Entries tagged with: 50 Cent
Shout Out Louds at Webster Hall in 2010 (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
today in NYC
* Whiplash @ UCB
* Los Vega @ Barbes
* Brain Cloud @ Barbes
* The Thermals @ Ace Hotel
* Ester Rada @ Slipper Room
* Greys, Shahman @ Cake Shop
* Tony Scherr Trio @ Living Room
* Shellshag, Pity Party @ Acheron
* Deep Space w/ Francois K @ Cielo
* The Campilongo Trio @ Living Room
* Frank London's Shekhina Big Band @ The Stone
* Kria Brekkan, Aaron Roche @ Church of the Advent Hope
* Wyatt Cenac, Yannis Pappas, Erik Bergstrom @ Littlefield
* The Electric Set, Sexy Neighbors, Trepanning @ Silent Barn
* Bernhoft, Baby Alpaca (Duo Set), Cameron Hull @ Glasslands
* Shout Out Louds, Little Children @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Lily & The Parlour Tricks, Alice & the Glass Lake @ Mercury Lounge
* Child Abuse, Pyrrhon, Say At Last, Valerie Keuhne @ Death By Audio
* Kestrels, Adult Dude, Graveyard Lovers, Sweethearts @ Public Assembly
* Hannibal Buress, Taylor Ketchum, Kate Hendricks, Michael Che, Mike Denny, Nimesh Patel @ Matchless
Kria Brekkan (of Iceland's Mum) plays tonight at Church of the Advent Hope (111 E. 87th St). It's free.
Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.
Hip hop producer Hit-Boy ("Niggas in Paris," "Clique," "Backseat Freestyle," "Goldie") is releasing a compilation, All I've Ever Dreamed Of, this week (3/12) and he just revealed a track from it, "Cypher," which features a zillion rappers (Schoolboy Q, Casey Veggies, Xzibit, Rick Ross, Method Man, Red Man, Raekown, and more). Check it out below.
photos by Dylan Johnson
Kendrick Lamar touched down in NYC for two shows at Roseland Ballroom on Tuesday (2/26) (early and late)., part of HOT 97 and MetroPCS's "5 Boro Takeover Tour" that also includes an upcoming T.I. show.
No Drake, but he brought out an incredible group of collaborators including all of Black Hippy (Schoolboy Q, Jay Rock, and Ab-Soul), A$AP Rocky, YG, 50 Cent, and Tony Yayo. Kendrick and his friends played a bunch of cuts off of his unstoppable good kid, m.A.A.d city, reached back to early albums and mixtapes, and played some of his guests' material (like "Fuckin Problems" with A$AP Rocky) with the crowd screaming along the whole time. Both shows were sold out and totally packed, and you can check out pictures of the craziness from the early show in this post.
Ab-Soul (and friends?) sticks around NY and plays SOB's tonight (2/27) with Bishop Nehru and more.
Kendrick also performed "Poetic Justice" on on Letterman on Tuesday with his band. The video of that performance and more pictures and a video from the early show at Roseland below...
As rumored, rivals Fat Joe and 50 Cent came together to honor Chris Lighty at the BET Hip Hop Awards last night. Q-Tip, Busta Rhymes, Missy Elliott, Diggy Simmons, Phife Dawg, LL Cool J and Funkmaster Flex took part of the 10 minute segment too. Watch it below...
Rick Ross at Fader Fort, Austin 2012 (more by Angelina Castillo)
Tension exploded between Rick Ross' MMG crew, Young Jeezy's camp and G-unit in Atlanta this weekend.The BET Awards took place at the Atlanta Civic Center where, in front of the cameras, both Rick Ross and Young Jeezy's individual sets went off without a hitch, along with a tribute to the revered Chris Lighty (RIP) that featured A Tribe Called Quest, Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, Fat Joe and 50 Cent (the latter two have well documented beef). Check out some video of the Rick Ross/Young Jeezy scuffle (including a broken mirror... bad luck, guys!) courtesy of TMZ below.
During Saturday's (September 29) taping for BET's 2012 Hip-Hop Awards in Atlanta, Rozay and the Snowman reportedly got into a shoving match backstage before the scuffle spilled outside into the parking lot. Shots were fired and at least one man was said to be arrested.
