Recent Posts in SXSW - Page 6
March 22, 2007
Yo Majesty @ Creekside, Austin, TX (SXSW) - March 15, 2007 (CRED)
And so it seems everyone is getting undressed lately - Of Montreal, The Gossip, Har Mar Superstar, Girl Talk, and....well, keep reading for NSFW shots from Yo Majesty's recent shows in Brooklyn and at SXSW....
I thought Jamie T was going to be sitting on a stool with a guitar, or sort of rapping, but actually he was energetic and playing with a full band. Not bad, though I only saw a few songs. One of them being "Stella" which I know the best.
I saw him at The Fader Fort at SXSW on March 16, 2007. That's where these pictures are from. Last night (March 21) he played Mercury Lounge in NYC. What was that like?
March 21, 2007
Fader hosted their usual impressive series of day shows at SXSW this year. The Western themed venue was called the Fader Fort, and it had tons of (mostly sponsored) rooms and pasageways that you could get lost in before letting out into a huge courtyard where the bands and DJs were playing. There was even an almost-naked, but not-a-cowboy hipster mascot....
Har Mar Superstar @ Fader, SXSW, March 16, 2007
Beth Ditto is also secure with her body.
The cult of Girl Talk @ Diesel party, SXSW - March 16, 2007
Girl Talk was all over SXSW. I didn't even try to see him, but ended up catching him twice. Once was at the Diesel-U-Music party on Friday night (March 16, 2007). It was where I went after the Iheartcomix party was busted. He went on right after Tokyo Police Club who went on after Matt & Kim.
Cult leader @ Diesel party, SXSW - March 16, 2007
The other time I saw Girl Talk was at the PACKED Pitchfork day party on the main stage of Emo's. Diesel had much more breathing room.
It's still unclear whether the mayor of Austin caught any Girl Talk shows at SXSW this year, but I'm sure Pennsylvania Congressman Mike Doyle would have been dancing on the stage had he been in Texas.
And had Girl Talk played the Playboy party, the mayor would have been sure to have seen Greg Gillis too. I'm actually surprised Playboy didn't book him now that I know he'll actually be making an appearance in their very own sister (brother?) publication...
First off, let's burst a few bubbles by mentioning that while Gillis will appear in an upcoming issue of Playgirl (specifically the "Man of the Year" issue), "he will be shirtless, in jean shorts and hightops...and doing air kicks," according to his publicist. In other words, if you've ever been to a Girl Talk show, you've probably seen more Gillis skin than Playgirl's readership. Be proud. [Pitchfork]Oh well.
DOWNLOAD: The Gossip - Listen Up! (MP3)
'Illinois' & playmates @ the Playboy party, SXSW - March 15, 2007
I wouldn't have normally passed up the opportunity to see The Gossip and Voxtrot back-to-back (Thursday, March 15, 2007 - Kork showcase @ Emo's, SXSW), but majority rules, and in this case the majority of the group I was with at dinner that night couldn't get in to the show - so instead we found ourselves at the annual Playboy party. It was held at a TV studio-turned-party-space that was full of free food, free alcohol, free cigarettes, Playboy memorabilia, media, rock fans, and socialites. The music-loving mayor of Austin was even there.
Of course four Playboy playmates were walking around, hosting, introducting bands, and posing for pictures. They were dressed in semi-revealing bunny suits.
Ironically, Beth Ditto of the Gossip was back at Emo's showing even more skin.
OK, I exxagerated the "naked" part - Beth Ditto @ SXSW - March 15, 2007 (CRED)
You go girl. More below...
Public Enemy @ SXSW - March 16, 2007 (CRED)
Hip Hop @ SXSW
- Prefix Magazine has videos and pictures of Redman's set at the Fader Fort. Monsters&Critics reviews the show.
- James took some great pictures of the Rakim showcase.
- Some great photos here of Public Enemy's fantastic SXSW concert. Still rocking a crowd of 12,000 after 20 years. AngryCitizen reviews.
- A selection of other great photos from Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, C-Rayz, El-P, Rakim & Ghostface's showcases here. El-P show review here
- Spankrock in action can be found here and here, Pidgeon John here (+ review), and UGK here.
El-P @ SXSW - March 16, 2007 (CRED)
- West Coast rap crew Jurassic 5 officially broke up.
- The Beastie Boys speak on returning this summer with an album and a tour.
- Oshino Sparks is pleading with Jay-Z to clear a sample so he can eat.
- Redman in a great speaks on his new album, label business and more in one of the more intelligent and entertaining interviews in recent history by any rapper. Great to see someone take responsibility for his own career instead of whining about other people getting more attention.
- TI discusses new album, which will have features from Eminem, Timbaland, Lil' Wayne, and more.
- Check out this fascinating read on how to save old rap music from dying off.
- The Rap Up has a great freestyle by Joe Budden. When is Def Jam finally going to unleash him?
- Check out a few EL-P tracks from his new album I'll Sleep When You're Dead here. Read a 4.5/5 HipHopSite review of the album here (most reliable review site for hip hop hands down). Pitchfork also reviews, and the Village Voice does a feature. Also listen to Chuck D interviewing El-Producto on Air America.
- Download a fantastic 2 disc James Brown mixtape by DJ Premier here. Via Idolator.
- NWA Day! Watch this hilarious video. I can't really explain it.
- Redman performing 'Tonight's The Night' @ SXSW. Watch here.
Then Gabo hung with Devin @ SXSW.
"Wayne Coyne conducted a series of impromptu on-camera interviews and observations during this year’s SXSW, they will be broadcast on Thursday’s epsiode of the Tonight Show." [Bumpershine]
Wayne Coyne & Leslie @ SXSW - March 15, 2007 (CRED)
"The Great White Way will never be the same: In an exclusive interview, Wayne Coyne, lead singer of the Flaming Lips, told EW.com that the psych-rock band will team up with acclaimed TV writer and show creator Aaron Sorkin to turn the group's 2002 album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots into a Broadway musical." [Entertainment Weekly]
Flaming Lips Tour Dates below...
Fujiya & Miyagi (three guys from the UK) played Mercury Lounge in NYC last night (March 20, 2007). It was their 3rd of three NYC shows, and it was seriously awesome. You couldn't help, but dance, and cheer, and just love them.
New Violators opened, but I missed them because I was over seeing David & The Citizens and Bang Gang at Canal Room. On my wait out of Mercury Lounge I heard mixed reviews - some hated New Violators, some loved them. Both sides tended to agree that they sound a lot like a cover band.
Another pic, and other stuff below...
This happened not long after I left, Todd P, SXSW - Mar 15, 2007 (CRED)
I came so close to seeing Spank Rock so many times at SXSW this year. One time was when he played the late night Todd P party (see above). I was there, but got too tired and left before he went on. Another time was at the Iheartcomix party at Blue Genie that got shut down an hour after starting. The cops kept me from Spank Rock that time. A third time was a party at the Scoot Inn that I just ended up not going to, AND I sort of tried to get Spank Rock to play both of my day parties, but that just didn't work out....SO, I'm gonna try not to miss his show May 15th at the new 800-capacity Highland Ballroom in the Meatpacking District in NYC. Tickets are on sale. The only other show he has right now is April 29th @ Coachella. No tour dates below.