Entries tagged with: Anathallo
Olof Arnalds @ Prospect Park in June (more by Chris La Putt)
tonight in NYC
* The Rapture @ Matchless
* Blood Orange @ Bruar Falls
* We Are Ivy League @ Union Hall
* Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival
* Son Volt, Sera Cahoone @ Irving Plaza
* Aretha Franklin @ Radio City Music Hall
* The Horrors, Crocodiles @ Bowery Ballroom
* The Sounds, Foxy Shazam @ Roseland Ballroom
* Ramona Falls, Music Video, We Are Country Mice @ Pianos
* Olof Arnalds, Nadia Sirota, Emilyn Brodsky @ Union Pool
* Face to Face, Pegboy, Polar Bear Club @ Gramercy Theatre
* Richard Lloyd & The Sufi-Monkey Trio @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* Datarock, Esser, JDH & Dave P, Karin Park @ Highline Ballroom
* Fun., Miniature Tigers, New Numbers, DJ F-Word @ Mercury Lounge
* The Weakerthans, Rock Plaza Central, Tomte @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Drink Up Buttercup, The Art of Shooting, Candle Of Paradise @ Glasslands
* Country Music Fest w/ The Defibulators, Sammo, Alana Amram @ Southpaw
* Grooms, Videohippos, Starring, PC Worship, Anamanaguchi, Dome Theater @DBA
* Nudie Jeans Fashion Party w/ Lykke Li (DJ), Bjorn of Peter Bjorn & John (DJ) & Lemonade (DJ) @ (Le) Poisson Rouge
* New Languages Fest w/ Darcy James Argue's Secret Society, House of Mirrors, The Respect Sextet @ McCarren Hall
There's a free VICE / Nudie Jeans Fashion Party with DJ sets from Lemonade, Lykke Li and Bjorn of Peter Bjorn & John at Le Poisson Rouge.. RSVP. 11PM doors, 21+ Free Colt 45 and Well Liquor Open Bar from 11PM-12:30AM. Flyer below. There's a VICE / something else party with a set by the Rapture in Brooklyn.
Fun. is Nate Ruess (The Format), ex-Anathallo multi-instrumentalist Andrew Dost and Steel Train's Jack Antonoff.
Son Volt dropped a new album this summer, and now they come to NYC's Irving Plaza for a show with Sera Cahoone.
The Horrors play with Crocodiles at Bowery Ballroom tonight. Both bands return in October.
The Weakerthans play two nights in NYC now. Tonight is at Music Hall of Williamsburg with Rock Plaza Central and Tomte. A live Weakerthans video from 2006 below...
Olof Arnalds winds up her recently NYC trip with a show at Union Pool that also includes Nadia Sirota and Emilyn Brodsky.
Face to Face, Pegboy (ex-Naked Rayguy) and Polar Bear Club are currently on a tour that stops at Gramercy Theatre tonight.
Television's Richard Lloyd plays with The Sufi-Monkey Trio at (Le) Poisson Rouge tonight.
Tim Heidecker stars in Clues' new video for "You Have My Eyes Now," which is posted below.
Little Boots was in town last night. Coverage of that coming soon. In the meantime, her interview with Nardwuar below...
* Matt Joynt - Vocals, Guitar, Auxiliary Percussion, PianoAs previously mentioned, Sam Amidon is currently keeping busy over in Europe (with and without Doveman), playing an upcoming show at The Stone, and joining Nico Muhly (and Doveman) for a show at Lincoln Center.
* Bret Wallin - Trombone, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals
* Danny Bracken - Guitar, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals
* Seth Walker - Bass, Vocals
* Jeremiah Johnson - Drums, Percussion, Vocals
* Erica Froman - Vocals, Auxiliary Percussion, Autoharp
* Jamie Macleod - Flugelhorn, Auxiliary Percussion, Vocals
Sam is also going on a US tour with Anathallo in February and March. That tour includes yet another NYC show (for Sam) (it's Anathallo's only local appearance). Tickets for the March 4th show at Mercury Lounge go on sale Friday. All dates below...
I'm doing pretty good with my guesses so far. Still no Titus Andronicus, but Britt Daniel and Janet Weiss were there on night one, and Jon Benjamin (comedy) and Jennifer O'Connor (music) opened last night, Christmas Eve, December 24th, the fourth night of Hanukkah (there goes the theory that they don't repeat an opener) (btw, good job Anonymous | December 22, 2008 5:58 PM at predicting night three's special guest Yoni Wolf). Pictures of the show are coming soon. There were no other special guests.
That was Christmas Eve and today is Christmas, so what better time to mention the great new Christmas album called Peace on Earth : Vol. II. The charity holiday album features tracks by Jennifer O'Connor, Anathallo, Pattern is Movement, Marla Hansen, Oxford Collapse, Jason Collett, American Analog Set, and many others. Check it out. Jennifer's song is "Deck the Halls". You can hear it at her MySpace.