That's not all. Multiple sources who witnessed the fray confirmed to MTV News that Ross' protégé Gunplay was also involved in fisticuffs with members of 50 Cent's G-Unit camp. Gun was seen with visible wounds and a witness told us that the Miami MC was put into handcuffs and detained, but a separate source close to Gunplay told us that he was not arrested. -[MTV News]
In related news, Rick Ross and his Maybach Music associates Wale and Meek Mill have announced a fall tour, and those dates are also listed below...
50 Cent wants you to stop masturbating, and he's taken to Twitter to tell you how to do it:
Step 1. To avoid the urge to masturbate stop going to porn sites.And there you have it. In related news, 50 may share the stage with his rival Fat Joe for for a Chris Lighty Tribute at the BET Hip-Hop Awards.
Step 2. Make a conscious decision not to turn your head after people walk by you.
Step 3. Do not go to strip clubs
Step 4. Do not look at lust filled magazines
Snoop Dogg on Teen Son's Pot Use: 'He's Learning From The Master'. Catch Snoop Lion at Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ tonight. He goes on at 10 (or when he feels like it). Tickets seem to still be available.
We premiered a new Strife song today.
More importantly, we're pretty sure your cat wants this for his or her birthday:
Conor Oberst played a 19 song solo show in Austin, with help from Daniel Johnston and Ben Kweller.
Ben and Conor will again team up at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate park this October.
Obama and marriage equality supporters The National are currently in the studio (hopefully crafting the follow-up to 2010's High Violet), and have posted a six-second clip, titled "Jazz Brunch," to their new Soundcloud account. You can have yourself a "Jazz Brunch" HERE.
Steve Earle is playing an Obama fundraiser at Brooklyn Bowl.
When in doubt, do like Andre Williams says, and "Blame it on Obama."
26 years ago today, heavy metal lost one its greatest bassists and heroes to a tragic bus accident. His recordings are among some of the greatest albums ever produced in metal. Cliff Burton, you are missed.
Metallica's Kirk Hammett will be signing his new horror memorabilia book on 10/11 in New York, NY @ Barnes & Noble, 10/13 in New York, NY @ Comic Con, 10/25 in Los Angeles, CA @ Barnes & Noble, 10/26 in Burbank, CA @ Monsterpalooza, 10/27 in New York, NY @ Chiller Theater, and on 11/20 in San Francisco, CA @ Books Inc.
Speaking of the Ramones, a young Morrissey did not like them, at least the first time around.
Tumbull, CT tried to throw a Michael Bolton concert, lost lots of money in the process.
More stuff below...
Dre & Snoop @ Coachella - Sunday, 4/15/2012
Coachella is over. The Sunday headliner setlist, and a few more pictures (all first seen on the BrooklynVegan Instagram) (more pictures
coming later HERE), beow...
"Yankee Stadium was #EPIC last night. Performances by JayZ,Drake,Kanye West,Eminem,G-Unit,Dr.Dre,Nicki Minaj,B.O.B & Eminem all on one stage!" -ThisIsChi_JEG
"Apparently a Coldplay concert broke out in the middle of Jay-Z's Yankee Stadium set last night. Can safely say no one saw that coming." -BarthDoesThings
"I've been trying to find a word to explain the Jay-Z/Eminem Yankee Stadium show.. I got it.. WOW!!!!!" -DJCK_BROOKLYN
Jay-Z & Chris Martin on stage @ Yankee Stadium
Jay-Z and Eminem tore down Yankee Stadium last night (9/13), the first of TWO shows that the pair of MCs will play in the Bronx. And there were guests... Kanye was present. Chris Martin of Coldplay dropped in. Beyonce had her say. Dr Dre was there. 50 Cent too. Not to mention Drake, Nicky Minaj, D12, B.O.B, Swizz Beatz, Lloyd Banks, and many others.
"The concert lasted well past midnight, and a few thousand in the crowd started to make their way to the exits while Jay-Z was still rapping to beat the after-concert rush. But most stayed behind, sensing what Jay-Z told them. ''This is historic: They ain't never gonna be another night like tonight.''After the show, Jigga, Mrs Hova, and guests headed down to the 40/40 Club for a nightcap.
Well, maybe one more night -- the pair has another show at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday." [NY Times]
The madness continues tonight (9/14) at Yankee Stadium. A bunch of videos and both setlists (with guests listed) from last night, below...
Natalie Merchant is playing shows at Town Hall in NYC on July 15th & 16th. Tickets are on sale at noon.
Tickets are on sale at noon for the Primus / Gogol Bordello show at Williamsgurg Waterfront.
Barenaked Ladies are playing Radio City Music Hall on August 13th. Tickets are on sale.
