Posted in metal | music on August 25, 2014

by Wyatt Marshall

Isis at Irving Plaza in 2009 (more by Paul Birman)

The influential hardcore/post-metal band ISIS, now disbanded, is unfortunately being confused with the terrorist group of the same name. ISIS (the terrorist group), which stands for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, has shocked the world with a rapid expansion of a so-called caliphate in recent weeks, and for its brutal killings of Shiites and minorities including Christians, Yazidis, and more. Last week, ISIS militants claimed responsibility for beheading the American journalist James Foley, a turning point in the United States' stance towards the group, which led to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel calling ISIS "beyond just a terrorist group" and "beyond anything that we've seen."

Some have mistakenly directed their anger at the terrorist group at the band instead. In an interview with ABC, Isis's drummer Aaron Harris said the attention caught the band off guard and that the band has received "off-color comments" on their Facebook page, which the band has changed to "Isis the band." (Their website similarly is Isistheband.com) Fans have also emailed the band saying they are reluctant to wear the band's shirts in public as they have received "off-color comments."

A representative from the band's label, Ipecac, told ABC that, "It is an unfortunate situation and of course a few less than enlightened people are not seeing the distinction between an inactive band of musicians and a band of terrorists involved in current world affairs."

The Austerity Program commiserated:

Isis the band included a number of members of the post-metal band Palms as well as Aaron Turner of Hydra Head Records. Palms, which also includes Chico Moreno of Deftones, are touring soon. Check out all dates listed below...

Palms Tour Dates
9/22 Los Angeles, CA @ The Troubadour
9/24 Albuquerque, NM @ The Launchpad
9/25 Lubbock, TX @ Jake's Backroom
9/26 Austin, TX @ The Mohawk
9/27 San Antonio, TX @ Backstage Live
9/28 Dallas, TX @ Tree's
9/29 Houston, TX @ Scout Bar
9/30 Corpus Christi, TX @ Brewster St. Ice House
10/2 El Paso, TX @ Tricky Falls

Tags: ISIS, terrorism

These guys should tour with Gaza!

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 1:46 PM

In other news, the deity Isis has taken constant shit from her peers ever since this stupid band starting boring metal fans around the world.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 1:49 PM

yeah but the deity has had it coming ever since she copped the secret name and wouldn't share it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 2:03 PM

Not to be confused with the all-female funk band around in the '70s:

Is it really that hard to do a search before using the name of a band that was on a major label prior?

Posted by texastab | August 25, 2014 2:07 PM

Bob Dylan never gets confused with this shit, and he did his thing long before any of this lot ...

I married Isis on the fifth day of May
But I could not hold on to her very long
So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away
For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong

I came to a high place of darkness and light
The dividing line ran through the center of town
I hitched up my pony to a post on the right
Went in to a laundry to wash my clothes down

A man in the corner approached me for a match
I knew right away he was not ordinary
He said, “Are you lookin’ for somethin’ easy to catch?”
I said, “I got no money.” He said, “That ain’t necessary”

We set out that night for the cold in the North
I gave him my blanket, he gave me his word
I said, “Where are we goin’?” He said we’d be back by the fourth
I said, “That’s the best news that I’ve ever heard”

I was thinkin’ about turquoise, I was thinkin’ about gold
I was thinkin’ about diamonds and the world’s biggest necklace
As we rode through the canyons, through the devilish cold
I was thinkin’ about Isis, how she thought I was so reckless

How she told me that one day we would meet up again
And things would be different the next time we wed
If I only could hang on and just be her friend
I still can’t remember all the best things she said

We came to the pyramids all embedded in ice
He said, “There’s a body I’m tryin’ to find
If I carry it out it’ll bring a good price”
’Twas then that I knew what he had on his mind

The wind it was howlin’ and the snow was outrageous
We chopped through the night and we chopped through the dawn
When he died I was hopin’ that it wasn’t contagious
But I made up my mind that I had to go on

