Entries tagged with: Bowerbirds
Bowerbirds @ Lincoln Hall in March (more by Sarah Frankie Linder)
Since releasing their new album, The Clearing, in March, Raleigh, NC's Bowerbirds have been touring hard in support of it. They've only got a few shows left to play this year, one of which is a performance at Evanston, IL's SPACE on November 12. Local singer-songwriter Rebecca Rego will open the show, and advance tickets are on sale.
Though The Clearing may not be as raw and stripped-down as their 2009 album Upper Air, the LP definitely holds its own. If you haven't heard it yet, take a listen to The Clearing via Spotify. Don't worry, their folkie aesthetic is still present.
All Bowerbirds tour dates and a video are below...
Dry the River @ Lincoln Hall in March (more by Sarah Frankie Linder)
Dry the River, who recently visited Lincoln Hall on tour with Bowerbirds, are headed back to Chicago to play the Beat Kitchen on May 24 as part of a headlining run of their own. Advance tickets are on sale. Dry the River (and Bowerbirds too, actually) are also included on the lineup of Lollapalooza 2012. All known 2012 tour dates, below...
photos by Sarah Frankie Linder, words by Rachel Angres
Bowerbirds @ Lincoln Hall
Following an energetic set by opening band Dry The River, I sensed some disjointedness as the Bowerbirds began their headlining performance at Lincoln Hall on 3/29. The stage was somber - in mood and lighting. The first few songs seemed hurried; Beth switched from keys to accordion as if it was a game of "capture the flag." Phil Moore sang in his own timing, as the percussion rushed the songs into an abrupt ending.
Eventually, seemingly after realizing how loyal and forgiving the fans were, all five members of Bowerbirds loosened up. Backing up Beth Tacular and Moore was a demure cellist, drummer and bassist. Each of the members' faces was still and tranquil as the enchanting harmonics of Beth's voice soothed the rugged tenor of her counterpart - and real-life love - Philip Moore.
Phil, as lead vocalist and guitarist, did not say much between songs. He mentioned that he was from Iowa, almost begrudgingly; some audience members cheered while others empathized. "I have not been happy playing a show every night for months straight, but tonight - here in Chicago - I am happy," Phil said with sincerity.
At least a half a dozen times during the bucolic and joyous set, they mentioned the recent release of their latest record, The Clearing, as if to forewarn the audience that they may not recognize the sound. In fact, it was not the popular track "Northern Lights" off their debut album Upper Air that riled up the crowd the most, but a simple and elegant song titled "Stitch The Hem" from The Clearing that excited people most.
More pictures from the Chicago show below...
Bowerbirds @ NYC's Bowery Ballroom in 2010 (more by Laura Leebove)
today in Chicago
* CULT @ Berlin
* Anna Fermin @ SPACE
* Pulsar Quartet @ The Whistler
* Bowerbirds, Dry The River @ Lincoln Hall
* Mind Spiders, Magic Milk @ The Burlington
* Housse de Racket, Rites, GlassLux @ Empty Bottle
* Bottomless Pit, Police Teeth, Fake Limbs @ Quenchers
* Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors, Nathan Angelo @ Schubas
* The Flashbulb, Sich Mang, Widman, Time Nice @ Smart Bar
* Kirkland, Lights Alive, The Flips, The Avantist @ Subterranean
* Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds, How Far To Austin @ Martyrs
* Rollo Tomasi, Werepire Day, Witch Feet, Jared Grabb @ Township
* Jip, Circus Bear, She Speaks In Tongues, Names Divine @ Ultra Lounge
* The Copyrights, Masked Intruder, Sore Subjects, Deth Warrant @ Beat Kitchen
* Hunx And His Punx, Heavy Cream, The Artist Formally Known As Vince, Absolutely Not @ Double Door
* Peter and the Test Tube Babies, I Love Rich, Modern Day Rippers, The Cenobites, Kobanes @ Reggie's
Bowerbirds and Dry The River play Lincoln Hall tonight.
Housse de Rackett, Rites, and GlassLux hit the bottle.
Get down and dirty with Hunx And His Punx at the Double Door. He also hosts CULT.