50 Cent is playing Hammerstein Ballroom on June 22nd. Tickets are on sale at noon.
Juliette Lewis plays Music Hall of Williamsburg on August 21st. Tickets are on sale at noon.
OK Go are playing Terminal 5 on October 29th. Tickets are on sale at noon.
Tickets are on sale at noon for the Gov't Mule show in Central Park.
Check out the ENTIRE Central Park Summerstage schedule.
Some great upcoming hip hop shows in the coming weeks, starting with Murs who is back with producer 9th Wonder for a new album, Murs 9th Wonder Fornever. Check out the first track from the album, "3:16 Part 2" above. Fornever is due on April 13th, and one week later, the "Bad Man" will kick off a US tour in Arizona that has him crashlanding at Highline Ballroom on May 19th. Tickets are on sale.
DJ Hi-Tek has done beats for the entire G-Unit crew, so in that light, I guess it makes sense that the thematically different Hi-Tek project (with Talib Kweli) Reflection Eternal would play the "This is 50" (Cent) event at Nokia Theater. Although for the life of me, I cant figure out why Reflection Eternal would support Lloyd Banks. Ah, nepotism. Tickets for April 29th at Nokia Theater with Banks and Reflection Eternal are on sale.
One day before the "This is 50" event, One Be Lo will step back into his old role as a member of Binary Star for a show at Knitting Factory (4/28) with DJ Abilities, Pigeon John, Donny Goines, and Nyle. Tickets are on sale. One Be Lo is scheduled to drop his new solo album B.A.B.Y. on MYX later this year, which features appearances from Royce Da 5'9, Freeway, Zion I, Phonte, Jean Grae, and more. Check out a track from the upcoming LP above.
Though Before The Casket Drops has, um, dropped, Clipse is still on the road promoting the record, laying down dates in NYC at Highline Ballroom (5/6, tickets) and Baruch College earlier that same day. Ninjasonik is on board to get the party started. Full tour dates are below.
Finally, a few hip hop greats from the 90s are scheduled to play NYC in the coming weeks. Naughty by Nature and Black Sheep will team up for a show at Brooklyn Masonic Temple on 5/21 (tickets still on sale). Cypress Hill could easily play a room much much larger than SOBs, but look for them at the venue on 4/15 (tickets still avail) and the blastmaster KRS-ONE on 4/20 (tickets). Wait... shouldn't those dates be reversed?
Tour dates and some videos are below...
Lily Allen @ Roseland Ballroom (more by Natasha Ryan)
"I havent written on here for a while but I've taken the time to write this as I think music piracy is having a dangerous effect on British music, but some really rich and successful artists like Nick Mason from Pink Floyd and Ed O'Brien from Radiohead don't seem to think so. Last week in an article in the Times these guys from huge bands said file sharing music is fine. It probably is fine for them. They do sell-out arena tours and have the biggest Ferrari collections in the world. For new talent though, file sharing is a disaster as it's making it harder and harder for new acts to emerge." [Lily Allen on MySpace, September 14, 2009]On September 20th Lily Allen started a blog called "It's Not Alright". Her first post was a letter by James Blunt that started with the line "Lily is our Leader". Other posts include a letter from Tim Rice Oxley from Keane, one from Matt Bellamy from Muse, and, ironically, a post about 50 Cent that she lifted without credit from Techdirt. She has since, sort of, apologized. There are also posts by/about Mark Ronson, The Futureheads, Patrick Wolf, and Bat For Lashes' Natasha Khan.
Earlier this week 50 Cent called off his Aug. 30 performance at the "40 Day" aka "Family Day" event in Queens, N.Y., after community members and law enforcement officials voiced fear over a possible shootout.50 Cent may not be playing the Queens event, but he is playing the Beach on Governors Island on October 3rd. Tickets go on 'Internet Presale' today (Friday) at noon, and general sale on Saturday at the same time.
However, a new, more peace-inspired rumor has surfaced on the street: If 50 had, in fact, taken the stage at the G-Unit-helmed neighborhood party, he hoped to have Cam'ron join him. This seemed like an unlikely move from 50 Cent's camp considering the war of words that the G-Unit and Dipset members exchanged a few years ago. But before this story had time to gather too many legs, Killa Cam confirmed to MTV in a video interview that he had no plans of making the trip to Queens, where his beef with 50 first began.