Jennifer's next NYC show is at Southpaw on February 14th with Mascott. Tickets are on sale. All dates below...
Other albums released this week that I have heard and can definitely recommend include Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band's The Mountain, Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan's Sunday at Devil Dirt, Max Tundra's Parallax Error Beheads You, and Momus's Joemus.
Technically, it's not a reissue, but Belle and Sebastian's The BBC Sessions is an amazing set of recordings from one of my favorite bands.
This week's interesting CD releases:
Anathallo @ Mercury Lounge, NYC - May 23, 2008 (more by Kyle Reinford)
tonight in NYC
* Metro Area @ Love
* Islands @ Webster Hall
* Lucky Dragons @ Silent Barn
* Mike Ladd & others @ The Yard
* Dosh & Anathallo @ Union Hall
* Holiday of Hardcore @ Studio B
* Firewater & Cordero @ Southpaw
* X & The Detroit Cobras @ Irving Plaza
* Olive Juice Independent Music Festival
* Team Robespierre & NinjaSonik, Bikes in the Kitchen Party
Firewater is also playing Monday at Bowery Ballroom.
photos by Kyle Dean Reinford
Gothamist: I assume you're going to be with Andrew Bird at All Points West?Dosh is on tour with Anathallo. You can catch them tonight (May 24) at Union Hall in Brooklyn. Last night they played Mercury Lounge. How was it? More pictures from the show below...
Dosh: Absolutely. Yes. That's going to be awesome.
Gothamist: Where are you guys at with his new album?
Dosh: Let's see. I want to say maybe 80% there. I think there are nine or ten tunes done. Jeremy just went to Chicago to do some bass on a bunch of the stuff. I'm not sure what the total count of tunes is that are going to be on there. Jeremy and Andrew went to Nashville and recorded I think seven songs there with guitars, violins and vocals. They sent me the files and I recorded a bunch of strange percussion stuff in my basement and then went to Chicago with Jeremy and did some live stuff there. And when Andrew was in Minneapolis for the World of Dosh show we recorded some looping in my basement.
Wolves and Wishes, Martin Dosh's fourth official LP, arrives after its architect spent nearly a year on the road--touring solo and as a member of Andrew Bird's band--and yet, he sounds reborn. If 2006's The Lost Take reimagined the drums, Rhodes and everything-but-the-kitchen-sink virtuoso as a full band, his latest restocks the lineup with a fresh cast of collaborators, then stretches out as Dosh masterminds the material (composing, improvising, arranging) with all the explorative wonderment of a debut ablum. Never has our man sounded so free. And to think, there's not a single drum machine in the mix. Wolves And Wishes will is available on CD today, May 13. The vinyl version of the record will be in store June 10. [PR]What do you think of the new album? Grab one MP3 from it above.
01. Parenthetical Girls - If it's a time for Christmas (2:46)
02. Ween - Silent Night (1:40)
03. Andrew Dost (Anathallo) - Yeah, I Know, It's Christmastime (2:04)
04. The National Splits - Let's Wrap Each Other (2:15)
05. Louis Armstrong - Santa Claus Blues (2:51)
06. Scott Allen (Thunderbirds are Now) - Winters Wonderland (3:50)
07. The Knife - Christmas Reindeer (7:11)
08. Melt Banana - White Christmas (1:42)
09. Thick Pigeon - Jingle Bell Rock (1:30)
10. Steven Garvey - Dreidle, Dreidle, Dreidle (1:11)
11. nullsleep - silent night (2:25)
12. Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians of the British Empire - Santa Claus (3:26)
13. Holly Golightly - Christmas Tree's On Fire (2:54)
14. Deerhoof - xmas tree (2:30)
15. Palace Songs (Will Oldham) - Christmastime in the Mountains (1:30)
16. Woody Guthrie - Hanukkah Dance [Alternate Take] (1:24)
I know it's too early for this, but inspiration hit, so I went with it. Download, support the artists, enjoy, and happy holidays (Thanksgiving or whatever).
Whether Andrew Dost is still a member of Anathallo is not totally clear. Wikipedia has him as a "former member", but an update posted to Anathallo's MySpace page on August 17th doesn't make it seem like he's going anywhere - except out on the road as a solo musician for a bit.
One of those solo shows happens to be tonight (Sept 10) at Union Hall in Brooklyn, and also on that bill is The Cotton Jones Basket Ride - a Page France side-project featuring frontman Michael Nau, Whitney DeGraw (vocalist / keys), and Chris Morris on drums.
Anathallo will be back in NYC for CMJ. Will that be with Andrew Dost? I don't know. A whole bunch of tour dates are below....