Check out some great live footage of Magic Milk, shot by Gonzo Chicago, below. They play The Burlington tonight with Mind Spiders.
Corrosion of Conformity @ Gramercy Theater (NYC) (more by Di Lynn Ring)
today in Chicago
* Scattered Trees, Santah @ Schubas
* Night Terrors, Deep Sleep @ The Whistler
* The Atlas Stone, Unwritten Truth @ Ultra Lounge
* Pillars and Tongues, Julie Bryne @ The Burlington
* Labirinto, Gentlemen's Guild, Rocket Miner, Horrses @ Bottom Lounge
* Anchorman vs. Talladega Nights @ Lincoln Hall
* The Sueves, Uh Bones, Rainbow Gun Show, The Funs @ Empty Bottle
* Bricklayers Foundation, Secret XYZ, Cat Or Mouse, Chief Ghoul @ Township
* The Head and the Heart, Drew Grow and the Pastors' Wives @ the Vic (Night 1)
* Corrosion of Conformity, Torche, Valient Thorr, A Storm of Light @ Double Door
Beach House posted a new song titled "Myth" to their website last night. Listen below.
The Head and the Heart play their first of two shows at the Vic tonight.
Bowerbirds have a new video for "Tuck the Darkness In." Check it out below.
Other Lives @ The Parish in Austin, TX in June (more by Tim Griffin)
today in Chicago
* Bonerama @ SPACE
* Gigantour @ Aragon Ballroom
* Other Lives, WIM @ Lincoln Hall
* K Flay, ADD-2, Rita J. @ Subterranean
* A-Trak, Gun Love, Mayhem @ The Mid
* Lacuna Coil, I:Scintilla @ Cobra Lounge
* Brian Posehn @ UP (Early & Late Shows)
* Soft Speaker, Sissy Mena @ Beat Kitchen
* Ingram Hill, Matt Duke, Mikey Wax @ Schubas
* Cowboy Mouth, Miles Nielsen @ House of Blues
* Bill MacKay, No Room for Squares @ The Whistler
* Rabid Rabbit, Picastro, Jonathan Krohn @ Township
* Netherfriends, Secret Colours, Vamos @ Empty Bottle
* Geronimo!, Inspector Owl, Deserters @ The Burlington
* White Mystery, Univox, T'bone, LionLimb @ Treasure Town
* Judson Claiborn, Eiren Caffall, The Counterpane @ Hideout
* Red Bull Music Academy: Chicago Sessions @ Metro/Smart Bar
* List of Strangers, Downfall of Society, Let's Be Honest @ Stage Bar
* Cadillac Duke, Auggie the 9th, The Whoevers, Black Matt @ Ultra Lounge
Watch a six-minute mini documentary on the making of Bowerbirds' new LP, below.
Gigantour (Megadeth, Motorhead, Volbeat, Lacuna Coil) hits the Aragon tonight.
Frankie Knuckles headlines Metro tonight, as part of the Red Bull Music Academy: Chicago Sessions.
Lee Ranaldo has a new video for "Off the Wall." Check it out below.
Bowerbirds are set to release their new LP titled The Clearing, on March 6th via Dead Oceans.
The Clearing is more than a third record for the Bowerbirds. Between 2009's Upper Air and this one, Beth nearly died after a mysterious illness that put her in the hospital. They rescued and adopted a dog that ran beneath their tour van's tires. Beth and Phil even ended their long relationship but began it again after realizing that, despite their own shortcomings, they didn't want to be with anyone else. Mostly, though, they returned to their cabin in the woods of North Carolina to nest--to make soup and walk dogs, to make art and write songs, to realize that this was their life and find contentment in it. For the Bowerbirds, The Clearing represents the perfect realization of a fresh, timely outlook.Download the album's first single "Tuck The Darkness In" via BrooklynVegan.
Shortly after The Clearing is released, the band will kick off a 2012 tour that hits Lincoln Hall on March 29th. Tickets go on sale this Friday (12/9), at noon CST.
Head below for the album's full tracklisting, and all 2012 tour dates..