Recent Posts in SXSW - Page 6
March 21, 2007
DOWNLOAD: The Gossip - Listen Up! (MP3)
'Illinois' & playmates @ the Playboy party, SXSW - March 15, 2007
I wouldn't have normally passed up the opportunity to see The Gossip and Voxtrot back-to-back (Thursday, March 15, 2007 - Kork showcase @ Emo's, SXSW), but majority rules, and in this case the majority of the group I was with at dinner that night couldn't get in to the show - so instead we found ourselves at the annual Playboy party. It was held at a TV studio-turned-party-space that was full of free food, free alcohol, free cigarettes, Playboy memorabilia, media, rock fans, and socialites. The music-loving mayor of Austin was even there.
Of course four Playboy playmates were walking around, hosting, introducting bands, and posing for pictures. They were dressed in semi-revealing bunny suits.
Ironically, Beth Ditto of the Gossip was back at Emo's showing even more skin.
OK, I exxagerated the "naked" part - Beth Ditto @ SXSW - March 15, 2007 (CRED)
You go girl. More below...
Public Enemy @ SXSW - March 16, 2007 (CRED)
Hip Hop @ SXSW
- Prefix Magazine has videos and pictures of Redman's set at the Fader Fort. Monsters&Critics reviews the show.
- James took some great pictures of the Rakim showcase.
- Some great photos here of Public Enemy's fantastic SXSW concert. Still rocking a crowd of 12,000 after 20 years. AngryCitizen reviews.
- A selection of other great photos from Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, C-Rayz, El-P, Rakim & Ghostface's showcases here. El-P show review here
- Spankrock in action can be found here and here, Pidgeon John here (+ review), and UGK here.
El-P @ SXSW - March 16, 2007 (CRED)
- West Coast rap crew Jurassic 5 officially broke up.
- The Beastie Boys speak on returning this summer with an album and a tour.
- Oshino Sparks is pleading with Jay-Z to clear a sample so he can eat.
- Redman in a great speaks on his new album, label business and more in one of the more intelligent and entertaining interviews in recent history by any rapper. Great to see someone take responsibility for his own career instead of whining about other people getting more attention.
- TI discusses new album, which will have features from Eminem, Timbaland, Lil' Wayne, and more.
- Check out this fascinating read on how to save old rap music from dying off.
- The Rap Up has a great freestyle by Joe Budden. When is Def Jam finally going to unleash him?
- Check out a few EL-P tracks from his new album I'll Sleep When You're Dead here. Read a 4.5/5 HipHopSite review of the album here (most reliable review site for hip hop hands down). Pitchfork also reviews, and the Village Voice does a feature. Also listen to Chuck D interviewing El-Producto on Air America.
- Download a fantastic 2 disc James Brown mixtape by DJ Premier here. Via Idolator.
- NWA Day! Watch this hilarious video. I can't really explain it.
- Redman performing 'Tonight's The Night' @ SXSW. Watch here.
Then Gabo hung with Devin @ SXSW.
"Wayne Coyne conducted a series of impromptu on-camera interviews and observations during this year’s SXSW, they will be broadcast on Thursday’s epsiode of the Tonight Show." [Bumpershine]
Wayne Coyne & Leslie @ SXSW - March 15, 2007 (CRED)
"The Great White Way will never be the same: In an exclusive interview, Wayne Coyne, lead singer of the Flaming Lips, told EW.com that the psych-rock band will team up with acclaimed TV writer and show creator Aaron Sorkin to turn the group's 2002 album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots into a Broadway musical." [Entertainment Weekly]
Flaming Lips Tour Dates below...
Fujiya & Miyagi (three guys from the UK) played Mercury Lounge in NYC last night (March 20, 2007). It was their 3rd of three NYC shows, and it was seriously awesome. You couldn't help, but dance, and cheer, and just love them.
New Violators opened, but I missed them because I was over seeing David & The Citizens and Bang Gang at Canal Room. On my wait out of Mercury Lounge I heard mixed reviews - some hated New Violators, some loved them. Both sides tended to agree that they sound a lot like a cover band.
Another pic, and other stuff below...
This happened not long after I left, Todd P, SXSW - Mar 15, 2007 (CRED)
I came so close to seeing Spank Rock so many times at SXSW this year. One time was when he played the late night Todd P party (see above). I was there, but got too tired and left before he went on. Another time was at the Iheartcomix party at Blue Genie that got shut down an hour after starting. The cops kept me from Spank Rock that time. A third time was a party at the Scoot Inn that I just ended up not going to, AND I sort of tried to get Spank Rock to play both of my day parties, but that just didn't work out....SO, I'm gonna try not to miss his show May 15th at the new 800-capacity Highland Ballroom in the Meatpacking District in NYC. Tickets are on sale. The only other show he has right now is April 29th @ Coachella. No tour dates below.
March 20, 2007
The Stooges @ Waterloo Records, Austin, TX - March 16, 2007 (CRED)
"Like Moz fronting an early 80's new-wave band" [Torr]
SXSW day shows are what they are. My Thursday day show with AAM during SXSW this year (March 15, 2007) was in a semi-remote location on a week day, and up against a zillion other day shows going on at the same time. That said, the show was a huge success, but not that many people showed up right at noon when we started. That's when Norway's New Violators went on - right at noon, but they handled it really well. They mostly spoke in Norweigian so it was hard to understand, but I think they were joking a little at how silly the whole thing seemed.
All I could think about during their set was how much fun it would be to see them fully awake, at midnight, and at a packed club full of drunk dancing people (myself included). Then again, it was awesome that we were getting our own private show right there outside in Texas at the Scoot Inn.
Anyway, they were great, but you probably won't think so if you get too caught up on WHO the band sounds like. Instead just enjoy their catchy-dancey-big-synth-eighties sound. They're completely "fun", amusing, talented, and they have the charisma - even if at times they seem just like a really good cover band (listen @ MySpace).
I didn't see any of their other SXSW or NYC shows so far, but I'm hoping to catch them at least one more time while they're in NYC this week - and hopefully next time at something like a Mother f*cker party, or Studio B or something.
New Violators play again tonight (March 20) @ Mercury Lounge, and tomorrow (March 21) @ Pianos. More pics below...
The Young Knives @ Friends, SXSW - March 16, 2007 (CRED)
As you can see in the picture above, the UK's The Young Knives made it to SXSW last week. They were supposed to play NYC earlier this month, but never made it due to visa issues. One of their shows was supposed to be with the View at Luna Lounge. The View had to cancel for visa issues too. The Young Knives rescheduled for tonight (March 20), and are playing a total of three NYC shows this week. The View will be back in May. All tour dates below....