Posted in NYC | music on August 13, 2014

IMAGE

New York Real Estate takes another one: Greenpoint, Brooklyn's 11-year-old independent shop Permanent Records. From their facebook:

There's no easy way to say it. So here it is:

WE LOST OUR LEASE. On September 30th, Permanent Records will relocate. We're saddened to leave our Greenpoint home but we're ready to embrace P-RECS 2.0, P-RECS Mach III, P-RECS REBOOT----eh, you know what I mean, more on that in a minute.

In 2003, when I told people I was opening a record store, I think most thought I was kookoo nuts. At that time, many of the NY shops were closing or at least struggling to stay open. It's just something I HAD to do and I'm glad I did. Selling records ended up being a viable business again, who knew?? Yeah, YOU knew, Mike Davis!

For those who don't know, initially, P-RECS started in a 200 year old house in Northport Village. Not without its share of some new-business-hard-times of its own, after a 3 ½ year foothold, we moved to Greenpoint. This will seem hard for some of you to believe, but back then Greenpoint was slightly uncharted territory. It was 2007 and there wasn't a whole lot going on over on Franklin Street, it had a sleepy small town quality which was part of the charm. It seemed to be a perfect fit. For the past 7+ years we've enjoyed being one of the mainstays (along with so many other great businesses) and believe we've had a hand in making Greenpoint the destination it's become.

Greenpoint's Permanent Records is a great store and we'll be sad to see them leave that great space, but glad to know they're finding a new one. Store owner Marjorie Eisenberg further adds:
We are merely reinventing ourselves. We will still be buying your record collections. We will still be selling you records. We still love talking about music with you. We THANK YOU for all your support over the last 11 years.

More details to come on our exciting new home and new business model. We hope you decide to stay with us and see how we do.

We look forward to seeing your next move, Permanent Recs.

I'm sure the space will make a fine AT&T.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 8:12 AM

Not so permanent!? :(

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 8:24 AM

damn

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 8:46 AM

What a bummer. Great shop and staff.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:32 AM

Give it up. I don't mean the business, I mean reopening elsewhere. It's 2014 people don't shop in stores anymore, or not enough to sustain one more record store. Best to sell from a spare room at your place or cheap office space or something.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:34 AM

not true 10:34. The physical attraction of buying the actual record goes hand in hand with the experience of the actual physical store. People who buy new and used vinyl love to shop for it in an actual store.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:42 AM

Still the best record store in NYC

Posted by Original Fuzz | August 13, 2014 10:43 AM

@10:42 Maybe 18 years ago. Times have changed. I buy records all the time, but I can't remember the last time I have been in a record store. It's cheaper online. I gave up on the browsing allure after I discovered how to use the internet.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:46 AM

10:34 No offense, but I think that a store that's been around for 11 years knows their business better than some random BV commenter, and knows whether it's worthwhile to re-open in a new location or not.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:58 AM

To be fair, it makes sense that your average BV commenter would hate people and so avoid stores and order from the internet only. But it's a mistake for said commenter to assume everyone else that buys records is as misanthropic and anti-social as they are.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:13 AM

So where are they moving to?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:16 AM

@paying less money makes a person cheap, but to say it makes them misanthropic is a little too far.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:17 AM

@1042pm Not nearly as much as they used to. The record store in NYC is dying. Name me the last NEW record store that opened here not named Rough Trade. Bleecker Street Records relocating doesn't count.

@10:58pm Fuck off. First off, you are as "random" as me and I know more about the record store business than you or Permanent Records regardless of how long they've been open so STFU. One thing I know that they don't is don't be a brick and mortar record store in 2014. Ebay, Discogs, online, by appointment, and buying collections is better. None cost rent, utilities, insurance etc. or all you need is a big empty room where the rent is alot cheaper.

Second they don't know their business cuz if they did they'd make enough money to make rent to still be in business wouldn't they? If they couldn't stay in their current (soon to be former) location what says they will be successful in their new venture esp. when their rents will be demonstratively higher than they were when they opened in 2003 wayyyy before Greenpoint became pricey so much they're being driven out by higher rent?

If they reopen they will close again and alot quicker than they did. Eleven years is a nice run when you had cheap rent most of that time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:22 AM

No offense, but I think a smarmy little shit who thinks cuz a store has been open 11 years cuz they had dirt cheap and cheap rent 2003 to my guess 2011-12 means they know their shit should have the balls to say why their business model will work instead of being a smarmy little shit who thinks cuz a store has been open for 11 years cuz they had dirt cheap and cheap rent 2003 to 2011-12 means they know their shit and is telling me I don't know.

Or do I have to be an MLB pitcher to know an MLB pitcher sucks ass? Idiot.

Generation Records has been open since 1992. Other Music since the mid '90s in a much more expensive place that Greenpoint. Bleecker Street Records was on Bleecker Street since the early-mid '90s until it moved to W.4th St. this year. Even Bleecker Bob's was open for over three decades before finally closing. The rents there are insane. So Permanent Records isn't all that in the business knowledge department.

Go to it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:29 AM

Guyz, I'm taking over the lease to open a spitoon and buggy whip store. Dolla dolla bill y'all.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:57 AM

You need to sell sweetcakes, to post city sweetcakes to make it in the post city.

