Joe Rowland of Pallbearer’s Top 10 2012 Musical Experiences
Pallbearer at Acheron, May 2012 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Bassist Joseph Rowland stopped in to drop off his Top 10 musical experiences of the year, on and off of the road as a member of Pallbearer. You can read his annotated list below.
If you missed Pallbearer at any of their recent NYC shows (Saint Vitus & Acheron, Knitting Factory), make sure and catch them in 2013 when they hit the road with Enslaved. The tour hits Bowery Ballroom on Feb 22 and tickets are still available.
Joseph Rowland, Pallbearer
Top 10 Musical Experiences in 2012
This has been a wild year for me, and I haven’t had the time or desire to check out as much new music as I have in the past, but I’ve cobbled together a list that comprises a few things that left a good, lasting inpression on me in 2012 (and I’ve included a bit of commentary as well.)
1 and 2. Pinkish Black – S/T, as well as their live performance. I haven’t been so captivated by a band’s set in quite some time. I’ve been hooked on their record since I first heard it and have listened to it more than any other album released this year. This band rules.
3. Samothrace – Reverence to Stone. I was wholeheartedly disappointed that they were unable to tour with Pallbearer in September due to a family illness, and subsequent passing. This record is full of emotion, and to me, is amplified by the events that transpired after its release.
4. Crippled Black Phoenix – (Mankind) The Crafty Ape
5. Discovering the Richard Wright solo album, Wet Dream. Despite the somewhat ridiculous title, to me this is a heartwrenching work on par with the best Pink Floyd material
6. Majeure – Solar Maximum
7. Anhedonist – Netherwards
8. Seeing Kansas perform live. As some may know, I love prog rock and it was great seeing these somewhat under-recognized still at the top of their game.
9. Aldebaran – Embracing the Lightless Depths
10. Balaclava live at SXSW. I had never heard of this band, I happend to see them perform a short and unbelievably ripping set that left me floored.