Entries tagged with: Adam Ant
by Bill Pearis
Adam Ant @ Best Buy Theater, December 2012 (more by Dana [distortion] Yavin)
Adam Ant released his first album in 18 years in January, titled Adam Ant is the Blueblack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter. The double album is probably not what anyone expected, much of it very low-fi and definitely weird. Jumping from style to style, and featuring contributions from former Ant Marco Pirroni and Morrissey guitarist Boz Boorer, it's a mess, yes, but an interesting one, and well worth checking out. The video for bluesy lead track "Cool Zombie," and a Spotify stream of the whole album are below.
With the new album out, and having had a successful and well-received North American tour last year (he sold out Best Buy Theater here in NYC), Adam Ant has announced a big North American summer tour. This includes two nights in the Big Apple at Irving Plaza on August 16 and 17. Tickets to these shows go Livenation and Music Geeks presale on Wednesday (4/10) at 10 AM with the regular on-sale happening on Friday (4/12) at 10 AM.
All tour dates are listed below.
photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin
Adam Ant @ Best Buy Theatre, 10/6/2012
The Hollywood Reporter: It's been 17 years since you last toured America and released your last record. What made you think the time was right for a comeback?Armed with two drummers to get that Burundi-style Kings of the Wild Frontier sound, new wave icon Adam Ant played a sold-out The Best Buy Theatre on Saturday (10/6) and, much like his recent show in Austin, gave a hit filled performance, including "Desperate Not Serious," "Antmusic," "Dog Eat Dog," "Stand and Deliver" and "Goody Two-Shoes." At 58, he's still quite spry... and can still yodel with the best of them. The crowd, many of whom came dressed up for the show in pirate garb, ate the whole thing up like Cap'n Crunch. You can check out the setlist and lots more pictures from Saturday's show below, including ones of openers The Brothers from Brazil. Adam Ant has a new album at the ready, Adam Ant is the Blueblack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter, that should be out early 2013.
Adam Ant: I went to see This Is It in London after Michael Jackson passed away. I sat there and thought, "A lot of the performers are going." Poly Styrene passed away, and a number of other musicians. There is only a certain time in your life when you can physically keep doing this. I'm pretty fit, and I thought, now's a great time to get back on board. And I was writing; I'd had the album in the can. So I recorded the album, and I thought, "Let's go!"
[This Is It] was quite a good film from the point of view of the mechanics of putting a show together. That's how I used to put shows together -- not on that dance level, but when I did [1982's] Prince Charming Revue in Great Britain, it was very complicated. LIke putting together an opera. I missed putting the album and show together. [The film] gave me that little nod to get back on with it. - [Hollywood Reporter]
Nick Waterhouse @ 4knots 2012 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Adam Ant @ Emos East (more by Tim Griffin)
today in NYC
* The Lisps @ 92YTribeca
* Satanicide @ Pianos
* Kayo Dot @ The Stone
* Nass Gnawa @ Zebulon
* Jovanotti @ Terminal 5
* Jay-Z @ Barclays Center
* Reputante, ANML @ Glasslands
* Beirut @ Gramercy Theatre
* Patti Smith @ Sir Stage 37
* Lucinda Williams @ Sir Stage 37
* Adam Ant @ Best Buy Theater
* Greg Proops @ The Bell House
* Lotion, Edsel @ Mercury Lounge
* Vampire Weekend @ Sir Stage 37
* Kastle, Sleepyhead @ Glasslands
* Los Straightjackets @ Maxwell's
* The Brooklyn Flea Record Fair
* James Iha, Milagres @ Maxwell's
* Brooklyn Mexican Border @ Barbes
* Raphael Saadiq @ Gramercy Theatre
* Craig Ferguson @ Radio City Music Hall
* Polica, Gardens and Villa @ Webster Hall
* Dean & Britta @ Metropolitan Museum of Art
* Porches, Ghost Light, Evil Sword @ Big Snow
* Nick Waterhouse, Allah-Las @ Bowery Ballroom
* Galactic, Allen Toussaint @ The Capitol Theatre
* Nellie McKay @ Outpost In The Burbs (Montclair, NJ)
* The Octopus Project, The Vandelles @ Mercury Lounge
* The Ataris, Red City Radio @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn
* Ltj Bukem, Place42, Stunna, Mc Armanni @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Los Encantados, KNTRLR, Cheers Elephant @ Shea Stadium
* The Dig, The We Shared Milk, Buffalo Jump @ Cameo Gallery
* Eastern Hollows, Believers, Cave Days, Psychobuildings @ Cake Shop
* The Psyched, Major Stars, Radical Dads, Warm Soda @ Public Assembly
* Tiger & Woods (live), BICEP, Jacques Renault, Paul Raffaele @ (le) poisson rouge
* Oneida, Guardian Alien, K-Holes, Frank Hurricane, Pleasure Craft @ Secret Project Robot
* The Electric Mess, The Brian Wilson Shock Treatment, Madam Robot and The Lust Brigade @ Union Pool
* The Afghan Whigs, Mighty Fine, Rev. Vince Anderson and His Love Choir @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs, Brother Hamm and The Pentecostals, The Grand Prospect @ The Rock Shop
* Terence Connor tribute w/ DJ sets from Total Slacker, Prince Rama, DOM, Cool Serbia, Weird Rivers @ Cheap Storage
The New Yorker Festival is happening this weekend and all events listed above at Gramercy Theatre and Sir Stage 37 are part of it.
The Brooklyn Flea Record Fair is happening today at Smorgasburg, with many cool labels (XL, DFA, Domino, Captured Tracks, Kanine, and more) having booths, some of which are selling exclusive releases. 11 AM - 6PM.
It's a double '90s indie rock reunion at Mercury Lounge with Lotion and Edsel, the latter of whom are playing their first show in 12 years. If you can't make it tonight, both bands are playing a matinee at the Rock Shop on Sunday (10/7).
Going back another ten years from that, Adam Ant will be at Best Buy Theatre tonight, a show that was rescheduled from February. His show in Austin a few weeks ago looked like a lot of fun. The video for Adam & the Ants' classic "Antmusic" is below.
Follow BrooklynVegan on Instagram.
As you've surely known for a while now if you bought a ticket to tonight's NYC show at Best Buy Theater, that Adam Ant show was postponed to October 6th. Tickets for the new NYC date are on sale, and all dates are listed below...
DOWNLOAD: Adam Ant - "Hard Men, Tough Blokes" (40-sec sample) (MP3)
Adam Ant of late '70s/early '80s UK post-punk/new wave group Adam and the Ants will put out his first solo album in over 15 years in early 2012. The album, titled Adam Ant is the Blueblack Hussar in Marrying the Gunner's Daughter, reportedly will feature collaborations with longtime partner Marco Pirroni, Chris McCormack (of 3 Colours Red), and an ex-Oasis member. You can download a 40-sec sample of the album track "Hard Men, Tough Blokes" at the top of this post.
Adam is touring in support of the album in early 2012, which includes a North American run in February that hits NYC on February 15 at Best Buy Theater. Tickets for the show are on sale now.
All dates are listed with a couple of videos below...