Entries tagged with: Freelance Whales
Chelsea Wolfe @ Lincoln Hall in August (more by Zach Pollack)
As mentioned, the 2013 edition of Tomorrow Never Knows is slated to take place from January 16-20 at venues throughout the city. More acts have now been added to the festival, some to existing shows and some as brand new events.
One of those brand new shows is the stacked lineup of Chelsea Wolfe, The Amazing, and King Dude at Schubas on January 19. Ms. Wolfe made her Chicago debut at Lincoln Hall this summer, and recently released the great Unknown Rooms: A Collection Of Acoustic Songs via Sargent House. She's got an electric, full-band album coming soon. Sweden's The Amazing welcomed their Gentle Stream LP last month in the US via Partisan Records. They're currently supporting Tame Impala on tour and will be in Chicago on November 13 to play Metro. King Dude (aka TJ Cowgill) released his new album, Burning Daylight, in October via DAIS. He'll embark on a North American tour this weekend, which is set to reach Chicago on December 12 for a performance at the Empty Bottle. Tickets for Chelsea Wolfe, The Amazing, and King Dude go on sale this Friday (11/9) at noon CST.
As mentioned, The Walkmen, who played Metro as part of TNK 2012, will be playing the Vic with Father John Misty on January 18. That show is now part of Tomorrow Never Knows, with limited availability for 5-Day Pass holders. Speaking of 5-day passes, they are still available.
Stay tuned for more Tomorrow Never Knows 2013 updates.
As mentioned, the 2013 edition of the Tomorrow Never Knows Festival is slated to take place at Lincoln Hall, Schubas, Metro, Smart Bar, and the Hideout from January 16 - 20. The initial lineup for the winter festival has been shared, and features some of the most highly-anticipated new artists. A few of those artists will be making their Chicago debuts during the fest, and some will simply be making return trips to our city.
The initial schedule-by-date is as follows:
JANUARY 16Discounted five-day presale passes are now sold out. More festival passes, and all the individual tickets linked above, go on sale Friday at noon.
Born Ruffians, Night Moves, Future Monarchs & guest @ Lincoln Hall (Tickets)
Freelance Whales, Snowmine, and guests @ Lincoln Hall (Tickets)
Jessie Ware, Kriz Baronia, and guests @ Lincoln Hall (Tickets)
today in Chicago
* Erasure @ Congress Theater
* Gypsyblood, Man/Miracle @ Hideout
* Zedd, Midnight Conspiracy @ The Mid
* Tapes 'n Tapes, Howler @ Lincoln Hall
* World Music Festival @ Various Venues (Day 2)
* Active Child, Chad Valley, Magic Key @ Schubas
* Kings Go Forth, Soul Summit DJs @ Double Door
* Grouplove, Young Man, Deserters @ Subterranean
* Brilliant Corners of Popular Amusements @ Eckhart Park (Day 1)
* The Cell Phones, Fake Limbs, Right on Dynomite, Nightdogs @ Quenchers
* The Fur Coats, Finishing School, Two Houses, Lights Over Bridgeport @ Panchos
* Lucky Shot 7, The Ridgelands, Cenobites, After The Fight, Dead on TV @ Memories
* Fugitive family, Salem Bitch Trials, The Ovens, The Involuntaries, KNiF!, Dirty Surgeon Insurgency @ Tenoch Tattoo
Congrats to our Active Child contest winners!
The inaugural year of Brilliant Corners of Popular Amusements starts tonight.
World Music Festival continues throughout the city; even at Brilliant Corners.
We'll be hopping around events all weekend, follow @bvChicago on Twitter..
Foo Fighters played Conan with special guest Bob Mould last night. Video below.
Stay tuned for more events in our Weekend Show Roundup.
Vivian Girls @ Emo's in Austin, TX (more by Tim Griffin)
today in Chicago
* Marissa Nadler @ Saki
* Vivian Girls @ Permanent Records
* Vivian Girls, Widowspeak, Nones @ Empty Bottle
* James Vincent McMorrow, Marissa Nadler @ Hideout
* Paul Baribeau, Sarah Palin & The Mavericks @ The Juicer
* Nightdogs, Right on Dynamite @ The Whistler (Free Show)
* Ume, Elusive Parallelograms, Health & Beauty @ Beat Kitchen
* Local H, AM Taxi, The Last Vegas @ Double Door (Free Show)
* MC Chris, MC Lars, Mega Ran, Adam WarRock @ Subterranean
* Wizardcastle, Cask, Of Wolves, Sealed in Silence @ Ultra Lounge
* The Laureates, The Canoes, Blessed Feathers @ Bottom Lounge
* This Magazine Is Haunted, Eiffel Tower, The Webstirs @ Panchos
* Occidental Brothers Dance Band International @ Grant Park
* Tommy Keene, Doug Gillard, Sally Crew and The Sudden Moves @ Schubas
* Antony Ablan and The Tramps, The Soil and the Sun, Mike Golden, Jacob Bullard @ Lincoln Hall
* Qwel and Maker, The Highest Low, Drunken Monkeee, State Champs, The Whoevers @ Memories
Doug Gillard of Guided By Voices is in town with Tommy Keene tonight.
The World Music Festival begins today.
Follow @bvChicago on Twitter.
Yellow Ostrich have a new video for "Whale." Check it out below. They'll be in Chicago on November 18th supporting Ra Ra Riot at Metro.
Freelance Whales @ Newport Folk Festival 2011 (more by Jim Brueckner)
Eventbrite's Concert Confidential is a simultaneous, multi-city event that consists of surpise free shows in NYC, LA, San Francisco, Dallas, and our very own Chicago this coming Saturday (9/17).
Freelance Whales will play the Chicago show at
a TBA venue EMPTY BOTTLE. Chicago's RSVP will be open starting Wednesday night (really Thursday morning - 9/15) at 12:01AM CST. If you get a confirmation email to the 21+ event, you then need to print out your ticket (instructions in your confirmation) and be one of the first 400 people to show up. Doors will be at 6:30PM / Show at 7PM.
The NYC show, which was curated and co-produced by BrooklynVegan, will take place at Manhattan venue Beekman Beer Garden with The Hold Steady and one more band TBA. Tickets go "on sale" at the same time (EST).
Each event will be accepting donations for a different charity based in that area. Chicago's show will highlight our friends Rock for Kids, a local not-for-profit organization focused on funding the lack of musical education in Chicago's schools. Please donate if you're able. Check out a trailer of what they strive to do below.
Good luck getting in!
Foals @ Music Hall of Williamsburg in 2010 (more by Leia Jospe)
today in Chicago
* Joan of Arc @ MoCA
* Lil B @ House of Blues
* Foals, Freelance Whales, The Naked and Famous @ Metro
* Asteroid #4, Secret Colours, The Red Plastic Buddha, Dark Fog @ Empty Bottle
* Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Koo Koo Kanga Roo, Bigcolour @ Lincoln Hall