Entries tagged with: The Weeknd
Speaking of How to Dress Well, he's featured in the first episode of a new Red Bull-produced online documentary series...
In this first episode of H?SHTAG$, we take a look at the current renaissance of contemporary R&B in the "always-on" age, featuring former half of The Weeknd, Jeremy 'Zodiac' Rose, How To Dress Well, Miguel, Rochelle Jordan, KLSH, BadBadNotGood, and more. How has the Internet inspired and galvanized this new breed of artists? Have online communities and media been too quick to label genres and movements? What does the future hold for the many strains of the R&B genre?Watch the 12 minute episode below...
H?SHTAG$ is a new series of mini-documentaries from the Red Bull Music Academy, chronicling some of the most fascinating themes emerging from the web in recent times, from #cloudrap to #seapunk, #postdubstep to #advancedpop.
Tickets for The Weeknd's September 21 show at the Congress Theater go on sale this Saturday (8/18) at 10AM CST.
Tickets for Yakuza's record release show on October 16 at the Empty Bottle go on sale today at 10AM.
Tickets for Regina Spektor and Old Son's October 17 show at The Chicago Theatre go on sale this Saturday at 10AM CST. A JAM presale will be active from 10AM-10PM today; the password is spegina.
Tickets for Ben Gibbard and Advance Base's November 2 show at the Athenaeum Theater go on sale today at noon.
Tickets for Matthew Dear and Light Asylum's November 6 show at Lincoln Hall go on sale today at noon.
Tickets for Tame Impala and The Amazing's December 13 show at Metro go on sale today at noon.
The Weeknd @ Music Hall of Williamsburg in April (BKLYN) (more by Bao Nguyen)
In-demand R&B singer The Weeknd (aka Abel Tesfaye), who performed at Lollapalooza earlier this month, is beginning to announce a fall North American run. After a couple of September tour dates with Florence & the Machine (they also play a few more in October together), Abel and co. will visit Chicago on September 21 for a performance at the Congress Theater. Tickets go on sale this Saturday (8/18) at 10AM CST.
All known Weeknd dates and a stream of his Echoes Of Silence mixtape are below...
UPDATE: Full tour below...
Lollapalooza 2011 (more by Grant MacAllister)
Especially if you're in Chicago, you may have started to notice "#LOLLA" ads, like this one (which references lyrics from Santigold's "L.E.S. Artistes")...
As CoS points out, across the web and CTA public transit system, there have been sightings of ads just like the above for Jack White, Sigur Ros(!), Justice, The Weeknd, Bloc Party, M83, Die Antwoord, Twin Shadow, The Shins, The Black Keys, The Big Pink, Wale, Washed Out, and Kimbra. Those are just some of the artists rumored to be playing the festival that takes place from August 3-5 in Grant Park.
What about reunited band of the moment At The Drive-In? Time will tell if we get them at Lolla, but meanwhile you can get your Omar Rodriguez-Lopez fix with Le Butcherettes, who visit Chicago for two shows in early-June. He's now a full-time member of that band.
Marketa Irglova @ MusicFestNW (more by Autumn Andel)
today in Chicago
* Kid Rock, Ty Stone @ House of Blues
* Gaiser, Funk Shui, Fortune @ Smart Bar
* Marketa Irglova, Sean Rowe @ Lincoln Hall
* The Kooks, YAWN, The Postelles @ the Vic
* Umphrey's McGee, Cornmeal @ Aragon Ballroom
* Leo Nocentelli, The Meters Experience @ SPACE
* The Burrows Four, Halfmoon Mad, JIP @ Panchos
* Deep Cricket Knight, The Earth Program @ Hideout
* John Doe, Amy LaVere @ Old Town School of Folk Music
* Cianide, Johnny Vomit, Cardiac Arrest, Bones @ Empty Bottle
* Steve Angello, An21, Max Vangeli, Size Matters @ Congress Theater
* The Infected, Dead Town Revival, Turbo Vamps, The Horrids @ Ultra Lounge
* Peter Murphy, She Wants Revenge, Hussle Club, DJ Scary Lady Sarah @ Metro
* Tandoori Knights, Bloodshot Bill, Nobunny, Outer Minds, Radar Eyes @ Bottom Lounge
* Tommy & The High Pilots, The Super Happy Fun Club, South Jordan, State And Madison @ Beat Kitchen
The Weeknd have a new video for the House of Balloons track "The Knowing." Check it out below.
What did you end up buying at Record Store Day's Black Friday sale?