"Nah, I'm not going to no show in Queens," Cam'ron said. "I don't know how true it is ... a few of my people -- associates -- said [some of 50's associates] was trying to reach out. But, I ain't going to no concert in Queens. Come up to Harlem Week. We could sit down and have the roundtable meeting if you really wanna be serious. Or meet anywhere ... we can meet in Benihana's if you wanna be serious. It don't matter. I'm not squashing a problem we had in Queens at your event." [The Boombox]
More importantly, if you haven't seen it already, check out the video of Mike Bloomberg discussing the "50 Cents" situation (and other related videos) below...
some hip hop in the news
* Rapper's Road to Pop
* P Diddy did not change his name
* Fifty Cent and His Ex Get Court Orders
* Nas moves new album back two weeks
* Missy Elliott prepares for a summer "Block Party"
* DJ Green Lantern & Nas release The Nigger Tape
* On 'Carter III,' Lil' Wayne perfects the art of the brag
* Kanye West, Lupe & N.E.R.D. added another NYC show
* Lil Wayne's CD, fueled by leaks, poised to sell more than any album so far this year
Black Sheep are playing Knitting Factory in NYC tonight (6/11).
A raging fire that one fire official called "definitely suspicious" gutted a Dix Hills home owned by the Grammy-nominated rapper 50 Cent Friday morning, sending six people inside the house to the hospital.
An eyewitness told Newsday that among the injured, all of whom suffered smoke inhalation according to fire officials, were 50 Cent's ex-girlfriend, Shaniqua Tompkins, and their 10-year-old son, Marquise.
"She was all right," eyewitness Frank Hoyte, a Newsday employee, said, adding: "But she was angry." [Newsday]
DOWNLOAD Copperpot - Art of Rap feat. Masta Ace & EdoG (MP3)
DOWNLOAD Baby Elephant - How Does The Brain Wave? ft David Byrne [Produced by Prince Paul] (MP3)
- Prince Paul has a brand new project by the name of Baby Elephant. David Byrne appears on one of the tracks. Download above.
- Tickets go on sale Saturday for the September 21st AllHipHop.com Finale concert featuring Lupe Fiasco, Cassidy, Hurricane Cassidy, and Talib Kweli at Nokia Theatre in NYC. Talib just played Nokia Theatre, and he has a free NYC show coming up too. he also just put out a new album. Rolling Stone gave it three stars.
- Miss Info went to the Kanye West/Graduation preview party. Tom went as well. I didn't go, but you and I can hear it too - the album leaked. In related news, Kanye - along with the Smashing Pumpkins - is set to headline Miami’s Bang! Music Festival (Nov 10-11).
- Diddy has confirmed there will be an 'I Get Money' remix featuring 50 Cent, Diddy, Jay-Z & Kanye West.
- The RIAA has shut down DJ Premier's Live from the HQ podcast, while Ludacris gets renewed on XM. See Ludacris when he plays Radio City.
- FromDaBricks wrote a great deconstruction of Jeru Da Damaja
- Ja Rule & The Game are going to be collaborating.
- Time Magazine comments on Hip Hop's decline.
- Much more exciting: GZA & Killah Priest will do an album together. MF Doom & Pharoahe Monch are performing together. Hopefully the real Doom shows up though. Still excited for GZA performing Liquid Swords in Brooklyn.
DOWNLOAD Dry Yai - Ease Di Tension (MP3)
Sierra Leone's OkayPlayer-approved star Hip Hop artist, Dry-Yai, will be performing at Joe's Pub August 29th at 11.30pm We're giving away a pair of tickets. To win please email us at BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Dry Yai). Include your first and last name. One winner will be picked at random and contacted.
I guess everyone made up and decided to play nice?
Kanye West, Diddy, 50 Cent @ Screamfest @ MSG, NYC - 8/22 (CRED)
There were close to 20,000 people at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night, and it's pretty much a given that none of them believe what they saw. Just imagine how much they've been calling, texting and MySpacing since the show. Heck, you might not even believe this when you read it, but as wrestling legend Kurt Angle would say, "It's true. It's damn true."Hov, Kanye West, Diddy, 50 Cent @ MSG, NYC - 8/22
T.I. orchestrated a mammoth hip-hop moment, a piece of history in the form of an onstage party featuring the cream of the crop in hip-hop: T.I., Jay-Z, Diddy, Swizz Beatz, Ciara, Kanye West and 50 Cent. They were all onstage performing and partying together ... as in, everybody was onstage at the same time. [MTV]
- Speaking of international hip hop (Dry Yai), Soulico (from Isreal) is playing the blogger-curated After The Jump Fest this weekend.