I broke into the tomb, but the casket was empty
There was no jewels, no nothin’, I felt I’d been had
When I saw that my partner was just bein’ friendly
When I took up his offer I must-a been mad

I picked up his body and I dragged him inside
Threw him down in the hole and I put back the cover
I said a quick prayer and I felt satisfied
Then I rode back to find Isis just to tell her I love her

She was there in the meadow where the creek used to rise
Blinded by sleep and in need of a bed
I came in from the East with the sun in my eyes
I cursed her one time then I rode on ahead

She said, “Where ya been?” I said, “No place special”
She said, “You look different.” I said, “Well, not quite”
She said, “You been gone.” I said, “That’s only natural”
She said, “You gonna stay?” I said, “Yeah, I jes might”

Isis, oh, Isis, you mystical child
What drives me to you is what drives me insane
I still can remember the way that you smiled
On the fifth day of May in the drizzlin’ rain

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 2:34 PM

fuck your post metal comments. Isis has always been metal.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 3:09 PM

well they are EPONYMOUS

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 3:19 PM

American lamestream media never fail to amuse. Until the beheading ISIS were "sunni militants", only after it they have become "terrorists".
What's the difference between Hamas and ISIS? Basically nothing, but CNN still call the first ones "militants".

P.S. Hagel is a bigger tool even than Obama or Kerry.

Posted by ME | August 25, 2014 3:43 PM

You idiots that watch MSNBC/ CNN/ FOX NEWS are so mislead it's unbelievable.

RAND PAUL 2014!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 3:49 PM

3:49 just came here from infowars.com

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 3:53 PM

Isis should go on tour with Procol Boko Harum.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 4:49 PM

Nothing beats Earth CrISIS

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 4:55 PM

Remember all the shit We Are The World Trade Center got in 2001? Probably not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 4:56 PM

You're right, I don't.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 5:38 PM

they should go on tour with Shazam and the Mentors.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 6:12 PM

The post city is the real enemy.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | August 25, 2014 7:53 PM

The best misunderstood band I can remember was "We Honestly Dislike Jewish People." Their album "We Aren't Kidding. Jews really Piss Us Off" was classic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 8:03 PM

Isis is a woman god

Posted by Anonymous | August 25, 2014 10:16 PM

..didn't see this coming... you know... instantly...

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 3:54 AM

Fuck Rand Paul.

He's giving free eye exams to Guatemalans to cull the Latino vote but not giving free eye exams to Kentuckians.

'Cool the Guatemalan are getting free exams (even though again it's only because Paul is kissing Latino ass) but how 'bout free exams for people in your own state and country, asshole?

'Love how this dipshit is against Obamacare (affordable healthcare for all Americans) yet he gives free healthcare to non-Americans.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 9:20 AM

^ MSNBC/ CNN/ Fox News fan.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 9:46 AM

It's extremely evident that mainstream news will run erroneous stories in order to stop the libertarian movement. They fear it... They will always propagandize the stories to have the masses dismiss it.
It's been done since the days of Stalin.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 10:39 AM

Isis/Anthrax/We Are the World Trade Center/This Bike is a Pipe Bomb are going on a mega-tour, called "Shock and Awe."

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 11:56 AM

10:39- Probably because the vast majority of "libertarians" are conservatives who just won't admit what they are?

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 12:30 PM

^ funny how you think "conservatives" is some sort of negative thing.

The liberal movement that's been in power over Obama's administration has added more debt to America then anyone in time. (16 trillion) and employment still plummets, etc... I could continue for das with it, but this is a music blog, so let's talk about hip thrusting or something.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 12:53 PM

Shut up Josh.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2014 1:14 PM

12:53- I never added and value judgement whatsoever. I just (accurately) described an aspect of the current libertarian movement. And enough with the (misleading) bullet points every conservative blog parrots.

Posted by Anonymous | August 27, 2014 1:29 PM

the band was "I Am the World Trade Center." Not "We Are."

/pedant