Gary Numan still stuck – all 3 US shows probably cancelled
Gary Numan was set to play Coachella this weekend and then additional sold out shows in both LA and San Francisco while visiting. We already knew he was in danger of missing Coachella (which he definitely is now confirmed as not playing) , but based on the two statements he released today, it looks like all three are not very likely to happen. Those frustrated statements below:
VOLCANO AND COACHELLA LATEST. PART 2
(News date: Apr 17)
It is now 5PM here in the UK. A short while ago I received a message saying that both the San Francisco and Los Angeles shows had sold out which cheered me up no end. A few minutes after that I received another message saying that British Airways have cancelled our flights to the US tomorrow which brought everything straight back down again. We have called every transatlantic airline that operates from the UK and not only are they not flying, they are not currently accepting any new bookings, not until tuesday for many of them. So, even if they do allow planes to fly later on sunday or monday, and that’s a very big if at the moment, we can’t book seats on any of them. Even I have to admit that it’s not looking good. As soon as we know more I’ll update you all. I can’t tell you how disappointed we all are.
VOLCANO AND COACHELLA LATEST
(News date: Apr 17)
It is now about mid-day on saturday and UK airspace has been officially closed until 1am sunday morning. According to British Airways we took the last six seats available on their 297 flight due to leave tomorrow morning at 09:55 and the last four on their mid-day flight. And they charged me an extra £2,000 for the priviledge with the words ‘if you don’t book these seats now we have plenty of other people who are willing to pay a lot more’. I never expected to be held to ransom by British AIrways especially in such a difficult situation for everybody. Still, you live and learn.
We have not given up. All members of our group, band and crew, living more than 90 minutes away from the airport have been booked into hotels nearby so that we are able to take advantage of any positive change in the situation, should that occur. I am leaving for a Heathrow hotel within the next hour to make sure that I am right on the doorstep if any good news comes in. The band and some crew will go out on the first flight, should that be allowed to leave, and the remaining crew on the second. We are talking to our people in Los Angeles, arranging back up crew in case the second plane is cancelled or delayed, talking to Coachella about later slots, anything and everything that is within our power is being done, but that means very little if the aeroplanes don’t fly. I have to say that everyone is being incredibly helpful, everyone except British Airways sadly, e-mails are flooding in from people at the festival offering to help with crew and equipment and the Coachella organisers are doing all they can to make it happen.
What happens to our other two US shows is obviously also in doubt but I can promise you that if there is any way we can get there, we will take it.
Bad Lieutenant, Frightened Rabbit, The Cribs, and Delphic all cancelled for the same reason too.