- MF Doom sends a poser to perform in his mask?
- Blender interviews RZA, who also shares his top 10 list of hottest MC's out right now here. I think you'll be surprised at his list. What is your list?
- GZA is performing 'Liquid Swords' in Brooklyn
- With all this Hip Hop beef abound, lets look at how even The Beatles released diss songs targeting each other.
- Cormega will be releasing two projects from his Legal Hustle imprint this year, with one of them being a producer instrumental series titled Legal Hustle Presents Got Beats?. The disc will feature beats from DJ Premier, Alchemist, Ayatollah, Buckwild, Ski Beats, Heatmakerz and more.
- KRS One is to sign with Duck Down Records while The Dogg Pound signs with Cash Money Records.
- TSS reminisces and relives the Up In Smoke tour.
- Go here to read my summary of all the recent 50 Cent drama.
- Hi Tek is set to release his third solo album.
DOWNLOAD Common Market - My Pathology (MP3)
DOWNLOAD Common Market - Succor MCs (Mp3)
DOWNLOAD N.O.R.E. - Set It Off" feat. Swizz Beatz & J. Ru$$ (MP3)
DOWNLOAD N.O.R.E. - That Club Ish" feat. Three 6 Mafia (MP3)
DOWNLOAD Sharen Jones and the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights
DOWNLOAD Aesop Rock - Citronella (MP3)
DOWNLOAD Pieces Of Peace - I Still Care (MP3)
Common Market is one of my favorite recent discoveries. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are playing the Apollo Theater October 6th (tix). N.O.R.E. is releasing Noreality in the next few weeks, unfortunately with wack cover art. Pieces of Peace are a soul band from back in the day - with an album that was never released (until now), and they should make for great sampling material for today's rappers.
KRS-One performing in Prospect Park - Aug 3, 2007 (CRED)
On top of the positivity and good times, KRS injected the crowd with a dose of inspirational storytelling. See, before BDP fame, way back in 1980, KRS was homeless. His home of choice was Prospect Park. His bed of choice was the Prospect Park bandshell. The very bandshell he was now performing in! He would sleep at night and during the day hang out at the Grand Army Plaza Library getting his knowledge on. As a young KRS poured through books, thoughts of the future danced through his head. A future that consisted of one day rocking a mic in Prospect Park. The very park his was now rocking! Or so the story goes. Can someone fact check this please? Even if it's not true, and something tells me some of it is, the story connected with most and accomplished its modest goal.[Angry Citizen]NEWS
- Apparently 50 Cent had a breakdown and tore up his G-Unit offices while screaming on the phone to his label Interscope Records. Ms. Info had a post up that I discovered through this Nahright post. I then found that Ms. Info's post had mysteriously been deleted - not cached by google either. HipHopDX still has some excerpts from the original Ms Info post up. This all is apparently over 50's next single/video "Follow My Lead" ft Robin Thicke being leaked. I'd link to it, but it keeps getting deleted.
- The Beastie Boys played at McCarren Pool and Central Park SummerStage
- Timbaland + Justin Timberlake's new project: Madonna's new album.
- Lupe, Kanye, and Pharrell are hoping to make a full album as CRS
- David Banner tells Al Sharpton to go fuck himself.
- Weiss shares some thoughts on Cage.
- TSS did a Smoking Session interview with Phonte of Little Brother. Little Brother is playing CMJ with Brother Ali @ Highline Ballroom on October 20th.
Pharoahe Monch is fronting a live band this Friday (June 29 - 11:30pm) at Highline Ballroom in NYC. Black Milk, Polyrhythm Addicts, The Cool Kids, and DJ Ready Cee are opening. It's the official launch party for Pharoahe's new album Desire, which by the way I LOVE. It's a very strong effort with excellent, soulful and cohesive production, diverse and intelligent topic matter, innovative song concepts, and it just has a whole lot of heart --> Highly recommended. Check out another review at About.com, and interviews with Pharoahe HERE and HERE. All tour dates at the end of this post
We have a pair of tickets to give away to the NYC show on Friday. Want to win them? E-mail BVCONTESTS@HOTMAIL.COM (subject: Monch), and let us know who you wish we'd cover more in this weekly post. One winner will be picked Friday at Noon, and notified. If you don't win, tickets are still on sale.
More Hip Hop below.....