Elvis Perkins in Dearland @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC | pics
I’m warming up to Elvis Perkins. I still haven’t listened to the album that Jerry says is one the best of the year, and I wasn’t as blown away by his live show as much as others I know, but maybe I just wasn’t in the mood Saturday night (July 1, 2006) for that, as MOKB puts it, “soothing, warming, yet heartwrenching brand of folk pop/rock”.
1) He sounds just like John Darnielle at (a lot of) times.
2) He’s good at playing guitar, harmonica, and singing all at the same time – like Dylan, like Ounsworth.
3) His brother Oz Perkins played Dorky David Kidney in Legally Blonde.
4) Parts of one of his songs sound like a song in Dirty Dancing.
5) His dad is Anthony.
6) Upright bass and big drums are fun.
7) There were more people at the show for Elvis Perkins than for Matt Costa who was headlining (I left too).
8) Any day now we’ll find out which label is putting out Elvis’ record.
Openers The Little Ones were great. They’re ultimately what got me to this show, but that’s for another post…
Elvis Perkins @ Sasquatch! 2006