Entries tagged with: Arrington De Dionyso
K Records magnate Calvin Johnson (of Beat Happening, Dub Narcotic Sound System et al) has a few East Coast/Midwest dates this week, including a show on Wednesday (5/22) at Ran Tea House with labelmate Ian Svenonius' Chain & the Gang, and Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat dan Singa, and the NYC live debut of Erin Earthling. Tickets for that show are on sale now.
Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat dan Singa also play another NYC show on Friday (5/24) at Secret Project Robot with Aye Aye Rabbit (featuring Greg Saunier of Deerhoof), Many Mansions, and The Drunken Foreigner Band.
In other K Recs news, as mentioned, Heather Rose Dominic's 1998 documentary The Shield Around the K will screen next Friday (5/31) at Videology in Williamsburg as part of 2013 NYC Popfest. Screening is at 5 PM and free.
All Calvin Johnson tour dates are listed below.
The 2012 edition of MusicFestNW takes place in September 5 - 9 at 18 venues in Portland, OR and will feature performances from over 150 bands, including Passion Pit, Hot Snakes, Girl Talk, Danny Brown, Beirut Silversun Pickups, Dinosaur Jr. and Sebadoh, many more.
In addition to those previously announced artists, MFNW has just added The Hives, Flying Lotus, Wild Nothing, DIIV, Quasi, Moon Duo, My Goodness, DZ Deathrays, and Strand Of Oaks to the already impressive line-up. Wristbands, available various levels and packages, and tickets to individual shows are on sale now. Check out the complete MFNW lineup below.
Trash Talk in Austin during SXSW (more by Diana Zadlo)
tonight in NYC
* Todd Barry @ Caroline's
* Pat Metheny @ Town Hall
* Flobots @ Gramercy Theatre
* Inlets @ Permanent Records
* Jefferson Starship @ BB King's
* So Percussion @ The Whitney
* The Beets, Acrylics @ Brooklyn Fire Proof
* Visqueen, The Art of Shooting @ Union Hall
* Child Abuse, Orphan, Dead Body @ Union Pool
* LCD Soundsystem, Holy Ghost @ Terminal 5
* Rooftop Films w/ Frances @ Open Road Rooftop
* Immortal Technique, more @ Santos Party House
* Paul Metzger, Amen Dunes @ Issue Project Room
* Buffalo Tom, Mean Creek (early) @ Mercury Lounge
* Buffalo Tom, The Candles (late) @ Mercury Lounge
* Pearl Jam, Band of Horses @ Madison Square Garden
* A Proposition by Matthew Barney @ The New Museum
* Ecstatic Sunshine, Dan Friel, Starring @ Silent Barn
* Fuck Buttons, Oneohtrix Point Never @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Secret Country, The Defibulators, John Foti, Holy Moly @ Maxwell's
* Trash Talk, La Dispute, Cerebral Ballzy, Psychic Limb @ The Acheron
* Ava Luna, Nicole Hale, Ridgemont, Like Claws @ Bushwick Music Studios
* Alexisonfire, Trash Talk, La Dispute, Therefore I Am @ Bowery Ballroom
* Medications, Deleted Scenes, Paul & The Patients, Birthwat @ Bruar Falls
* Paleface, Hoots & Hellmouth, Among the Oak and Ash, Daniel Wayne @ Southpaw
* Truman Peyote, Many Mansions, Beach Arabs, Philip Seymour Hoffman @ Party Expo
* Malaikat dan Singa, When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, Numerators @ Death By Audio
* Archipelago w/ ACME & Craig Wedren, Corey Dargel & ICE, more @ Galapagos
* Outtacontrollers, Girls at Dawn, Crusaders Of Love, Foster Care, WLWL @ Cake Shop
* Wax Poetics party w/ Noel & Chico Mann, DJs Stay High & Tha Pumpsta (late) @ Glasslands
* Cotton Candy, The Smittens, Allo Darlin, Pants Yell!, Tender Trap (NYC Popfest) @ Don Hill's
* Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk, Silver Stairs of Ketchikan, Coasting, Earthmasters @ Shea Stadium
* Project Jenny, Project Jan, Swimming in Speakers, Carnivores, Sunglasses @ Monster Island Basement
* Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson, Savoir Adore, Botanica, Little Annie, Paul Wallfisch, Barbez, Services, Franz Nicolay, Lapis Lazuli, Black Sea Hotel @ Angel Orensanz
* Ingrowing, Communion, Flourishing, Backslider, Buckshot Facelift @ the Charleston
Killing Joke won't play tonight, but will be in NYC in December.
Naughty by Nature and Black Sheep won't play tonight either.
"In celebration of Wax Poetics' Hip-Hop Issue & Latin Freestyle, Kenny Herzog & Wax Poetics Present: Noel (of "Silent Morning" Fame) & Chico Mann (of Antibalas) w/ DJ Sets From The Original Whiteboy KYS, R.Kenny, The Pumpsta, Stay High." Tonight at Glasslands. Flyer and video below.
Arrington de Dionyso's (Old Time Relijun) new project (& touring band) Malaikat Dan Singa make their Brooklyn debut tonight at DBA.
Trash Talk play tonight. Early and LATE.
Pavement and Grizzly Bear tickets went on sale.
Matthew Barney is at the New Museum tonight. Some of his below...
Slayer played Kimmel! Video below...
photos by Ryan Muir
I take on more than I can handle. That results in a lot of unposted content. In the name of catching up, while also taking it easy during this final week of the year, here's some of that lost material.
