money ... I accepted with thanks and offered to everyone I met ... My address .. By the end of the weekend I had 53 tents in my yard (we had the space..) There was an outdoor shower set up and 3 halved out metal drums for barbeque pits that my dad had a blast cooking out on all weekend ... THIS WAS NOT PLANNED this evolved through to it the festival... We had one request ... If you can afford to ... Pitchin for food and drinks etc ... If not ... Help out as you can ...

Most people stayed at our place except the artist they couldn't miss.... I was back stage area for Metallica and nine inch nails ( friends on security detail)

At the end it all your me ppl from as far away as Nevada ( B-man next year) my family recvd a card from Indiana shortly afterwards inside was 4 50$ bills along with a note "god looked out for our children while the went off to NY please accept a small token of thanks for your genuine hospitality and making the experience for our kids a positive one"

I shared this because I'm 42 and that was my first experience at a fest... I've hit at least one a year since ...
I'd love to see something permanently happen at Winston farm I realize that cops at time in this area are a bit over zealous ....
I guess I'd like to just say ... Find your balance between what's out of your hands ... And what whithin your grasp ... Change what you can about the vibe and attitudes that you bring to the table and hopefully some of the other frustrating things will change.. As well.. I've been sober at shows and not so sober at some .... But I've always tried to be good to everyone uniformed or not and to date ... I've never had a hard time and I've been a bit crazy at a show ...but I'm respectfull always .... JUST SOME THOUGHTS

Posted by mb | July 17, 2014 5:56 AM

To the person above me, THANK YOU....absolutely wonderful reading.
and I agree

I went to the festival and had a weird but positive and crazy and beautiful experience, filled with negatives and positives.

It was the hudson music PROJECT, a complete project...lack of organization yes, but still a really awesome time.

I will be back next year because why not!

Posted by Lucy | July 20, 2014 1:17 PM