Posted by Mr. Foot Fetish | August 13, 2014 11:57 AM

"Second they don't know their business cuz if they did they'd make enough money to make rent to still be in business wouldn't they?"

haha. what an ass. They aren't moving because they couldn't pay their rent. They're moving because the landlord didn't renew their lease. fuckin troll

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 12:05 PM

"Still the best record store in NYC"

truth

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 12:09 PM

Ok, Captured Tracks Records on Calyer St, Co-Op 87 on Guernsey St and Record Grouch on Manhattan have all opened in the last 3 years in Greenpoint.

Yes, I know Record Grouch used to be in a basement on Metropolitan but then it opened on Greenpoint's busiest and most heavily trafficked street.

Posted by JT | August 13, 2014 12:49 PM

the 8th best record store in Greenpoint is still a good thing to be.

hang in there, Permananent Records.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 12:52 PM

LOL @ D's business acumen.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:02 PM

Franklin Ave is going to be big $ soon.

Record stores are pretty much only interesting to cultish nerds.

Cultish nerds tend not to big $.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:10 PM

@12:05pm That's what Permanent Records SAYS you fuckin sap. They're saying that to save face. They're moving cuz they can't afford to pay the rent on the new lease and check this Einstein: even if they were denied lease renewal it doesn't matter anyway cuz it's highly likely the new rent would be unafforable to PR anyway.

@12:49pm Hey dumbass Record Grouch opened in 2008-09 and Co-Op 87 in 2010-11, so they're not "new". Captured Tracks wow, one new record store but not a pure one as it's really a record label. I'm talking a new store that wasn't something else before it. More than a year old is not "new", or does someone with a 2-year old kid call that child a "new kid". Dumbass.

@1:02pm I'm not D.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:43 PM

Amazon.com is the best record store in NYC

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:46 PM

So where are they moving?!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:52 PM

Academy, Record Grouch, Co-op 87, Captured Tracks are all great, Rough Trade fills a niche as well.

no reason Permanent Records shouldn't do well in its new location.

record stores might seem offensive to some, but much like coffee shops or shoe stores, they appeal to certain consumers.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:55 PM

"They're moving cuz they can't afford to pay the rent on the new lease"

It's very amusing how clueless this douche is. The landlord's son wanted the space for his own business so their lease wasn't renewed. End of story. But feel free to continue spewing nonsence cause that shit is hysterical.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 1:57 PM

1:43 = D = full retard

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 2:14 PM

1:57pm thinks he has inside info but doesn't. Way to make shit up as I doubt you know the landlord or his son but I'm sure you'll say i.e. lie and say you know either or both.

BTW if that was true what kind of dumbasses rent a store for 11 years and not talk lease extension?

2:14pm = full shithead

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 2:32 PM

I give all NYC record stores five more years.

The only NYC stores which will sell music in 2019 will be Best Buy and Hot Topic.

Vinyl has had a resurgence but it will die out again and when it does die out no way all the current record stores survive that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 2:38 PM

guarantee it's the SoundFix guy posting all these anti-record-store rants

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 3:08 PM

3:08 likes to intuit hidden information; it's the power he has

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 3:44 PM

Thank god Urban Outfitters has a legit selection of vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 5:06 PM

They aren't anti-record store rants, I'm actually trying to save people who are thinking about sinking tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars into opening record stores from not opening a record store.

I just told you the much better, cheaper way to sell records you fucking dullard.

Ebay, Discogs, online, by appointment only, collection buying etc.

There is absolutely NO need for record stores with the internet, NONE.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 5:14 PM

Even by Vegana standards, which are low, there's some fucking morons here...

Sound Fix was OK on Bedford, sucked when it moved not because the location was inferior but management slacked off. I didn't care enough to figure out who's 'fault' it was.

Permanent wasn't anybody's 'only' record store but it's always been fine and pleasant, good mix of genres, old and new, at fair prices in a non-douche environment.

Also, unlike the bad days at Academy, I've never had to flip through the Permanent bins while clown employees (some, not all) are eating their shitty breakfast, 'brunch' or lunches at the fucking counter, smelling up the joint.

Come on Mike Davis, you know better!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 5:48 PM

D stop being so goddamn mad bro. And If you aint D, youre a Dick or a Douche or a dumb ass mother fucker. Just fuck off whore.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 6:03 PM

"There is absolutely NO need for record stores with the internet, NONE."

D might be a dickhead, but this is 100% true. Spare yourself the grief, and just open a social club. After all, it's what you really want.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 8:33 PM

I'm glad that there's no price gouging on Ebay, Discogs , & Amazon. Plus what I save in sales tax I spend more on shipping.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:24 PM

6:03pm is so tough behind a computer screen.

@10:24pm online shopping frees up time, saves you from having to make two subway trips if you have to make them to go to the store ($4.50 roundtrip if you can't afford the $112 monthly pass.) Again the seller makes more money. $4.50 subway fare > cost of mailing a 7" ep numbnuts.

Only a fucking idiot sells a record for $15 in a record store when he could get more than $15 on Ebay or Discogs esp. Ebay.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Ha, you ride the train.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2014 11:27 PM

I see. You'd rather pay more (or perhaps less - Bleeker Bob's was the worst concerning gouging) for the convenience of not leaving your house. I agree with you during holidays & buying directly from bands/labels cuts out the middle man. I have found some rather unfortunate record grading online that a physical record store nullifies.

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2014 12:00 AM