Happy Holidays! A set of pictures of Arrington De Dionyso taken at Public Assembly during the 2009 Northside Festival are continued below...
photos by Tim Griffin, words by Andrew Frisicano
You Are Here (The Maze) is underway at Death By Audio. Last Friday (9/11) featured music from A Place to Bury Strangers, The Sian Alice Group, Nine 11 Thesaurus (pictured above and below), Experimental Dental School and Reading Rainbow. Tim stopped by early, before heading to Wild Beasts at Union Pool followed by The Intelligence at Market Hotel. Tim liked Nine 11 Thesaurus and appreciated the art, but wasn't a huge fan of The Maze from the point of view of someone actually wanting to see the bands who are playing. As you can sort of see in the picture above, you walk through a maze which ends at the stage where just a few handfuls of people can actually see what's going on... but maybe that's the point.
You can see more of the new setup in the pics below, or you can head over there yourself. Tonight (9/14) features music from a collection of K Records artists - label founder Calvin Johnson, Arrington de Dionyso and Desolation Wildnerness - with Regattas and City Center (who, with Desolation Wilderness, played at Cake Shop Sunday with the Intelligence). City Center, re-figured somewhat recently into a duo, is on tour (dates below).
Arrington de Dionyso, whose new record ,Malaikat dan Singa, comes out on the label November 3rd, plays two sets at Bowery Poetry Club's ESP Disk Live, with Calvin Johnson doing the other, on September 15th. He's also at Santos's Musicka Mystica Maxima Fest on September 21st and returns to DBA for a collaboration with co-curator Sam Hillmer on September 24th (full Maze schedule).
More pictures and tour dates are below...
Sam Hillmer (left) playing with Zs @ the Yard (more by Sarahana)
You Are Here (The Maze) is a performance festival in a sculptural maze taking place at Williamsburg's Death By Audio from September 10 - October 2, 2009. Emphasizing the sprawling and interconnected nature of New York's underground, a trip through the maze offers a peak inside NYC's diy art/music scene. A meditation on passage and desire, You Are Here engulfs the space and presents beckoning inhabitants, dead ends, and uplifting epitaphs. Medium and genre vary and overlapping and simultaneous performances are frequent, each performer establishing a different corner or dead end as his or hers.The lineup and installation is being put together by TROUBLE (Sam Hillmer & Laura Paris). Acts in the three-week schedule include Calvin Johnson, Screaming Females, Mick Barr, Ty Segal, Grooms, Extra Life and others.
Skeletons kick off the first night of the festival on September 10th as the Skeletons Big Band, a 12-piece band (expanded from their usual four) that's also playing September 7-9th at Roulette. There they'll be performing "New Works for a Larger Ensemble" which includes "excerpts and new arrangements from their record in progress "PEOPLE," a long form piece based around conversations in Greyhound busses and stations, and beyond..."
The full schedule for the Maze (and the lineup for Skeletons Big Band) is below...
Sam Hillmer & Laura Paris, who dubbed their art collaboration Trouble, had the first You Are Here festival in 2007, at 44th street between Sixth Avenue and Broadway. Paris drew out the floor-plan of the maze, while Hillmer, who plays tenor saxophone for the Zs, booked bands to play in the space and coordinated efforts to bring people inside to interact with the maze.According to the promoter, "Medium and genre vary and overlapping and simultaneous performances are frequent, each performer establishing a different corner or dead end as his or hers." Sounds fun.
"It didn't seem like the kind of thing that could just sit in a gallery, it needs constant traffic," Hillmer explained. "That is the piece, people dealing with the situation [presented by the maze]."
This year's festival, scheduled for Spetember 10th through October 2nd, will take up the entire space of Death by Audio and feature a maze constructed out of salvaged doors from Built It Green, a nonprofit organization that sells surplus building materials. The space will also have woodchip-covered floors ("to reference mazes built out of bushes," Hillmer notes). The twists and turns of the venue will be littered by some 200 of Paris' sculptures, molded from some of her pieces and then cast repeatedly. [Greenpoint Gazette]
The preliminary lineup (aka almost a month's worth of shows at the venue while the maze is up) mixes interesting out of town names (Calvin Johnson, Ty Segal, The Coathangers) with local acts like Skeletons (as 'Skeletons and the Kings of All Cities'), Mick Barr (he is local right?), Extra life and Stars Like Fleas. Full lineup to be announced soon but more of it is below, along with video footage of the first Maze (starring Dave Longstreth, Thee Oh Sees and others), and other details and the flyer for the new Maze...
photos by Chris La Putt
Bell @ Mercury Lounge April 27th, 2009
Bell is playing a "Sound Fix Presents" Northside Fest show, not AT Sound Fix which no longer hosts live music, but at Berry Park - on Saturday, June 13th with Death Vessel, Arrington De Dionyso (Old Time Relijun), Teengirl Fantasy and Weekends. Either a Northside badge or $10 at the doors, which open at 8pm, will get you in.
Death Vessel, who is also on the Sound Fix bill for June 13th at Berry Park, has a show at the Bell House with Grant Hart (ex-Husker Du) coming up on June 1st.
The above and below pictures of Bell are from her Monday, April 27th show at the Mercury Lounge with Bowerbirds, Lost in the Trees and La Strada. Photos of those bands were previously posted. The rest of the Bell pictures below...