Entries tagged with: Frankie Knuckles
James Murphy on SS Coachella 2012 (more by Greg Cristman)
As discussed, the second annual Wavefront Music Festival is set to take place from July 5-7 at Montrose Beach. The fest, which features Nicolas Jaar, Diplo, Justice, and many others, have announced the second wave of their lineup. The additions include Fatboy Slim, Frankie Knuckles, and a slew of DFA Records artists -- James Murhpy, Holy Ghost, Pat Mahoney, Nancy Wang, and Shit Robot. Three-day passes and single-day tickets are still available.
Today, Red Bull Music Academy unveiled a short documentary about DFA to celebrate the label's 12th anniversary. You can watch 12 Years of DFA: Too Old To Be New, Too New To Be Classic, which is narrated by Marc Maron, and check out the full Wavefront Music Festival lineup below...
today in Chicago
* Bullet Hell, Vertonen, James Connolly @ The Burlington
* Chapter 24, Blind Shake, The Larroquettes @ Empty Bottle
* Chicago Sounds in the '80s @ Museum of Contemporary Art
* Korallreven, Young Magic, How To Dress Well (DJ set) @ Schubas
* St. Bagu, Old Black and Blue Eyes, Samantha, Arbogast, Blast Off @ Double Door
* Mountains for Clouds, I Know Everything, Artificial Heroes, It's Just Vanity @ Township
Korallreven (members of The Radio Dept.) make their Chicago debut tonight at Schubas, with support from Young Magic and How To Dress Well (DJ set).
Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis speak with Frankie Knuckles, Chris Connelly, and Santiago Durango at the Museum of Contemporary Art.
Disappears have a new video for "Replicate." Check it out below.
Other Lives @ The Parish in Austin, TX in June (more by Tim Griffin)
today in Chicago
* Bonerama @ SPACE
* Gigantour @ Aragon Ballroom
* Other Lives, WIM @ Lincoln Hall
* K Flay, ADD-2, Rita J. @ Subterranean
* A-Trak, Gun Love, Mayhem @ The Mid
* Lacuna Coil, I:Scintilla @ Cobra Lounge
* Brian Posehn @ UP (Early & Late Shows)
* Soft Speaker, Sissy Mena @ Beat Kitchen
* Ingram Hill, Matt Duke, Mikey Wax @ Schubas
* Cowboy Mouth, Miles Nielsen @ House of Blues
* Bill MacKay, No Room for Squares @ The Whistler
* Rabid Rabbit, Picastro, Jonathan Krohn @ Township
* Netherfriends, Secret Colours, Vamos @ Empty Bottle
* Geronimo!, Inspector Owl, Deserters @ The Burlington
* White Mystery, Univox, T'bone, LionLimb @ Treasure Town
* Judson Claiborn, Eiren Caffall, The Counterpane @ Hideout
* Red Bull Music Academy: Chicago Sessions @ Metro/Smart Bar
* List of Strangers, Downfall of Society, Let's Be Honest @ Stage Bar
* Cadillac Duke, Auggie the 9th, The Whoevers, Black Matt @ Ultra Lounge
Watch a six-minute mini documentary on the making of Bowerbirds' new LP, below.
Gigantour (Megadeth, Motorhead, Volbeat, Lacuna Coil) hits the Aragon tonight.
Frankie Knuckles headlines Metro tonight, as part of the Red Bull Music Academy: Chicago Sessions.
Lee Ranaldo has a new video for "Off the Wall." Check it out below.
The traveling Red Bull Music Academy hits Chicago tomorrow (2/10), for an all-building event at Metro/Smart Bar, starting at 10PM.
Frankie Knuckles, who will speak on House music at the MCA in March, will headline the show with support from: Michael Serafini, DJ Spin, Charlie Glitch, DJ Rashard, Rampage, DJ Slugo, Maddjazz, and DJ Deeon. Cheaper advance tickets are on sale now or you can pay a bit more at the door.
Tomorrow's big kick-off event aside, The RBMA will also be throwing four additional shows downstairs at Smart Bar throughout the next month..
02-16 Fort Knox Five, Intel, Maker and DJ Merk 1.Smart Bar are offering FREE admission to all four events before 11PM, if you flash that specific day's "daily tweet" at the door.
02-23 Nguzunguzu, Supreme Cuts (Live), Bizzies, Sparkletone and Jake Guidry.
03-01 Lunice, Ruckus, DJ The Tornado and Jeff Pietro.
03-08 Ana Sia, Lobounce, DJ Belly and Tylr.
Some Frankie Knuckles videos, below..
Sound Opinions co-hosts Jim DeRogatis and Greg Kot will pick apart some of Chicago's most influential musical movements of the 80s, when they sit down with three very special guests at the Museum of Contemporary Art on March 6th for a round-table discussion.
"Chicago Sounds in the 80s: Underground Incubator" will feature Chris Connelly (Revolting Cocks, Ministry), 'Godfather of House' DJ Frankie Knuckles, and Santiago Durango (Naked Raygun, Big Black) in a conversation about the music and politics of the decade.
The MCA are presenting the discussion in conjunction with their "This Will Have Been: Art, Love & Politics in the 1980s" exhibition, which you can receive a complimentary tour of after the event.